• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extreme what if...

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Ok, hopefully nobody will hate me for this, but you never know what kind of responses topics like this will get so I thought I'd throw it out there. Before doing so, I realize that it will never happen in a million years and in some ways may not be good for individual participating parties, but bear with me.

Would you like it if Nintendo collaborated with Sony and Microsoft and made a cross-platform (online playable cross-platform as well) Smash title that included 80 or so characters that represented the most popular franchises from all 3 systems?

Yes, it will never happen, yes several reasons why it isn't possible, but for the sake of discussion, what if that happened, would you like the idea?

Imagine the possibilities. There could be whole leagues from this game, with representatives for each console or each franchise, it would be incredible imo.

What do you think?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
ewww...

I'll tell you why it will never happen, and it's not because of the rivalrys. XBox doesn't have character franchises. Sure, you could say Master Chief, but that'd be like saying Koopa Troopa. He's a generic character, not to mention so BORING...

Sony does have some characters, but not many...The only reason they did was because (you do realize Sony and Nintendo used to work together, right?) Sony saw Nintendo's great success simply from fans enjoying the characters. Sony realized that gamers would buy games simply for the characters in it. However, Sony really doesn't make any of these games themselves. It's all 3rd parties.

Microsoft and Sony (for the most part) don't make character-centered games/franchises. The reason why Smash works is because Nintendo does a fantastic job of coming up with original games and interesting characters. They can include 3rd parties in the Smash franchise because they have a similar vision as Nintendo. Sega used to be like that before they became solely third party.

So, basically...the reason your proposal would never work is the same reason as why Smash is as successful as it is: Nintendo's characters (and Sony's and Microsoft's lack thereof)

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
i wouldn't like. It be Max payne versus snake versus samus versus rayman.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
If somebody tried that we'd have from the microsoft side master chief, and nobody else. Sony could pull out gex, kratos, or anybody from the wildarms games, but how memorable are gex and the wild arms games?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
If somebody tried that we'd have from the microsoft side master chief, and nobody else. Sony could pull out gex, kratos, or anybody from the wildarms games, but how memorable are gex and the wild arms games?
Gex is Crystal Dynamics. Sony really doesn't "own" any characters...they just collaborate a lot with third parties. That has always been their way. (On that note, I loved Gex...and he was on several Nintendo systems.)

I suppose Microsoft could have characters from Rare, but even those are only 2nd party (now), and most of the Rare characters have only showed up on Nintendo systems and never on Microsoft systems...

On the general topic, you'd be more likely to have some big Super Smash-esque game, which would include all of the memorable third party characters from over the years (Crash, Spyro, Rachet/Clank, Jak/Daxter, Sly, Gex, Sega characters, Capcom charcters, Final Fantasy characters, etc.,etc.). And then maybe do a Smash (Nintendo) vs. 3rd party charcters game or something...

That, I wouldn't really mind so much...There are a lot of good 3rd party characters out there, but THAT would never happen.

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
No, I wouldn't like it at all. It would ruin what Smash is all about; dueling with your favorite Nintendo characters.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Actually, If it didn't affec Brawl AT ALL, That'd be pretty darn sick.

Think about it, if you included a bunch of thirs parties as well and just made a fighting game with tons on video game characters

Mario, Sonic, Pac Man, Mega Man, Rachet, Clank, Jak, Daxter, Master Chief, Link, Cloud, etc. etc. etc.

It would shatter sales charts so far into the universe that it would disrupt the collective gravity of the entire tangible cosmos and send our dimension into spiraling implosions of DOOM!

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, I just couldn't picture myself using Mario, and fighting against a Pac Man, or Rachet. I think it would ruin it, IMO.

RDK

Smash Hero
It would shatter sales charts so far into the universe that it would disrupt the collective gravity of the entire tangible cosmos and send our dimension into spiraling implosions of DOOM!
LOL, gold.

What would be cool is if you did a crossover battle between Nintendo characters and Street Fighter (they have a HUGE fanbase), or some other type of fighting franchise. The only probelm would be melding the games' fighting styles together.

Although that will never happen either...just a speculation.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Ok, hopefully nobody will hate me for this, but you never know what kind of responses topics like this will get so I thought I'd throw it out there. Before doing so, I realize that it will never happen in a million years and in some ways may not be good for individual participating parties, but bear with me.

Would you like it if Nintendo collaborated with Sony and Microsoft and made a cross-platform (online playable cross-platform as well) Smash title that included 80 or so characters that represented the most popular franchises from all 3 systems?

Yes, it will never happen, yes several reasons why it isn't possible, but for the sake of discussion, what if that happened, would you like the idea?

Imagine the possibilities. There could be whole leagues from this game, with representatives for each console or each franchise, it would be incredible imo.

What do you think?
Ok, I hate you aaaaand this will never happen in a million years.

Microsoft doesn't have any mascots besides Master Chief. The guy from Fable? A car from PGR3? Oh yea Conkers is with MS.

Sony hmm? Dante (That would be AWEEEEEEEEESOME )? Then you need to include his brother and the girl whose name i forgot.

RAchet and Clank? Crash bandicoot?

I can't thnk of more.

edit: And you know if this actually goes through, what system would this game release for? the division of royalties? and all that marketing stuff.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I HATE YOU!! *just kidding* anyway of course it's impossible because alot of third paries would get involved and would be some serious money for charcter rights and all that, but I like this idea although it will never happen, I can still dream about it seeing Cloud fighting against Link

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Umm...guys? I'm pretty sure I covered this pretty well, and I already said the same things you guys are saying, except that I explained it more.

Bottom line why it wouldn't work: Microsoft and Sony don't have any characters; they all belong to third parties. And Master chief is just a clone of a clone and blah blah blah...he hardly even counts. It'd be worse than putting a Paratroopa in...

McCloud_Master

Smash Apprentice
Actually, If it didn't affec Brawl AT ALL, That'd be pretty darn sick.

Think about it, if you included a bunch of thirs parties as well and just made a fighting game with tons on video game characters

Mario, Sonic, Pac Man, Mega Man, Rachet, Clank, Jak, Daxter, Master Chief, Link, Cloud, etc. etc. etc.

I like the idea, but the only thing that would fail is that the three companies would never get along, it would take them forever to decide on stuff.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
Grim Lizard has summed it up. But you have to imagine the possibilities.

1) Could this game destroy the sales charts?
2) Mario vs Sonic, Cloud vs Link, Samus vs Master Chief.. MIYAMOTO vs HIRAI? The possibilities are unless.
3) Super Smash Bros: Revolution Now THAT would be the perfect time for such a title(or whatever name you can think of....)

But then it raises questions such as which console would it release on. Most likely multi-platform....and development hell, and licensing and online, graphics.....etc. But good idea nonetheless.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
But then it raises questions such as which console would it release on. Most likely multi-platform....and development hell, and licensing and online, graphics.....etc. But good idea nonetheless.
obviously it would be a multi-platformer game, if you think about it, why would Sony and Nintendo put there characters in if it just appeared on the XBox = plain dumb

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
It would be awesome as long as it didn't affect the normal Smash games.

characters from each company:

Nintendo:
Mario
Link
Samus
DK
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox

Sony:
Kratos
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Croc
Gex

Microsoft:
Master Chief
Banjo-Kazooie
Conker
???

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Ok, hopefully nobody will hate me for this
I hate you for that.

But anyway, as long as Nintendo was developing it, I wouldn't have a problem with it. A character is a character. Melee's fun because of the gameplay, not the characters. (Seriously, what Marth player even knew who he was before Melee?)

~Dac

beta_prime

Smash Journeyman
I would love that! Playing with Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Banjo Kazooie, Sonic would be great! And how would that ruin smash? It would bring companies closer. And what could be bad with that?

Eaode

Smash Champion
Ideal Character list:

Nintendo:
Mario
Luigi
Kirby
Samus
Link
Fox
Pikachu
DK
Yoshi
Captain Falcon

Sony:
Rachet / Clank
Jak / Daxter
Sly Cooper
Croc
Crash Bandicoot

MS:
Master Chief
Kameo
??

Misc.
Laura Croft
Cloud Strife
Conker
Banjo / Kazooie
Spyro
Bomberman
Pac Man
Mega Man
Sonic

RDK

Smash Hero
Willy Gates
SATAN! KILL HIM NOW! OMIGOSH!

...erm, anyway, back to the point...

Some of those people I would enjoy being in the game (I.E. Bomberman, Sonic, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash, Sly, Ratchet + Clank, Jak + Daxter, Conker, Cloud Strife, etc.). Although, it wouldn't be called Super Smash Bros.--they would have to think of some cool name for it, because it would be a very large cross-console game...

But honestly--Master Chief? Dante? LAURA CROFT?! Jesus Christ, might as well throw George Bush in. His special attack can be "Screw Up Our Country".

P.S: About the Bush comment, if this says anything, I'm not a liberal or anything--I just hate Bush that much.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Seems like the idea is getting mixed responses. I wasn't talking about just 1st party characters, just all the most popular game franchises. If the big 3 could just humble up and collaborate on a multi-platform game (as long as Nintendo does the primary development of the game, of course) just imagine if it happened. It would need a different name, but the same fighting engine, just cross-platform with no limit on what characters could be in. They'd all make money on this game and it would possibly be the best selling game in history, with a crazy number of tournaments everywhere.

But, yes, we all know it will never happen. Dreaming is good, though, I suppose.

Top Bottom