• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If falco had a similar hit box to fox illusion would that be a little too good? I imagine it would reliably combo into uair or a bair and the fact that start up (and endlag maybe idk) is less than fox's could make it abusable to an extent.
Well, Fox and Falco had complete hitboxes in Melee and they weren't abusive. Only in Brawl were they, especially Falco's since not only was it intangible somewhere like Fox's, it traveled fast like Falco Phase, while having less end lag than in Smash 4. Giving it a complete hitbox would make it a bit like Melee than Brawl. Using Falco Phantasm to spike is already difficult when it's slower than Dair and Falco rockets forward in a linear path while Dair you can aim with somewhat.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So I was using some wavebounce side-b's (towards the stage still) yesterday and I was wondering...
is the range falco travels from it... different? It almost looks like it goes further.

To add onto that, is the start up/initial frames different in a non-trivial way?
Similar deal to Brawl where the animation is really misleading tricky, but if you look, Falco does start 'dashing' in one direction before suddenly reversing.
There's a possibility the hitbox starts "further back" because falco is bouncing backwards slightly (surprise hard read "stop juggling me" dodge?)

And query, is Falco's aerial lasers tied to an animation length or does it apply landing lag scenarios? I know aerial is faster than grounded, but I'm wondering if you're full hop wavebounce lasering at around the apex of your jump you actually almost nearly land straight after shooting the laser (level 9 CPUs give the best inspiration ever) and it seemed deceptively short in cooldown, but nevertheless is an interesting trick.
[using landing during the start up of a special turns it into a 'grounded' variation by the game so I'm wondering maybe this is circumventing that and maintaining aerial lag instead?]

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
True brawls was ridiculous. I just feel as far as edgeguarding this would be extremely strong. Like if an opponent is recovering and falco side bs itd either spike them or possibly ledge trump and since falco can jump after phantasm im just afraid itll cause extrenely diffcult situations for others to come back aside from the example i mentioned above. Dont get me wrong i would love a full hit box we need a little more lol

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I agree but it still has uses in certain situations. I sort of see why the hitbox was cut down, but it seems too short.
It can spike your opponent on the ledge and it's a okay good recovery option. Plus it's still pretty quick.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Something I think the devs should do with Falco's side B is either shorten it to match the Hitbox or make it so that the hitbox appears at the end of the move rather than the start. That's just my opinion though.
And query, is Falco's aerial lasers tied to an animation length or does it apply landing lag scenarios? I know aerial is faster than grounded, but I'm wondering if you're full hop wavebounce lasering at around the apex of your jump you actually almost nearly land straight after shooting the laser (level 9 CPUs give the best inspiration ever) and it seemed deceptively short in cooldown, but nevertheless is an interesting trick.
[using landing during the start up of a special turns it into a 'grounded' variation by the game so I'm wondering maybe this is circumventing that and maintaining aerial lag instead?]
I'm thinking that its tied to animation length. When shooting in the air, Falco puts away his Blaster much faster, so if he still isn't putting his Laser away when landing, he still maintains the same amount of Landing lag as if he was shooting on the ground. I'm not 100% sure however.

Right now, I'm thinking that utilizing Lasers in a Full Hop is the best way to effectively use them. Falco can fire two lasers in a Full Hop with very little landing lag. This seems particularly useful on stages like Battlefeild, since Falco can cover all 3 the upper of the upper platforms with it. It could be an ok option for chip damage if the opponent is very high in the air as well.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Full hop lasers after landing a strong hit around 60-80% is pretty helpful for closing the gap.

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
Can someone enlighten me in these topics? I have been trying to perfect the dair cancel, but it's super hard, so I'm calling for frame data.

• Short hop air time (in frames)
  • Frame in which Falco reaches the apex of his jump (in frames)
  • Amount of frames until apex of jump
  • Amount of frames after apex of jump (no fastfalling)
  • Amount of frames after apex of jump (with fastfalling in the earliest frame)
I can't test these on my own, so any help would be very appreciated.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
So I've been playing Falco a bit more and something about him that pisses me off about him is how bad his rapid jab is. The Rapid jab is not only laggy, but is easy to jump out of and takes way too long to come out, making it so that Falco is essentially at a disadvantage against characters like Marth when he Rapid jabs them. I really hope the developers fix this issue since it hampers Falco's CQC game vs light / small characters.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I agree, his jab is just too easy to get past.
I just do a "gentleman" jab 1 > jab 2 > ftilt/dtilt or if I'm feeling like I want to get punished I'll jab 1 > fsmash. When the fsmash connects I'm on top of the world.:laugh:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Regarding everyone about the jab, I checked with Brawl and Luigi and probably anyone with a frame 3 Nair or jab can still hit Brawl Falco out of it. Here's the issue though, you can only do it if you're in the air and mashing attack.

In Brawl: A grounded Luigi cannot Nair Falco during a full jab - that's if you hold A or tap A to go from jab 1, jab 2, and rapid jab without any stuttering or pauses. A Luigi in the air can Nair Falco during a full jab only if Falco holds rapid jab too long and Luigi is able to move away from the rapid jab. At that point, Luigi can Nair Falco and get a clean Nair or a late Nair. For partial jabs, like jab 1 or jab 1 and jab 2, on the ground, Luigi can jab back or in the air, he can Nair back. This only happens if you're (Luigi) mashing attack. In low level play, button-mashing is common, but that also extends to low level Falco players mashing their jab, so you won't see them doing jab mixups like at high level play. At high level play, mashing buttons and having the opponent realize this means they're just going to wait, they're just going to wait out your pointless mashing, punish the end lag, and only go for safe options. Jab mixups against a button-masher? Hell no, I'd rather get the safe damage from a full jab or just stay away and pelt him with lasers.

Against Fox, I wasn't able to get him to Nair during either, but I was able to mash attack and get him to jab back at Falco. Same with Mario. I'm going to assume Luigi's floatiness and slightly longer limbs allows him to do what Mario cannot.

What should be noted are 3 things: jab's hit angles, jab's total frames, and rapid jab's transition. Brawl Falco's jab 1 and jab 2 kind of look like they hit shallower than Smash 4 Falco's. In Brawl, hitting a grounded Luigi kind of made him lift off the ground slightly before getting grounded. An airborne Luigi would just get closer to the ground, but still off it while Falco hit him - I don't know where I can find Brawl Falco's hit angles. In Smash 4, Falco jabbing anyone lifts them slightly higher off the ground; jab 1's hit angles are 68, 77, and 80 and jab 2's are 80, 50, and 40. This does have impact as that means someone's going to be in the air longer and they can have longer time to get an aerial out. Against Captain Falcon? Probably won't matter as he might not able to Uair you, but against Yoshi and Luigi? It's going to matter more as they have much more time to Nair you and their clean Nairs are strong.

In Brawl, Falco was able to act at frame 16 for jab 1 and 19 for jab 2; in Smash 4, Falco is able to act at frame 23 for jab 1 and frame 26 for jab 2. That's an increase of 5 frames to his jab 1 and increase of 7 frames to his jab 2 end lag. It does not matter for going from jab 1 to jab 2, but it does matter for when going to jab 1 to Dtilt or jab 2 to Down Smash. What's happening here is what's called "posing". In boxing, when you punch, you don't want to just stand there for a split second, instead you want to punch, pull back from a confirm to followup or with a miss, pull back, and think again. Jabs in Smash aren't like in traditional fighters. In most cases, jabs are meant to followup into the rest of the combo. Hell, even the in-game tips call it a "standard attack" or "standard combo". We call them jabs because that's what they look like and pretty much do... This does mess Samus's jab philosophy, but that's another story. This is one reason why Falco's jab mixups are really risky to do compared to Sheik, Ryu, Fox, Luigi, and even Captain Falcon. Brawl Falco being able to jab to a free option wasn't much of a big deal and like I said, you can mash attack to counter Falco's option pick. It's at higher levels where people think twice and try to react that it becomes a strong tool that can still be countered - just DI out since Falco can't jab lock like pre-patch 1.1.0 Fox could.

Main issue to all of this: rapid jab's transition. It's not a true combo either in Brawl. If you have two monitors or a 3DS with Smash 4, load up Brawl and Smash 4. Pick Falco on each system and fully jab with Falco. Jab 1 will connect at the same time, jab 2 as well - maybe a frame off -, and rapid jab doesn't connect at the same time. It's not even a frame off, but more like maybe 2-4 frames off. Before patch 1.0.8, it took Falco 9 frames to transition from jab 2 to rapid jab. Patch 1.0.8 made it so it took 8 frames to transition. I don't know where you can find transition stuff for Brawl, but Xey's frame data on it suggests that Falco's jab 1 and jab 2 are the same, so in both games, jab 1 to jab 2 hits at the earliest at frame 2 and 10. All right, cool, but for rapid jab, it gets messier. Both jab 1 and jab 2 take 8 frames to transition to the next part and there's 2 frames of startup for rapid jab. In Smash 4, Falco's rapid jab hits on frame 17. In Brawl, I don't know. There isn't anything for rapid jab's transition frames. Going off of what I saw, it looks like at least 2 frames of a difference - clearly isn't 1 since that would be like seeing a stutter between the two games. Assuming so, Brawl Falco's rapid jab should hit on frame 15 or 13. The animation differences clearly show this too where in Brawl, Falco just spins after jab 2, but in Smash 4, Falco winds up before the first hit even registers. This is the same for Fair and notoriously, Dair. Source for Brawl Falco: smashboards.com/threads/in-depth-falco-frame-data.308016/.

Falco's jab is at a point where regardless if you commit to the full jab, decide to stutter it, or choose to jab mixup out of it, he's notably screwed against these characters: Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Sheik, Fox, Little Mac, Marth, Lucina, ZSS, and Captain Falcon. In the air, if someone has a frame 3 or lower aerial, they can just hit Falco if he chooses to stutter or jab mixup. On the ground characters with a frame 3 jab or below can just jab back. It's less of an issue since you can just mash jab to start a clank war if they share the same jab speed or Falco can just outspeed them like against Captain Falcon if he somehow drops his jab 1 to jab 2. Now, against other characters, jab 1's end lag puts him at a disadvantage when he doesn't confirm it. After shield drop, it's -12 and on-hit at 0%, it's -4. You're better off using Dtilt which is at most, -10 on shield, +10 with the sweet-spot, and +2 with the disjoint or use Ftilt where Falco throws out a hitbox, but quickly retracts his hurtbox instead of moving forward like with jab. In the special cases of Mario, Dr. Mario, Marth, and Lucina, they can just Up Special through his jab. Luigi and presumably anyone with a frame 6 grab can also grab Falco if he doesn't fully jab on the ground. Jigglypuff can also Rest punish Falco if he in between jab and during rapid jab if he holds it too long and let's Jigglypuff not get hit, but still near enough to hit him.

If Falco's jab had his Brawl jab end lag - jab 1 total frames would be 15 and jab 2's would be 18 -, his on-hit and on-shield frame advantages would be this. Note: shield drop is a +7 to frame advantage. On-hit formula is (h-(t-s)) where h is hit stun, t is total frames, and s is startup. Shield stuff from here: http://sixriver.web.fc2.com/ssb4/Guard_Hitstop.htm. Translation of what the boxes mean: http://puu.sh/hUBGk.png.
Move|On shield|Shield Drop|On-hit (0%)
Brawl jab 1|-12|-5|+3
Brawl jab 2|-15|-8|-1
Smash 4 jab 1|-19|-12|-4
Smash 4 jab 2|-22|-15|-8
Notice difference, huh?

Falco's jab, dash attack, and even standing grab... I don't know what's the reason for any of their changes. Jab? Falco's jab was pretty tame compared to what happened at launch with Smash 4 Fox's jab and the freakout of Link's pseudo infinite. All he did was what Sheik, Luigi, Captain Falcon, and Fox do: jab to grab or another move. Oh, yes, he was able to jab to confirm a chain-grab setup, but jab wasn't the reason for chain-grabs... And rapid jab? Look, if he can't jab to whatever as quickly, then why make his rapid jab punishable on hit? It's like you're telling us to not even bother using his jab and not telling us like with Samus's in-game "tip". Dash attack? Uh... not abusive on a character with that kind of running speed and I have no idea why his gatling combo worked in Brawl, but it did and even so, assuming there was a way to prevent that, a fast dash attack wouldn't do anything to make Falco abusive. Now, Sonic with a frame 4 dash attack, yeah, that would be abusive. Standing grab... Ganondorf's also the "slow version" of Captain Falcon, but his standing grab is the same. All "Marths", Marth, Lucina, and Roy share the same grab frames despite how fast they move, especially Roy. Luigi's grab frames were never touched despite how people have complained about his ability to get grabs. Chain-grabs are gone, so why the frame 8 standing grab? Frame 7 would have been fine as it was his Melee standing grab. So why, a lightweight and pretty much a melee fighter should have such a slow melee grab? Even Duck Hunt's frame 8 grab and Little Mac's frame 9 raises questions for me.

They could easily fix rapid jab by allowing Falco to transition quicker or they could do the stupid thing where they put a new, random hitbox like for Fox. Here's the thing, that works for Falco since he's spinning, but not for Fox when it's an actual phantom hit. Fox moves his leg to start his rapid jab and there's a hit out of nowhere that does 0.3%. He doesn't kick like say, he does a Ftilt and then readies a side kick. Okay, maybe animation change is necessary, but nobody is going to notice unless they play in slow motion. Was Fox's rapid jab even problematic? I don't know since not a lot of people use his rapid jab before patch 1.1.0 since everyone was using his double jab. Falco didn't have that luxury.

Unrelated to all of this, for those of you who have 2 3DSes or the game on both systems, could you check what 1.0.4's patch even meant for Falco's Blaster? People found he could "shoot faster". I don't know if that means his startup was changed or his "trigger" pull was changed. So, an unpatched Smash 3DS and a patched one would be able to show this easily. It's pretty trivial, but I'm curious and a bit confused as to what it meant. It'd be very "hilarious" if it was a placebo that nobody destroyed... >_>

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Anyway, got bored again, looked up images of Fire Bird and Fire Fox, and I have a sinking feeling that Falco's Fire Bird might have more issues than just traveling shorter than Fox's Fire Fox while having the same charge time, the hits not connecting properly, etc. I don't have any evidence and this is just speculation, but something seems off. These are just still images, but see how the fire surrounding them is different?

This isn't present in the 3DS version as the fire effects are a lower quality.

Looks pretty much the same, yeah?

I have a sinking feeling that the smaller fire surrounding Falco means his hurtbox is more exposed than Fox. There is a little ball set in front of their head, but I don't know if that's a hitbox or just an effect. It could just be there for when they launch as an effect or it's actually part of the hitbox and shows where it ends. The fact Falco's Fire Bird only does at most 3% for the launch and 2% for the rest means this move has pretty much no priority. Fox's on the other hand has a charging phase that does 2% per hit, a launch that does 14%, and an 8% hit for the late hit.

In Brawl, both versions had the fire envelop them like in the 3DS version. Not sure about how good the hitboxes were in Brawl, but on the Wii U version, the fire is only surrounding with an opening for their heads to look out. The fire is also set to wrap around in front of them instead of surrounding them with their heads poking out.

Ditto in Melee where the fire was set in front of them.

Remember, this is all speculation, so it could just be nothing.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
There's not a good enough image, but it might be that Fox's smaller body or Fire Fox is a bit wider for him. For Falco, yeah, his weird, flappy fingers are poking out more than Fox who has more human-like arms and hands. Fire Bird just looks thinner. Also, Falco doesn't spin during Fire Bird unlike Fox. Spinning could have "distorted" Falco's hurtbox by moving his arms around. I have no idea how I would test any of this on the 3DS, though...

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
if the animation has body part extensions, 90% chance they're tangible and vulnerable (extremities are sometimes made invincible though; like Mario Bros' noses, and most characters toes and fingers).

Is there any scenario where you can use up-b to hit someone? I haven't put much thought into it, but in the most expressive moments of Falco I've danced into trying to making it work without success... horizontal? vertical? maybe only diagonals?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
if the animation has body part extensions, 90% chance they're tangible and vulnerable (extremities are sometimes made invincible though; like Mario Bros' noses, and most characters toes and fingers).

Is there any scenario where you can use up-b to hit someone? I haven't put much thought into it, but in the most expressive moments of Falco I've danced into trying to making it work without success... horizontal? vertical? maybe only diagonals?
Well, Falco's screwed then... It kind of looked like his arms were more to the sides in Brawl while Smash 4 raised his and Fox's arms a bit up. Difference being that Falco's hands are really chubby... I can't... It's so funny to me - his chubby, flappy fingers. I don't know why, but they just are. Star Fox Zero had to ruin it by making his fingers more slender which admittedly, was the case in all of his appearances outside of Brawl and Smash 4. It wasn't until Command where his fingers were more "bird-like" with the index being the longest and the next fingers being shorter to the previous one. Well, at least he isn't wearing gloves like in the SNES game. I'm going to miss his chunky fingers...

Anyway, for hitting Fire Bird... I don't know anything that you can do out if it. I remember seeing a video where Westballz killed off the top with Fire Bird... in Melee. The hitboxes were probably better in Melee. Fox can do that stupid setup where he D-throws into Fire Fox, but Fire Fox can actually connect you into the launch hit unlike Falco's where it's mostly hit and sometimes miss. You could try spacing it, but I think it only works if you go diagonally since going straight at someone can make them fall out of it. Hilariously, Fire Bird has autolink angles for the travel part, but it just doesn't work properly... You can't do what Charizard does where if you use it up close, Fly's going to miss, but if you're directly below someone, you can catch most of Fly. I think the charging hits are what's causing it to whiff the travel. Fire Bird's charging hits have a hit angle of 70 degrees while Fire Fox's have a hit angle of 110; Fire Bird's charging hits are sending people up and away from Falco - where Falco's facing? - while Fire Fox seems to be sending them up and into Fox. Knockback is also slightly higher; Fire Bird's both 40 for charging hits while Fire Fox's 28 base and 30 growth. The launch part of Fire Bird sends people at a 361 or Sakurai angle, so, once again, away from him if I'm understanding Sakurai angles correctly and with 30 base and 50 growth. After that, they start autolinking. For Fire Fox's, both the clean and late hit send people at an 80 degree angle with 60 base and growth. Hit angle on Fire Fox's launch doesn't really matter since it's just 1 hit unlike Fire Bird. Er... I'm going to guess, but the most "reliable" way would probably to try to get the autolink hits, but that doesn't happen until frame 49. Yeah...

Fire Bird's just... eh... It's probably the most useless recovery move with a hitbox to try and hit people with let alone kill. Whenever I gimp someone with it, I feel sad that it happened... It shouldn't happen with this crappy move. Of all the moves to not change or "Wolfify"... Not really on-topic... but would anyone be bothered if Falco didn't have Fire Bird and had something like this instead?

It fits with Falco being the hand fighter to Fox's kick fighter. Hell, it could travel like Little Mac's aerial Rising Uppercut and it would be a safer move because of significantly faster startup. Falco would lose the ability to choose multiple directions in return for like a frame 4 or 7 Up Special that could potentially kill, be setup from something, have armor or invincibility frames, and travels like barely anywhere compared to Fire Bird, but hey, at least it would hit properly. :p

Also, I figured something out how to make Falco's Bair broken. Y'know the late hit? Yeah, let's remove it. After that, let's reduce the total frames to say, 29. Do you know what that is? That's a Wolf Bair except 2 frames faster, has 1 less active frame, but stronger than Wolf's. Yeah... Being able to spam a frame 4-5, 13% move like that would pretty much cross the line over oppressive to just plain stupid. Well, they did remove Falco's Uair sour-spot, reduced the damage by 1%, and reduced the knockback a bit, but that ended up giving us a Rosalina Uair with the utility of ZSS's Uair. The range isn't Rosalina's, but the power is, especially combined with Falco's jump height. Back then, it was stronger than Rosalina's, but lacked the utility of ZSS's. So, who knows, we might end up with a frame 4-5, 11% or 12% Bair that has no late hit, but is spammable as frick. Constant damage like that is pretty insane. Ask DK when he Bairs you to infinity - yes, I know DK's Bair has a late hit - or when Sheik piles damage upon damage with Fair or well, Falco and ZSS with their Uairs. Wolf had the ability to spam his Bair, but he did anywhere from 9% to 13% - it's not guaranteed to be constant. Does Falco need this? Not really since like I said, this Bair could break the game. At the same time, Falco doesn't really need a late hit since his Bair is no longer like his Melee and Brawl Bair that lingered and had a front hitbox. I mean, they could do something like Falco's Bair does 10%, but the knockback growth is increased to 145 which could actually put his Bair up to his current Bair even though it does 10%, however, because of the lower damage, staling it means much more than staling his current Bair that does 13%.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I would really love it if they increased the knockback of Fire Bird so it would kill at 120% / 110% in the middle of the stage like it could in melee. Could allow Falco to create some cool frame traps on stages like battlefield and dreamland.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I would really love it if they increased the knockback of Fire Bird so it would kill at 120% / 110% in the middle of the stage like it could in melee. Could allow Falco to create some cool frame traps on stages like battlefield and dreamland.
They would have to increase the knockback by a lot. The last hit only does 2% with 70 base knockback and 90 growth. I wasn't able to get it to kill until 470% on Pit on the 3DS. kenniky, assuming he was able to connect all of the hits wasn't able to kill Mario until 461%: http://smashboards.com/threads/kill-percents-on-all-relevant-moves.407089/.

Making it so the launch hit has a strong hit would kind of defeat the purpose of Distant Fire Bird. It could render it like how Falco's current Burst Blaster is just a chip damage projectile completely overshadowed by Fox's default Blaster. In Falco's case, making the launch hit stronger would bring it closer to Fox's Fire Fox and make Distant Fire Bird a Fire Bird that travels slightly further, takes about 10 frames more to launch, has no charge hitbox, and travels slower. Not exactly stuff you'd want as an option, especially when I wasn't able to kill with Distant Fire Bird's launch hit until 409% while the late looping hits don't even kill. Yeah, great... Just checked and Falco's Distant Fire Bird's early hit has even less knockback than Fox's Fire Fox late hit. Falco DFB does 8%, has 65 base, and 45 growth while Fox's late FF does 8%, has 60 base and growth.

Making the last hit do more knockback wouldn't be much of an issue. Wolf's Fire Wolf's last hit does 3%, has 80 base, and 131 growth. Still, I don't think Fire Wolf kills well compared to Twisting Fox or Fire Fox. Even then, the difference between Fire Wolf and Fire Bird's last hit is 1%, 10 base difference, and 41 growth difference. And then there's the question of how you're going to connect that when I think the charging hits and the launch hit aren't allowing Falco to connect Fire Bird's looping hits properly. Even the charge hit kind of has a wonky hitbox; Ness is clearly inside of Fire Bird, but doesn't get hit at all. I think the fire animation comes first before the hitbox, but when Fire Fox happens, I think it connects a bit better. In a way, you could say the existence of Fire Bird is a problem for Falco. Compared to other Melee clone moves or similar moves like say, Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball, there's no strengths to offset the differences. So, Dark Dive vs. Falcon Dive; Dark Dive in Melee killed early, was multi-hit, and was electric instead of fire. I don't know if it had shorter range, but (according to the wiki) it couldn't grab people past the ledge unlike Falcon Dive. Okay, it's kind of stronger than Falcon Dive like how Fire Fox was just better than Fire Bird, but the difference is what happened after in Brawl. Dark Dive is weaker now, but it has an uppercut hitbox while Falcon Dive is all grab and if you whiff, Captain Falcon's vulnerable unlike Ganondorf who has some kind of safety net at the peak of his Dark Dive. The Super Jump Punches? Great example as they all do different things with strengths and weaknesses that don't make the other version just inferior. Mario's is a good combo extender and can sometimes kill off the top, Dr. Mario's a kill move with one strong hit, Luigi's a hit or miss, a gamble move that's an incredibly powerful punish. Which is better? Can't say as having a hit or miss move might be bad, but in those clutch moments, it could be the greatest move ever while having a combo extender might not seem great, but being able to rack up damage adds up over time.

Fire Bird vs. Fire Fox is essentially inferior vs. superior. Adding in Fire Wolf - let's assume he comes back and it's the same - and it's essentially Fire Bird is inferior to Fire Fox and Fire Wolf. Fire Bird travels less than Fire Fox, is weaker, doesn't properly connect, cannot kill at a practical percent, and still has the same charge and launch time. Fire Bird travels less than Fire Wolf, has a longer charge time, and doesn't connect properly. You end up with a move that's just outright worse since Melee, since Brawl, and continued in Smash 4. Even Distant Fire Bird is an inferior Fire Fox as it takes longer to charge, travels slower meaning Falco's easier to hit out of, and still travels less than Fire Fox.

There are 3 moves Falco has that are just worse versions of Fox's: Fire Bird, Distant Fire Bird, and Burst Blaster. Fire Bird and Distant Fire Bird are just worse versions of Fire Fox and Burst Blaster is, after patch 1.1.0, clearly worse than Fox's default Blaster. It used to be slightly better by having less end lag, but they only patched Fox's Blasters in 1.1.0, so it doesn't have any edge of Fox's default Blaster anymore. I mean, you take the time to change Falco's Up Smash, Bair, alter the animation to fit the slower Dair, and add in a rapid jab finisher and an end hit for Fair, but you just leave Fire Bird alone? It never evolved unlike his Reflector or just changed like Falco's jab, Up Smash, Side Smash, Utilt, Nair, Uair, Fair, Bair, U-throw, B-throw, or D-throw. It is the only clone move that never was changed to be or started out as something of its own unlike Ganondorf, Wolf, Lucas, Young/Toon Link, Roy, and even Lucina.

Someone suggested that Falco have an electric theme in Smash 4 early in this thread? and it would have at least made Fire Bird look different as Thunder Bird. It would also work differently because of the inherent electric element. Y'know, between this and Falco Phantasm's stupid hitbox... I'd be entirely okay if Fire Bird never existed anymore and Falco Phantasm was given to Fox with Fox Illusion's current hitbox. Why? It would mean that Falco would be forced to have different moves other than inferior Fire Fox because Falco's jump is too good and giving him a good recovery is out of the question... Meanwhile, Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, Greninja, and Lucas... And a property change to Fox Illusion while butchering the hitbox because hey, not having a hitbox on the last half of Falco Phantasm/on Falco is totally fine and Falco's stupid Falco Phantasm in Brawl was entirely his fault and Melee Falco Phantasm didn't exist... Falco doesn't have a hitbox on him or the last half, so you can slap him with anything if you stand within that last half. At least Fox Illusion can clank near the end, but Falco? You have to clank with the first half while the last half is a dead pheasant. Oh, and change Dair to be a taco kick. We totally need an oppressive crossup option since our spike was homogenized.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
They would have to increase the knockback by a lot. The last hit only does 2% with 70 base knockback and 90 growth. I wasn't able to get it to kill until 470% on Pit on the 3DS. kenniky, assuming he was able to connect all of the hits wasn't able to kill Mario until 461%: http://smashboards.com/threads/kill-percents-on-all-relevant-moves.407089/.

Making it so the launch hit has a strong hit would kind of defeat the purpose of Distant Fire Bird. It could render it like how Falco's current Burst Blaster is just a chip damage projectile completely overshadowed by Fox's default Blaster. In Falco's case, making the launch hit stronger would bring it closer to Fox's Fire Fox and make Distant Fire Bird a Fire Bird that travels slightly further, takes about 10 frames more to launch, has no charge hitbox, and travels slower. Not exactly stuff you'd want as an option, especially when I wasn't able to kill with Distant Fire Bird's launch hit until 409% while the late looping hits don't even kill. Yeah, great... Just checked and Falco's Distant Fire Bird's early hit has even less knockback than Fox's Fire Fox late hit. Falco DFB does 8%, has 65 base, and 45 growth while Fox's late FF does 8%, has 60 base and growth.

Making the last hit do more knockback wouldn't be much of an issue. Wolf's Fire Wolf's last hit does 3%, has 80 base, and 131 growth. Still, I don't think Fire Wolf kills well compared to Twisting Fox or Fire Fox. Even then, the difference between Fire Wolf and Fire Bird's last hit is 1%, 10 base difference, and 41 growth difference. And then there's the question of how you're going to connect that when I think the charging hits and the launch hit aren't allowing Falco to connect Fire Bird's looping hits properly. Even the charge hit kind of has a wonky hitbox; Ness is clearly inside of Fire Bird, but doesn't get hit at all. I think the fire animation comes first before the hitbox, but when Fire Fox happens, I think it connects a bit better. In a way, you could say the existence of Fire Bird is a problem for Falco. Compared to other Melee clone moves or similar moves like say, Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball, there's no strengths to offset the differences. So, Dark Dive vs. Falcon Dive; Dark Dive in Melee killed early, was multi-hit, and was electric instead of fire. I don't know if it had shorter range, but (according to the wiki) it couldn't grab people past the ledge unlike Falcon Dive. Okay, it's kind of stronger than Falcon Dive like how Fire Fox was just better than Fire Bird, but the difference is what happened after in Brawl. Dark Dive is weaker now, but it has an uppercut hitbox while Falcon Dive is all grab and if you whiff, Captain Falcon's vulnerable unlike Ganondorf who has some kind of safety net at the peak of his Dark Dive. The Super Jump Punches? Great example as they all do different things with strengths and weaknesses that don't make the other version just inferior. Mario's is a good combo extender and can sometimes kill off the top, Dr. Mario's a kill move with one strong hit, Luigi's a hit or miss, a gamble move that's an incredibly powerful punish. Which is better? Can't say as having a hit or miss move might be bad, but in those clutch moments, it could be the greatest move ever while having a combo extender might not seem great, but being able to rack up damage adds up over time.

Fire Bird vs. Fire Fox is essentially inferior vs. superior. Adding in Fire Wolf - let's assume he comes back and it's the same - and it's essentially Fire Bird is inferior to Fire Fox and Fire Wolf. Fire Bird travels less than Fire Fox, is weaker, doesn't properly connect, cannot kill at a practical percent, and still has the same charge and launch time. Fire Bird travels less than Fire Wolf, has a longer charge time, and doesn't connect properly. You end up with a move that's just outright worse since Melee, since Brawl, and continued in Smash 4. Even Distant Fire Bird is an inferior Fire Fox as it takes longer to charge, travels slower meaning Falco's easier to hit out of, and still travels less than Fire Fox.

There are 3 moves Falco has that are just worse versions of Fox's: Fire Bird, Distant Fire Bird, and Burst Blaster. Fire Bird and Distant Fire Bird are just worse versions of Fire Fox and Burst Blaster is, after patch 1.1.0, clearly worse than Fox's default Blaster. It used to be slightly better by having less end lag, but they only patched Fox's Blasters in 1.1.0, so it doesn't have any edge of Fox's default Blaster anymore. I mean, you take the time to change Falco's Up Smash, Bair, alter the animation to fit the slower Dair, and add in a rapid jab finisher and an end hit for Fair, but you just leave Fire Bird alone? It never evolved unlike his Reflector or just changed like Falco's jab, Up Smash, Side Smash, Utilt, Nair, Uair, Fair, Bair, U-throw, B-throw, or D-throw. It is the only clone move that never was changed to be or started out as something of its own unlike Ganondorf, Wolf, Lucas, Young/Toon Link, Roy, and even Lucina.

Someone suggested that Falco have an electric theme in Smash 4 early in this thread? and it would have at least made Fire Bird look different as Thunder Bird. It would also work differently because of the inherent electric element. Y'know, between this and Falco Phantasm's stupid hitbox... I'd be entirely okay if Fire Bird never existed anymore and Falco Phantasm was given to Fox with Fox Illusion's current hitbox. Why? It would mean that Falco would be forced to have different moves other than inferior Fire Fox because Falco's jump is too good and giving him a good recovery is out of the question... Meanwhile, Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, Greninja, and Lucas... And a property change to Fox Illusion while butchering the hitbox because hey, not having a hitbox on the last half of Falco Phantasm/on Falco is totally fine and Falco's stupid Falco Phantasm in Brawl was entirely his fault and Melee Falco Phantasm didn't exist... Falco doesn't have a hitbox on him or the last half, so you can slap him with anything if you stand within that last half. At least Fox Illusion can clank near the end, but Falco? You have to clank with the first half while the last half is a dead pheasant. Oh, and change Dair to be a taco kick. We totally need an oppressive crossup option since our spike was homogenized.
They have made drastic changes in KB before. If I'm not mistaken, Samus's new Up Smash kills 50% earlier than her up smash in 1.0.6. I think they could probably increase the damage of the last hit by 7% (so it does more damage than fox's up B) and drastically increase the KBG so that it can kill at 120%.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
First time i heard the word "taco kick" thanks Ffamran

-the more you know*~
I don't even know why it's called a taco kick, but apparently one of Iori's moves is called a taco kick. Anyway, Falco's Reflector really is treated as a projectile. If you use Reflector anywhere that isn't pointblank against an idle Link or Toon Link, they'll block it like if you shot a laser at them. I don't know, but I'm going to assume this is the same on the Wii U.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the topic of Falco's reflector, how many times have you seen the thing just fly through your opponent?
It's just so damn unreliable.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It's only active for 10 frames and it is a strange move. On the ground, it just shoots forward and only hits while shooting forward. Reflecting is another story where it reflects while going forward and back. That's simple. What's not is when you use it in the air. Frame 5 is when it first comes out, so the pointblank hit and frame 14, its last active frame is at max range. When you use it in the air, it's going to hit only in specific spots and I don't know how the hitbox is going to work like that. Unlike a regular projectile that bounces off of you or just disappears after, travels in a set path, or arcs like Bombs and Vegetables, it's this active hitbox that follows Falco. In a way, it's a bit like Mega Man's lemons or Fox and Falco's Blaster where the lasers hit depending on when you shoot.

Maybe a diagram would help? On the ground:

Falco [] [] [] [] [] Opponent - this is reasonable right? There's this set range where Reflector will hit you.

In the air, that's different when your opponent can be anywhere.
Opponent position 1​
Falco (initial hit) [] [] [] [] [] (last active frame) Opponent position 2
Opponent position 3​
Falco (ground)

Still, not sure if the hitbox are still straight in the air. Reflecting area isn't as it's going to follow Falco along the way down or up if he does a rising Reflector, but they might be a bit skewed. I think the best bet for using Reflector is using it spaced and try to hit with the middle part. That might be frame 7 or 8 which is essentially like timing a Dtilt. Using it up close works as well, but frame 5 is more or less pointblank and I'm going to guess that frame 6 is when it starts to move about his jab's range. Confirming a Reflector from Ftilt might be a safer bet. For me, Reflector's going to be used to stop bumrushing and reflecting key moves like Charge Shot. After that, it doesn't really do much.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I mostly use it for those few reasons as well, it's almost like a "Oh no you don't!" when you know someone is trying to run in on you.
I try to get in a nice sneak attack while edgeguarding sometimes but I guess the hitboxes are a bit screwy, or maybe that they just aren't big enough.

Thanks mate.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Reflector's obviously a disjoint, but it's kind of a weird disjoint. You can see it "pulse" which kind of makes the Reflector shrink to just the device and funny enough, it still hits. I think even when it doesn't hit, it can have some slight disjoint which is why I think when using it in the air, the hitbox is skewed. The hitbox might be moving slower than the hitbox. Actually, that might be the same on the ground, but on the ground, it's just a set, linear path. Reflector Void sometimes does that where at max range, the Reflector's kind of not there, but it's still hitting.

Edit: Ha, the game even tells you to fast fall Fox's Fair, except not in the way of spiking with it, but getting the right launch angle when Fox is on the ground, can recover from landing, and then run up to do whatever: "Front Air Attack – Try timing the fifth strike to hit your opponent just before you hit the ground. When your opponent bounces, that's your chance for a follow-up attack."

Meanwhile, Falco... "Fire Bird – Inertia makes this move slower than Fox's Fire Fox. If you use it while moving horizontally in midair, you'll slide along in midair for a moment." Why does this move even exist? At least it tells us about B-reversing it.

Last edited:

Jabzilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jabzilla
3DS FC
3007-8178-1682
That is why Fast Fire Bird is so much better than Normal Fire Bird, Though I would trade FFB for a Up-B kill move anytime

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
I really need to experiment with customs; I've put it off for way too long. Fast Fire Bird looks like it would fit my play style. I probably have 85% of all the custom moves. Why did they make it such a pain to unlock them all?!

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Kinda garbage, yeah. He's fun as hell and he has an excellent punish game but he just sucks so much in neutral and at a disadvantage...

Mk28

Smash Rookie
I see that in a lot of combos a falling U-Air is required for pulling off a lot of the nicer combos, can you give me suggestions or advice on how to pull these off?

Oh btw I'm on a 3DS just in case you have complicated C-stick maneuvers you might tell me.

theparadox

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't rely on using falling up as much because it does have a good amount of ending lag if you whiff, leaving you open to get punished. But if you do connect with the falling up air, you can follow it up with either a dash attack or another up air to fair, or nair to fair depending on the percent and the DI of your opponent.

Last edited:

Mk28

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't rely on using falling up as much because it does have a good amount of ending lag if you whiff, leaving you open to get punished. But if you do connect with the falling up air, you can follow it up with either a dash attack or another up air to fair, or nair to fair depending on the percent and the DI of your opponent.
Thanks for the advice on that, I thought it would be super reliable. Thanks for the insight on it. So if I couldn't rely on this what would be a solid combo starter?

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Its true it does have some landing lag, but its really short, falcos nair has more landing lag than falling upair, just saying....

Thanks for the advice on that, I thought it would be super reliable. Thanks for the insight on it. So if I couldn't rely on this what would be a solid combo starter?
Falling up air is very solid if you know when to use it...but its kind of an obvious move so you have to kind of make your opponent wiff and punish with it or trick him, i usually make my opponent approach me sh back so i can make him wiff and then fall with up air...you can also approach with it, its safer if you fall behind him gives him less time to punish you correctly and gives you more time to get away safely...also, full hops into falling upair or bair work for me sometimes...falling up air leads to so many combos, even hit confirm into kill combos on 90%~100% (youll have to hit him with the center of the move tho so you send them flying in an straigth up angel, if you hit him with the side of the move they will end up to far away to combo with anything) ....just dont overuse it, and mix it with empty hops to grabs....when i hit a falling upair on low% characters i always go for, uptilt till they reach like 40% then i follow up with bair, sometimes it combos, sometimes they are able to dodge the bair...and my favorite kill combo is, falling upair, into bair...feels so good when you pull that off :3

Last edited:

Mk28

Smash Rookie
Thanks for filling me in on what U-air can do and how to mix things up. It really helped a lot.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I see that in a lot of combos a falling U-Air is required for pulling off a lot of the nicer combos, can you give me suggestions or advice on how to pull these off?

Oh btw I'm on a 3DS just in case you have complicated C-stick maneuvers you might tell me.
Try to hit Uair with Falco's feet or his body if you use it close to the ground. You can't really hit with his back or top hitbox easily.

Its true it does have some landing lag, but its really short, falcos nair has more landing lag than falling upair, just saying...
For the record, Falco's Nair, Uair, and Bair all have the same landing lag of 15. In terms of auto-canceling, it's Bair, Uair, and Nair in that order. Bair auto-cancels before frame 4 and after frame 14 which is just 3 frames after the last hitbox ends (11), Uair auto-cancels before frame 4 and after frame 22 which is 11 frames after the last hitbox (11), and Nair auto-cancels before frame 3 and after frame 43 which is 20 frames after the last hitbox (23) and 5 frames before its total frames of 48. Also, Brawl Falco's Nair used to have 9 frames of landing lag - please revert it to this, developers.

Last edited:

Cook

Smash Master
I've started playing Falco and he's super fun, but I don't understand his jab. How do I not get hit between jab 2 and rapid jab?

Top Bottom