• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2k8 (no rules discussion)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
trying to act like some "Innocent good guy"
its absolutely hilarious how you saying "You're upset too" doesnt add up with anything.

And I like how Im automatically mad because im over here discussing what's happening. No, Im just doing that because, unlike on SRK, people dont get autobanned for disagreeing with specific elitist if they do it in a proper manner.

___

You want me to "stop being mad", here.

HOLY CRAP EVO WORLD IS GOING TO HAVE A LOCATION TEST OF CAPCOM VS ANIME.

That's amazing, that doesnt change what happened in the development of it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The one aspect that Evo staff currently has against the Smash community lies in their reactions to Melee 2k7, which, had Brawl not come out, would have made Melee dropped along w/ Guilty Gear. The attitude that came from the players that finished in the top spots regarding how Evo was run was nearly as offensive as the lack of the finalists of GGAC not showing up for their finals.
AlphaZealot said:
Evo World also allowed Smash a chance to be in the spotlight of a traditionally hostile Smash environment. Evo staff member Jchensor stated after the event that “as a brand new community added to the Evolution line-up, the Smash Bros. players had every reason to come in very skeptical and behave very poorly. But instead, they decided to prove why they deserve respect and why they deserve to remain at future Evolution tournaments. The players came out in droves, becoming instantly one of the largest tournaments at Evo in terms of number of contestants.”

Getyourtournament's owner Glenn Cravens described the event in a recent email, "the crowd at the Evo's Championship Sunday was emotionally drawn in at the start and finish. Nearly 1,000 people were in the building, and they went crazy when Mango upset Ken in the first match of the final eight. Then in the final moments of the championship, the crowd was chanting "Hugs! Hugs!" as he tried to hold on in that final stock. By then, the crowd was about at 1,200. About 1,200 people going for one guy; I had never heard that before anywhere in any game. To hear it at a tournament where many people thought Melee was their dinner break, that was amazing. "
If you find Jchensors blog (to lazy to link it right now) you can read all of the about 5 long paragraphs of most positive points and praise for the Smash community. Some players undoubtably were *****. At the end of the day, most weren't, and unlike GG, everyone showed up on time.

That said:

Guys, let the thread alone. If you don't plan on going, then don't post. Thats it. Period. Don't post if you aren't going, and don't post telling other players not to go. Let whoever is planning on going post. For a normal tournament, I would not enforce this, but this thread is just going to devolve into a flame war/item debate/a rehash of so many things discussed so many times. Its pointless. If you go, talk about rides/whatever. If you don't plan to go, don't post, go to the threads and tournaments you do plan on going to.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ok.

I'm still planning on going, cause EVO still has games that I play.

I'm just voicing my opinion about how thing panned out for the game related to this forum. Correct me if im wrong, that's following all the criteria for this thread.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Stages with prominent walls aren't banned either. Say hello to infinite everywhere.
How many people going main characters with various wall locks and infinites? I could easily see the finals literally devolve into who can infinite the other the most.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
SRK bothers me. I had a whole trip to visit family planned around my being there for this tournament.
Now it feels like flying from east coast to west coast just to flip a coin(a generous representation of brawls metagame mixed with SRK's party game ruleset) and then fly home.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
I honestly don't care what evo decides to do, but this WILL NOT become the way REAL competitive smash is played and therefore this tournament will have very little impact on future tournaments.

I see nothing wrong with going (though I never would) but in the long run I wouldn't get too used to these rules cause evo is just 1 tournament out of thousands to come, and im sure 90% of them wont use ******** rules like these.

So go to evo if you like, i'm sure it will be fun. I just wouldn't recommend putting money into a game where the tides could change at any moment due to a random item explosion.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Hello, I'm here today to share with you an exciting upcoming event. I've been given the opportunity to host the 25th annual PBA Championship. Anyone who has an interest is welcome. This event will be held in Peoria, Illinois on September 13 at the Riverside Bowling Centre. The entry cost will be $50.00 for registered members and $75.00 for people who are unregistered.

Unlike the previous tournaments, I'm making sure various objects will be placed upon the lanes. The type of objects and number will be determined by picking cards out of a hat. This will force the bowlers to play the game like they've never played it before. I've consulted with the PBA committee and the vast majority of the PBA community regarding this decision and it's unanimous: They disapprove wholeheartedly. Regardless, this tournament will continue on as planned. The community has yet to prove to me that this isn't how the game should be played. Although my experience is dreadfully lacking, I'm confident this is how the event should be set up.

I will be setting up a special online discussion board with the times and rules posted. Partcipants may comment on the site if they wish, however any remarks about the rules is strictly prohibited(unless you are in favor of them).

Thank you for your time and I hope to see you all there!

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
It's been a while since I've even been to either forum, but after all the months of endless debating, I wish good luck to Evo. I got $5k from Mario Kart DS from them 2 years ago, so they can't be all that bad. I think the Evo staff is very nice and reasonable, and still are.

Despite everything, I did have plans to go, just for the lulz of it all. But circumstances have changed and I probably won't make it. Though I wish I could be there to see how things turn out.

Keits, lol. Guy runs down to ATL south on SRK and tries to call me ******** because i have the ability to read his posts and click the quote button. That's why his buddys dont even listen to his suggestions. And i thought Dark Prince had a bad rep. XD
lolKeits. He thinks he's the leader of some crusade, when really he's nothing more than the first lemming to have jumped the cliff.

Top Bottom