• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

F-Tilt Guard Desync Ideas and Other Stuff

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
So while pondering the fact Nana does a shorter-than-shorthop jump when you CG I remembered you can get Nana to shorthop straight from an F-tilt guard desync (Tilt analog a bit and press A, Nana jabs and Popo f-tilts) and found some interesting stuff, sorry if some are old but I assume at least some are new and I havn't seen them used.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbvJKn2vmS8

If you iceblock Nana will land-cancel some of the lag which leads to:

(All shown in video)

1. A quick way to shoot 3 iceblocks on flat ground, can be used for retreating, camping and maybe approaching.
2. A fast way to spam desynced iceblocks on platforms when combined with Popo's platform drop iceblock cancel.
3. If you dash jump the shorthop you get a better way to do iceblock chase compared to spotdodge/roll because Nana will catch up with you much faster

And some unrelated stuff to that:

4. You can input a Nanapult straight from the f-tilt guard (You can't do that from spotdodge and roll) - The timing is a little weird on this one
5. Wobbles posted a desync he called defender in his video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV3QNpesRYo on 1:52), this can be used in a variety of ways, check the video. (I show smash+roll, smash+jump canceled grab, fsmash to turnaround bair and fsmash to dashing sh fair)
6. F-tilt guard to Nana wavesmash gives you some "safe" range and approach at close distance.
7. A dash attack that cancels a missile from samus can be used to desync, this is very useful in this matchup.

Discuss?

EDIT: Found something else unrelated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ45hDwb2yw

You get this when you do dash back+jump+blizzard almost at the same time (Doesn't have to be shorthop)
It also works with aerials but with a smaller distance.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
what the! can you teach me how to perform the fsmash after wd desynch? i kept trying it from neutral standing, maybe thats why it wasnt working for me. so is it wd, then dash backwards + fsmash forward at the same time?

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
You can do it from standing position too (Wavedashing simply gets you to standing position from a dash)

Just dash back and C-Stick forward (In the original direction) almost at the same time, the dash needs to be a tiny bit earlier.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
what the! can you teach me how to perform the fsmash after wd desynch? i kept trying it from neutral standing, maybe thats why it wasnt working for me. so is it wd, then dash backwards + fsmash forward at the same time?
that's the danf we keep talking about :p

i really didn't know you could do so much after an f-tilt desynch, that seems really useful

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Some (Untested) ideas I had for using these techniques include:

1. Platform iceblock spam against Samus, maybe against marth too.
2. Using a dash jump SH iceblock from f-tilt guard against falco so Nana shoots a block and eats the laser.
3. C-stick desync fsmash into roll to get past marth's wall of fairs (I'm not sure if any of the IC rolls are long enough in terms of distance covered, if this works it can really help in this matchup)

Also, if it wasn't already known, you can get a Popo iceblock from f-tilt guard (Or a non-jump Nana iceblock, not sure why you'll ever do that.)

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
3. C-stick desync fsmash into roll to get past marth's wall of fairs (I'm not sure if any of the IC rolls are long enough in terms of distance covered, if this works it can really help in this matchup)
I was pondering the exact same thing one time but my fingers were messing up that day so I couldn't get it off as fast as I wanted to.

I like VV's ideas.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Added something else to first post, I'm not exactly sure what causes it, it appears that Popo does a Pivot but I thought you can't do without changing a direction in dash...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Lol, had not realised that does extend the range from Nana, looks useful!

Ecperimented a bit with the ftiltdesynch and got a few goals when it comes to desynching, learning that and also desynching from the "anti samus double dsmash", where they dsmash in different directions.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
lol, I just realized that the desync wobbles called "Defender" in his video isn't the one I used here.. So is mine new? Wobbles does dash back followed by dash forward straight away, stop and wait for Nana to get closer and smash with her while Popo slides a bit, this isn't as good as the one I mentioned because it has "setup" delay.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
How come tt was discovered more than a year ago and still no1 uses it? I think its very useful....

Nintendude

Smash Hero
A great retreat I've been experimenting with is simply wavedash away while facing away, f-tilt guard, then Nana blizzard. My friends occasionally take the whiffed f-tilt as bait and eat a blizzard in the face, and if they do nothing, you have a great defensive set-up that gives you a second to think as the position resets back to neutral.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
So I had a chance to test the c-stick desync in matches and had amazingly positive results with it, its insanely effective as a way to approach non-projectile spammy characters (falco..) and even against samus to close a small gap between you.

Learn it, Try it, you wont be disappointed!

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
How in the hell are you doing the standing ftilt guard desync? :\

I've tried tilting my control stick as little as possible and everything but nana f-tilts with me every time.

Nvm got it to work but I still can't get any of the desyncs going, how fast do you have to be to do ftilt > nanapult?

And whenever I try to ftilt > triple ice block I end up starting off with synced shots

Last edited:

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The ftilt desynch -> Nanapult is a really tight window, assuming we're talking about having Nana run -> jump -> blizzard and not just a stationary jump -> blizzard, which is easy. It is something that I think has merits, e.g. for hitting Peach out of a high float from a certain distance, but the penalty for screwing up can be quite severe.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Well it's incredible. Just hard to do consistently.
I'm really bad at the standing ftilt desyncs, but I use wd back->ftilt->nanapult.

you can also just do a nanapult out of like spotdodge or roll desyncs, but the timing is really tight.

Top Bottom