• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

AznSizzle

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'd love to get some advice for this match recorded of me during show me your moves.
I'm not sure if I'm playing the fox matchup completely correct and could use some more combo knowledge at low percents against falcon.

But any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

FlashG

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlakeKustard
Hey guys, I'd love to get some advice for this match recorded of me during show me your moves.
I'm not sure if I'm playing the fox matchup completely correct and could use some more combo knowledge at low percents against falcon.

But any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I like your Marth! Your edgegaurding vs fox was really good.Those dairs 0.0

In your matches vs fox I think you should have been playing the neutral game more carefully. A lot of the time you seemed like you were just running in with balls out aggression and getting punished for it. This doesn't necessarily mean you should play super passive or anything, but you should put a little more thought into how and when you're approaching.

I'd like to see more attempts at chaingrabs from you especially when fox is at really low percents. More grabs in general would be pretty good.

While your general movement is actually pretty good, I think you should do a little work on your dash dance. Marth has a very long dash animation which allows him to cover a lot of ground. Go to FD and dash back and forth with Marth's full dash animation to see what I mean. After you've got that down try to dash dance across the stage with a long dash forward and a short dash back without leaving the dash animation. Do this a million times over and your dash dancing will be sick!

As far as Marth vs Falcon goes, I don't claim to be an expert but this is how I see it. Marth has a really hard time getting more than a couple of hits in a row on Falcon until he's around 50%. Falcon however, can destroy you all day off of a grab at pretty much any %. I think the best way to deal with this is to play that first 50% really patient. Get as many safe stray hits as you can with down tilts and tippered fairs, and if you can get a grab, dthrow tech chases destroy falcon. Once you get that first 50% you should be a little more comfortable. Uthrow -> Utilt -> practically anything, preferably Uair.

Also, Falcon is trash off stage. If you can get him off stage, a stock can be as easy as just throwing out a Dtilt.

FlashG

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlakeKustard
I'm Based Dog tell me what you think at the beginning of the video the think im black marth but im blue :p
Your spacing could use some work, instead of me trying to explain, you should just look up ssbm spacing tutorial on youtube, it's on HMW's channel, TheWaffle77

I think a stronger ground game could really help your Marth ditto. Poking with running dtilt and throwing in a dash attack or two could really gain you a lot of mileage.

You also need to move more. Work on your dash dance, move around a lot, and keep your opponent guessing.

When you're recovering you seem to use side-b a lot when there is no need to, for instance, when you're about to land from being above the stage, or right before you grab ledge. Doing this can be really risky and get you punished.

In these two games, it seemed like most of the time you were DIing your opponent's Fthrow towards him, which can lead to another grab or even an Fsmash. Make sure you DI away in this situation.

I don't think you grab enough. You should abuse Marth's amazing grab just like your opponent did.

Finally, you had a few questionable Fsmashes that probably shouldn't have been there. If you go for an Fsmash you need to KNOW it's going to hit because whiffed Fsmash is so stupidly easy to punish. Just be careful when throwing those out :D

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
http://www.twitch.tv/houstongameguys/b/579481353
at 02:07:38
i don't understand falco
i messed up edgeguards
i still don't understand falco

i feel like i stopped improving, or even got worse. i'm tired of losing.
plz help. what did i do wrong?
CRAW ITS YOU ITS ME SWORD :D On another note XD I noticed a couple of things. So, first off, whenever Falco is recovering with his up b, and is not far away and you have enough time to get to him, its a free edgeguard. I noticed that you would just stand on the stage while Falco was just a jump fair away from you :p Try practicing powershielding, that just makes the matchup MUCH better for Marth in general. Dthrow to turnaround dtilt at the edge ***** Falco/Fox. Also, I noticed that you really weren't approaching very much, and you let him mow over you with lasers into laser follow ups. Of course, yet again powershielding will help you, but approaching more wouldn't hurt either :p For Falco, I like dtilt into grab into uthrow into dthrow into usually fsmash as like a little approach into combo type thing. Hope this helped :D

EDIT: After I rewatched, I noticed that you were really getting punished hard for your approaches, be a bit more aware of how you can be punished with your approach. For Falco, I like spaced dtilts for approaches. Or grabs cuz marf grab = :teeth:

Last edited:

FlashG

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlakeKustard
i don't understand falco
i messed up edgeguards

Hey Crawfish. You know my marth pretty well so take this advice with as many grains of salt as required :D

First off, I think you jumped a little too much in this set at times. Remember that jumping is a commitment, and you have many less options in the air than you do on the ground. I feel like this is a mistake a TON of marths make at times, including myself. That's not to say you shouldn't jump against Falco, in fact that is one of the easiest ways to get away from lasers; my point is that you should be very aware of when you jump and how you have less options.

WD OoS is super good against falco's laser approaches, especially when he's going for a Dair, and can lead to grabs. You can also use it to move around a little more between lasers, however that's not as easy as simply wavedashing once and seeing falco completely whiff a Dair. It's also a pretty precise timing, but it is possible to grab falco if he shines on your shield which can be very useful.

One thing that could really pay off for you is some time in the lab working on your chaingrabs and chaingrab setups for Fsmash. Go watch any M2K Marth vs Falco game and try to copy what he does when he gets a grab, then practice it a million times :D Having better chaingrabs will lead to more wins, simple as that.

In Game 2 you had a really nice platform combo that hit falco for 45%. utilizing platforms like this is excellent for racking up damage. Try to go for this more often.

In game 1 you got really hungry for his stock and started throwing out some questionable Fsmashes. Many of them on his shield. Not really too much to say here, just try to stay disciplined in moments like this.

Finally, we get to the most important bit. If you take anything from this post take this: You need better edgegaurds vs falco. Most of the time in this set you let Falco back to the stage for free. Remember that falco's firebird doesn't actually hurt you until he blasts off, so you have a lot less to worry about when you go offstage. If you know you have time during his up b charge, jump out there and hit him with an untippered fair or a bair, or even a dair if you think you can hit it. Once again, go watch an M2K game. His edgegaurds vs spacies are just incredible, and a lot of the time they are easy to emulate. An offstage Falco is a dead Falco.

I hope this helps you out man, maybe we can work on this match up next time I see you, god knows I need help in it too :D

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
i know i messed up the edgeguards! that's what happens when you have no one to play with! you forget easy simple basic toddler knowledge like that! grrr!

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
i know i messed up the edgeguards! that's what happens when you have no one to play with! you forget easy simple basic toddler knowledge like that! grrr!
As Reggie once said... "No Johns" ;P But yeah, even if you don't have anyone to play with you can still practice edge guarding. I have to learn everything by myself as I live out in the Rural Part of NC where there is no one to play, and I can confirm that the 20XX hack pack is godlike for practicing well... everything really XD From power shielding to shield pressure to help you learn better approach options, everything. I recommend you install it if you haven't already, it is a HUGE help.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
i don't understand falco
i messed up edgeguards

Basics of Falco edgeguarding- Don't commit to any long moves until their jump/side-B is gone. Long moves can be baited out/airdodged through if you just threw 'em off the stage. If they're coming back from high from a high % fsmash, jump once to follow their height so that you're falling in front of them. React to a side-B with Fair. Basically, you don't want them to get past you/over your head.
Once you've hit them out of a jump/side-B, most likely, their only option left is up-B. Since you know that's the only thing they can do, you don't even have to react to the start-up animation. Go out there and edgeguard as soon as you get the quick hit. Mew2King fairs, I reverse up-B. If they fell too close to the stage and the spacing is awkward because they'd be behind you if you ran off, I still run-off but I side-B behind me instead. Repeat first part of dancing blade and come back whenever you want.
2:08:05- You get a grab, up-throw, and try to turn it into an uptilt combo at 18%. Upthrow until late 20's then go for the uptilt so they don't get a chance to land on the ground requiring more reading/reacting.

2:08:11- You dtilt the side-B and then hesitate on the stage. That would have been a good spot to run off fair/up-B/etc.

2:08:15- A high up-B is tricky because they can either go high or low. Dtilt is how you can cover both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRq32RhRULM#t=7m49s
You see if he went low, he would have ate the dtilt and died. Because I picked dtilt, I used the IASA frames to turn around and uptilt when I saw he picked high. Because uptilt either sends them straight up or behind you, you have to face the center of the stage when you uptilt. Otherwise, it'll send them back to the center of the stage. If it sends them behind you, great you now have a DAIR set-up or an easy edgeguard. If they're stubborn and choose to DI so it'll repeatedly send them up, BAIR them away from the stage.

2:08:28- I would have grabbed the edge as soon as I saw the nair hit. You can always ledgehop bair onto the stage/away from the stage if you're unsure if they can up-B/side-B back on.

2:08:40- Even if you're chasing them around/psyching them out, try to keep center stage.

2:09:59- The wavedash out of shield where the Falco nair past you and was now at the corner. That was a great spot to be in because you were out of his max range and could react if he tried to close the distance. Perhaps you were panicked, but you let him have center stage back by running to the other platform so he could now pick when he wanted to approach and cover himself with some lasers.

2:10:08- Pay attention to your opponent's percents so you know when to tech-chase and when to go for another hit.

2:10:50- When you punish someone above a platform, try not to come above yourself so you're still in a great position to harass should you miss/they tech through the hit.

2:10:58- Falco's don't really attack from that direction so the advancing fair off the platform was weird.

2:11:06- A far off-stage up-B. It looks like you did a late f-smash, either you timed it for a non-fast-falled recovery and he fast-falled and tripped you up, or you underestimated the amount of frames before the fsmash hitbox comes out. Either way, when they have more than one option to recover(fast-fall/not fastfall), you generally put all your eggs in one basket with an fsmash. I would have Faired then instantly jabbed. At the very least, ftilt is nicer than fsmash in this situation because of its swing upwards, while fsmash swings downwards, making it more likely to hit. It's not about how far you can send them off while they still have options, it's about limiting their options then going for the finish when you know there's one left.

2:11:23- Lawl, free edge.

2:11:30- Full hops are generally bad with Marth, unless you're comboing. Retreat with SH fair OOS or wavedash/roll.

2:11:40- Right idea, covering both, but ftilt was too laggy, leaving you hitting with the last part of uptilt and sending him the wrong way.

2:11:49- Risky poke because if you didn't hit with the DAIR, you were in the corner.

2:12:02- Nice string of grabs. First one however, you threw him towards the center of the stage, where he could have teched anywhere giving you more options to read. I only throw them forward if they're under 5%, otherwise, I'm going for upthrow to chaingrab/platform harassment.

2:12:16- Came above the platform again. Even if they weren't at early percents, comboing off a full-hop is awkward.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
0:29- Lawl, whenever your opponent is facing you, you don't need to up-B early because they're not going to edgehog you. Sweetspot that edge unless you see them turn around to edgehog.

0:34- You get the dtilt, and then proceed to wavedash away and then dash dance far outside of his range. You want to dash dance in and out of your opponent's range to react to their spacing/bait out something if you're unsure what to do. Since you got the dtilt off, close up the space and keep harassing since you put your opponent in the corner.
0:36- I think you're overestimating how much time you need to react to something. Those dtilts were quite far and you were in no danger of an unreactable approach.

0:39- Never jump over a Marth dtilting. Try to time it so you get a grab/dash attack in between their dtilts.

1:30- Use your invincibility to regain stage control/push 'em towards the edge. You want to get a punish if they try to dash through you as opposed to trying to hit them when they're dash dancing. Also, when you're dash dancing, you're not really able to put up a wall that will impede any approach your opponent does. Something to keep in mind if you find yourself getting stifled by approaches a lot.

1:34- Just to clarify, the DI on fthrows isn't just away, it's down and away.

1:37- Get used to holding up and towards the stage when you know you're about to be hit and can't do anything about it. IE, when you're in landing up-B lag or you're opponent read your roll. Chances are, you won't need to use your up-B, which is always great. (This doesn't mean never use your up-B when you can grab the edge with your jump. But if the opponent recognizes you need more than a jump to get back to the stage, they've got less reading to do.)

1:49- Little bit of a pause after the downthrow. I don't know if that was a frame issue or if you were waiting to see which way they tech, but if you're going to tech-chase, as soon as your throw animation ends, dash closer to where they're about to tech with a simple foxtrot(flick the stick once and let go of it). That way, if they tech away, you won't waste frames getting to them, making it inescapable so they can't buffer a roll like you're opponent did. If they missed the tech, either dash away and come back in with a grab if they were hoping to get up attack you, or just jab reset them out of your foxtrot with a side-b.

2:17- When you got the grab, you threw them towards the center of the stage. That's a lot of reading to do because they have the entire stage to tech with. You can throw 'em offstage and use Marth's specialty of edgeguarding.
But anyways, after you f-throw'ed them, after the slight pause, you dash towards them and then short-hopped, hoping they were teching in place. The short hop isn't ideal when going for a tech-chase because you are still stuck in the air if they chose a non-stationary option upon hitting the ground.

2:22- Nice mix-up, keeping up the offensive with the uptilt.

2:25- When you're on the edge and your opponent is still outside of your range, refresh your invincibility by letting go of the edge with down or away and jumping back to grab it(I use down so it takes less time to refresh). With the full invincibility, you have less to worry about and can increase your edgehog time or just sit there and react to your opponent being forced to up-B that early(roll on stage -> fsmash or ledgehop dair).

2:55- When in your shield and your opponent is far out of range, wavedash out of shield. If you short-hop, even backwards, it's kinda telegraphed when you're going to land. By wavedashing, you're already grounded and can intercept approaches.

2:56- When you did get hit by the dtilt from being telegraphing your landing point, you shielded. Try to crouch cancel more at early percents, unless you're getting daired to shine by spacies.

2:59- Try to keep your recoveries separate. If you're going to go jump for the edge, use just your jump. If you're going to up-B, it better be at the peak or as you ascend with a jump. Each Marth recovery(jump sweetspot vs up-B sweetspot) requires a specific correct response to be edgeguarded and blending both in one lets your opponent switch gears after missing the jump sweetspot option. That didn't happen here, but something to keep in mind for high play.
Once again, no reason to not sweetspot if you're opponent is facing towards you/in the middle of an animation. Hitting them at such an early percent is also bad because they can CC or a fast-faller can tech and punish before you're even done with your up-B lag.

3:09- Once again, dash dancing too far away. They're not intimidated by it at that range, and when you do it that close to the edge, there's no room to dodge incoming approaches, leaving you to eat whatever comes with a chance to wall it out.

3:42- Nice combo

3:45- Once again, refresh invincibility and hold up and towards the stage if you're about to get hit(unless you except Fox upsmash).

4:26- Get comfortable with what height you need to jump to sweetspot that edge.

4:37- When you get a punish/opening, you tend to pick fsmash. At the percents your opponent is at, go for a bigger punish. Usually starts with grab.

4:45- You can buffer a roll or spot dodge with shield + c-stick if you DI fthrow with down and away.

4:53- Yeah, this guy already read that you go for the edge with DJ's only at first then up-B when you miss.

ItWasAMindgame!

Smash Rookie
Hey there! Hopefully, I'll be able to post some of my gameplay tomorrow if it's streamed, which it should be. So be ready to check that out! I'll put my ref code as "mindgame1" when I post the video on this thread tommorow.

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice

YoloTango

Smash Rookie
Hey ya'll,

I'm in the position of being one of the better players in my region while being incredibly mediocre in the grand scheme of marth players. I need you guys to pinpoint some bad habits in the Falco matchup, which may or may not be being punished by the Falco I am playing against, as a decent interstate Falco is going to be coming to my region in the near future.

Basically, ignore the fact that I'm winning and tell me what bad decisions I'm making.

watch?v=jCB8mqfC kg4 (my post count is too low to link videos lmao)

edit: Apparently my URL was censored for containing the wrong combination of letters lol so you'll have to delete the space, sorry for making you guys jump thru hoops to see my scrubby marth

Last edited:

Meru

Smash Cadet
@ YoloTango YoloTango In neutral you seem to have a habit of going for a lot of unsafe dash attacks (maybe they're missed input dash/WD dtilts, but you never seemed to go for those anyway, which you should, sometimes). You're also caught slipping sometimes and not respecting his shield pressure, getting shined as you try to shieldgrab. Of course nobody will ever do shield pressure without messing up, but you got hit a few times doing this. There also seems to be more fsmashes than needed. get a really crisp WD OOS as well, that'll help approaching/retreating, especially with your excellent PS game. Practice your chaingrabs more often. Sometimes you full jumped at random inappropriate times, which although not really punished, doesn't do much at all for you except put you in the air (obv, a bad position vs falco).
And you should try to get over what I call "personal" discomfort being relatively close to falco, as opposed to a more "real" discomfort. What I mean here is that a lot of people don't like to be near falco, and have personal discomfort there, but for no good reason. That is, you're just as safe being on opposite ends of the stage, as being just outside falco's SHL -> grab range. Being just outside this range, or just close enough to not let him laser, is really important, the latter of which, is something pewpewu seems to be particularly good at. I feel like in these games, this kind of delicate spacing is somewhat mitigated by your opponent's somewhat recklessly aggressive style when approaching.
Speaking of approaching, the successful approaches you do get on him seem to be mostly PS->Grab. Your PS consistency is great, but I feel as though it's somewhat hindering as well, as it seems to be heavily relied on in this way. The other approaches you have, with fair or (more rarely) nair, are not particularly safe, either. This being said, marth "approaches" in neutral are mostly movement baits to trick the opponent into thinking you're vulnerable, when you're not, or space manipulation -> followup (which i didn't see much of from you). One thing that PPMD is a big advocate of, is just taking lasers outside falco grab range, then jabbing.
woops. started to stray from the original request.
sometimes you just stop dash dancing and stay still, try to always be moving fluidly. In one of the games I recall you fulljump->DJ'ing a lot for no real good reason. Some of the punishing moves you put on falco seem to be preemptive as well, as though you're hard-reading in times where you could get the same effect with a guaranteed, reactionary followup.
You tend to show your hand a lot with a lot of whiffed grabs, as well.

mordicon

Smash Cadet
It'd be cool to get some advice on my Marth
reference code : mordicon14741
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxQAW7evD4
This is me against one of the better fox players in the region,
I personally think my combos and edgeguards are lacking and I know Carroll is more dangerous near the edge than me which is why I CP'd to Dreamland (to reduce edge play)
Game 2 and 3 are a lot better than Game 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhs2mJhNpgs
This is me versus the best Sheik in Pittsburgh
I struggle in this MU especially at recovering (I get edgeguarded a lot)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I noticed a lot of missed jump cancelled grabs. Not the biggest thing in the world, but definitely worth cleaning up. The frame discrepancy is noticeable.

You have solid fundamentals and know how the ranges on your moves and how their hitboxes work. So the only advice that I can give you pertains to overall consistency. I noticed that there where a lot of whiffed aerials (particularly fair) that got you in trouble. Either the fairs were thrown out somewhat habitually to cover yourself or just optimistically with an actual low chance of working. Remember that as Marth you are primarily ground-based, so you need to rely on your dash dance and wavedash movement to control space. Sure, big sword hitboxes are nice, but you don't want to spend more time jumping and throwing out aerials than using your ground-based speed. Ultimately, fair is something that you should throw out in neutral when your opponent doesn't have an immediate way of dealing with it (i.e., when he's in shield, or possibly on a platform). Retreating fair can be a decent way of covering frontal assaults as well, since you can opt to either fast fall it or throw out another one if the first whiffs. But moving forward with fair creates a big gap that is quite punishable for most characters.

Basically, I'm saying you should work on ways to improve your aerials use. Also, I recommend d-tilt as an option that you should regularly be using in the neutral. Simply running up and d-tilting is amazingly effective if you know what options you're covering and can react appropriately to your opponent.

Dr4gonBlitz

Smash Cadet
Hey all, I yesterday was the first tournament I've entered in over a month of, mostly, solitary practice. I actually placed well for how stacked my region is. These are some videos of me playing on stream, and I was hoping to get some general advise on both matchups.

Video 1 Dr4gonBlitz (Marth) vs. SomeKenny (Doc): Kenny and I have been training partners in the past and I usually lose to his Doc. I seem to have trouble getting around the pill/jab setups.

Video 2 Dr4gonBlitz (Marth) vs. EikelmannRUS (Gannon): Eikelmann is another player I have played plenty of times before. Hes is one of the best (if not the best) Gannon in our state. I seemed to hold my own pretty well on FD but it fell apart on Battle Field. General Advise Appreciated.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I watched the set against Eikelmann. I noticed that you did a lot of fairs in neutral. That alone is not really terrible vs Ganon, but the real problem was how they were executed, you did a lot of short hop rising fairs while moving forward. Generally, in a matchup that is about spacing, you never want to do aerials while moving forward if you haven't confirmed a hit. MAYBE shffl nair occasionally as a mixup to keep your opponent honest, but the general rule is to do shffls in place or while retreating.

Now that I mention shffling, it occurs to me that you didn't fast fall your aerials much. Since you have the mobility advantage over most characters in the game, Marth is a character that wants to spend as little time in the air possible to utilize his ground speed to the fullest.

In the Ganon matchup, your bread and butter is dash dance grab to uthrow. From here you can either read his jump if he is jump-happy and uair him, after which he will be jumpless and juggling him will be a cake walk. Or if he likes to come down with uair, just space tippered uairs below him from the safety of the ground. Or you can even let him land again and space a grab on his landing and uthrow him some more.

Basically, the key to winning the matchup is to put Ganon above you constantly. On the flipside, you never want to be above Ganon because of the power of his uair/fair/bair. I noticed you did a lot of reckless double jumps, either when recovering or just in neutral for no clear reason, and you got hit out of pretty much all of them.

I saw you do dash dance to sh fair several times, but very little dash dance to grab. As Marth, dash dance grab is your life. Don't forget that. Also, there were at least two or three occasions when Ganon did his wizard kick (down-b) recovery very close to the stage and you just stayed by the ledge and let him up-b. Any time Ganon is offstage, watch him like a hawk and if you see even a pixel of purple, you jump out there and swat him with fair/bair.

Hope this addresses some things that you can work on!

Last edited:

Dr4gonBlitz

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot for the advise. I Do need to work on my neutral game in general. Fast falling is something I never really thought of but I will try and delay my aerials/ Fast fall more proficiently.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hopefully I could get some critique on my play
Here's some friendlies I played recently and basically I got my butt handed to me XP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGh5hc4Rn8&feature=youtu.be

reference code: abcdefg
You need to work on tech skill. Learn to fast fall, jump cancel your grabs, and actually recover properly. You were clearly unfamiliar with the mechanics of battlefield's ledge. Also, you don't seem to know how to use ledge invincibility with ledge hops properly. Nor do you know how to space your dash dance yet. Ask your friends/opponents if they can explain dash dancing and zoning to you. You seemed to have no understanding of how to avoid your opponent's attacks except by hoping he ran into your forward smash. I think you just need to practice more on your own and watch videos of top Marth players - try to emulate what they're doing and create similar situations in your own matches. You will improve quickly once you start applying this training method.

Shiftyy

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone.

Looking for someone to tell me what to improve on.

Was at a local tourney this past Friday, had a really close set with the person who placed second overall, feel like I was one or two dropped edge guards away from a win.

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated :)

http://www.twitch.tv/camtendo/b/598604905

at 48:45

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
All right, here's a few of me. Right off the bat, I realize I flub a lot of tech (accidental full hops, up smashes, dash grabs) and perform too many ledge hopped aerials; these I've already identified and will take steps to stop. Besides that, all advice is appreciated!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
All right, here's a few of me. Right off the bat, I realize I flub a lot of tech (accidental full hops, up smashes, dash grabs) and perform too many ledge hopped aerials; these I've already identified and will take steps to stop. Besides that, all advice is appreciated!
Your tech skill is actually decent. Just remember that greater tech skill increases your punish game and gives you more opportunities to react to your opponent. Best way to practice tech is to just fight a level 1 Fox with infinite time on FD or Yoshi's Story. After a few weeks you will be able to execute frame perfect SHFFLs and space your moves to pixels.

Biggest things for you to work on: spacing. I remember a quote from one of PPMD's matches - a commentator pointed out that PP gets the best combos that are possible, but also he spaces them in such a way that his opponent is unable to punish him even if he can't continue the combo in some instances.

You continually do aerials into your opponent without regard for his positioning relative to you. If you have a hitbox that is close enough to hit your opponent, there's no reason for you to continue moving toward him. That just puts you in jeopardy needlessly. With a character like Marth, whose strongest moves are at the point of his sword, this applies exponentially more. I understand that some of this takes experience to master - but you should also think more about frame advantage; it'll help your spacing. Know when your opponent can act first, when the hitstun on moves ends, when tech rolls' invincible and vulnerable frames end, etc. Also, try to understand the range on moves; not just their immediate range, but also their range with movement, jumping, wavedashing, and so forth. For example, Falco's short hop dair. Many times you will want to position yourself relative to where that hitbox will be (because lasers can limit your ability to stuff the move). Other times you will want to anticipate moves and counter hit them using frame advantage.

If any of this doesn't make sense, please let me know.

Top Bottom