• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco matchup

D

Deleted member

I really can't say anything, I'd just wait for the very experienced Falcon players to reply to this thread lol

Last edited by a moderator:

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
What I try to do, is approach with full hop on FD, and try to use the platforms to mix a little, I also look for opportunities to raptor boost when they are short hopping and whenever I get close enough I try to keep pressuring to death lol. I also feel ****ing stuck when I shield lasers,even with wavedashes OoF . and trying to short hop up-air is really hard, because of all the stun in my shield

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Full hops are a high commitment option that are predictable and easy to react to. Falcon generally doesn't full hop unless it's for movement or comboing. What you really want to do against Falco is use platforms to your advantage. Watch any good Falcon against a Falco and you'll see them flying around platforms around lasers. A waveland off of a platform affords Falcon multiple options while still avoiding lasers. If Falco is advancing with a laser, you can jump over it, waveland off, and knee the bird in the face. If he chases you onto the platforms, you can shield, shield drop uair him or just shield drop and reset to neutral. Basically, it's better than getting lasered. You can also practice powershielding (While dash dancing! Very important) against a level 1 CPU by staying far enough away, but it's slow going, and pretty tough to do in a match.

Raptor boost is pretty bad to use unless you're using it as a mixup, tech chase, or some times to punish high lasers as it lowers your hitbox. It's slow to start up, slow to move, and inconsistent in hitting the person after it triggers. If you keep doing it under lasers, the Falco can pick up on that and start shooting lower ones, so it can't be your only response. Often you can SHFFL a nair over lower and mid-level lasers, though, and it's something Falcos ***** about enough that you know it works.

You're on point with trying to keep pressure on once you're in. Even if you miss a tech chase, don't let him get away from you. Keep the DD pressure on, mindgames him into making a mistake out of a roll if you can't follow up, whatever. Just don't let him get away. He beats you in neutral because he never lets you get into neutral.

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Fullhop aerials can be okay as a mixup, but you have to be very smart about when you do them and be very mindful of your spacing.

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
,I feel like full hop on FD is a nice tool to approach because it pulls you near and you have some options like jumping again, dodge, do an aerial, fast fall, or do nothing. So you get close to Falco, and anyways doing it right you can get not hit

SAUS

Smash Ace
Full hopping is okay, just don't use it as an approach. Sometimes it's good to get from the left side of FD to somewhere near the middle while the falco is lasering you from the right side, but if you jump at him with it, he can space himself to get free grabs or shine out-of-shield and then you are in for some pain.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure you can powershield high lasers if you are running away more easily. Falcon leans over a lot while he is dashing/running, so the laser will pass over your feet but still not hit you for a bit, and then you can powershield it. Either it's easier or I just got used to powershielding it that way. I use that to deal with high lasers and I short-hop over low/mid lasers with a nair or nothing so I can late up-air or just gain a lot of distance. Dash dancing allows you to choose which way you are running very quickly, so you can cover the different laser heights if you know how to do those 2 things and can react nicely to laser heights.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Falco is really the make or break point of a Falcon's movement game. If a Falcon has great movement, this looks like a 60-40 matchup. If a Falcon's movement needs improvement, this matchup looks impossible.

Stuff to work on:
1. WD out of shield. Laser actually has very little shield stun, learning to time your movement around it will make getting a deep Shine/Dair/Nair on you or your shield hard.
2. Wave landing. Learning to FH or DJ to WL with precision will not only get you away from laser's, but will help you get in.
3. Shield Dropping. Sick of Falco just FH Dairing you like a scrub? This is the solution. Get good and not only shield dropping, but also putting a Uair out to catch them when they hit the platform.
4. Ledge Teching. Get good at SDI'ing in and teching the edge. Stops a lot of bull **** d-smash edge guards.
5. Power Shielding. It helps a lot. It gives you more openings and you need everyone you can scrape together.
6. Stray Hits -> Grabs. Focus on converting stray Uairs and Nairs into grabs. Single hit Nair to grab exposes a lot of Falco players. As you face better players you can start mixing in more stomps/tomahawks to compensate for their crouch cancel shines.
7. Until they are off the level you can always regrab a tech chase on reaction. You can keep doing this until you feel you are in a favorable position (near stage edge, or can throw them on a platform) and then go for a hard read.
8. Don't Fight Falco on FD
9. DON'T FIGHT FALCO ON FD
10. If you do fight Falco on FD, never drop a tech chase.

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
I'm playing a good Falco next week, lets see how I do!! Anyways I'm recording it, I hope I can learn a lot from that.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Powershield every laser.
Powershield every nair/dair.
Stomp early aerials oos.
Dont jump into uptilt.
Smash DI every shine down and away.
Grab their side-b and dropzone them.
Dtilt if they side-b into sweetspot.
Try to always stay/dd in a range, so that your toes will touch his face if you nair. In this range Falco can't do anything.
Don't phuck up ur punishment.
Phuck up falco.

Top Bottom