• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exactly what kind of attacks can Dedede negate with his Utilt?

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
As of late, I've seen/heard that Utilt has the ability to go through certain projectiles/attacks with relative ease. For example, in one of Fogo's videos (it was the last one) sometime near the end he clanked an oncoming Yoshi egg with his Utilt. I've heard rumors that it supposedly can even negate an Olimar grab. That brings up the question: What else can it block?

I'll see what I can do as far as physical testing goes, but if anyone has anything to add, you're more than welcome to post, of course.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Alright I got around to some good old fashioned testing.

These are the projectiles that Utlit cancels, going by the character select screen, from left to right. I only included characters that have attacks that are cancelled by Dedede's Utilt.

Mario
-Fireball (Only if it was launched in the air)

Link
-Arrows
-Gale Boomerang
-Bombs (I think there is a somewhat exact timing and placement, because I did it a few times, but I can't do it consistently yet.)

Samus
-Power Missile
-Homing Missile

Mr. Game & Watch
-Food

Luigi
-Fireball (Only if it was launched in the air)

Diddy
- Peanut Popgun

Zelda
-Din's Fire

Pit
-Arrows

Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur)
-Razor Leaf

Snake
-Nikita Missile (Interesting, it sends the missile straight up)
-Mortar (I moved Snake after I did a full charged mortar, so it was only the mortar)

Peach
-Turnips

Yoshi
-Eggs

Lucario
-Aura Sphere(But only up to 103%, interestingly enough. After that it'll go right through and hit you)

Ness
-PK Thunder

Sonic
-Spring

Toon Link
-Arrows
-Boomerang
-Bombs (I think there is a somewhat exact timing and placement, because I did it a few times, but I can't do it consistently yet.)

ROB
-Gyro (Only if it was launched in the air)

Olimar
-Pikmin Throw
-Forward Smash (Interesting, you get hit by it, but then it dies.)
-Grab (I got the grab to go past me a few times, but I can't do it consistently)

Lucas
-PK Thunder

CO18

Smash Hero
Hmm cool. Thx for testing this, didnt expect some things, like snake's nikita for example.

Good to know anyway.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I was a bit surprised at a few things myself. It's not exactly going to break any matchups, but it's useful to know, I guess. I'd really like to get better at the Din's Fire and the various Olimar cancels.

Oh, and if someone could help figure out where exactly on Dedede's head the bombs are canceled, that'd be great. I think it's between the gold part and the little puffball on the top.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Hmm, pretty decent info. The timing must be dead on though..definitely not a reliable option.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
MK's tornado has been stopped by my utlit a few times

Not sure if this only occurs during start up frames of the tornado, which is very possible.

Ive also stopped a Samus bomb drop before with an utlit

3xSwords

Smash Lord
"Meh, most of this information is wrong.

I have to go to work so I can't really elaborate atm but for example, D3's utilt has invincibility frames, which is why it goes through the nado, not because he "Moves back" >_>"
quote by Hylian from this thread, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189973

So if it is true shouldn't D3 be able to beat every attack with his utilt? And is it actually true that D3 has invincibility frames on his utilt?

Top Bottom