• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Expanding the Smash community with reddit

Nintendude

Smash Hero

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I just PM'd him about it. I'm not sure if he updates the lists manually or if he has some way of automatically looking up how many subscribers each subreddit has.

spanyam

Smash Rookie
Good work, we're up to 300 subscribers now. Genesis 2 should bring in a bigger crowd.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
To whoever makes a Genesis 2 stream thread on r/gaming: Wait until it's really active before posting it. Otherwise nobody will care and it'll sink before it actually gets hype.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
things we could probably link to:
chillin's story
ChuDat's chronicles on AiB
onski's documentary when it comes out
Gimpyfish's Metagame video
Perfect Control
Milun's stage hacks since they are very visually stunning

Winnar

Smash Lord
I blame you guys for introducing me to reddit. I haven't been on smashboards in months and months :(

1845 subscribers to r/smashbros though, so that's cool

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm pleasantly surprised by how many subscribers we've gotten in just a few months. reddit is indeed managing to expand the Smash community, and we're averaging about 15 new subscribers per day.

I think that TOs really need to start promoting their tournaments there. It takes like 5 seconds and it instantly gets the word out to almost 2000 people.

Kal

Smash Champion
Wish I had known about this when this thread was first made. I'd have promoted my tournaments on reddit for sure.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
I stumbled upon r/smashbros about a year ago, and I've definitely noticed a large increase in quality content (and submissions in general). Definitely one of my most frequented subreddits, which is silly due to its activity rate.

But yeah good job so far.

EDIT:
By the way, people are going to be super interested in the next Smash Bros game (remember before Brawl? So much Brawl hype and people trying to get into the scene), and it will be really good to get people on the subreddit when that happens for the next rendition. Probably won't occur until more information is released about the game, and when it's closer to release, but it will definitely help.

Although this won't help for specifically Melee fans, but who knows. Maybe the new game will be a worthy succession to Melee, or people will express interest in Melee after checking out the new game.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
I stumbled upon r/smashbros about a year ago, and I've definitely noticed a large increase in quality content (and submissions in general). Definitely one of my most frequented subreddits, which is silly due to its activity rate.

But yeah good job so far.

EDIT:
By the way, people are going to be super interested in the next Smash Bros game (remember before Brawl? So much Brawl hype and people trying to get into the scene), and it will be really good to get people on the subreddit when that happens for the next rendition. Probably won't occur until more information is released about the game, and when it's closer to release, but it will definitely help.

Although this won't help for specifically Melee fans, but who knows. Maybe the new game will be a worthy succession to Melee, or people will express interest in Melee after checking out the new game.
You know that feeling you get when you know you're gonna throw up but you still have hope that maybe if you just ignore it everything will be okay? Yeah, I keep getting that when the new Smash Bros is mentioned.

Anyway, I might join reddit just to promote some Philly/Trenton area tournaments/smashfests

Kal

Smash Champion
You know that feeling you get when you know you're gonna throw up but you still have hope that maybe if you just ignore it everything will be okay?
This is what happens when I have too much to drink. "If I go to bed, I'll probably wake up and everything will be fine."

Yeah, I keep getting that when the new Smash Bros is mentioned.
Even if the new game has nothing in common with Melee, I expect nothing bad can come of it for us. Whatever we've lost due to new entries in the series has already been lost to Brawl. Additional entries won't hurt us, I think. It may, however, provide us with some new players who think the new title isn't what they were hoping for, but enjoyed the concept. Street Fighter 4 did this for me, as it introduced me to Third Strike.

Obviously, this is just speculation, and it's kind of off-topic. I do hope that reddit can be used to make Melee more popular. We just need to remember that Smash is a very unique genre of fighting game so, unlike a game like Third Strike where players can just move on to a new title and maintain a similar experience, there isn't a lot of places to go for a Smash-esque experience. They're stuck with us, for better or worse.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Though I agree that we should use any opportunity we can find to expand our community, I don't much like the idea of redditors meme-spouting every which way at tournaments. Hearing dudes shout rage comic references is borderline cringe-worthy, and hearing it done in groups goes far beyond that border. I can practically hear the helvetica. I hope there won't ever come a day when I will be able to recognize someone as a redditor just by playing a match with them, but this is probably the best option we have. **** it.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
Though I agree that we should use any opportunity we can find to expand our community, I don't much like the idea of redditors meme-spouting every which way at tournaments. Hearing dudes shout rage comic references is borderline cringe-worthy, and hearing it done in groups goes far beyond that border. I can practically hear the helvetica. I hope there won't ever come a day when I will be able to recognize someone as a redditor just by playing a match with them, but this is probably the best option we have. **** it.
Wow, you're generalizing way too much. Reddit is getting a bad name because of the larger subreddits. I've been a redditor for over two years now, and I don't even subscribe to most large subreddits anymore, since they're just meme-dumps and circle-jerks. There are tons of redditors out there who despise reddit's new aura. Hell, just because reddit seems like a haven for ****ty rage comics, that doesn't mean that they reflect the values of most redditors. Most redditors I know have unsubscribed from r/f7u12 because of declining quality.
What I'm getting at here is that there are tons of intelligent redditors out there, and you likely don't see them because you don't frequent the same subreddits that they do.

Moooose

Smash Champion
we had around 5 newcomers who said they were coming from reddit come to our last tourney, which was nice. good thread

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you're generalizing way too much. Reddit is getting a bad name because of the larger subreddits. I've been a redditor for over two years now, and I don't even subscribe to most large subreddits anymore, since they're just meme-dumps and circle-jerks. There are tons of redditors out there who despise reddit's new aura. Hell, just because reddit seems like a haven for ****ty rage comics, that doesn't mean that they reflect the values of most redditors. Most redditors I know have unsubscribed from r/f7u12 because of declining quality.
What I'm getting at here is that there are tons of intelligent redditors out there, and you likely don't see them because you don't frequent the same subreddits that they do.
I generalized, yeah. I don't believe that all redditors fit that stereotype, but the stereotype exists because the fraction of redditors that act like that (quite a noticeable fraction) is louder than the rest. It's like how 4chan has a bad reputation because /b/ is such a pile of **** (that happens to accounts for a large population of the site as a whole).

I don't think that everyone that comes from reddit is a manchild, but they're certainly there and in numbers.

NNID
dansalvato
I'm glad this is getting attention. I personally like a subreddit-style feed better than a discussion forum-style feed (more organized, in my opinion), so I hope to start seeing some good posts there.

Massive

Smash Champion
I generalized, yeah. I don't believe that all redditors fit that stereotype, but the stereotype exists because the fraction of redditors that act like that (quite a noticeable fraction) is louder than the rest. It's like how 4chan has a bad reputation because /b/ is such a pile of **** (that happens to accounts for a large population of the site as a whole).

I don't think that everyone that comes from reddit is a manchild, but they're certainly there and in numbers.
Meme-spouting at tournaments has occurred long before reddit even existed. Hell, we (the smash community) have been inventing our own memes for years.

I'd wager that the average redditor is a lot more successful than you'd think. Almost everyone I've met who uses reddit in meatspace is a pretty awesome person.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Meme-spouting at tournaments has occurred long before reddit even existed. Hell, we (the smash community) have been inventing our own memes for years.

I'd wager that the average redditor is a lot more successful than you'd think. Almost everyone I've met who uses reddit in meatspace is a pretty awesome person.
Let me just clarify that I'm talking about people who you can identify as a redditor from a distance. I consider the stereotype different from someone who happens to use the site. And I don't consider Smash terminology and lingo to be meme-spouting, because every subculture has its slang. I'm just saying that it would be unpleasant for groups of self-proclaimed reddiors to,within the Smash community, begin acting like they're on Reddit en masse.

Massive

Smash Champion
Being that /r/smashbros is not a default reddit, we're only going to be getting people from the set of those who explicitly search for such a thing or see a compelling crosspost from /r/gaming or some other reddit.

You are (much) more likely to run into an obvious 4channer than an obvious redditor at a tournament.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Being that /r/smashbros is not a default reddit, we're only going to be getting people from the set of those who explicitly search for such a thing or see a compelling crosspost from /r/gaming or some other reddit.

You are (much) more likely to run into an obvious 4channer than an obvious redditor at a tournament.
This isn't necessarily true. Many people on r/gaming know about the big list of gaming subreddits and have used that to find the other communities. r/smashbros has been steadily climbing on that list. Subreddits feed on their own growth.

NNID
dansalvato
This isn't necessarily true. Many people on r/gaming know about the big list of gaming subreddits and have used that to find the other communities. r/smashbros has been steadily climbing on that list. Subreddits feed on their own growth.
But, also don't forget the fact that not everybody on Reddit is an obnoxious douchebag. There are just as many obnoxious non-Redditors as obnoxious Redditors. It's more about the personality of the individual.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
By the way, as someone who frequents r/smashbros a lot, it could really use more content. Averaging 1-2 posts per day does not cut it for a subreddit. If you guys really want to get people to use the subreddit more, start stimulating more activity.

Winnar

Smash Lord

This is an awesome word. Thank you for introducing me to it.

Also yeah I might start becoming a top contributor there again...maaaaaybeeeeee

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
This thread made me more interested in reddit, and I've now discovered how awesome and convenient the website is once you understand the layout (which really wasn't that hard when I decided to think)

oh and /r/smashbros/ is cool

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I didn't search through the thread so I'm not sure if someone has said this before. But Digg.com is kinda just like reddit. You share a link to a video or funny picture or whatever with whatever title you want. Pretty much like reddit.....So maybe we should give that a shot.

Massive

Smash Champion
I didn't search through the thread so I'm not sure if someone has said this before. But Digg.com is kinda just like reddit. You share a link to a video or funny picture or whatever with whatever title you want. Pretty much like reddit.....So maybe we should give that a shot.
seriously?

Kal

Smash Champion
Massive, that picture is absolutely terrifying.

Top Bottom