• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2015 Breaks 1000 Sign Ups For Melee

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I'm for the most part a smash 4 player, but common guys! this post is about melee! Smash wii u was barely even mentioned.

KingJames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KingJames95
3DS FC
4270-1781-8413
I did watch Melee at EVO 2014, the entire tournament last year, and I nearly fell asleep. Anything unique was drowned out by endless Fox and Marth. Even the player I came for, Amsa, failed to impress with his completely ordinary loss.

Also, "half the cast is viable"? Don't make me laugh. All I ever see are Fox and Marth, Fox and Marth, over and over and over again. Armada's Peach/YL and Hungrybox's Jigglypuff were rare exceptions. Nearly everyone who breaks the "Fox and Marth" rule, like a couple of Samuses, a Dr. Mario, a Captain Falcon, and, of course, Amsa's Yoshi... Guess which characters they all lost to.

Also, I'm utterly sick of those music tracks from the same six stages for over a decade. Not to mention the Star Fox and Fire Emblem victory jingles...

I honestly can't think of any design flaws it has other than its complete and utter mangling of Lucario and the continued presence of L-canceling instead of autocanceling - which is a problem I have with Melee anyway - so I don't know what you're talking about. Unless you count character and stage viability as a "flaw", which I have heard people argue before.

And Nintendo needs to get of their high horse with the copyright thing. Scratch that – modern copyright law as a whole needs to get off its high horse.

The age is another problem I have with Melee - the price barrier. No new players can get into the scene unless they have hundreds of dollars because the disks are that rare now.

Seriously, Mitt Romney is more open to new people coming in than the Melee community.

I could understand it being dominant in the Brawl era, because Brawl was horrible. The current games are decidedly not horrible, so it's not just its recentness that makes me support 4.
Not that hard to hack your Wii and get melee for free

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Not that hard to hack your Wii and get melee for free
That's called "piracy", and unlike PM, that's a legal black area rather than a legal grey area.

I'll CONSIDER giving Melee another chance if it gets a Wii U VC release, making it available to people without large fortunes to burn and pirates. But the community will probably find some way to complain about that if it ever happens, too.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
"Melee is an old game, it should die."

Baseball is an older game, it should die.

I'll CONSIDER giving Melee another chance if it gets a Wii U VC release, making it available to people without large fortunes to burn and pirates. But the community will probably find some way to complain about that if it ever happens, too.
Depends on if it comes with gamecube adapter support.

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
I did watch Melee at EVO 2014, the entire tournament last year, and I nearly fell asleep. Anything unique was drowned out by endless Fox and Marth. Even the player I came for, Amsa, failed to impress with his completely ordinary loss.

Also, "half the cast is viable"? Don't make me laugh. All I ever see are Fox and Marth, Fox and Marth, over and over and over again. Armada's Peach/YL and Hungrybox's Jigglypuff were rare exceptions. Nearly everyone who breaks the "Fox and Marth" rule, like a couple of Samuses, a Dr. Mario, a Captain Falcon, and, of course, Amsa's Yoshi... Guess which characters they all lost to.

Also, I'm utterly sick of those music tracks from the same six stages for over a decade. Not to mention the Star Fox and Fire Emblem victory jingles...

The age is another problem I have with Melee - the price barrier. No new players can get into the scene unless they have hundreds of dollars because the disks are that rare now.

You claim that you watched EVO 2014 but your post says otherwise:

• There were only 2 Foxes in top 8: Silent Wolf and Mang0.
  • There were only 2 Marths in top 8: PPMD and M2K
  • Top 3 Melee had only one Fox and not even one Marth
  • Top 8 also had a Pikachu, an Ice Climbers, Sheik, Peach and Jigglypuff
Also the music.. really? If that's your excuse for not liking Melee, I don't know why you read this in the first place.

PS: If you have trouble getting Melee, you can always download an emulator and play there. I don't think this is a huge barrier especially when the scene is growing... after over a decade.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
"Melee is an old game, it should die."

Baseball is an older game, it should die.
More than five people are viable in baseball, though, and it doesn't cost your rent money to get into.

FOOTBALL, though... Nothing redeeming about that. If any sport needs to die, it's (American) Football.

You claim that you watched EVO 2014 but your post says otherwise:

• There were only 2 Foxes on top 8: Silent Wolf and Mang0.
  • There were only 2 Marths on top 8: PPMD and M2K
  • Top 3 Melee had only one Fox and not even one Marth
  • Top 8 also had a Pikachu, an Ice Climbers, Sheik, Peach and Jigglypuff
Axe's Pikachu was the only high point I noticed. Everything else just bored me too much to really pay attention.

Also, there was a lot more to the tournament than the Top 8...

(And Gourmet Race can really grind on your nerves after a while.)

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Armada's Peach/YL and Hungrybox's Jigglypuff were rare exceptions.
Your use of the term "rare" has convinced me that you don't keep up with Melee's scene.
Nearly everyone who breaks the "Fox and Marth" rule, like a couple of Samuses, a Dr. Mario, a Captain Falcon, and, of course, Amsa's Yoshi... Guess which characters they all lost to.
Guys like Plup, Shroomed, S2J, and aMSa all secured their placings as some of the best in the world by beating other Fox's and Marth's. The people they mostly lose to are the top ten players, and you're blaming Fox and Marth for that? This also leads me to believe that you don't keep up with Melee's scene.
I honestly can't think of any design flaws it has other than its complete and utter mangling of Lucario and the continued presence of L-canceling instead of autocanceling - which is a problem I have with Melee anyway - so I don't know what you're talking about. Unless you count character and stage viability as a "flaw", which I have heard people argue before.
I don't know if "design" is the proper term to use because I don't know the difference between design and development, but the PMDT has made some pretty bad choices in their design. Look up Leffen's views on the matter, he makes a lot of the argument clear.
And Nintendo needs to get of their high horse with the copyright thing. Scratch that – modern copyright law as a whole needs to get off its high horse.
I don't know what you mean by this.

Seriously, Mitt Romney is more open to new people coming in than the Melee community.
Used Gamecubes are a dime a dozen, as are used Wiis. Gamecube controllers have been in continuous production for a long time, and a new wave of them has been massed produced just in the past year. Used copy of the game can be found all over the internet and hacked Wiis and emulators exist too.

Most expensive used copy of Melee on Ebay (disk only, doesn't matter): $41.
Refurbished Gamecube from Gamestop: $20.
New Smash controller from Gamestop: $30.
CRT tv: absolutely nothing.
Totals to ~$90.

Refurbished WiiU 32gb from Gamestop: $260.
Preowned Smash WiiU from Gamestop: $55.
Gamecube adapter for WiiU from Gamestop: $20.
There's a huge range on flatscreen tv's plus you can play it on a CRT: absolutely nothing.
Totals to ~$365.

This is as cheap as I got but I basically just looked on Gamestop, so if you can argue against this I wouldn't be surprised.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
More than five people are viable in baseball, though, and it doesn't cost your rent money to get into.
Last i checked there are upwards of 14 characters that tournament players would associate with the term "viable", including yoshi.

Getting a melee set-up costs MAXIMUM $170. A gamecube is less than $30-40, as is a controller. A wii is less than double that. The biggest cost is the disc, and it can be reduced to $0 by being a pirate and USB loading 20xx. The peripherals and consoles are extremely common.

A setup is only required if you wish to practice at home. There are a LOT of players that only get their practice at local events where set-ups are in abundance. You're grossly exaggerating the costs here, and even if you're not, you realize far more than that can be spent over one's career in venue and tournament fees, right? Even if you're just trying to play it and not go to tournaments, you realize that the amount of hobbys one can invest money into is most likely going to still cost hundreds of dollars right?

FOOTBALL, though... Nothing redeeming about that. If any sport needs to die, it's (American) Football.
100% agreed. I think it's still fun to watch but the scandals and community have left a bad taste in my mouth that cannot be erased.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Your use of the term "rare" has convinced me that you don't keep up with Melee's scene.

Guys like Plup, Shroomed, S2J, and aMSa all secured their placings as some of the best in the world by beating other Fox's and Marth's. The people they mostly lose to are the top ten players, and you're blaming Fox and Marth for that? This also leads me to believe that you don't keep up with Melee's scene.

I don't know if "design" is the proper term to use because I don't know the difference between design and development, but the PMDT has made some pretty bad choices in their design. Look up Leffen's views on the matter, he makes a lot of the argument clear.

I don't know what you mean by this.

Used Gamecubes are a dime a dozen, as are used Wiis. Gamecube controllers have been in continuous production for a long time, and a new wave of them has been massed produced just in the past year. Used copy of the game can be found all over the internet and hacked Wiis and emulators exist too.

Most expensive used copy of Melee on Ebay (disk only, doesn't matter): $41.
Refurbished Gamecube from Gamestop: $20.
CRT tv: absolutely nothing.
Totals to ~$90.

Refurbished WiiU 32gb from Gamestop: $260.
Preowned Smash WiiU from Gamestop: $55.
Gamecube adapter for WiiU from Gamestop: $20.
There's a huge range on flatscreen tv's plus you can play it on a CRT: absolutely nothing.
Totals to ~$365.

This is as cheap as I got but I basically just looked on Gamestop, so if you can argue against this I wouldn't be surprised.
Where'd you find it for just forty bucks? The cheapest I saw when I was curious about the current price was $170...

Flubz

Smash Rookie
Where'd you find it for just forty bucks? The cheapest I saw when I was curious about the current price was $170...
$170 is like for a new copy... Used ones in working condition cost about $60-80.

I live in Portland, and we have Craigslist. I found a free CRT located just about 10 mins from my house within 15 minutes of browsing the website, and I picked it up within the hour.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Don't pay attention to what I'm sayjng... I'm incredibly sleepy and stressed, taking it out in what doesnt matter.

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
Sold out...
Ahh well, I wouldn't make it to finals anyways, but I would still like to spectate them.
Maybe next year, or if there are more passes sold later!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
$1000 says Melee streams will be far greater than all of the other streams. $500 says Smash Wii U will win 2nd place in most viewed stream of EVO 2015.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
You guys have really thin skin.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
Awww yiss, I got my hotel booked first thing after they announced Melee. Who else is going? I'd love to meet new friends and hang out. hmu :3

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Don't pay attention to what I'm sayjng... I'm incredibly sleepy and stressed, taking it out in what doesnt matter.
No Johns >:\

But seriously, I found the $40 copy on Ebay. It's the disk only, says it has a few scratches but still works fine.
It's not $170, it's not $40 either, it's +$60.
But the real question is where do you get free CTR TVs
Check Craigslist. People there want to get rid of their CRT's sometimes because they have fancy new flatscreens and whatnot. Also if you go to garage sales or rummage sales, you can usually find them for >$10, and can usually even bargain with them to bring it down to ~$1 or even free.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Sorry buddy but I heavily disagree with your post; while PM is indeed an
amazing mod game it won't be featured at EVO and it wasn't featured in Apex for legal reasons, I know it sucks but that's the way it is and we can't do anything about it. Now calling Melee "horrendously balanced" when almost half of the cast is viable is a very ignorant idea: I bet you didn't watch Apex top 8 because there were 6 different characters up there. Finally saying that the metagame has been stale for years ago is completely false: again let's look back at Apex 2015 where we can clearly see a character that was never in top 8 before (Yoshi) and even the play styles of older characters like Fox are evolving constantly. I heavily encourage you to watch Melee before making this baseless criticisms (:

Btw what does PM have to do with this? It isn't even at EVO lmao.
I'm a huge ran of melee but you have to admit the game has very apparent balancing issues. Also there are only 7 viable characters who win money in tournaments.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
Apparently PM has some balance issues too. The PM boards complain about broken Fox is in 3.5, and how literally broken Olimar and ICs are.

Mango says tier lists matter less at top level. I mean, a B tier (as of 2013) made top 5 at Apex 2015 so....

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh really?

I think saying that Melee and Smash 4 are in a war is a clear evidence that some people hate the fact that Melee is successful.
Dude, chill the heck out.

From your post there's clear evidence that some people are insecure about their love for Melee. There's also clear evidence that some people like to start flame wars when there weren't any flames.

Lemme spell it out for you... did you know that competition can be FRIENDLY and doesn't have to be centered on hate...? Just because he wanted Smash 4 to mobilize doesn't mean he hates Melee... seriously man?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

The image I have of the reactions of anyone who mentions that Smash 4 is better than Melee, vice versa, that the SSBM meta game is stagnant, that SSB4 doesn't have a meta game, or that PM is not a real Smash game.

Seriously, tho folks. 1000 is an amazing number. But let's push for higher.

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
That's because it really shouldn't be anymore. I mean, everything Melee has above 4, PM improves on anyway. There's really no need to cling onto that horrendously unbalanced relic anymore. It's incredibly boring to watch because its metagame stagnated years ago.

Seriously, just play PM.
Lol you could be the only guy playing P.M. at Evo

Last edited:

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
I hope both melee and sm4sh do very well. Being an avid melee supporter/ watcher and a sm4sh player , I really hope that sm4sh grows and melee keeps me entertained. That's what sm4sh needs right now imo. People that are fun to watch. The game is new, yes. But the big players aren't telling massive stories yet. Did we see any 1000 dollar money matches or a disrespectful 5-0 on stream for sm4sh? Sadly, no. But the game is good. It can have melee hype. Sm4sh players need to know that it's ok this game isn't melee, but it's not a waste playing or watching melee. Melee is what started all this hype for us, and I'll be damned to see communities bicker on which game is better. Cheers.

Morbi

Scavenger
It is really exciting to see records being broken, after records being broken, after records being broken. I sound like a broken record myself. :)

Well, I suppose I am getting ahead of myself. Soon.

GameFreak164X

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameFreak164X
3DS FC
3308-4878-1702
PM can't be shown for legal reasons, though; and Melee's endured this long in the scene, so suddenly removing it from high-level play just because "hey new game" is being as biased as the people who cry about Smash 4 not being "Melee 2.0" and hating it for that alone.

Melee is old, yes, but it would have never lived as long as it has without being considered important. Hell, if it weren't for Melee, Smash 4 would never have been considered for tournament play. Melee is what got Smash to the competetive scene, really, so it has the most significance of the entire franchise in that respect.

Melee is what turned Smash from a casual game into a full, competetively-viable series. Saying it has no relevance is like saying that Super Mario 64 has no relevance because of Super Mario 3D World; the latter would have never existed (in Smash's case, competetively) without the former.
It's because of Melee that we got stuff like Project M, it's because of Melee that competetive Smash is as known as it is. Without Melee being at stuff like MLG, Evo or Apex, do you really think anybody in the fighting scene would bother looking into Smash 4 competetively? Without Melee's ginormous impact, this scene would be far, far less developed than it is.

Age doesn't matter for games; if it did, people should be forgeting that Melee even existed and just stop doing anything in relation to it. But they don't, and that's good. Melee's old, yes; but is age really the deciding factor of kicking a popular game out? If anything, the two scenes are so different that it's actually good to see both Melee and 4 side-by-side.

But if 4 wants to replace Melee, it's going to need to be as impactful as Melee was; and that's a fantasy that's far off. Melee changed the way people looked at Smash, and 4 doesn't.

If what should be used is age-based, than from 2008 to 2014, there should have only been Brawl tournaments, since Melee was so old, so archaic and so irrelevant, eh? No, because Brawl wasn't viable. Smash 4 is just starting to grow, and it's nothing like Melee.

Saying one community needs to die because another is more recent just makes you come off as a massive donkey to the community you say needs to die.
I'm a Smash 4 player, and even I totally agree with what this guy is saying. Now can we stop accept that Smash 4 is a different Smash game and try to discover what's unique about cool about it. We will probably have Melee forever (assuming we don't run out of CRTs and overpriced copies of Melee), but now is the time where we can indulge in Smash 4's meta and get to know what makes it cool.

Top Bottom