• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everything Zamus - Combos/Techniques/Approach

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
No one really approached a thread like this, and alot of new comers to the game could use the help of an organized list of things to know, along with people interested in picking her up. So, I present the everything Zamus thread, where you will learn exactly what you think you need to know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMBOS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

≈ The most popular combo that seems easy enough to learn is dsmash -> dsmash -> Up-B -> dsmash. You can follow it up with most airs and forward b, though I've found a nair -> fair at low percentages of the combo is best. This combo is more often referred to as "Pillaring".

≈ The second combo that is more popular and easy is the Uair juggling combo. If you have good timing and DI chase then you can land multiple Uairs in succession, followed by Up-b to Dsmash O_^.

≈ Neutral B -> Dash -> Utilt -> Uair is also a decent combo if landed. It is situational to DI, and the Utilt can be replaced with a Dtilt at most times giving better damage and less DI ability from the opponent.

≈ If you are playing a taller character you can use a Fair -> Ftitlt -> Dash, followed by more combo techs while the opponent is at low percentages.

≈ I'm staying up at least one hour a day messing with ZSS, I will gradually come across cool combos and post them here, currently I'm trying to find horizontal combos for approach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Techniques
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

≈ The first thing that no one else seems to have realized is the SH Double Bair. At the beginning of your jump animation press "Y" and "A" almost simultaneously to produce to back airs in one shorthop, which is amazing for most situations you can't approach due to range. * I'm sorry, people have realized this, just aren't utilizing it *

≈ Zamus has the ability to dash and turnaround at the edge, ledgehogging immediately afterwards. This is the best way to kill someone after they use their UpB recovery and couldn't make it back to the stage.

≈ Down B gives you invincibility frames out the wahzoo, meaning it's great for recovery if used right, great for dodging mid grabs or attacks with lag and punishing with its extending attack ability. You can also jump off of a wall with it, though pretty useless so far.

≈ Not really important, but on most stages ZSS can make it all the way under the stage using Down B and Jump to Up B, including Battlefield.

≈ Blaster spam, it works and has two different timings on it, meaning you don't have to worry about mixing it up, it comes auto with ZSS ^.^ Once blasted you can take advantage of the stun in so many ways it's not funny.

≈ Ledgehop full blast, when you pop up from the ledge immediately start charging your blast and you will land a full shot and still grab the ledge. This is one of the most important techniques, considering you have a very limited arsinal for recovery and most people will be able to titl or smash you straight out of recovery with the small range of her hitbox afterwards.

*Side note, ledgehop Forward-B is also (probably a better) approach to removing ledge pressure, as submitted by ph00tbag *

≈ Techniques are hard to come across, but when I do I make sure they are playable. I will be updating this list as frequently as I can.

Approach

≈ This is considerably the hardest part for Zero Suit. Her speed is advantageous, but in higher levels of play, people will shield your dash attack almost always, and your Dtilt may not come out quick enough afterwards. You also have to worry about projectile spam, since your spam will not be fast enough to compete with most others. Your Forward B gets good range, but don't over use it, it is extremely punishable and hard to land at first. You must play defensively in order to land most of your good combos and moves. Your Dsmash is vital in spam wars, because characters can get caught in punishable states from there own moves. Blaster spam from ledge is important, but beware of edgeguards, it's easy to do against ZSS.

≈ I'm sure you've noticed the samus parts laying around at the beginning of the match. Learn to Shield Dash Throw them, it makes the first 30-45% of the first stock alot easier, and can KO if used right. It's also great for a first approach, and if you know how to combo could result in a 1 stock lead.

Well, I will be updating this list alot, and it would be extremely appreaciated if anyone could donate their findings to the thread. I'm extremely interested in opening up Zamus, for she is imo one of the most interesting chracters with too much to look past. Thank you in advance!

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thank you for these. I only knew a couple of Zero Suit Samus combos before. Now I can practice these new ones.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
utilt -> uair should never work, neither should Plasma Wire -> dsmash, neither should a uair chain, and neither should any of the combos you're talking about. SH double bair is a given that "no one's realized" because it's not really that useful as an approach. Your second technique is a universal tech, called "hugging" by most. Flip Jump has very, very few invincibility frames, and is really only used for recovery, and occasionally, to make for a somewhat surprising counter against an opponent who is approaching from above. Paralyzer is only so good, and has piss poor range, even on the full charge, which, by the way, takes a veeeeery long time to charge up. Finally, try to follow up a full charge paralyzer from the ledge when you have ledgegrab lag. A much better tech from the ledge is Plasma Whip, to ledge grab, because it actually gets rid of ledge pressure.

I'm sorry, but you're something like the fifth person to come into this board after five hours in Training Mode telling people about how good ZSS is, talking about things that most ZSS mains have decided don't work. Most people who spend time on this forum will admit that there is very little in the way of a ZSS guide here, but that's primarily because the game hasn't settled yet. So stop trying to do us a favor, and we'll get around to it eventually.

ZSS mains are going to start getting a reputation for being bitter and unfriendly, aren't we? *sigh*

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I feel your pain ph00tbag.

Yes, you are just like them.

>>>>>http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155874<<<<< This is the guide thread. You post here.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143779 The Great Leon's very much appreciated ZSS thread from when Brawl was first released in Japan.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164794 Very noob guide thread. Could have been a lot better.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164314 Personal synopsis thread. Fail.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157088 Personal synopsis thread. Fail.

Edit: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4392931 Personal synopsis thread. Fail.

Newly added: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168162 Mostly noob technique guide.
Added to the list.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Dash Attack, U-tilt...the most consistent ZZS combo, discounting D-smash, D-smash, anything.

U-air can sometimes be followed up by a Up-B, if the enemy is at a certain percent. Rarely will double U-air work, but it's possible.

ZSS has a lot of solid moves that are about as combo friendly as it gets in Brawl. Unfortunately, in Brawl, combos are less effective in general.

As for writing a guide, I'd suggest go big or go home, or you'll get remarks similar to the ones above this post.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah...I just figured out that none of those work.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
EDIT::

Decided post was too harsh and had unneeded agressiveness. Anyways, I'll post videos to prove the combos for everyone. And ph00tbag is right about the ledgepressure.

Kawaii Bunny, what problems are you having? I'll go ahead and post some videos, I'm already thinking you aren't DIing the right way.

Everything I have already is backed up with my vids, I record almost every match I do, so I'll get some editing done (we record in blocks of 1 hour) and post some vids for you guys. Sorry about your poor opinion towards new player assitance ph00tbag.

teh_w0lf

Smash Cadet
utilt -> uair should never work, neither should Plasma Wire -> dsmash, neither should a uair chain, and neither should any of the combos you're talking about. SH double bair is a given that "no one's realized" because it's not really that useful as an approach. Your second technique is a universal tech, called "hugging" by most. Flip Jump has very, very few invincibility frames, and is really only used for recovery, and occasionally, to make for a somewhat surprising counter against an opponent who is approaching from above. Paralyzer is only so good, and has piss poor range, even on the full charge, which, by the way, takes a veeeeery long time to charge up. Finally, try to follow up a full charge paralyzer from the ledge when you have ledgegrab lag. A much better tech from the ledge is Plasma Whip, to ledge grab, because it actually gets rid of ledge pressure.

I'm sorry, but you're something like the fifth person to come into this board after five hours in Training Mode telling people about how good ZSS is, talking about things that most ZSS mains have decided don't work. Most people who spend time on this forum will admit that there is very little in the way of a ZSS guide here, but that's primarily because the game hasn't settled yet. So stop trying to do us a favor, and we'll get around to it eventually.

ZSS mains are going to start getting a reputation for being bitter and unfriendly, aren't we? *sigh*
no joke man

Smash Journeyman
All of these combos work, he does them to me all the time. If you do it right you can air dodge out of stuff, but for the most part they are effective.

SH Double Back airs are good to.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
All of these combos work, he does them to me all the time. If you do it right you can air dodge out of stuff, but for the most part they are effective.

You must be horrible at timing air dodges.

Oh yeah and it's called a Glide Toss, not a "Shield Dash Throw." If you intend on this being for newb players at least use appropriate terminology so they don't get their faces wrecked for sounding stupid.

teh_w0lf

Smash Cadet

I speak from experience when I say that if you play this guy even vaguely regularly you should be able to airdodge EVERYTHING he throws at you...I can usually pull a combo three times before it gets read and never works again...keeps the game fresh at least

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Very sorry delicious. I pronounce this thread dead, considering my attempt was obviously thwarted.

Thought I had a good idea with good intentions, I was wrong, sorry guys. And btw, air dodging is punishable just as much as not. If you were any good with ZSS, you'd realize it is about timing. Reading other people's moves are important as well, so if you anticipate a tech, then you tech chase and it is still a combo. So, if someone air dodges anticipating your Uair, then you time it to after the air dodge and punish it. Pretty simple.

Peace out.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I'm plenty good with ZSS, it's just my opponents are actually good enough that they can react and not just read. It does me no good to just sit and wait for them to air-dodge.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If you really want to know my attitude towards helping new ZSS users, you should go look at the posts that I make in the threads where people actually request help. I help people that want it, for sure. You obviously think you're hot **** and don't need help. Despite this, I'm helping you, too by telling you to get over yourself, because honestly, you're not saying anything that hasn't already been said and debunked several times over. So really, I do a lot of service to new players by debunking misinformation, giving advice, and generally being supportive of people who want to play the character to her greatest effectiveness.

You come in here, backed up by your friend, who doesn't know how to DI or when to shield/airdodge, spreading misinformation that was debunked within a few weeks of the game's release. Now tell me, what is more helpful, you insisting that your loaded game of rock-paper-scissors works on everyone, or me trying to help people think of effective ways of punishing our opponents' mistakes that doesn't depend on our opponent messing up again?

If you don't want to listen to what I'm saying because you think I'm a jerk, that's fine. You can listen to Cake. He's saying the exact same thing I'm saying, and he's just as right as I am.

Sorry if this is late, but I'll not have people saying I'm unhelpful despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
If you really want to know my attitude towards helping new ZSS users, you should go look at the posts that I make in the threads where people actually request help. I help people that want it, for sure. You obviously think you're hot **** and don't need help. Despite this, I'm helping you, too by telling you to get over yourself, because honestly, you're not saying anything that hasn't already been said and debunked several times over. So really, I do a lot of service to new players by debunking misinformation, giving advice, and generally being supportive of people who want to play the character to her greatest effectiveness.

You come in here, backed up by your friend, who doesn't know how to DI or when to shield/airdodge, spreading misinformation that was debunked within a few weeks of the game's release. Now tell me, what is more helpful, you insisting that your loaded game of rock-paper-scissors works on everyone, or me trying to help people think of effective ways of punishing our opponents' mistakes that doesn't depend on our opponent messing up again?

If you don't want to listen to what I'm saying because you think I'm a jerk, that's fine. You can listen to Cake. He's saying the exact same thing I'm saying, and he's just as right as I am.

Sorry if this is late, but I'll not have people saying I'm unhelpful despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary.
Sir, I posted about the ledge help and stuff, which obviously donates to the idea that I think you know what you're doing with Zamus. I don't think I'm better then most people, I was merely trying to be helpful, and I don't think you are unhelpful, if anything I believe you would be a contributor.

The only thing I said to you was that you should watch your tone. Same reason I hate Qwest customer service. Now, like before said, let's stop arguing on the boards. A fluked attempt, sorry, won't happen again. I didn't have any intentions of setting off the ZSS boards, just interest in helping people out.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman

Edited, so i wouldnt seem like a ******.

Sumtime

Smash Cadet
Wow you guys gave him unnecessary flames. I'm sorry, he nowhere stated he was better than any one else. And despite your rudeness he kept politely responding.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
They weren't meaning to flame. I actually went through the posts and stuff, I guess alot of people have EXTREMELY overstated what I have.

The techniques listed just aren't as useful as it sounds on paper.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Wow you guys gave him unnecessary flames. I'm sorry, he nowhere stated he was better than any one else. And despite your rudeness he kept politely responding.
Unfortunately, you were not one to witness Meow's original reaction to us:
Listen, I understand being cool is fashionable in the mind of most people. But you are wrong. I'll post vids, and then when none of these combos work you can laugh at me and tell me about my failures. I'm not trying to do people like you a favor, I'm trying to make it easier to walk into ZSS. And I don't believe I ever said FB -> Dsmash, but if I did, I'm sorry, that's retarted. And secondly, it's amazing to approach with Double back airs, considering I've never seen someone use it other then me and it doesn't fail. Of course, like I said, I'll post some vids and show you what's up.

So, in other words, unless you back your stuff up with some evidence:

Go spread your unwanted opinions (hopefully in a nicer manner) elsewhere.
Kindly enough, unless you have a very in-depth guide of how to use ZSS, please refrain from making a new thread and post in the guide thread.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
I actually removed it, thank you ^_^ You should edit your post however, I did correct that you didn't flame, and that does look rather bad (hence the editing)

Also, why did you hold on to that? XD

fkacyan

Smash Hero
all these combos work, i play darkmeow daily, we have video footage of all of them. my toon link is the best, hands down, who wants some? lolzzzz. but DM, post this in the other zamus thread that already exists....
I trust DeliciousCake because there is SamusxZelda with implied Peach jealousy. AKA, epic win in a signature.

You, however, are a moron.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
all these combos work, i play darkmeow daily, we have video footage of all of them. my toon link is the best, hands down, who wants some? lolzzzz. but DM, post this in the other zamus thread that already exists....
Show me some footage and maybe I'll consider that you have an okay TL.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This stuff is actually already "backed up" by vids. Go look at Claw's videos from a few months back. There's a reason people know this stuff doesn't work: They've been doing it for longer than you.

Speaking of TheClaw, we've seen nothing of him lately. Has he stopped playing Zamus?

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Well, I see what you guys were talking about earlier. The Uair juggling doesn't work that well after people get used to it, it's too easy to DI and airdodge out of. The combos do have faulty.

But that does leave me with one huge gap of a question. Without combos, approach, or anything of the sort, how is ZSS even considered a character? I haven't seen anyone list any good combos that have been "verified", other then SNAKE!, in which he posted some of the same combos as me :dizzy:

Also, I would like to say C*NT is probably the best Toon Link right now. Ask some of the best players in the Texas area, they will back him up.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Well at least one of the combo's he posted works, i think...

The Dsmash> Dsmash > U-B> Dsmash seems to work. I dunno how he he does it, but i Dmash x2 walk a next to them U-B, knocks em straight up and pulls them back down... unless they're at under 30ish.

OR they could be massive ****ing scrubs and i'll either find out the hard way that you can DI out at the top or someone here will tell me :p.

BIG ****ING EDIT : Nevermind >.> it's DI'able. Don't even bother answering me.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
You can usually pull it off once per person. If you do it once, pull them down, down smash and then grab and lead into an aerial combo it tends to work pretty nicely. But yeah, you can't just keep doing it over and over.

daemonk

Smash Cadet
Not really a combo, but dash + two jabs pretty much always works. Good for that extra damage at higher damage when you can't do the up tilt.

Adapt

Smash Lord
another good use for up-B: uair>up-B>another aerial
it works on a number of characters at low-mid percentages, but I'm not saying its an inescapable combo or anything

just last night i was playing my friend (lucas) and i managed to pull off a ~60% combo n-B>dash>utilt>uair>up-B>uair>up-B>uair.
We immediately quit, but we were over the 3 min limit and I couldn't save the replay

Top Bottom