• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Failed Wavedashes and Wavelands

SynTheTik

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to utilize wavedashes and wavelands more often in my gameplay, but sometimes I press too early causing a air dodge off a platform and some lag on my way down. In some rare cases, I accidentally air dodge off the ledge and fall to my doom.

Other than get better at wavedashing, any tips in case I fail a wavedash/waveland?

pockyD

Smash Legend
not much you can do; once you're in your airdodge animation with your direction already set (likely down and forward/backward for your wd) you don't have very much control

if you went off the edge, DI up; i think (this could just be psychological though) it helps a little for you grabbing the edge; regardless, definitely don't hold down, as you'll drop by the edge even if you would have normally grabbed it

Kroy

Smash Apprentice
Where you'd least suspect. That's right you know.
For flubbed WD's or WL's on the stage DI down and away is all you can do to minimize the time you spend vulnerable. If you do it offstage typically you are screwed, but DI'ing towards the ledge can save you sometimes. Overall, just practicing, like you said, is the best solution to solving your problem with flubbed WD's

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
for me ganon's wavedash is not a problem, but waveland (on platforms) are kind of trippy. i jump and land on the platform, as soon as i see ganon switching from jumping animation to standing animation, i press r/l then i get a very sucessful waveland. in other words it is slower than you think. just practice for the timing.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I double jump on DL64 to do a platform-dash if I've been flubbing up there. Risky at high percents though (get knocked off without a second jump), but if you need that extra height it might help.

Otherwise, just follow others advice (especially not holding down near a ledge, I've SD'd from that while trying to recover and avoid an attack at the same time), and just try to get better at wavedashing (which will solve all wd-related problems).

Top Bottom