• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Forward Smash in Up direction

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
Hi peeps im not new to smash but ima sort of a noob at Melee.
I suck but I know how to wavedash, DI, shine, L cancel and do many other things and crap.
But whatever that's not what I want to talk about.

Im a ssb64-addict, I could be considered as a pro on it, but recently I got bored (I haven't dropped out). So I just decided to play Melee a little bit.

I think my main would be C. Falcon and Marth, and I decided to use Marth and train against a Lv. 9 CPU Falco.

Just like 5 minutes ago, Falco did a forward smash on me and my character (Marth) went all the way up and died by crossing the sky limit (or however you wanna call it). Is it a sorta glitch or did I just DI'ed ? Be nice please as I said, ima noob to Melee.

I would think this is DI, but I don't think I smashed the joystick in a direction before the hit, or if I pointed the C stick in a direction.

Thanks for responding. Im sorta confused :dizzy:

JrdnS

Smash Ace
no this isnt a glitch and im pretty sure its not DI. ive done this many times and i really dont think its DI. if you get hit in the middle of the smash youll go up. also its a lot better to train on level 1s because level 9s are nothing like humans.

darkatma

Smash Hero
falco's forward and down smashes have this property. There's a spot in between falco's legs (probably crotch region) that will send in the upwards direction. It's normal, and it's just another quirk of the game

other ones include:
if ganon hits with his crotch region, he sends in the forward direction instead of the upwards direction
marth's uptilt sends horizontally if he hits with the spot in the middle of the sword at the right timing.
the back of fox's upsmash send's horizontally.
there are plenty more, just figure it out

ThreeX

Smash Lord
fsmash your way to victory.

forget everything you know about melee.

no need to wavedash, when you can fsmash.

Vro

Smash Lord
Eggm's right. Also, I wouldn't be so cocky and call yourself a pro at 64. Also, you shouldn't train against lvl 9's; train against lvl 1's.

battousai555

Smash Ace
Just to clarify: the reason you should practice on lvl 1s instead of lvl 9s is because you should really only be practicing your tech skill while you are alone and your mind games with other people. lvl 9s not only do things that humans can't, but will cause you to develop bad habits as you adapt to their stupid patterns. I think practicing your tech skill in training mode would be the best option because you can have the CPU stand still so he won't attack you, but unfortunately you can't use the c-stick :(

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Totally depended on which part of Falco's hitbox overlaps your character's. If you are like point blank (so close that when you tilt the control stick a little bit, you push the other character) the knockback will send you vertically regardless of whether you di upwards and towards the hit or not.

Top Bottom