• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think if you could turn a whiffed grab into an extender unlock, you at least netted some benefit out of it. I'm just worried if doing it as an option select, like wall teching UpBs, would mess with grab punishes if you do happen to land the grab.

Kuikdraw

Smash Rookie
Can I have some tips on ledge canceling up b? I'm sure you guys have talked about it somewhere on here but I don't know how to find it.

Also I was wondering what the most efficient way to practice Samus tech is. Right now I just follow a little guide I wrote on my phone that lists a bunch of 1-5 minute exercises to practice specific things and then I spend longer on things like tech chasing and follow ups. I also use other characters to practice specific things because it's easier with them. Then I apply it to samus. For instance I use falcon and fox to practice dash dancing since their dash is like twice the length as samus'. I'm also going to start using sheik to get a feel for reaction tech chasing.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I'm also going to start using sheik to get a feel for reaction tech chasing.
I'm a huge fan of playing other characters to get outside ideas for Samus, but I feel like if you want to get good at reaction tech chasing, just do it with Samus. She can't optimally cover all tech options like sheik, but it just makes more sense to learn your character's tech chase by playing the character.

As for tech, just read the boards. I waded through years of Litt Litt flame fests, but it was well worth it as I have a handle on pretty much all of it. Most of the known Samus tech is on here so just start reading and working it into your regiment. Practicing on 20XX CPUs is a good way to get a feel of their teching options, but I wouldn't recommend spending more than 30 minutes a session on it. CPUs become very predictable and you begin to form bad habits that bite you in the ass when you play against a thinking opponent.

Litt

Samus
I'm a huge fan of playing other characters to get outside ideas for Samus, but I feel like if you want to get good at reaction tech chasing, just do it with Samus. She can't optimally cover all tech options like sheik, but it just makes more sense to learn your character's tech chase by playing the character.

As for tech, just read the boards. I waded through years of Litt Litt flame fests, but it was well worth it as I have a handle on pretty much all of it. Most of the known Samus tech is on here so just start reading and working it into your regiment. Practicing on 20XX CPUs is a good way to get a feel of their teching options, but I wouldn't recommend spending more than 30 minutes a session on it. CPUs become very predictable and you begin to form bad habits that bite you in the *** when you play against a thinking opponent.
tfw mervis creates a mature post to guide new users and a new generation of sami are born

Kuikdraw

Smash Rookie
Did you guys know you can run/ walk off a platform and have enough time to shoot a missile backwards above the platform? The timing is pretty quick but it's easy to do from a walk. I think that if I'm on a platform and I read an approach i can run off and missile to get them away or to start my offense. also since the missile is cruising so low to the platform I think it's really likely to shield stab if they do react.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Yeah, that's well-known, but it's not actually that useful. If you're on a platform and your (fast and decent) opponent is trying to punish you, there's a good chance he's aiming to get under you, not jump onto the platform behind you where he could be bair'd. Also, pretty much any hitbox takes out the missile. If you really wanna punish someone chasing you onto the platform, then get to the ground where you have the positional advantage. You could maybe also DJ bair to cover yourself and potentially land a sweetspot.

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
So I am in the process of switching to Samus as my main hopefully and was wondering if there are good Samus players to watch to learn the character. I know the obvious old Plup, Hugs, and Duck but not much more. And are there certain players that are the best at certain matchups (like you watch SilentWolf to learn Fox vs Shiek etc)?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
So I am in the process of switching to Samus as my main hopefully and was wondering if there are good Samus players to watch to learn the character. I know the obvious old Plup, Hugs, and Duck but not much more. And are there certain players that are the best at certain matchups (like you watch SilentWolf to learn Fox vs Shiek etc)?
I personally watch almost every Samus I can. Hotshots to no no names, I watch all of you nerds. If you don't want to do that, ycz and MintyFlesh are my personal favorites. ESAM is also good if you want to learn how a campier style works. There's also a video thread that is stickied which has loooads of vods. In terms of matchups, I can only really think of Duck who's been considered renowned in the Sheik MU. Samus is very unique to each player, so I think it makes sense to study all of them and see how their certain playstyle works.

Don't watch me though. I'm an idiot.

Kuikdraw

Smash Rookie
you should watch phanna, his tech skill is insane and he has an answer for everything.

Watching pro samus players is good but I also like to watch low level samus' because the games go slower and I can easily tell when the match is at a neutral state and when someone takes the advantage and why. Wes is also a good samus to learn from. The melee meta game was very young when he was around so all you see is raw fundamentals. Then I would take what you saw from Wes and look for it in plup. His fundamentals are not just good for a samus main (sheik now but w/e) they have gotten him to the top 7 in the ssbm ranks for 2015.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
you should watch phanna, his tech skill is insane and he has an answer for everything.
Phanna is definitely really fun to watch, but I wouldn't recommend learning from. Learning from Phanna is like learning how to multishine with Fox before you know how to short hop. Phanna has some good tech skill guides and training exercise videos, but I wouldn't really study too deeply into his sets if you are just starting to learn Samus.

Kuikdraw

Smash Rookie
Phanna is definitely really fun to watch, but I wouldn't recommend learning from. Learning from Phanna is like learning how to multishine with Fox before you know how to short hop. Phanna has some good tech skill guides and training exercise videos, but I wouldn't really study too deeply into his sets if you are just starting to learn Samus.
I agree with you, watching phanna and trying to play as flashy as him without understanding why it works would be stupid. I more so meant they should watch phanna to see how he uses his tech to react to whatever comes at him. His ledge game for example. phanna's game play is just inspiring to me I guess.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you, watching phanna and trying to play as flashy as him without understanding why it works would be stupid. I more so meant they should watch phanna to see how he uses his tech to react to whatever comes at him. His ledge game for example. phanna's game play is just inspiring to me I guess.
Phanna for sure is inspirational as a Samus main. But I feel like he's the candy of Samus, and growing Sami need to eat their veggies! (Plup Duck Hugs.) Actually Plup is like a superfood. Has some stylish looking stuff, but still maintains good fundamentals.

BallsKick

Smash Rookie
Why don't people use dangled fsmash to edgeguard peach and marth? the hitbox is better than uptilt and it covers even perfect sweetspot if they're riding a wall or super close to it. you just gotta be crouching facing the other way and the upB will never hit you but if you dangled fmsmash the opposite direction in that position itll always hit them. are most samuses just dumb/unoptimal?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Why don't people use dangled fsmash to edgeguard peach and marth? the hitbox is better than uptilt and it covers even perfect sweetspot if they're riding a wall or super close to it. you just gotta be crouching facing the other way and the upB will never hit you but if you dangled fmsmash the opposite direction in that position itll always hit them. are most samuses just dumb/unoptimal?
If everything you claim is true, then most Sami don't do this because they are unaware, or they aren't that great at angling their fsmashes. It's also harder to time an fsmash edgeguard. Uptilt's hitbox is huge and can also hit a sweetspotting marth or peach and still outspace it according to ESAM.

Smash Journeyman
oh, I never thought about facing away to dodge the upb

i'll try it :O

seems like uptilt still might have better horizontal range for horizontal sweetspots though? plus it covers slightly earlier (higher upb) timings a bit better

BallsKick

Smash Rookie
If everything you claim is true, then most Sami don't do this because they are unaware, or they aren't that great at angling their fsmashes. It's also harder to time an fsmash edgeguard. Uptilt's hitbox is huge and can also hit a sweetspotting marth or peach and still outspace it according to ESAM.
oh, I never thought about facing away to dodge the upb

i'll try it :O

seems like uptilt still might have better horizontal range for horizontal sweetspots though? plus it covers slightly earlier (higher upb) timings a bit better
wrong and wrong

the relevant hitbox of uptilt comes out way later than the relevant hitbox of dangled fsmash (the one where it's actually poking under the stage) i think fsmash comes out frame 10 or something and the last hitbox of uptilt is around 17 i think

the hitbox of dangled fsmash is slightly bigger and more disjointed than uptilt, if you get the biggest hitbox of fsmash then it outright beats, doesn't trade, marth's upb

dangled fsmash hitbox lasts 4 frames whereas the relevant hitbox of uptilt lasts 1 frame

and just put some custom notches in your c stick gate or something so you get the down angled every time, or just practice, it's not that hard to get consistently

the only advantage to uptilt is edgeguarding spacies where you cover high and low options with uptilt, but if you'r just covering sweetspot then you should always just face away, squatting at the perfect spacing and reverse dangled fsmash and i guarantee it works better than uptilt. plus it's a quick wavedash back ramen noodles if you read they try to upb far away so they don't get hit with the fsmash

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
After doing some crude and quick testing, I found that uptilt still has a thicker and lower hitbox. Not by much. The only benefit I see to this is the crouch and face away which is actually pretty smart. Feel free to throw out your own findings. Like I said, it was a quick test.

When I get real games going I'll try to use this over uptilt at the ledge and see how it goes.

BallsKick

Smash Rookie
One thing that adds to the difficulty of this is that there are two different angles for dangled fsmash.
yeah but one is practically impossible to hit and the other one is fairly easy, so it's still just as viable, you just need to practice or use a custom notch

Army805

Smash Cadet
Hows the peach matchup? From watching Duck it seems good, but isn't the general consensus Peach is a bit favored? I'm trying to find a secondary specifically for peach (i'm an IC main), and Samus seems to play a little like IC's in that she's more about staying grounded (outside of platform MC, etc) and she wavedashes as a primary movement option.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Peach slightly wins the MU against Samus. If you're looking for a secondary specifically for Peach, then there are much better chars to consider (Fox, Marth, Sheik, Falcon, Jiggs, even Peach or Falco, lolz). Top Sami tend to make it look even or better for Samus, but that's because IMO top Sami are simply better players than top Peaches. Since you want someone who's very ground-based and has a decent WD, like the ICs, I'd suggest Marth. I would suggest Samus as a secondary if you had trouble with spacees or even other ICs, lolz, since some people don't know that MU very well.

Smash Journeyman
Hows the peach matchup? From watching Duck it seems good, but isn't the general consensus Peach is a bit favored? I'm trying to find a secondary specifically for peach (i'm an IC main), and Samus seems to play a little like IC's in that she's more about staying grounded (outside of platform MC, etc) and she wavedashes as a primary movement option.
ask jago :^)

lol makes me want to get into some more creative combos man!

that two clips on fox at the beginning were AWSUM

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Can you do it in tournament against players that don't recover in bad ways, Goomy? :p
the answer to that question we all already know... also the last clip he goes for that edgeguard full committing at 0% a stock down and kills himself :/ I think goomey would be a better falcon main going for crazy **** and killing himself than a calm calculating samus main.

Last edited:

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
the answer to that question we all already know... also the last clip he goes for that edgeguard full committing at 0% a stock down and kills himself :/ I think goomey would be a better falcon main going for crazy **** and killing himself than a calm calculating samus main.
I actually started as a Falcon main but every game ended up being like 30 seconds because I'd go for 4 offstage falcon punches right off the bat and SD 4 times. At least with Samus when I swaggy SD it takes a little longer.

Litt

Samus
I actually started as a Falcon main but every game ended up being like 30 seconds because I'd go for 4 offstage falcon punches right off the bat and SD 4 times. At least with Samus when I swaggy SD it takes a little longer.
smh

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Yes promote mediocrity Mervis, that is the idea of competitive play... :/
Sort of! At the end of the day you are a video game. The end goal is to indeed win, but there are certain win conditions people strive to meet. Goomy once said his goal is to swag on people as hard as possible. That's what he strives to do and honestly he does it well. Success isn't just found in winning you big ol' buppy.

Litt

Samus
Sort of! At the end of the day you are a video game. The end goal is to indeed win, but there are certain win conditions people strive to meet. Goomy once said his goal is to swag on people as hard as possible. That's what he strives to do and honestly he does it well. Success isn't just found in winning you big ol' buppy.
"At the end of the day you are a video game." .... Wut? I know you are strange... but this is a new level of idiocy even for you... just proof read or think of what you want to say throughly before rambling off trying to make a point. And I say trying to because you are quite unsuccessful when you come off looking inept.

"The end goal is to indeed win, but there are certain win conditions people strive to meet."... The goal of playing the game is to take 4 stock and/or live 8 minutes with more stock than your opponent... those are your first and primary goals and if you do not seek to achieve them... you are not playing the game, you are just ****ing around.

Swagging on people is a secondary goal... which people only respect... if you are ahead in stocks or it at least makes you even in stocks through something unexpected.

When you are up in stocks you can be less focused on the defensive and more focused on varied offensive tactics to catch your opponent off guard... should you "get styled on" no harm because you are still winning and if they fail they are just putting themselves further down the drain. Success may not just be found in winning, but styling is only respected when you are winning or at the very least tied.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Swagging on people is a secondary goal... which people only respect... if you are ahead in stocks or it at least makes you even in stocks through something unexpected.
I stopped reading after this. You understand that people have different views than you right? Stop superimposing your views onto everyone. Put away those claws you big dumb bear.

Top Bottom