• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Excuse me? $90 for the ADAPTER!?

Does this anger you?

• Wasn't gonna get the game anyway.

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Keep calm, they're gonna make more.

Votes: 74 40.4%
  • $90!?!?!? HELLO!?

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Already have one. Guess I'm lucky.

Votes: 67 36.6%
  • Maybe another response?

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I was looking at prices for the Wii U to see if I wanted it for Christmas, and then I found this:

http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-gamecube-adapters-sold-out-online-prices-g-1662162871

Like, are you kidding me!? $90!? I mean I realize Nintendo is probably going to make more of these in the future when they realize this is an issue, but the fact that the price on this thing skyrocketed in a spam of 3 days is just rediculous.

Anyone else outraged?

Mello Yello

Smash Rookie
There's a demand for a product in low supply, of course people are going to charge a ridiculous cost for these leftover adapters. Just give it time, Nintendo will eventually have more in stock.

Not a single person should ever pay more than $19.99 for one of these adapters, ever.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Oh man now I feel less guilty for buying the Adapter + controller with my credit card. Luckily they had it at the Best Buy I bought it in.

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
If the demand is anything to go by, it appears as though Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will probably be considered the Wii U`s killer app.

I refuse to buy the GameCube adapter if the price is above $20, especially since, at the moment, it can only be used for one game

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
90 bucks? No thank you, I'll stick with my Pro Controller till Nintendo eventually has more in stock...

90$...Bullcrap.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Welcome to supply and demand. That being said though, I'd never play ninety dollars for some handy plastic
90 bucks? No thank you, I'll stick with my Pro Controller till Nintendo eventually has more in stock...

90$...Bullcrap.
IKR? I mean what if this encouraged really technical people to take parts of a Nintendo Gamecube Console and then make a port of thier own? Then again, they did something like that for the 3DS right? Wern't there third party gamecub controller adapters to begin with before this?

Whatevevs, price will drop in time hopefully.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I bought 2.... Cause I have 8 gcn controllers 2 are the new smash ones I'm sitting in a gold mine but i was prepared for this

the8thark

Smash Lord
The OP could have tried to pre-order an adapter from a PAL region. Would have costed less than $90 with shipping and the only downside is waiting a few more days for it to get to you.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You guys really should've just preordered the bundle.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You guys really should've just preordered the bundle.
That probably would've been a good idea. Could've gotten the game as well as well as another Gamecube Controller but now the price for that thing is doubled.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I guess I'm that asshole. I bought two for $20 each, one for my family, and one for reselling once the demand would go through the roof because I'm capitalist leik dat. Just sold that one for $112.

Everyone saw this coming, really. The bundle was insanely limited in quantity to begin with.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I guess I'm that *******. I bought two for $20 each, one for my family, and one for reselling once the demand would go through the roof because I'm capitalist leik dat. Just sold that one for $112.

Everyone saw this coming, really. The bundle was insanely limited in quantity to begin with.
Now THAT's profit!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I guess I'm that *******. I bought two for $20 each, one for my family, and one for reselling once the demand would go through the roof because I'm capitalist leik dat. Just sold that one for $112.

Oh no, it's actually quite a pragmatic thing to do. I did the same with a limited edition marble blue vinyl I have yet to sell. I did the same thing with another vinyl about a year ago where I bought it for fifteen dollars and sold it for seventy-five

Couldn't get the one I preordered at launch, so I went to best buy the morning of release and I was able to get it. Now I have one I'm using and another one waiting for me, guess I'm lucky.

Early bird gets the worm.

JayFresh

Smash Cadet
didnt even know you had to pre order bundle, thankfully a buddy of mine is a manager at gamestop and put one aside for me whew!! XD

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
thank **** i had it preordered
This. I preordered it in September after debating so much to just wait until they announce the release date. Then when I saw the box and contents I preordered. I was afraid of this and I feel for those who want one but please don't pay $90 for one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow, is the Gamecube Adapter supply really this short? I had a feeling it would be quite limited, just didn't realize it would be that limited.... ^^;

Well good thing Game still had some in stock despite that I preordered very late. Today in fact.... :x

That said, I'm pretty sure they will produce more if the demand is high.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
1. Never ever link to Kotaku, screw those guys.

2. The smart money was on pre ordering the bundle. I knew this would happen.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Nintendo doesn't even sell the Wii ethernet adapter, which sakurai himself said is a must have for smooth online play.

So go and buy a 3d party ethernet usb adapter on amazon, they work perfectly great. Buy one with good reviews. Mine works fantastically.

As for the GC adapter, waiting is the only thing you can do.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Couldn't get the one I preordered at launch, so I went to best buy the morning of release and I was able to get it. Now I have one I'm using and another one waiting for me, guess I'm lucky.

Early bird gets the worm.
didnt even know you had to pre order bundle, thankfully a buddy of mine is a manager at gamestop and put one aside for me whew!! XD
Man a lot of you are so lucky.
The amazon prices for GCN adapters are ridiculous.
IDK?

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
Wow, is the Gamecube Adapter supply really this short? I had a feeling it would be quite limited, just didn't realize it would be that limited.... ^^;

Well good thing Game still had some in stock despite that I preordered very late. Today in fact.... :x

That said, I'm pretty sure they will produce more if the demand is high.
Demand will probably remain high through Christmas.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lucked out, I guess, and both my friend and I got the adapter on launch day, without a preorder, at regular price. They'll ship more, hopefully. G'luck!

Til then, I recommend using the 3DS version as a controller if you have it. Better than the gamepad at least.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well, it's good to have it early this time around. It's Smash Bros and most people like to play with a GameCube controller, so seeing this all happening is extremely inevitable. I wouldn't say sucks to be you because being patient usually give cheaper deals down the road. But if people want it by the holidays, you better treat it like a Black Friday deal and take no chances.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Well, I guess I'm using the Wii U Pro Controllers....

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord

I guess profit trumps morals right?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
My local GameStop never had any in stock ever when I went to buy one on its release day. I seriously have the worst GameStop near me they are always screwingscrewing up.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'm glad I reserved two. Seeing the extreme shortage is shocking.

What he did was in no way immoral.
It's no different to ticket scalping at inflated prices due to high demand. Nothing illegal with what he did but yeah selling it at 5x the price just cause of demand well I'll let the crowd be the judge on that one.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Lucked out, I guess, and both my friend and I got the adapter on launch day, without a preorder, at regular price. They'll ship more, hopefully. G'luck!

Til then, I recommend using the 3DS version as a controller if you have it. Better than the gamepad at least.
After getting used to it and having absolutley no problems when I played the 3DS version, I agree with you.
90? Its 20 for me at gamestop that is
Then you must have a Gamestop where they have like a ton of those things.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It's no different to ticket scalping at inflated prices due to high demand. Nothing illegal with what he did but yeah selling it at 5x the price just cause of demand well I'll let the crowd be the judge on that one.
Did someone force that person to pay 5x the amount? I've purchased low supply high demand items before. Generally, I'm happy with the purchase because it is in such low supply. It's basic economics. We're not talking about price gouging on food and water, are we?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Did someone force that person to pay 5x the amount? I've purchased low supply high demand items before. Generally, I'm happy with the purchase because it is in such low supply. It's basic economics. We're not talking about price gouging on food and water, are we?
You forgot to mention the human element. People want the thing in demand so much they will pay the higher prices. It's a weakness people have, they can't wait for the item so they feel a need to buy it now at an inflated price. And the sellers who sell these highly sought after items at highly inflated prices are praying on this human weakness.

Everything you said I agree on 100%. And I know the scalping of food when it was in demand when it flooded here a few years back. Not fun at all and the retailers who did it, did face criminal charges.

Top Bottom