• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone check out VGBootCamp Next Week! 3/3/15 @ 8PM

juddy96

Smash Lord
Still a chance for Isai to reach his yearly quota for tournament appearances!

Sedda

Smash Champion
im just happy that this event is going to be run by juggleguy and nintendude. we pretty much get the best of both worlds

SheerMadness

Smash Master
This is great news but it's a bit of a stretch labeling it the biggest 64 tourney ever already. The chances of it being bigger than Apex this year are slim to none IMO.

Too short notice. It also doesn't have the Apex like reputation among foreign communities (Japan/South America) to draw worldwide interest.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, just realistic.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Well it will almost certainly be the biggest prize pool for any 64 ever by a good margin. And with the money usually comes a lot of good players.

Plus as I said not all the goodies have been revealed yet. I think maybe since things are still being planned they don't want to say anything that isn't 100% set in stone yet, but trust me when I say more things are in the works for 64 that should make this event huge. I'd be surprised if we don't surpass Apex 2015 numbers

Shears

Smash Master
At least it's only 2 hours 45 minutes away from you... It's 10 hours from where I live.

You would think that I wouldn't have to drive far because VA borders TN... then again, TN borders alot of states
Theres a megabus route that runs from Knoxville to DC with 1 stop in Christiansbug, VA and maybe one more rest stop.

Also, I can offer housing as I live an hour from the event although I'll probably just get a hotel so I don't have to worry about driving to and from every morning and night.

@THE_MAAFIA talk to the other PA guys about transportation.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Luckily, my sister lives in Chattanooga which means she could give me a ride to Knoxville for the bus ride. The event occurs before my classes start so it's a possibility for me. Hopefully, I could stay with somebody instead of getting a hotel room but I guess it's fine either way.

The only kink as of now that I'd need to work out is transportation from DC to Chantilly which I'm sure can be arranged.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Well it will almost certainly be the biggest prize pool for any 64 ever by a good margin. And with the money usually comes a lot of good players.
Just know that our pot bonus is going to be tiny compared to melee/sm4ash. Because I already know people are going to whine about 64 getting shafted in that department. I'm honestly expecting like $500 maybe 1k (which is still great considering).

By the time all the details are revealed it will be less than 5 months away. Awfully short notice, especially for OOC people.

I'm sure it will be a great tourney and I encourage everyone to go. Expecting an Apex like turnout is just setting the bar way too high. More like an upgraded Zenith.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Just know that our pot bonus is going to be tiny compared to melee/sm4ash. Because I already know people are going to whine about 64 getting shafted in that department. I'm honestly expecting like $500 maybe 1k
Nope. Don't be surprised if it doesn't turn into an even 1/4 split per game.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Nope. Don't be surprised if it doesn't turn into an even 1/4 split per game.
Lol. You honestly believe Brawl and 64 are going to get an equal split of the 30k with Melee and sm4ash?

Brawl makes 0 sense. There literally is no brawl scene anymore.

Man I wish I had your blind optimism.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Lol. You honestly believe Brawl and 64 are going to get an equal split of the 30k with Melee and sm4ash?

Brawl makes 0 sense. There literally is no brawl scene anymore.

Man I wish I had your blind optimism.
Yeah I doubt it will be anything near an even split, but it makes absolute sense to offer ~2k to get more people to attend/register for 64 and Brawl. This will probably be more effective for Brawl since a lot of top smash 4 players came from that game. I'm predicting 64 to get the least amount of entrants, but I still think we can get Apex numbers.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
oh and also, this isnt just some community tournament..

the name is SUPER SMASH CON. that **** alone will attract all sorts of filthy casuals

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I think an even split is definitely blind optimism. It's just not logical to give games that will have a fraction the attendance and demand of melee/sm4sh even splits.

1-2k sounds fairly realistic to me. That's still a very large pot bonus for a 64 tourney.

I think a split of like

10k melee
10k sm4sh
5k 64
5k brawl

Is the absolute best case scenario. And I would be totally shocked to see it pan out that well for 64/brawl.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I think an even split is definitely blind optimism. It's just not logical to give games that will have a fraction the attendance and demand of melee/sm4sh even splits.

1-2k sounds fairly realistic to me. That's still a very large pot bonus for a 64 tourney.

I think a split of like

10k melee
10k sm4sh
5k 64
5k brawl

Is the absolute best case scenario. And I would be totally shocked to see it pan out that well for 64/brawl.
Well we're also forgetting about teams tournaments.
Given that Smash games are the only main events, I doubt they wouldn't include doubles for each, but I'm guessing more of the pot would still go to the singles tourney of each game.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master

I think a split of like

10k melee
10k sm4sh
5k 64
5k brawl

Its not blind. Its because I've spoken with Justin about this event in person and he is doing this mainly to give back to the 64 community. Originally it was stated to me as an equal minimum guaranteed pot size for each game (a big number). Yea if melee gets so many players it exceeds that minimum pot size because of entry fees then okay, but that wouldn't reduce 64's minimum pot size.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Its not blind. Its because I've spoken with Justin about this event in person and he is doing this mainly to give back to the 64 community. Originally it was stated to me as an equal minimum guaranteed pot size for each game (a big number). Yea if melee gets so many players it exceeds that minimum pot size because of entry fees then okay, but that wouldn't reduce 64's minimum pot size.
who is this justin anyways? just curious

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
......Am I the only thinking the pot bonus for 64 is legitimately going to be about 20 bucks?

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
va smasher who has not been very vocal in the past but has attended the past 2 apexs and a number of local tourneys. he got 49th at apex. I know people don't know who he is, but people thinking 64 is gonna get screwed per usual are not really understanding what we got here. this is literally one of us trying to host the biggest 64 event ever.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
There's no way for 64 to get screwed here IMO. I'm not part of the camp that always believes were victims among the smash community.

Just having 64 included in a national tourney is a win.

Having a 1-2k pot bonus is icing on the cake. Just because I don't think you're being realistic in your expectations doesn't mean I'm adopting the victim mentality.

Your friend Justin saying it's an equal pot split doesn't mean it's so. I'm betting he has 0 authority on how the pot is split. Nor do I believe he's closely involved with the inner circle of decision makers in this. I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, but it's just not logical.

Melee and sm4sh bring in all the money and demand. Where is this 30k coming from anyway? I doubt 64 had anything to do with drawing that kind of a pot bonus(through sponsors/vgbootcamp/whatever), so it's not fair to give us an equal split.

Looks like @Nintendude is one of the main TO's so until he comes on here and tells us 64 will have an equal portion of that 30k pot I refuse to believe it.

Either way this is a huge win for 64 no matter what our pot bonus ends up being.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Ah now I see the misunderstanding... Justin put this whole thing together, and as far as I know is the sole backer of the pot. he is judge jury executioner here. there is no inner circle of decision makers above justin. it's his event. at least it was when the idea started, maybe it's possible this has become a joint venture but to my knowledge he controls EVERYTHING. could be wrong I guess.

btw I'm pretty sure it isn't pot bonuses, but probably minimum guaranteed pot. so if entrant money exceeds that the pot could get bigger, and if entrant money is less than that the difference would be covered.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
This Justin guy is funding 30k worth of pot bonuses on his own lol? If it's not he doesn't get to determine where or how it's distributed.

Your info doesn't seem to add up RYAN.

I think there is way more going on here than you're privileged to haha.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
so really what's being funded here is 30k minus money taken in, which could be 0 if there are enough participants. hey I was surprised when he told me too.

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
That's not a pot bonus then. That's just a guaranteed pot of 30k. Pot bonuses are always in addition to entry fees.

The smashboards article said 30k in pot bonuses.

MasterSplinter

Smash Cadet
Could someone give me the rundown of the date, time, and location of this tournament? I would like to go to a smash tournament once I'm in college. Thx in advance.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
How the hell am I gonna get to Virginia?? And how am I gonna stay there for 2 days?... Oh god I hope my parents let me
Yo man talk to the other Philly guys, I know were trying to get all the central PA guys to go, so if you can get over to us we can take you down and you can probably stay with us.

Top Bottom