• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVERYONE ELSE IS TOO SLOW-- Sonic Match-up Thread 01/18/15 GAME AND WATCH! WATCH HIM GAME! And stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocktheChest

Smash Cadet
NNID
LocktheChest
You have to be really careful with using your spins. Try running while shielding any needles to get close. From there, you can try to bait a reaction that you can punish, preferably with a grab. You could also try Homing Attack but don't let yourself become predictable with it.
Thank you so much! I had not integrated grabs and shielding into my sonic game, and since doing so it has improved my sonic play tremendously.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think shield grabbing is one of Sonic's strongest points, especially now with his increased grab range. He's like one of the only characters that can go from across the stage to in your face in a second and grab.

:093:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Dunno if we're going to keep using this thread or not, but we need an actual organized matchup thread. Would like for us to all vote on a character to talk about. Have a deep discussion on the matchup. Then move the key points to the ever expanding first post and move on to the next character. You know... Like every other board does.. Lol. All of these threads are a mess and seem to be made by people that vanish a day or two later.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah. I'd take initiative again but things irl keep me too busy to be properly dedicating time to each and every aspect...

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Yeah I feel the same way. I think I could handle the video thread as that's just upkeep with new additions and our current one is obviously ****. I'll probably do that when I get home.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Lookin' forward to it. I've been gradually updating my thread but it's hard to take on all of Side-B and Down-B alone.

LocktheChest

Smash Cadet
NNID
LocktheChest
Lucina kicked my *** today. I had no chance. What do I do? Her aerials have way more range than Sonic's, and she spams them constantly.
I've been playing against her today, so I'll help.
Her aerials are pretty good, but there is a short delay between when she can do another. THAT is when you need to attack. With Lucina, it's all about timing. Most of her moves can leave her open, but the opening is short. Sonic's F-tilt can out range some of her attacks. Use the homing attack on occasion to disrupt her flow. From experience, a Lucina will often react too quickly to the homing attack, and miss because of the short delay the homing attack has before it goes off. Don't spam it though, as they will eventually figure it out.
If you are using Side B, try jumping around before activating it, as it can throw the lucina off.
TL;DR, you need to bait her out. the gap you have to punish is small, but it's possible.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if we're going to keep using this thread or not, but we need an actual organized matchup thread. Would like for us to all vote on a character to talk about. Have a deep discussion on the matchup. Then move the key points to the ever expanding first post and move on to the next character. You know... Like every other board does.. Lol. All of these threads are a mess and seem to be made by people that vanish a day or two later.
I haven't really vanished man. This week has been kind of difficult with all the stuff I have going on. But then again, i made the thread because sincerely, nobody else was and we just had a bunch of "how do I beat this char" threads popping up. But if someone is willing to take over this thing and give it more attention I'm all for it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I appreciate the gesture and I don't think he was referring directly about you as much as it is a general occurrence with this board.

I think the bigger issue is that having a thread for Match-Up discussion is great, but I think we should focus on character to character and get input from other boards as well. Then we can update the main post with each character breakdown instead of having people constantly coming in here with random "I can't beat ___ in For Glory, help?" posts.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'd do it, but I suck. And I don't do words very good.

Heard a lot of characters where there are issues, and obviously they are the priority, but is there a matchup considered universally easy?

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I appreciate the gesture and I don't think he was referring directly about you as much as it is a general occurrence with this board.

I think the bigger issue is that having a thread for Match-Up discussion is great, but I think we should focus on character to character and get input from other boards as well. Then we can update the main post with each character breakdown instead of having people constantly coming in here with random "I can't beat ___ in For Glory, help?" posts.

This man speaks truth!

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
You're back baby!

Indeed. I wish I knew about the /hope going on in pittsburgh this weekend earlier because I totally would've been there to take yall's money again.

I'm hosting a tourney up here instead though. Might be going to fight pitt though so hopefully we'll see each other there.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Indeed. I wish I knew about the /hope going on in pittsburgh this weekend earlier because I totally would've been there to take yall's money again.

I'm hosting a tourney up here instead though. Might be going to fight pitt though so hopefully we'll see each other there.
PA tournies are a little harder for me as I'm mostly in NY now... I'd like to do a bigger Pitt tourney though if I get the opportunity. Would definitely love to see you all again.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385

Wut..? I am so out of the loop...

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
Rosaluma is a weird match up.

With the Luma in play, getting in close is tough, and Rosalina herself has some fantastic priority.

Once Luma is gone, Rosalina is easier due to being a light weight and tall (making her an easy target).

Anyway to dispatch the luma quickly?

S.S.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░▀▀▀██████▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░█████████▄
░░░░░▀▀▀▀█████▌░▀▐▄░▀▐█ U HAVE BEEN FASTED BY
░░░▀▀█████▄▄░▀██████▄██
░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀█▄▀█════█▀
░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄░░▀▀███░▀░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░▄███▀▀██▄████████▄░▄▀▀▀██▌THE FAST MASTER
░░░██▀▄▄▄██▀▄███▀░▀▀████░░░░░▀█▄
▄▀▀▀▄██▄▀▀▌████▒▒▒▒▒▒███░░░░▌▄▄▀
▌░░░░▐▀████▐███▒▒▒▒▒▐██▌
▀▄░░▄▀░░░▀▀████▒▒▒▒▄██▀
░░▀▀░░░░░░▀▀█████████▀
░░░░░░░░▄▄██▀██████▀█
░░░░░░▄██▀░░░░░▀▀▀░░█
░░░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░▄▄▄▄█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▄▄▄▄▀▀▄
▌░░░░░▐░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄▀
░▀▀▄▄▀

SEND THIS TO 7 PPL OR UR 2 SLOW

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I find going out of my way to kill luma is more trouble than it's worth. It reappears in what like 10 seconds? I think when we start properly talking about matchups character by character i vote we start with Rosaluma. None of the other newcomers seem to problematic.

:077:

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
I'm pretty sure Luma respawns after 7 seconds. Spinshot over it maybe? Spinshot>Nair could work?

S.S.

carneVal

Smash Rookie
If Luma ever separates I find it extremely easy to deal with. If they use the charge up move while you are at a distance, just dodge and hit Luma RIGHT as it finishes. It's annoying for RosaLuma players because now their star isn't where they want or they waste frames recalling it. That's only if they separate, though, been having difficulties with them keeping it close and just using it as a range extender.

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
Be patient with Shulk. I played one earlier and got owned until I started taking my time. Fake out a lot, bait him. Get close and dash away. When Shulk uses a smash attack, he has a long-ish cool down period. It worked for me?

S.S.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Sonic vs. Rosalina? The luma isn't the issue(well, not as much), it's Rosalina's absurd priority on her attacks.

EDIT: Someone asked my EXACT question, never mind.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Sonic vs Luigi? He annoys me a little mainly because of his fireballs and I find it a little hard to edgeguard his SideB. Not frustrating, but annoying.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If you guys are looking to do things in an organised way to build towards a comprehensive list of MUs, the Lucina and Rosalina boards have taken to discussing MUs for those characters on a weekly basis, changing character each week. Seems ideal for generating more focused discussions.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina is by far my worst matchup. Japanese Rosalina's contribute to 50% of all my losses on FG.

I suggest baiting luma out and rushing Rosa during either sending or recalling. Smarter players will be prepared for the initial rushdown so bait carefully. Also, her Dtilt with Luma stops+wrecks most grounded approaches.

Last edited:

Bajike

Smash Rookie
NNID
LemonCurry4
3DS FC
4699-7410-6167
Need help on Sonic vs. Zero Suit Samus. Apparently, it's the worst match-up and I need help. I see way too many ZSS' on For Glory.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, it's the worst match-up and I need help. I see way too many ZSS' on For Glory.
That's funny because ZSS is awful with a fraction of lag. I suggest playing it safe and bait grabs whenever possible. Her dash is hard to punish, but she is easier for me to manage while she's airborne. Bad ZSS players will use Dair often (easy to bait) and it's really easy to punish. Play conservatively, watch her movements, and abuse SC.

Last edited:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'd be happy to make a progressive, character focused match up thread. I was looking at the original brawl sonic version the other day, and it was very productive. My only issue would be that in the last like 2 years I've been inactive I've forgotten how to format anything on here, add images etc etc.

Last edited:

SonicX2k0

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicX2k0
3DS FC
5413-0219-1286
i dont like wario the bite move gets me everytime i have to slow it down just to be beat him :(

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Wario is a pain sadly. Wectoring is also a thing (needs to be patched imo) and bite shenanigans will make you hesitant for frontal approach. I've only fought a small number of decent Warios thus far, but I mostly rely on HA and Pawnch.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wectoring?

I hate it already.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Moves like warios bite and inhale moves feel like they're a lot easier to deal with on this game. Sonic's homing attack is a lot more reliable and those moves seem to have more ending lag, so they're easier to punish. They possibly have less priority as well? I don't remember much about brawl anymore. Maybe they had the same heavy armor frames or whatever it was called that grabs had. Regardless, when I see people try to do abuse options like that on this game, I always have a good laugh.

JamesUK7

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamesUK7
3DS FC
4167-4581-3341
I know there is already a post about the Sheik matchup but I'm finding it difficult to deal with Sheik's aerial pressure, approaching with Side B and Down B is almost impossible too due to her needles... Any advice?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I know there is already a post about the Sheik matchup but I'm finding it difficult to deal with Sheik's aerial pressure, approaching with Side B and Down B is almost impossible too due to her needles... Any advice?
As far as needles go, don't forget that from Side-B alone you can either shield cancel the hits or spinshot over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom