• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Existing moves/play styles on new characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM1

Banned via Warnings
So we know that every character from Brawl isn't going to make the cut since the development team doesn't have enough time and resources. We also know Sakurai doesn't want to let anyone down when their favorite character doesn't make it in, so it's going to be a tight roster when it's fully developed.

That being said here's what I was thinking: What if characters that don't make it into Smash 4 (due to whatever reason) become sort of 'reincarnated' within brand new characters? For example, if Pokemon Trainer got the boot but Ridley joined as a newcomer and incorporated a few of Charizard's moves and stats. Not to say Ridley would be a carbon copy of Charizard, just that he would play similarly/have some familiar moves that previous Charizard fans would enjoy in combination with brand new moves/stats. Considering those circumstances, if you were a fan of Charizard in Brawl, do you think you would enjoy this? Are a couple of fan favorite moves taken from Charizard not enough to fill the gap? Or if you hated Charizard, do you think you would still care for Ridley in Smash Bros 4?

To delve even further into it, what if some existing characters were given new move sets combining their old movess with other existing characters? Like, for example, if Wolf was cut in Smash Bros 4 but a few of his well known moves like his side special were given to Falco, who did happen to make it in? Would that be crossing the line or do you think it would work well with Falco and save room on the roster?

Hong

The Strongest
Snake has lost a lot of his marketing magic. Having him in the game would certainly still be beneficial, but they could considerably reduce the complications by switching him for Sami or another Advance Wars rep.

I would combine the best of Ness and Lucas into one character. Thus far the product of how Mother characters has been unacceptable. Fun for some, but could be MUCH better.

Depending on what what some of the subsidiary studios wish, Ike or Lucario could very well be gutted and their better qualities forfeited to someone else. We'll see.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Snake has lost a lot of his marketing magic. Having him in the game would certainly still be beneficial, but they could considerably reduce the complications by switching him for Sami or another Advance Wars rep.

I would combine the best of Ness and Lucas into one character. Thus far the product of how Mother characters has been unacceptable. Fun for some, but could be MUCH better.

Depending on what what some of the subsidiary studios wish, Ike or Lucario could very well be gutted and their better qualities forfeited to someone else. We'll see.
You.

I like you.

A lot.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
In a way, that already happened with Mewtwo. Lucario has his same B move and is rather floaty. Not saying they're clones, but some of his game has been incorporated.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
People are gonna hate me for this, but I would honestly be fine with Falco being removed. Fox and Wolf are really the only reps Starfox needs IMO. Maybe his blaster power could go to Fox, whereas the reflector kick could go to Wolf.

Lucas is another one who can get the boot. I would much prefer having Ness inherit some of his attributes like down special doing damage and the fact that a lot of his basic attacks incorporate PSI.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Lots of great ideas in here.

If by some "miracle" Ike were to get replaced by Chrom, I can see Chrom practically having the same moveset with a few tweaks, and maybe being a little lighter and faster. I'd prefer we just get Robin as the Awakening rep and keep Ike (to please others, not myself) rather than that, though. I'd very much enjoy Lucas and Ness getting combined into one character, too.

If we get Mewtwo back but not Lucario, I could also see Mewtwo getting some of Lucario's game, in one way or another. Not sure how exactly, but it seems like a possibility.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
If we get Mewtwo back but not Lucario, I could also see Mewtwo getting some of Lucario's game, in one way or another. Not sure how exactly, but it seems like a possibility.
I can see Confusion getting turned into more of a grab like in Project M to simulate Lucario's Side Special. Additionally his tail attacks getting changed to attacks similar to Lucarios Moves, but with a purple tint rather than blue

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I actually do like the idea of combining the two Mother reps into one. The only question is who to keep.
The answer is probably Ness. He's the international face of Mother.

I'm not against Falco leaving either. I'm not exactly well versed in Starfox, and I understand he's the fan favourite, but Fox and Wolf are fine representing a protagonist and antagonist surely...

I think for the most part the idea of cutting a character and replacing it with a new character in the same style would be met with criticism, fear and disdain, as much as I'd be okay with certain characters getting axed for such a thing.

Obviously people have been talking about giving Ganondorf's old moveset to Black Shadow for a while, so people have been considering the idea of porting old movesets onto new characters...they just also don't want to cut Ganondorf.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I kinda like the character Smash Ganondorf has become (well, Project M Ganon, anyway, because he isn't terrible). I wouldn't mind keeping him while making a few changes to make it less obvious that he stole Cap's moves.

Keagan and Kam

Smash Rookie
We've been hunting around for a while, and we can't find any listings, may just be a shortcoming of our attention spans but we'd like to know if there's any tournaments (bsides Apex) for the 2014 year?
Thanks

Hong

The Strongest
I kinda like the character Smash Ganondorf has become (well, Project M Ganon, anyway, because he isn't terrible). I wouldn't mind keeping him while making a few changes to make it less obvious that he stole Cap's moves.
As odd as it sounds, i rather have that fighting style moved to someone else, sort of. His Forward B certainly suits him, but i would like if he had a weapon and Dead Man's Volley.

I do like having a humanoid heavyweight of his style, though, so it should only happen if they can support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom