• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco vs Wolf help

Mejin

Smash Cadet
I picked up falco ever since melee, and i've been stubborn and decided to stick to him.
But, whenever i play against my cousin's wolf, i never seem to win.
My cousin's wolf spams that bair and his smashes tend to come out faster than mine.
I use a chain grab to get him up to about 50%, but besides that, it's hard to rack up damage. Also, falco doesnt have that many kill moves.
How is a falco player supposed to beat a wolf?
Is falco simply worse than wolf?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Yeah, it'd be nice to have more general information first. What are you doing more than CGs, and what are his general habits?

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
if you can cg then why you just dont pull of a combo from that? that will make you kill him. and also, change your patern if not, he will own you

The true_blade

Smash Cadet
dont be predictable and back air him 2 works pretty good also use ur speed and better projectiles to camp him if theirs no other way to win

Mejin

Smash Cadet
Often, i'll rack up damage faster than him. I've been using a lot of bairs lately and i started using a shield-grab chain grab and getting an up-smash out of it at the end. But, even when he's at like 150%, my f-smash and bairs usually don't have the power to kill him. A good up-smash or D-smash could kill him, but those tend to be harder to land.

Pnguyen1028

Smash Rookie
Usmash is good to kill with, but Dsmash doesn't kill too well. It's good for racking up damage though.

The problem is his whole move set. The skills that kill are also the skills that rack up damage. It's the same with fox. With diminishing returns in play, Fsmash won't kill if you used it to rack up damage :(! Bair's are amazing, but again, they rack up damage and is a good approaching move, but with diminishing returns... sometimes it doesn't KO... even at 150%.

All of wolf's smashes are so good. Even his aerial game is good! Fair is quick, Bair is broken, Uair has crazy priority, and Dair spikes! Pretty much all his moves kill. Even his AAA combo has good knockback.

Maybe you should consider a new character... thinking TL :).

Nite

Smash Champion
I usually get kills with u-airs, u-smashes, d-airs, and f-smashes. U-air is really good in my opinion. Keep chaingrabbing until like 50 like you said. Then I usually come out of that with a little combo, like a dash attack cancel upsmash or just simply a f-smash. Standard combos seem to work well, like d-throw > dash attack > u-air. If they have enough %, then u-air is a good choice. D-air to u-air works well for me to get the kill. I'd camp him also. Laser spam and shining him works for me. Just keep at it and practice, try new things. You'll get around to beating him.

Mejin

Smash Cadet
I tried camping a little bit during fights with somebody else, and it really does help a lot.
My Bairs get back a lot of the power they had and it becomes a lot easier to kill. I'll try it against my cousin next time he comes over.

neji49

Smash Cadet
I recently fought an extremely tough Wolf and would have won had I not suicided with my forward-B. One thing that helped me is lots of rolling and use your reflector to disrupt his combos. That really helps.

Popertop

Smash Champion
try to work tilts and shines into your combos.
don't let him pin down any of your patterns, add variety, at this stage it's all about mindgames, keep yours going and stop his.

thorshand

Smash Rookie
I'm also having LOTS of problems defeating Wolf. He just seems all powerful. I play Falco and Pickachu, but neither has much success. Still searching for a strategy over here, let me know if you guys find one!

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
i dont really have trouble against wolf, the one that gives me trouble is another falco.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to spam with your foward smash becuase Wolf can just use his to counter. That's one thing I learnd from playing Drak yesterday. Wolf's f-smash bests Falco's f-smash no matter what. Also I seem to have the most trouble with playing against other Falco's too.

Beowulf Lee

Smash Rookie
1. Save your U-Smash and F-Smash until the end for the kill. You can still use them, but use them sparingly.
2. From 0-50% chain grab. (But you're already doing that).
3. Spam rolls like a *****.
4. Spam Reflector.
5. If not in reflector range, spam Blaster twice (watch out for his reflector), then get closer.

6. If you manage to get right in front of him or right behind him, spam your A attack. Once he DI's away, roll back so he can't hit you with his F-Smash. (<---- Seriously, use this. This thing racks up damage quite nicely, is fast, has incredible range, and best of all, very hard to punish.)

abcde560

Smash Rookie
I picked up falco ever since melee, and i've been stubborn and decided to stick to him.
My cousin's wolf spams that bair and his smashes tend to come out faster than mine.
I use a chain grab to get him up to about 50%, but besides that, it's hard to rack up damage. Also, falco doesnt have that many kill moves.
actually wolf was made better than fox so any wolf you fight will have a little advantige

neji49

Smash Cadet
Beowulf Lee has the exact tips for you to follow. I uesd them against a Wolf and although I lost the first two matches, they were close and I started winning once I mastered them.

montyalbo

Smash Apprentice
1. Save your U-Smash and F-Smash until the end for the kill. You can still use them, but use them sparingly.
4. Spam Reflector.
5. If not in reflector range, spam Blaster twice (watch out for his reflector), then get closer.

6. If you manage to get right in front of him or right behind him, spam your A attack. Once he DI's away, roll back so he can't hit you with his F-Smash. (<---- Seriously, use this. This thing racks up damage quite nicely, is fast, has incredible range, and best of all, very hard to punish.)
Are you sure you should be spamming rolls?
They seem really punishable to me. Especially with Wolf.

Finaite

Smash Rookie
Try seeing if he has any habits. How he likes to play his air game, or neutral game. Does he like spamming smashes, or does he just stick to strong attacks? Does he spam any attacks? Use it to your advantage, the the timing down. The more you play him, the more you'll realize the repitition in his attacks.

Don't worry about never beating him, because you'll keep getting better realizing these patterns and training your reflexes. Hm. All I can really suggest is try to short hop then forward a and try to keep that attack going, or short hop and fast fall down a I guess. Falco's all about surprise. Try spiking too, not only with down air but also with phantasm. It'll scare the **** out of him if he's not ready.

Roll a lot too. Everyone who posted here has good advice.

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
Im a Wolf player and when I face my friend's Falco his chaingrab could most often lead into a spike. It seemed impossible to stop once I had been grabbed! However I realised on stages with platforms the Chaingrab > Spike cannot work, because I stand on a platform and let him get me to about 40% (as I hit him with a few moves as he tries to hit me). Then I actually start fighting.

Before I figured this out he was winning almost everytime! Ive also noticed as Wolf I can often survive upto around 170% atleast when fighting Falco.

Heres what used to happen before I camped on platforms to take 40% and prevent chaingrab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7hjPZ38zA

Nite

Smash Champion
actually wolf was made better than fox so any wolf you fight will have a little advantige
Not really. Character match-up is all the matters in that argument, so just because Wolf was made to be a good character doesn't mean that other characters that aren't as good won't have an advantage against him. Falco can chaingrab, laser camp, he has a nice reflector as well, so I haven't found this match-up to be that hard. I 3 stocked my friend's Wolf yesterday by just chaingrabbing, spamming, comboing, etc... It's not like his Wolf is just a noob either, he beats me from time to time, but I found it a pretty easy fight with Falco.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Like I said about vsing Pit, short hot shine approach? Is it possible to shine late enough so it reflects any campy blasters and yet hit them for extra dmg with the shine itself?

B1ah

Smash Rookie
It seems that playing defensively works well with wolf, sure he has his reflector, but just phantom it and quickly back up seems to work well, ofcourse chain grabing him as soon as you can helps a ton. One thinfg I find anoying is wolfes laser, it has enough range to hit youover 4/5 the distance of your phantom dash, but not enough to get back at wolf when reflected.

IAW

Smash Rookie
It's easy

My friend mains wolf (or rather he did). I liked falco a lot but I had a lot of trouble against wolf too, but there is one easy solution. If you plan enough ahead you can get your chaingrab to end around the ledge. Then all you have to do is dash -> short-hop -> Dair for the spike and the kill. Wolf cannot get back from this if he is 37-50%. Even if you are getting punished trying to get a shield grab off just be patient... it's worth it. It is a one combo kill, so even if he racks you up to %70 damage before you get off this one move it is still worth it.

Massiveguns

Smash Apprentice
4. Spam Reflector.

you are VSing wolf please dont spam roll (PLEASE!) it is rare that spamming anything is good accept lasers wolf cant compete with you in the air so keep him there (i really like SH down airs vs wolf he has very few counters to it and his grabs are less the deadly. dont lets yourself develop a pattern and keep him in the air

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
You can't be serious can you?

Your getting beaten by someone that spams?

I haven't had much experience fighting good Wolfs as I haven't got my Wi-fi connection set up, but I have the experience of using Wolf. I have found that Falco is far superior. Wolf is slow and clumsy and only his smash attacks seem to be superior to Falco's, from what I've played. Falco has much more variety and you should be able to beat the wolf. Like I said, I haven't had much experience against Wolf, but try difference things. Wolf isn't that good.

holysnap

Smash Cadet
Omg I know what you mean, I hate fighting a wolf. All they do is spam their blaster and falcos reflector doesnt really reflect all that well. The only way to approach them is from air, the only move I seem to pull off on them is my bair. when I get close they do AAA combo, and when I am out of range they just use Fsmash and God that smash is annoying. I just try to get him in the air and try to be in his face all the time. Using my Phantasm alot to suprise him. I'll also go for a chaingrab on him whenever possible.
Basically when your on the edge you can never recover when A, he will just use Fsmash on you and you will end up at the exact same place except now your more frustrated and have more damage racked up on you.
What I really hate is when I face my friend that mains Wolf and I also use Wolf I always win.
Need a good strategy against wolf using falco desperately.

I know I still win with Falco some of the time, but I can't seem to pull of any killing move, It usaully ends with an edgeguarded bair or spike on my part. His Fsmash is just superior to mine, same with Dsmash and USmash it seems.

Top Bottom