• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Falco: Approaches and Combos/Strings

B_Rocka

Smash Rookie
a safe option i have found for a small mixup is instead of doing a running short hopped back-air from the front, jumping over and poking from behind a character is safe. Even if shielded, from behind it is very hard to punish.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
I think he pulled off Falco's frame cancel Dair which lead to an 80% combo on DK. Not sure, but it's one hell of a punish with what you can do out of Falco's frame canceled Dair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6u8S8DQYGM.
na he did int cancel it, it just locked DK and had enough time to recover from the lagg and follow up with ftilt, DK could have teched out of it too, before the dair that is. Falco has good potential on getting high damage from locks but good players always tech.

And sorry i wast lazy i was just not checking the forum at the moment haha :p

On a personal note, what are good approaches against small targets like pikachu, greninja and tlink, you know ppl that cant get hit by bair while standing or running, i found this matchups really hard because one of my main tools pressure and killing is bair (i think thats true for many if not every falco player), so you guys can imagine the trouble im in when im facing one of those characters.

Imma tell you guys how i try to play against these character and then we all can elaborate, first of all, i start using more tilts and try to track when are they gonna short hop cuz thats when i can bair, also bair or up smash out of shield works well when they sh and atack you but stay close to you, you must be fast after his atack hits your shield and before he lands for them to hit. Although they are small and cant be hit by your bair while standing, some atacks like pikas up tilt and kirbys uptilt make the characters hurtbox bigger meaning if you block and make a bair OFS it will land, but this leaves me with no offensive options other that dash atack or fastfalling with nair last hit witch is int always safe on block due to its landing lag. One thing i do a lot to is try to trick them between rar empty jumps into ftilt, grab or bair when im about to hit the floor so it connects obviously, its a good way to make them guess. what other options can you guys suggest seem like a matchup best played by zoning and defense what do you guys think?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm pretty sure you can land Bair on Greninja, but you have to be frame perfect. You need to Bair just before you land. Hmm, maybe dash to Reflector, Jab, Dtilt, Utilt, or Down Smash? I'm not sure if Uair will even hit. Down Smash out of dash has always been a Falco thing to do, right? The CQC game of Falco I think works similarly from past games, but it was never a main focus because of how different the games functioned and because of Falco's main game plan in those games.

There's also Manny's game against Froge's Greninja you could study: https://youtu.be/VlAfQT8Qvfc.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Two ways.
You can fast fall bair and have the weaker hitbox connect just to get some percent, or you can just delay the input for Falco's bair, you get the stronger hitbox but it's a bit harder to land it consistently in a real match.

IGottaStick

Smash Cadet
My favorite Falco combo is :GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB:Repeat :chuckle:

But seriously, my favorite combo is D-Throw, (wait a split-second) InstantDashAttack InstantDashAttack InstantDashAttack. If you hit the first dash attack with the weaker hitbox, then it can jab lock.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
No no no, the best combo is
:GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second):GCA: - (half second) - down smash.
on DDD at 160%

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Tbh, i've been approaching recently with backwords empty short hop. As it really safe and porpts a reacrion from the oppenent, and I can punish missed hits or rolls with it.
Anyone else tried this?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Uhh... I just noticed that... How did... I'm going to ask an ornithologist.

Edit: Never mind. I think the guy's using equipment. Falco's Bair does not do 19%; it does 13%.

Last edited:

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Uhh... I just noticed that... How did... I'm going to ask an ornithologist.

Edit: Never mind. I think the guy's using equipment. Falco's Bair does not do 19%; it does 13%.
In the google translation of the video's title, it says custom yes)
so I guess this had equipment on.
:<

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
So as long as we talking about nothing, I have a prospect that I've never seen anyone talk about, so I'm just going to assume I invented it. I'll call it crouch dashing. It's simply rotating through crouch and walking, and you create this really slow form of movement. However, what you might think this actual has some application. It's really good at baiting people into attacking, becasue they think your being silly, or trying to make a really small step forward when trying to punish a laggy move, but you can't go in to punish it, or other wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGo8z5HXbb4&index=43&list=LLCeSEsK2RGZ7lMz6V1X1QuA
This is a freindly match I had with vex ( Around 9 minutes) You can see me ( the falco) making use of this tech from time to time.
TBH falco isn't the best charecter to use it on ( mewtwo is) and it dosen't feel all that good, ( Like it does with peach), but with how good falco's d-tilt is, it's usefull.
Just lemme get your oponions on this tech, is it useful? is it nothing at all?

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
So as long as we talking about nothing, I have a prospect that I've never seen anyone talk about, so I'm just going to assume I invented it. I'll call it crouch dashing. It's simply rotating through crouch and walking, and you create this really slow form of movement. However, what you might think this actual has some application. It's really good at baiting people into attacking, becasue they think your being silly, or trying to make a really small step forward when trying to punish a laggy move, but you can't go in to punish it, or other wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGo8z5HXbb4&index=43&list=LLCeSEsK2RGZ7lMz6V1X1QuA
This is a freindly match I had with vex ( Around 10 minutes) You can see me ( the falco) making use of this tech from time to time.
TBH falco isn't the best charecter to use it on ( mewtwo is) and it dosen't feel all that good, ( Like it does with peach), but with how good falco's d-tilt is, it's usefull.
Just lemme get your oponions on this tech, is it useful? is it nothing at all?
That's been known about for a while actually. That was a thing in brawl with Kirby or something. I don't really know how useful it is though.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow perfect pivot utilt is a pretty good for combos at early percents since falcos back side of utilt combos easier. Been messing with it a little bit and a good example is fox at around 20-25% you an dthrow pp utilt to upsmash all as a registered true combo. Anyone else tried this on other characters and/or got some other suggestions for pp uses?

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
We all know falcos reflectos can trip, but you dont have enough time to run to your triped oponent and smash him this is unfortunate and kinda depressing T_T.....BUT! I figured a way that it could work, it just work when your hanging on the edge and your opponent is wating for you to come up, in this moment you need to let go - jumps and down b as fast as posible, if the reflector triped your opponent then you have enough time to land and up or down smash him, this counts as a combo on traning, i still need to test it on real ppl, but seems like a really good option and a safe one, because if you do it right you land on stage as the ending lag of down b ends, so you can do anything as soon as you touch the ground.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I do reflector off ledge too many people dont see it coming. Nice trick with that is after jump reflector you can use ur momentum on landing on the edge to reflector again and slide off the stage without being stationary from reflector and regain invulnerable frames on ledge. As far as getting a smash after a trip i cant see that working. I believe the combo counter in training mode counts tripping in the counter but i think the opponent can move before ud have time to land and smash. Id have to see how fast its done

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
We all know falcos reflectos can trip, but you dont have enough time to run to your triped oponent and smash him this is unfortunate and kinda depressing T_T.....BUT! I figured a way that it could work, it just work when your hanging on the edge and your opponent is wating for you to come up, in this moment you need to let go - jumps and down b as fast as posible, if the reflector triped your opponent then you have enough time to land and up or down smash him, this counts as a combo on traning, i still need to test it on real ppl, but seems like a really good option and a safe one, because if you do it right you land on stage as the ending lag of down b ends, so you can do anything as soon as you touch the ground.
This is an old brawl trick but it's pretty trash in this game considering the changes to ledge invincibility. It wasn't that good in Brawl, either, it worked sometimes if you saw an opportunity but you couldn't do it on an opponent standing still because it wasn't safe on shield (which is even worse in this game).

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
I can't really endorse the whole "reflector people edge guarding me" that many Falcos do... it just screams "please ledge trump me or, if I don't have a double jump, just spike the **** out of me while I use Firebird after my laggy reflector animation ends".

I will never rely on reflector tripping, it's straight up RNG. That, and it's punishable if you don't tipper them.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
It's more viable with downB3, since that just sends 'em flying instead of tripping or causing short hitstun. Still very unsafe though.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
can work if you jump away with it, but its unsafe in general. Though I tend to use it a lot.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
I can't really endorse the whole "reflector people edge guarding me" that many Falcos do... it just screams "please ledge trump me or, if I don't have a double jump, just spike the **** out of me while I use Firebird after my laggy reflector animation ends".

I will never rely on reflector tripping, it's straight up RNG. That, and it's punishable if you don't tipper them.
thats really unsafe, im talking about entering the stage with it, but as pazx and Bluebirde said...it really dosent work in smash 4 even if you get the trip they have time to roll away...but bluebirde has a good point, if you land near the eadge while performing the down B, falco will slide offstage granting you another jump and invinibility when you grab the eadge

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So has anyone been able to get their falco to jab 1 lock?
It's probably DI and character dependent. Jab 1 and jab 2 locking might work on people who don't know about it and on characters without a quick aerial or jab, fast fall speed, and poor air speed to get out like Ganondorf, but it wouldn't work on Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Marth/Lucina.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
It's probably DI and character dependent. Jab 1 and jab 2 locking might work on people who don't know about it and on characters without a quick aerial or jab, fast fall speed, and poor air speed to get out like Ganondorf, but it wouldn't work on Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Marth/Lucina.
Not the Jab 1-2 but kind of like links infinite jab 1

InkPlum

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble landing the 3 hit true combo of Up throw - Up air.

Could anyone give me advice on landing this?

When do I buffer the jump? Does it work at all percents?

Why is Dair cancel easier to land than this bread and butter combo?

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Did not know bair could beat Ness Up B, especially without clashing/trading and forcing you to wall tech. My only luck when they up B too far for you to fair/nair/dair them in time is to use Reflector (you need a double jump to make it back up!). When they recover too low an angle to dair in time, I suppose the bair snap break (short window, but at least PK Thunder is super telegraphed) or just immaculately timed bair like in that video would do the job.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble landing the 3 hit true combo of Up throw - Up air.

Could anyone give me advice on landing this?

When do I buffer the jump? Does it work at all percents?

Why is Dair cancel easier to land than this bread and butter combo?
Just keep practicing bro youll get it, you just need to be fast, and no it dosent work at all %, it stops working at about 90%, maybe less, and in really early % like 20% or so you can sometimes manage, upthrow, upair, upair/fair/bair.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
If they get all snarky and DI to dodge the lazers, they don't go as high, so they eat a bair att high %

Last edited:
Top Bottom