• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Excuse me? $90 for the ADAPTER!?

Does this anger you?

• Wasn't gonna get the game anyway.

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Keep calm, they're gonna make more.

Votes: 74 40.4%
  • $90!?!?!? HELLO!?

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Already have one. Guess I'm lucky.

Votes: 67 36.6%
  • Maybe another response?

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters

SharpMcHappy

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully they'll make more. I bought a gamecube controller not too long ago just to play smash, so I really hope that more of 'em gets produced. Heck, I don't even know if they're gonna release the GC adapters where I live. I hope they do ;-;

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hopefully they'll make more. I bought a gamecube controller not too long ago just to play smash, so I really hope that more of 'em gets produced. Heck, I don't even know if they're gonna release the GC adapters where I live. I hope they do ;-;
They'll eventually become easily obtainable. It's just hard for Nintendo to know exactly how many would satisfy the masses. Producing too many would be expensive.

LeKevin

Smash Rookie
It scares me, I almost did not get the bundle, and even almost canceled it because I thought I could always get it a little after the game. I am so glad I didn't, and I'm so sorry everyone has to wait. But I'm also glad I'll have an advantage for a bit in FG- Ahaha, not really ._.

Last edited:

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
As of five minutes ago:

The rampant price gouging has actually gotten to the point that you can buy a Refurbished Wii U system from Nintendo with gamepad and free pack-in for the same price.

the8thark

Smash Lord
As of five minutes ago:

The rampant price gouging has actually gotten to the point that you can buy a Refurbished Wii U system from Nintendo with gamepad and free pack-in for the same price.
That's just disgusting. The lengths people will go to, to try and make a quick buck off a product shortage. :(

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
That's just disgusting. The lengths people will go to, to try and make a quick buck off a product shortage. :(
I was disappointed to miss getting one locally at its normal retail price by three minutes... but for these prices, I'll wait as long as it takes.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Outta curiosity... why didn't you guys preorder? I'm not implying I knew they'd be so scarce, but I certainly know that I wanted them once I learned of their existence. I paid full price for them months ago.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Outta curiosity... why didn't you guys preorder? I'm not implying I knew they'd be so scarce, but I certainly know that I wanted them once I learned of their existence. I paid full price for them months ago.
I have a Wii U Pro controller. I wanted to get a chance to actually play the game using the controller to get a feel for it before putting down money on a peripheral that I can't use with any of my other games.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
It's no different to ticket scalping at inflated prices due to high demand. Nothing illegal with what he did but yeah selling it at 5x the price just cause of demand well I'll let the crowd be the judge on that one.
Welcome to the wonderful world of economics mate. If supply is low, and demand is high, the value of the supply shoots up. Honestly, what he did was a very smart move. People are so desperate for getting their hands on these devices that they are stupid enough to buy it now for a higher price than wait to get it at the normal price.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I have a Wii U Pro controller. I wanted to get a chance to actually play the game using the controller to get a feel for it before putting down money on a peripheral that I can't use with any of my other games.
Do you own GameCube controllers currently? Would it not have been a decent investment to enable those options?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Supply and demand! It's a *****, but it makes business and the economy go 'round.

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Nintendo thought the Tablet would prevail over the Gamecube controller so they were not prepared for the massive outbreak of want for the Adapter. So basically Nintendo didn't make enough and now they are extremely rare until Nintendo can make more and send them out.

TL;DR: Nintendo done ****ed up.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Do you own GameCube controllers currently? Would it not have been a decent investment to enable those options?
Yes, I own a few Gamecube controllers, but most of my friends are still on the 3DS version and I won't really have anyone to play it with locally until like January, so I'm fine with waiting.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yes, I own a few Gamecube controllers, but most of my friends are still on the 3DS version and I won't really have anyone to play it with locally until like January, so I'm fine with waiting.
Fair enough. I suppose I'm more of a pack rat in this regard: even if I have no one to play with, I want the devices... JUST IN CASE!

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
You guys really should've just preordered the bundle.
Except the bundle was in VERY LOW SUPPLY. I went to reserve a bundle and they were already out... over a month before the game's release.

However they let me pre-order everything separately, but I had to wait till morning to get the adapter because they were being shipped in a UPS truck on release day instead of being available at the midnight.

I lucked out in the end, especially, because I had it in time for my party. :3

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
You forgot to mention the human element. People want the thing in demand so much they will pay the higher prices. It's a weakness people have, they can't wait for the item so they feel a need to buy it now at an inflated price. And the sellers who sell these highly sought after items at highly inflated prices are praying on this human weakness.

Everything you said I agree on 100%. And I know the scalping of food when it was in demand when it flooded here a few years back. Not fun at all and the retailers who did it, did face criminal charges.
Supply and demand. Did you sleep through school?

This "human weakness" is an innate function of the market. I'm not forcing anyone to buy from me. Forcing me to keep me from selling a higher price would actually be objectively immoral. This is a simple exchange between two consenting individuals.

I've seen you act pathetically pretentious before plenty, so I'm not entirely surprised that you'd so self-righteously call out someone for acting outside your arbitrary morality.

The real ones to blame are Nintendo for severely underestimating demand. I find all this incessant whining over people charging higher prices to be quite childish.

EDIT: I'll take the warning, mods. Just thought I'd put this moron in his place. Won't happen again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 278362

It's not a problem for me right now. While interested in playing Smash with a GC controller for the first time, the only one I have is wireless and the joystick has no pad.

I also don't have SSB4U at the moment.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Okay, guys. Supply and demand. Hate the game, not the player. I'm pretty sure people get the concept. Frankly, it's a tired argument.

Maybe some of the people that really felt like they wanted one should have pre-ordered it, but it seems silly to blame them for when you could just as easily make the argument that Nintendo should have performed some additional market research on the anticipated demand before committing to a product run. Both of these are moot points since the supply problem is what it is and isn't going to get fixed until at least the next production run.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Except the bundle was in VERY LOW SUPPLY. I went to reserve a bundle and they were already out... over a month before the game's release.

However they let me pre-order everything separately, but I had to wait till morning to get the adapter because they were being shipped in a UPS truck on release day instead of being available at the midnight.

I lucked out in the end, especially, because I had it in time for my party. :3
I knew they would be. Most bundles like that are. I preordered mine back in August because that's pretty much how these things work.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yeah, the complete bundle was unavailable for preorder by the time I went to do it. However, I'm grateful it worked out that way. I reserved two adapters and pre-loaded the game digitally. I ordered two white controllers, and my 8-player party went perfectly.

I too had the problem of my local Gamestop not having the adapters at the start of the day. We had to wait for the truck to arrive.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Supply and demand. Did you sleep through school?
put this moron in his place. Won't happen again.
There is market forces. That we all agree on. There is also the moral dilemma with all of this. Both exist and both matter. Well to most people anyway.
And please keep it civil. No one had a go at you, so please keep your not so nice words to PMs.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If people are willing to buy a limited stock item for a lot of money, more power to the person selling. If it doesn't sell, then they lower the price. I'd never buy something like this for this price, but some people will.

I didn't get the Adapter in time, I assumed it would be available after the fact, but I was wrong, and I don't get the adapter. So now I'm trying to learn the new control scheme on the GamePad instead. If Nintendo releases another batch, I'll snap it up right away, but I won't spend that much money for a single adapter.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
There is market forces. That we all agree on. There is also the moral dilemma with all of this. Both exist and both matter. Well to most people anyway.
And please keep it civil. No one had a go at you, so please keep your not so nice words to PMs.
No, there most certainly isn't any moral dilemma here. You've just slapped a "moral dilemma" into practically every facet of human interaction by deeming a simple matter of demand working in function with supply presents a moral dilemma.

Buying and selling for a higher price is an economic institution that permeates practically everywhere across the globe.

It'd be another matter if we're talking food and water (though I'd still argue that morality is problematically arbitrary then), but we're talking a video game accessory. And idiots are acting as though people who try to make a quick buck because they happened to seize an opportunity is somehow "wrong." I agree with the general sentiment; I wouldn't pay a dime past $20 for this adapter. But there are people who will, and there's absolutely no moral quandary with people satisfying other's need for this product.

Again, the real ones to blame are Nintendo, though obviously I wouldn't be as silly as to call them "immoral." They severely underestimated demand.

Oh, and if I'm supposed to pretend you didn't have a go at me, fine.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
No, there most certainly isn't any moral dilemma here. You've just slapped a "moral dilemma" into practically every facet of human interaction by deeming a simple matter of demand working in function with supply presents a moral dilemma.

Buying and selling for a higher price is an economic institution that permeates practically everywhere across the globe.

It'd be another matter if we're talking food and water (though I'd still argue that morality is problematically arbitrary then), but we're talking a video game accessory. And idiots are acting as though people who try to make a quick buck because they happened to seize an opportunity is somehow "wrong." I agree with the general sentiment; I wouldn't pay a dime past $20 for this adapter. But there are people who will, and there's absolutely no moral quandary with people satisfying other's need for this product.

Again, the real ones to blame are Nintendo, though obviously I wouldn't be as silly as to call them "immoral." They severely underestimated demand.

Business and ethics are not totally separate as some people think. They are linked. How much you are willing to go over the RRP of a product just because of an extreme shortage of it is really a moral issue. Nothing wrong with doing it, just some people are ok with doing it and others are not. That's all.

And feel free to quote the exact posts (and post segments) where I had a go at you, so I can apologise. I didn't think I had a go at you but if I did I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Snip

Let's be real for a minute here. Rationalizing that you were just doing what everyone else was doing or that it's just free marketing in play doesn't change facts. You bought more than you needed so that you could take advantage of a situation by making a profit off of someone else who couldn't buy the same product because it was out of stock.

I'm not going to try and say that if scalpers and other people looking to make a quick buck hadn't bought out the remaining supply, everyone who wanted one would be able to get one and it would be fine. You're right that, ultimately, Nintendo failed to properly anticipate the demand for the product when they were working out the production details.

But the reality of your decision means that someone else down the line was going to get the shaft instead of getting it at MSRP like you did. I'm not going to pass judgement, but getting upset over someone pointing out this simple fact is... well, pretty silly.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Business and ethics are not totally separate as some people think. They are linked. How much you are willing to go over the RRP of a product just because of an extreme shortage of it is really a moral issue. Nothing wrong with doing it, just some people are ok with doing it and others are not. That's all.
Business ethics and morality, which is so painfully arbitrary, are most certainly less linked than people think.

It's like you didn't even read my post; you're repeating yourself.

All morality that you'd associate with this is purely parametrized, and can be argued for every facet of human interaction.

Stuff

But the reality of your decision means that someone else down the line was going to get the shaft instead of getting it at MSRP like you did. I'm not going to pass judgement, but getting upset over someone pointing out this simple fact is... well, pretty silly.
Except "pointing it out" isn't what he did. Read again:
I guess profit trumps morals right?
Apology accepted.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
In order for it to start to become a kinda sorta maybe ethics issue, some aggressive businessman would have to sweep through the nation and buy up as many adapters as possible purposely denying the public access to more than half of the supply. From there, Nintendo would release an announcement that the device is no longer in production. Then... we have a problem. Of course, there is still the issue that this is a completely non-essential item in our lives.

More adapters are coming. It is the natural order of things for people to buy up stuff and sell it during a period of scarcity. From there, people have to decide which is more valuable: time or money. Since we know the adapters will be back soon, there's no reason to fight over this.

My condolences go out to those whose release day smashfests were ruined by low supply.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
^ Even then it's arbitrary. The consumer pool retains the right to refuse to purchase until the "aggressive businessman" lowers his price. A consumer's version of collective bargaining, if you will.

It'll remain arbitrary even when we get into drastically ugly cases of food/water scarcity. I obviously wouldn't side with price-gougers, but to call them "immoral" while advocating for action against them (which would probably be theft) would be profoundly hypocritical.

Cobli Samus

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamusAran1979
feeling lucky that I just walked into bestbuy at 8pm an got their last adapter without preordering
Haha that's exactly what happened to me, except it was about 11am. I picked up my pre-ordered game on the 21st from a particular Best Buy at 10am (where I received my Smash coin) but that particular store never even received a shipment of peripherals to stock shelves with. So I called another one closer to where I lived and they had 1 left, and held it for me. I had no idea these peripherals would be so sparingly provided by Nintendo.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I had no idea these peripherals would be so sparingly provided by Nintendo.
I don't think it's a case of limited supply. I think it's more a case of Nintendo not wanting to over supply them just in case they didn't sell well and Nintendo can't afford to write off dead stock. But since the demand for this was so huge the shortage occurred.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Are we gonna start a Twitter campaign to get Nintendo to add GC support to existing games? (Starting with Mario Kart 8, of course...)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
In Canada the bundle was an EB Games exclusive (EB Games is the Canadian version of Game Stop)

The professionalism and business practices and repeatedly not having the preorder bonus at launch, has left a sour taste with me and I have boycotted purchasing games from there.

That's why I didn't pre order.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
GC on the VC would be pretty cool with the adapter.
Ehhh, I tried using the GC controller for VC games, and honestly, it sucks. The GC controller is not made for those games in mind.

Top Bottom