• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Expressive character portraits ?

Right now they're just the portrait from the select screen. What if it showed what the character is doing or thinking? When the character is hit the portrait looks shocked, or it looks happy when they grab an item. It doesn't have to be a lot, just 4 or 5 different expressions that express important events

Here's an example:

(And no I'm not suggesting that Captain Vul should be playable, he's character just had the most expressions in KSSU):p

Yeah, the characters are pretty expressive on their own now, but I think it would be a nice touch. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Nothing wrong could come with this! This would be an excellent touch. I would probably want like 50 expressive character portraits per character.

Hong

The Strongest
I can't really envision this being applied onto every character.
Sakurai was able to do it for Meta Knight in Kirby Super Star, so I would imagine it could work for everyone. Even for R.O.B. and Samus I could think of faces for the above categories.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I didn't think i wanted this until this thread

NOW I REALLY WANT THIS

Sakurai was able to do it for Meta Knight in Kirby Super Star, so I would imagine it could work for everyone. Even for R.O.B. and Samus I could think of faces for the above categories.

ROB:
Hurt: Green eyes
Charging attack: Glowing eyes
Grab item: Look up triumphantly
KO'd: Broken eyes
Out of stock: Titled head (turned off)

Samus:
Hurt: Looking down (like she's been hit in the stomach)
Charging attack: Glowing visor
Grab item: Have analyse indicators on the screen
KO'd: Sparks coming off her helmet
Out of Stock: Looking down with a cracked visor

Or just have Samus' eyes visible through her visor.

I might just do all of these.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Game and Watch.

Whoever got assigned to do his art should just get paid to breath xD

No, I think it could work. If you've ever delved into Smash Machinima you'll find there can be expressive poses and faces for each character. Even Game and Watch.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Seems like a cool idea. Not sure if they would ever go through with it though. I guess for Game and Watch he could just pose. Or open and close his mouth.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Don't you think that it would be very weird to see Rosalina with a mad expression though? She's not really someone who you'd consider to be aggressive.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Yeah that makes sense, since he does that in the games.

but I love this idea. I only think it should be a couple though. Like, neutral, hit by a strong attack, and then out of stock.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ooooh, I like it. I could imagine a few character being a bit hard to do though.

Along with this I would like to see something similar to Smash 64 on the character select screen for when you select a character they do a little animation.

Don't you think that it would be very weird to see Rosalina with a mad expression though? She's not really someone who you'd consider to be aggressive.
Everyone has the limits to anger, even Rosalina.

With that said I don't think charging a attack has to necessarily be angry, something like intense concentration would be better imo.

Yeah some characters could have different indications for charging attacks. Rosalina could look intense and have sparkles around her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If anyone needs to show a mad expression, it has to be Kirby...

Rosalina is way too humble to show much, if any anger.

So what do you think should cause the profile to change? I only picked those four because those were the expressions Captain Vul had. Here's the ones I have:

Hit
Charging attack
Item grab
KO'd
Out of Stock
Asleep
Stunned
Taunting

Hong

The Strongest
Just need to be creative.

For example, if Meta Knight is defeated, his portrait could feature him further away and looking away in shame.

In Rosalina's case, instead of being angry her eye could have a sparkle, or something as simple as having messy hair on such a stoic character could be enough to imply the idea. Certainly don't need to break character.

It'd be great if is Meta-Knight's out of stock portrait was his mask off and him covering his face with his hands like he does when you beat him in Samurai Kirby. That might be to silly for Meta-Knight though.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So what do you think should cause the profile to change? I only picked those four because those were the expressions Captain Vul had. Here's the ones I have:

Hit
Charging attack
Item grab
KO'd
Out of Stock
Asleep
Stunned
Taunting
There should also be an "above 100%" image that replaces the default when you get that much damage. It'll show the character being fatigued (or cracks in armor/mask) and it'll be a handy indicator for slow or fast getup animations from the ledge.

edit: well, Sakurai shot that down. Still thing fatigued would be a nice touch, though.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Right now they're just the portrait from the select screen. What if it showed what the character is doing or thinking? When the character is hit the portrait looks shocked, or it looks happy when they grab an item. It doesn't have to be a lot, just 4 or 5 different expressions that express important events

Here's an example:

(And no I'm not suggesting that Captain Vul should be playable, he's character just had the most expressions in KSSU):p

Yeah, the characters are pretty expressive on their own now, but I think it would be a nice touch. What do you guys think?
Yes.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I'd love to see this! Little details like this make would make the game all that much better.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Definitely a neat idea, but from a gameplay perspective it makes little sense. It would only serve to be a distraction, drawing players' eyes away from the actual gameplay and onto the portraits as they changed.

Hong

The Strongest
Definitely a neat idea, but from a gameplay perspective it makes little sense. It would only serve to be a distraction, drawing players' eyes away from the actual gameplay and onto the portraits as they changed.
For what it's worth, for the Tales games, this has never been an issue.

I imagine this being something people notice after several matches, or whilst watching replays.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
PEOPLE PEOPLE don't forget that this was also done in Army Men: Sarge's Heroes. gosh, seems nobody ever wants to bring that up :p

Top Bottom