• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco or Wolf?

Wolfandike

Smash Apprentice
my friend and I are debating he says people who main falco have more skill butI say people who main wolf have more skill. I told him that its just that falco's moves cheap and stuff that you don't need as much skill and I said that wolfs ats are hard to learn and master there for if a falco and a wolf are on the same playing lv the person wolf actualy has the more skill just because he is harder to to use and master than falco what do you people think?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolf is ... strange and thus misunderstood.

Many people, especially newbies will tell you that Wolf is a "pick up and ****" character but the truth is far from that. Wolf can be very simple and effective but there are many things to look out for: recovery is always something that needs lots of time to learn, then you have lags, which is a major issue for newbies.
Learning all this, as well as making use of his range and keeping the right finishers smash is not something you learn within hours.

I found Falco a lot easier to learn. Although, I'm not really a great Falco yet, it took me about 3 hours or less to get the basics: Chaingrabs, Simple Combos, spikes, Laser, Shine...

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
Well i guess falco is easier to use than wolf

I actually used to main falco but he got boring for me for some reason -_-

but sometimes noobs use wolf as a spam strategies

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Meh, Wolf probably takes more skill. Falco has it easy... compared to Wolf (Not complaining)

He has a high learning curve, and I'd have to disagree with his recovery thing, you could get his recovery down within a week. Side B is easy... it's learning all the directions of the Up B. But yeah, Wolf is by far not a pick up and **** character...

However, in Falco's defense, you have to work a bit harder for a kill, and Falco has crap range on his recovery.

All in all, Falco's easier to pick up.

M@v

Subarashii!
Or you could play fox and have an even higher learning curve that pays off big in the end ^_^.

IMO

in terms of how good the character is.
Fox=wolf<Falco

Skill wise:
Fox=wolf>Falco(CG all day>_>)

I play wolf occasionally too. Fox is built for an aerial based style, wolf is built for a more ground based style(bair owns though :p)

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Does your friend want a quick fix or a character that will take a lot of practice?

Falco can do some very nasty things to his opponent, but once you get past chaingrabbing, gatling combos and spiking, there isn't much left to know about Falco, one reaches the skill plateau rather quickly with him.

Wolf, on the other hand, is a loose cannon, as deadly to his opponent as he is to himself (to this day Wolf still holds the 'Disaster Master' title in my records). When a player learns to control that loose cannon, Wolf can be a brutal and deadly force.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I just tried actually playing as falco for the first time today. I got chaingrabbing first try. Ending it with dair took me another few tries. Ending with DAC wasn't too tough on my friend's GC controller. I pulled off about 30 nair > something combos in under a minute. I also did SHDL instantly, even though I never played as falco or fox in melee. It doesn't seem fair that I could show up to a tournament with that falco and throw in some bairs and do almost as well as I would with wolf.

Falco starts really quick and then slows down, in terms of imrpovement. Wolf takes a while to get everything down, because its more of the little details for wolf. At least thats how I feel.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
there really is a lot more to falco than just chain grabbing. He makes amazing use of pivot grab, short hop double laser takes a while to learn, dash attack into upsmash cancel, he also has a useful over+B cancel, etc. Maybe Wolf has a steeper learning curve but I'm not completely sure.

Ultimately it's not really a meaningful question anyway.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Does your friend want a quick fix or a character that will take a lot of practice?

Falco can do some very nasty things to his opponent, but once you get past chaingrabbing, gatling combos and spiking, there isn't much left to know about Falco, one reaches the skill plateau rather quickly with him.

Wolf, on the other hand, is a loose cannon, as deadly to his opponent as he is to himself (to this day Wolf still holds the 'Disaster Master' title in my records). When a player learns to control that loose cannon, Wolf can be a brutal and deadly force.
Indeed. One can learn how to chain grab and chain-spike with Falco, and be able to perform well. Wolf needs a lot more time, and that's just his recovery- let alone MUCH harder DACUS, due to it not being able to be a Contact DACUS, B-Air combos, etc.

So Falco's best for anyone who just wants a "pick-up and win" character along a semi-basic level, as I'm ignoring a few advanced things like the Illusion Cancel. If you want to play a character you can sink your skill teeth into, Wolf's your best bet.

(Oh, and I'll see if I can fit the last two paragraphs of your post in my sig, Chaos- it says it ALL.)

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
You can't really compare learning curves so easily between characters, it depends more on the player.
I find all Space animals around equal but that's just me. 0 lag fair, boost smash, reflector setups, wall o' wolf, recovering, scarring took me as long as falco or fox's techniques to learn.

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
wolf is less forgiving, too many SDs at first

off subject but I gave Falco a try and the rhythm is so different that it has been giving me trouble, Falco feels dramatically slower after playing Wolf but thats just me

tyler___

Smash Cadet
my friend and I are debating he says people who main falco have more skill butI say people who main wolf have more skill.
I lol'd, maining somebody doesn't make you have more 'skill'. This post just seems silly to me.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I just choose Wolf because of his handsome sexiness hehe and I love those claws of his and his demeanor towards others.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Wolf isnt really harder to use than Falco, its just takes a little more effort to win. He's really easy to pick up and play with its just that he has too many weaknesses and not enough strengths =/. You cant really say which one is harder to play because they both play different from each other. Skill is really just dependent on the player besides that fact that this match-up is horrible.

Top Bottom