• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Kick is NOT a good approach.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well this is epic. I feel bad for the "show ya moves guy" His knee of justice cant bankcock people in the nuts anymore =/
I know this has nothing to do with the original thread, but I'd like to contradict this...

I was playing online and a Diddy did the usual Diddyhump recovery. I predicted the height correctly and kneed him in teh nuts for the kill.

>_>

..twice.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
a lot moves can be shield grabed -__-
it's not a crazy good move of course but if u know how to use it, it'll help out a lot

marth's fair = godly approaching move and it can also be shield grabed when used wrong

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Use Falcon Kick to punish from far away or if they're dashing at you (they can't shield in time unless they see it coming). I never use it as an actual approach unless I think I've tricked them. (I do a bunch of empty crouches sometimes to see if they roll or do something punishable)

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
The thread should be titled "Falcon Kick is not a good approach....and, sadly, is still one of Falcon's best options for approach"

Falcon's best approach is like...probably the dash attack? Do you see our predicament here?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The thread should be titled "Falcon Kick is not a good approach....and, sadly, is still one of Falcon's best options for approach"

Falcon's best approach is like...probably the dash attack? Do you see our predicament here?
I think you can change the title of this thread to "Captain Falcon is not a good approach."

I mean, he's a badass and all, but aside from that?

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think Falcon kick is good as a pseudoapproach- or rather a counter-approach, since it kinda beats alot of moves, and the speed can catch people who are either in initial dash phase, starting a (weaker) dash attack, or in pre/post aerial lag. Hitting someone with it can be the beginning of your momentum in the game.

You main Ike now, Tenki?
Nope. lol some people in the Sonic boards freaked out when I changed my ava/main pic to Snake, which was my first 'change' `.`;

Just picture-hopping and making random sigs every few days.

and speaking of pictures, hahaha@kallen+Suzaku

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falcon has no good approaches.

The Falcon kick just sucks less than most of the **** Falcon might be able to do. =P

There are like four other options for Falcon, and they aren't all that good either.

Dash attack
Aerial
Up-smash
Dash Grab

The dash grab is arguably the best of those four, but it too sucks a lot when you miss with it, and you really have to touch your opponent to grab someone with Falcon.

whitey whitey14

Smash Rookie
See what you need to do is change it up a bit, and not do the same approach each time. Like i might start with the falcon kick, then next time use the >B, then the up smash. All i am saying is that the best approach is the unexpected approach.

SecretofMana

Smash Cadet
See what you need to do is change it up a bit, and not do the same approach each time. Like i might start with the falcon kick, then next time use the >B, then the up smash. All i am saying is that the best approach is the unexpected approach.
True, except all three of those moves are stopped by the exact same counter; a shield-grab. The basic idea holds water, of course. As you said, the unexpected approach is best.

The problem with Falcon is approaching in general is very difficult, in my opinion.

Tenki

Smash Hero
then find baits and counters to shield grabs. `.`

In a sense, Falcon and Sonic sort of rely on reading their opponent's reactions to get in a hit (or grab) and start building momentum. If you attack at the same time, stagger your timing so you either hit them before their attackbox comes up or space yourself and attack when they're in post-attack lag.

SecretofMana

Smash Cadet
And that is why, in my opinion, Falcon Kick can be a so-so approach, with only a chance of success, but not a good one. It's just too risky most of the time.
Tricking your opponent like that is a much more effective form of approaching.

However, having not used Falcon Kick very often in battle, I may be very mistaken.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
You're missing alot of approaches...
Tall characters *Snake, ROB, Marth* can be short hop kneed or low uaired. You could jump over your target and bair them, or falcon kick down into them *not a good idea unless they don't expect it or try to attack, its got some good priority, beats tornado* You can approach and sidestep right next to them, or powershield a counter-attack., then follow up with a grab. You could auto-cancel dair them.

Falcon has a ton of approaches, its just that they are all tricky to use and require good reading on your opponent to utilize.

GenG

Smash Lord
Also, a misplaced Falcon Kick at low percentages leads most the time to a free hit for the one receiving it due to the low hitstun and knockback.

Roager

Smash Ace
Falcon is not a bad character. My opinion. If you disagree, fine. The point is, one of his disadvantages is his lack of truly good approaches. This matters a bit more when we consider the fact that he has no projectiles. He can't play defensively very well, like Toon can. However, he can still manage offense, especially if the opponent takes advantage of Falcon's lack of projectiles by spamming their own. Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost (mainly kick) clink with a lot of projectiles. So, if Falcon gets close enough, he kicks, clinks, and is immediately ready to attack. Falcon has few approaches. Deal with it. That doesn't make him a bad character.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Falcon is not a bad character. My opinion. If you disagree, fine. The point is, one of his disadvantages is his lack of truly good approaches. This matters a bit more when we consider the fact that he has no projectiles. He can't play defensively very well, like Toon can. However, he can still manage offense, especially if the opponent takes advantage of Falcon's lack of projectiles by spamming their own. Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost (mainly kick) clink with a lot of projectiles. So, if Falcon gets close enough, he kicks, clinks, and is immediately ready to attack. Falcon has few approaches. Deal with it. That doesn't make him a bad character.
In my experience, when I clink a projectile my opponent seems to have the upper hand, because they usually try to follow it up whether or not it hits you.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Kick beats Tornado, which is one of the main problems I have against MKs. I've KOed MK's with kick before too, so its usefulness is boosted. Only problem is low percent kicks can earn you a sword in the face. Now if only kick outprioritized shuttle loop...

Top Bottom