• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone In Smash Bros (Wii U/ 3DS) Feels Well Balanced

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I'm very surprised you say this. As a Zelda main, a competitve Project M player, and a player since Melee, I feel Zelda has been buffed, and has several things going for her, Especially for a 1v1 match up: (I played Zelda at the Best Buy event)

Din's Fire core is buffed, its now a kill move/has great knockback
Farore's Wind (when landing) is now a kill move/has great knockback
Nayru's Love has little landing lag and covers a larger area)
Phantom can be used offstage to stop horizontal recoveries (hello Fox Illusion) and has great knockback/kill move
Phantom can be instacast for a meat shield/intercept
Fair/Bair/Dair have been buffed, kill even earlier than before
Uair has more damage, lasts longer, more knockback
Grabs are still powerful
Fsmash and UpSmash, while weaker with KO potential, are seemingly guaranteed to hit more/fully and draw characters towards Zelda, into the hitbox
Uptilt is now a combo move, pretty much a useless kill move before hand
Ftilt is now a kill move

In fact, I think she's much better in a 1v1 situation rather than a free for all
Wow great stuff! I didn't focus on Zelda too long, but I did notice her improved up air attack and that she can control her momentum out of Farore's Wind now. I may not have been playing her right. I'm mostly upset over her reduced range and damage on all of her smash attacks.
In Brawl I found most players didn't know the range on her side smash and found it easy to keep nearby opponents away with it.
Her up smash just beat every aerial approach which was great since she's such a defensive character. The reduced range to this move is what I'm the most upset about.
Her down smash in Brawl was one of the fastest down smashes in the game and was a great 'get off me' move. In Smash 4 the speed and knock back look reduced.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the character!

Zelda's probably just bad now because people haven't realized her strengths yet. Even characters like Bowser, who has a new moveset, or Little Mac, a newcomer, have clear strengths and weaknesses and you have an idea on what you're going to be playing like. Zelda has a completely changed strategy compared to her previous incarnations which makes adjusting difficult.
This could be the case. I've heard a lot of people saying Bowser is bad still, but I've found the opposite to be true. His improved speed, killing power, and easy shield breaking make him a beast. Not to mention I'm sure many of these players were unaware that he has super armor on his up smash now.

And look where Marth is in the Brawl tiers. Marth has quite possibly the most disgusting design of any Smash character. Great mobility? Check. Fast attacks? Check. Short reach to compensate? Nope. Infact, his reach is enormous and rewards the player for abusing it to it's maximum potential. No matter how much Sakurai "nerfs" Marth he will always be a great character because his design is full of positive attributes that easily outweigh his mediocre recovery and lack of a projectile.

Aside from Dtilt, pretty much every one of Marth's attacks looks bigger than Brawl to me and I have no idea where people are getting the idea that "his sword was shortened again!" or "he wields a ****ing dagger now" from. Yeah okay, Fair is laggier now, so what? Marth has another good aerial approach; Nair. Bair looks so far to be a replacement Fair too, it's very fast on start and to finish.

Ken also said he was considering maining Lucina, who is from what we can tell, nearly the same as Marth. I doubt she'll be pre-Smash 4 Marth reborn. Call it a hunch.

Inb4 Marth's still in the upper half of the tiers.
This is exactly how I feel about the character. Fox and Marth are still really good characters due to their inherent properties. I'm personally glad to see them toned down slightly. And even then they both still performed pretty well at Oz Comic Con. They are by no means top tier like they were in Melee, but they are more than viable.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Really liking both the analysis and the ensuing discussion.

I must admit, my faith in Zelda's viability was at an all-time low until you posted, Ethanrodgers. The video you linked is proof that Zelda may be a greater threat than most people realize.

Keep up the good stuff, everyone!
Another thing I would like to point out in this video is that Farore's Wind was intercepted by Link's body, allowing Zelda to KILL him with it. It traveled a MUCH shorter distance. It's at 0:48 seconds in!

THIS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER MAJOR BUFF TO ZELDA!

She was never able to stop a full teleport before coming from the air unless she was intercepted by the stage.

Last edited:

Egg-Off the Conquerer

Smash Apprentice
Zelda's nerfs seem the most nonsensical of any character. One of the worst characters in the game made even worse? I'm not even a Zelda main but I'm genuinely curious about what the developers' reasoning was behind her nerfs. Even if you play the game casually and know nothing about tiers, Zelda's far from being an intimidating character. Ike I could understand but Zelda?
I think, perhaps, they think she's too strong in FFA? High knockback/priority plus her projectile is great for FFA?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
1. That was an edge canceled farrows wind.

2. That theory crafting is solid, but do you know whether or not the Phantom puts you in free fall?

3. On foxes side, you are assuming that he isn't DI'ing correctly.

4. If you miss space your Phantom it can get hit by a Foxcopter.

5. Fox can illusion in this game without going into free fall, so he has multiple recovery options.

For Phantom to be remotely effective, he needs some super armor, which is ironic, since you would expect that from a suit of armor.
1. I know, I wasn't pointing out the cancel. The teleport ITSELF is much faster than usual. Luigi isn't even halfway finished with his upspecial and shes already teleported.

2. Yes, its been confirmed Phantom does NOT put Zelda into free fall. I played her myself in the demo. I'll see if I can get a video, but I know this for a fact. We've discussed it on the Zelda boards.

3. Not really, the Phantom has high horizontal knockback, as indicated in the Smash Direct (when she hits Fox)

4. Of course if you don't time something right you'll mess things up. I'm not saying this is perfect/for sure everytime.

5. I'm aware of that as well. In the gif, after he's hit by the Phantom, even if he Side B'd again, I doubt there's much chance of him still recovering that high with Fox Fire.

The Phantom is still effective as a meat shield as well. It's better to use in some cases than Nayru's because you don't have much lag after words and Zelda can follow up/shield/avoid if need be.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Another thing I would like to point out in this video is that Farore's Wind was intercepted by Link's body, allowing Zelda to KILL him with it. It traveled a MUCH shorter distance. It's at 0:48 seconds in!

THIS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER MAJOR BUFF TO ZELDA!

She was never able to stop a full teleport before coming from the air unless she was intercepted by the stage.

but was she left in freefall afterwards? if so, this could be just another ike's quickdraw if people decide to stand between you and the stage.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
but was she left in freefall afterwards? if so, this could be just another ike's quickdraw if people decide to stand between you and the stage.
I doubt it, since you can easily just teleport at an upward angle. Ike only has one place to go. Her recovery is predictable sometimes, yes, but not nearly as predictable as someone with only one direction to go. If they get hit by it, it has severe knockback anyway.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Since you had the chance to play with Zelda does this actually work? I posted this picture on the Zelda boards as an example of how phantoms could be used to edge guard without being able to test it myself. Would be great to know how effective it is.
Also thanks for posting all the info about Zelda so far. As a Zelda main myself I love reading about all the changes she received and how people plan to adjust to her new options. It sounds like we can use a more offensive Nayru's now since the ending lag has been reduced and the range has been increased.

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I'm glad you've been liking my threads!

I feel the same way with Zelda. Some of my more casual friends think Zelda is the best character in the game. So yeah I think they're trying to reduce her FFA potency without making her too bad in the format. And thus we end up with a Zelda that just isn't appealing in 1v1. To be fair her aerials have improved along with her recovery, but it doesn't seem like a balanced trade in the least.

As for Villager I didn't actually touch him at all. A friend of mine who I consider to be one of the best players in Victoria played nothing but Villager. She picked up the character incredibly quickly and was just doing amazing things with the guy.
Here's her notes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
VILLAGER:
Jab: Punches with boxing gloves. 2% per hit. Unknown if there's a jab combo since all he ever did was just keep punching.

Side Tilt: Swipes with umbrella. 8%. Nice range and also nice for killing.

Down Tilt: Pulls grass from ground. Damage varies depending on where you get hit. 4-6% if right in middle of grass. 7-9% if you get hit by the grass pulled/hit at the edge of the grass.

Up Tilt: Swirls a stick in the air. There are two parts to this move: 1) the initial hitbox @ the beginning, which has low knockback and knocks the opponent into the 2nd hitbox, 2) the hitbox that knocks the opponent upwards (at low percentages) but for some reason, sideways @ higher percentages. 3-5% with both hits. Can be used for killing.

Neutral Air: Spins around (like Lucas' nair). Moderate damage but rather low knockback. Its range is also lacking. 7-9%.

Forward Air: Fires a small object (can't tell if it's berry or rock or whatever though) on a slingshot. Reaches about roughly 2 and half Villagers in front of him. 4-10%. Surprising amount of knockback scaling on it makes it a viable killing move.
(I have a feeling it does more/less damage based on how far it has travelled, but I have no way to confirm this)

Back Air: Same as forward air, except backwards + less damage. 6-7%.

Down Air: Thrusts turnips downwards. Amount of turnips vary randomly. More turnips = more damage + more knockback.
1 turnip: 3-4%. Pitiful knockback.
2 turnips: 5%. Decent but still pretty bad knockback.
3 turnips: 7-10%. Nice knockback.
(There seems to be an extremely small sweetspot that spikes enemies, but even with 3 turnips it is ridiculously hard to get that spike to work).

Neutral B: Pocket projectiles. Works with literally EVERYTHING. Megaman's side smash, Yellow Devil's Eye-shots (or something), Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation, Zelda's Phantom attack etc.
NOTE: It seems you lose the projectile you take if you take enough damage; enough damage being a small amount considering how easily Villager kept dropping that baseball bat he pocketed.
Also you can't pocket Smash Balls or Assist Trophies.
Unknown if redirected projectile is stronger/weaker.

UNFINISHED:
Uair: Same as down air. ?%, but with 3 turnips it can kill very efficiently.

Side Smash: Drops bowling ball. Very nice damage + knockback, but oh-so hard to hit with because of the startup time.

Down Smash: Buries opponents on both sides. Leads well into his side smash. Or pocketed baseball bats 8D.

Up Smash: Activates fireworks. Very nice range, but the strongest hitbox is small and in the direct centre of the attack. There are smaller hitboxes near the edge of the move.

Side B: Fires a Lloid Rocket. Villager can just send it off on its own or ride it to deal more damage. It goes for about 1 and third Battlefield length before it explodes on its own. Very good for horizontal recovery, but there is lag when you jump off and when you hit something.
Notes:
- If Villager rides on it and it explodes, he doesn't take damage BUT he is thrown into helpless state (i.e. can't do anything until he lands).
- You can jump off the rocket early, but you will still be in helpless state (which makes sense otherwise Villager is always going to be able to recover from any part of the screen).
- If Villager rides on it BUT it hits an enemy, he'll jump off and WON'T be in helpless state. Yes, you can spam rockets all day, provided they hit.

Down B: Plants a sapling, waters it, and chops it down. Very, very, useful + insane amount of knockback. There are 3 stages to this:
1. Planting the sapling. That's all you're ever going to do in your first use of down B.
2. Watering. Once the sapling is planted, you can use the watering can anywhere. It's essentially the same as Mario's F.L.U.D.D or Squirtle's Water Gun attack... but spammable + instant. Use it offstage to make everyone cry (maaaaybe not against Little Mac or Link; they have it tough already).
3. There is a tree. You now have the axe. The axe can be used anywhere, even in air. It deals about 15-20% per hit. And it's instant.
The catch? Its range is only a little bit better than Jigglypuff's rest. And it has lag.
Buuuut... if you chop the tree, and tree hits someone, it does ridiculous damage + kills very quickly.
Note: You can roll around the tree.

Up B: Gets balloon hat. Flies up really quickly if you spam B. YOU MUST KEEP PRESSING B, EVEN IF SLOWLY.
This is because if you stop pressing B, you WILL descend quickly. And the momentum is hard to stop. Can't tell you how many times I've died because of that.

Grab: Pulls the net out. As far as grabs go, it's pretty bad. But my main was Ness, so don't take my word for it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Villager can deal a lot of damage really quickly and is ridiculously safe with a lot of his attacks. I expect a lot out of this character.

As for Rosalina we didn't get to figure out anything for her defensively. So I can't help you there.

Wii Fit Trainer seems pretty cool, but yeah her attacks have very awkward range. Her down special increases her damage and knock back output. It also makes her jab combo bury opponents into the ground on the last hit. It might have other effects as well, but that's all I noticed.
This all sounds great for the Villager, but I'm still kind of scared for him. A lot of his attacks seem to have a ton of lag, and I doubt Timber will ever be used seriously in its current state.

But, as an experimental character, it's up to us to experiment with him and find out how to link all his craziness together I suppose.

Disappointed that his back-air arbitrarily does less percent, though.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Since you had the chance to play with Zelda does this actually work? I posted this picture on the Zelda boards as an example of how phantoms could be used to edge guard without being able to test it myself. Would be great to know how effective it is.
Also thanks for posting all the info about Zelda so far. As a Zelda main myself I love reading about all the changes she received and how people plan to adjust to her new options. It sounds like we can use a more offensive Nayru's now since the ending lag has been reduced and the range has been increased.
I know since I played the game she felt amazing compared to Brawl. I play PM competively and she felt spot on. And you're welcome! I loved Zelda since OoT and I'm dedicated. (Look at my avatar :p)

I wasn't able to test anything effectively, as it was a 2 minute free for all, but Phantom felt very nice. On the 3DS version I was actually able to combo Phantom Slash with Farore's Wind, too. I fully charge Phantom Slash, and right after I teleported to them. It felt like a true 3 hit combo. The Phantom hit twice, and right before his second hit, my teleport landed and then he hit.

Also, here's a screenshot proving Zelda's teleport does indeed cancel on contact:

There is no way in HELL that's a full length Farore's. No WAY.

But, if you have any further Zelda questions we should take them to the Zelda boards.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I really wish I could hear more about Sonic. I don't want him to have the same general hit and run playstyle. I never wanted to play Sonic that way, and I don't want to in this game.

@ 4cast 4cast There really isn't anything else you can say about Toon Link execpt that?
Aside from him being Nerfed in all area's aside from grab's that it unfortunately

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Did you try out the 3DS version of the game? I thought the main problem with Marth was the landing lag on aerials, which, don't get me wrong, I agree really hurts Marth. I'm just wondering if the 3DS Marth has less landing lag, and if it does, that should make Marth decent again - however, this is coming from someone who hasn't played the demo, so take this with a grain of salt.
You can't Double Hop Fair anymore and His lag on 3DS is very Noticeable while shield breaker is better that's about it

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
You can't Double Hop Fair anymore and His lag on 3DS is very Noticeable while shield breaker is better that's about it
No double hop fair won't break him. People will just have to be more creative. I'm looking forward to trying both him and Zelda in the new Smash. :)

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Did you try out the 3DS version of the game? I thought the main problem with Marth was the landing lag on aerials, which, don't get me wrong, I agree really hurts Marth. I'm just wondering if the 3DS Marth has less landing lag, and if it does, that should make Marth decent again - however, this is coming from someone who hasn't played the demo, so take this with a grain of salt.
I did, actually. I played a round of smash run at best buy.

Yeah man, it's the same in the 3DS version and it's pretty bad. The lag really kills F-air on short hop, SHDFair is impossible, and dancing blade isn't a viable poke anymore because of longer ending lag.

D-tilt's range got super nerfed. All of our pokes are gone. Grab range is shorter too, so our transitions from ground to air are harder and set ups are harder too. D-throw and f-throw launch people too far/too high.

F-smash has slightly more lag on end, which nerfs it even more.

The only thing that is really preserved from before is Dolphin slash, but that's still risky as hell with limited utility. That and N-air, it's still beautiful. It seems like we have to rely on things like F-tilt more now.

Don't get me wrong. He's not all bad. It's just that it's clear that we can't play with our old style without even more risk. We need to switch things up, but so far, I don't think anyone knows how.

I trust in OP's analysis. He's given us some great insight on how this build works. But with Marth, I'm just worried man :(

Last edited:

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
I'm really glad they're buffing bowser
The only times i've enjoyed playing him was when I discovered what his dash animation was... fun times

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
here is Alax's Thoughts on the matter!:secretkpop:

WOO GO SMASHBOARDS!

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Some of these other characters seem very balanced based off of what OP says.

I genuinely think there's a lot for the competitive community to look forward to in this game.

makegoodchoices

Smash Rookie
NNID
zimdohicky
3DS FC
0748-3111-1596
I did, actually. I played a round of smash run at best buy.

Yeah man, it's the same in the 3DS version and it's pretty bad. The lag really kills F-air on short hop, SHDFair is impossible, and dancing blade isn't a viable poke anymore because of longer ending lag.

D-tilt's range got super nerfed. All of our pokes are gone. Grab range is shorter too, so our transitions from ground to air are harder and set ups are harder too. D-throw and f-throw launch people too far/too high.

F-smash has slightly more lag on end, which nerfs it even more.

The only thing that is really preserved from before is Dolphin slash, but that's still risky as hell with limited utility. That and N-air, it's still beautiful. It seems like we have to rely on things like F-tilt more now.

Don't get me wrong. He's not all bad. It's just that it's clear that we can't play with our old style without even more risk. We need to switch things up, but so far, I don't think anyone knows how.

I trust in OP's analysis. He's given us some great insight on how this build works. But with Marth, I'm just worried man :(
Ah, well that's disappointing. I guess it just gives me more of an incentive to try out the newcomers.

Also, on the SHDF note, is that just Marth? I thought nobody could short hop double anything anymore.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Ah, well that's disappointing. I guess it just gives me more of an incentive to try out the newcomers.

Also, on the SHDF note, is that just Marth? I thought nobody could short hop double anything anymore.
No I'm pretty sure Sheik Can

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
I'm so happy that this game is a mix between Melee and Brawl it seems like the game will be just right.
Smash 4 mains::4littlemac::4myfriends::4falcon::4pacman::4sonic::wario:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace

Ahhh, I don't know. I know for sure that marth can't do it though. Double f-air out of full hop has seemingly yielded positive results though. Both hits have connected every time I've seen someone do it.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I would certainly think that the game is well balanced. Wii Fit Trainer is a character after all.

Top Bottom