• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVOLUTION 2007= SSBM singles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
www.Evo2k.com

Evolution, the highest level and longest running fighting game tournament in the USA, just announced SSBM in its lineup for 2007. Exact details and format have not been announced yet, but the 4 main events of Evolution this year are

EVO East (Stamford, CT) (outside of NYC) May 25-27

EVO North (Northbrook IL) (outside of Chicago) June 22-24

EVO West (Los Angeles, CA) July 27-29

EVO World Final (Las Vegas, NV) August 24-26

All 4 tourneys are open tournaments, but the top 8 from East, North, and West are seeded at EVO World Final.

The regionals prizes are awarded based on attendence, the world final prizes are guarunteed via sponsorship and what not.

GET PUMPED!

http://evo2k.com/playerGuide/gamerules.php

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
It's about ****in time. EVO finally realized Smash was too good of a thing to pass up. Good for them. I'll be trying to make one...

Nickoten

Smash Rookie
It really just comes down to what people want to play. The majority of the SRK crowd is in to 2D fighters, so they're prominent in the tournament even now, but if there's a common enough interest in another game it could be featured for variety. For example, Mario Kart got put in last time, I think. I guess they found there was a decent amount of Smash players at SRK, or just wanted to get new players involved.

Either way the focus of EVO doesn't necessarily mean there isn't room for less traditional games (SSBM), or even games out of the genre entirely (Mario Kart), and we have two examples for it. I'm not saying the tournament will (Or should) lose its focus, but I do like that they're giving a nod to alternative types of fighters.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Woah, this is really big news...

Time for some chain posting.

Posting in a legendary thread.

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Back years ago I remember lots of EVO regulars fighting for their life not to allow smash in because they said it was kiddie, anyone could master it (partly because it had no button combination moves) and it was not a real fighting game.

Owned.

They could have picked a better video though.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
This is ****ing huge. But im just wondering you guys gonna go just for smash?

Will we see people that play multiple fighters at evo already (Mr Wong im looking at you) start playing smash? Will we see an uprise in the popularity of smash?

Oh yeah and Posting in a legendary thread.

nublet06

Smash Lord
it says something about top 8 from each region advancing to the vegas finals. does this mean they are looking for a 32 man bracket? for instance what if the same top 8 won in each region. would it just be an 8 man bracket?

or is it top 8 form overall performance... i think it would be cool to have 8 from each region as apposed to 8 total. that way we could all see how bad east coast ***** us :(

nvm i see now. those 32 people get a bye. very interesting.

HipHopSpam

Smash Apprentice
is this gonna be worth going to? There are SOOO many smash tourneys out there, why seperate a date for this particular event....Also, what about the MLG smash people and their promises to not forget about us. Whats to stop us from forgetting about them?

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
it says something about top 8 from each region advancing to the vegas finals. does this mean they are looking for a 32 man bracket? for instance what if the same top 8 won in each region. would it just be an 8 man bracket?

or is it top 8 form overall performance... i think it would be cool to have 8 from each region as apposed to 8 total. that way we could all see how bad east coast ***** us :(

The way it works is that the top 8 from each of the regional tourneys do not have to play in "Qualifying pools" in worlds.

This is up in the air, b/c format has not been ironed out yet for this year. But last year, it was REALLY important to qualify, since if you were 2nd out of qualifying pools, you started w/ 1 loss in a double elim tourney.

Qualifying guaruntees you top 32 or 64 w/o risking a loss.

Make sure you're warmed up though... It gets tough real fast.

If the same person won in multiple tourneys, he only qualifies once. Happened last year w/ Seth Killian qualifying for ST.

BTW, most Evo's have a LARGE Japanese contingent show up at world finals. I wonder if they'll bring any smash players??

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
Evo Forum Thread

Hey guys.

I'm pretty sure that other then renegade,PC,and me no one else posted over in that forum showing support for the announcement for smash. It'd be awesome if you guys signed up over there and show that the smash community deserves a chance at this tournament.

Just so you all know allot of those guys don't like it at all that smash is in this tournament, and without our support they might not put it in next season.

pdk

Smash Lord
is this gonna be worth going to? There are SOOO many smash tourneys out there, why seperate a date for this particular event
it's evo, come on

and any word on if any particular top names in smash are interested in showing up?

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Evo Forum Thread

Hey guys.

I'm pretty sure that other then renegade,PC,and me no one else posted over in that forum showing support for the announcement for smash. It'd be awesome if you guys signed up over there and show that the smash community deserves a chance at this tournament.

Just so you all know allot of those guys don't like it at all that smash is in this tournament, and without our support they might not put it in next season.
I've been posting there under eddymasta.

Cort

Apple Head
Dibs on housing Isai/possibly Ken.

malva00: you ready for that evo tourny in CT?
Cort 28633: yeah
malva00: can you house me?
Cort 28633: sure
Cort 28633: O_O
malva00: HOORAY!
malva00: I asked first YES
malva00: I get priority <<
Cort 28633: who would you team with isai >.>
Cort 28633: if there is 2v2
malva00: IDK
malva00: I'd probably ask ken if he wanted to come
Cort 28633: >___>