• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Don't joke here, Nintendo's been seen negatively from some people for many years. What about the current Amiibo fiasco? I'm already seeing them negatively now because of this along with other idiotic moves like cutting the WiFi for both the DS & Wii. Tell me, do you approve of these foolish moves or not?
Uh. I wouldn't call the amiibo's a "fiasco" as much as a miscommunication between Nintendo and the consumer.

Also its very common for ALL consoles (not just Nintendo) to shut down online services for older consoles/games when new ones come up. How is that a foolish move? Why would they waste the server space for older consoles when they could use them for newer ones when there's going to be a lot of traffic for newer games? That's like the original Xbox keeping its online services up until now, 12 years after its debut. It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Don't joke here, Nintendo's been seen negatively from some people for many years. What about the current Amiibo fiasco? I'm already seeing them negatively now because of this along with other idiotic moves like cutting the WiFi for both the DS & Wii. Tell me, do you approve of these foolish moves or not?
We knew amiibo would be in short supply at launch. Especially ones like Wii Fit Trainer. It kinda sucks, but let's face it, business-wise, you can't have all these amiibo out there.

Plus the Nintendo WiFi shutdown was going to happen eventually. All resources need to be focused on running Nintendo Network and making it better.

Basically, I approve of these "foolish actions".

As for the error, not fixing it will only make matters worse for Nintendo. Why would ignoring it benefit them?

Oh, and let's not go off topic here. Stick to the error code, not amiibo or Nintendo WiFi.

Last edited:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Ok so, how exactly does one get this error? I'm getting Smash Wii U for Christmas, and I want to avoid it for sure.

The last thing I read is that you can obtain it from playing For Glory. Is this false? Can someone fill me in?

And from the looks of it, Nintendo hasn't fixed it just yet. (Right?)

Or should I just go ham and play whatever the hell I want, as there's only a small chance I'll get it?

Last edited:
Ok so, how exactly does one get this error? I'm getting Smash Wii U for Christmas, and I want to avoid it for sure.

The last thing I read is that you can obtain it from playing For Glory. Is this false? Can someone fill me in?

Or should I just go ham and play whatever the hell I want, as there's only a small chance I'll get it?
Nobody has the slightest clue how the error is triggered. Playing is gine, there's only a small chance you'll get it. Even if you play For Glory. This error effects all games, not just Smash.

Just cross your fingers and hope nothing happens each time you turn on the console. :p

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
From what ive read here before, if you have the save data on the USB device, getting the error and then using another device, will allow you to play the game again. Except of course, you will have to start everything again.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
The automated system Nintendo seems to have for sending out emails seems to be pretty awful, but I believe they've just emailed me trying to say that the repair is finished on my Wii U and they're sending it back to me. I'll keep the thread updated in terms of if they just gave me a new one and managed to salvage the save data or not.

THECONTESTKID

Smash Rookie
The automated system Nintendo seems to have for sending out emails seems to be pretty awful, but I believe they've just emailed me trying to say that the repair is finished on my Wii U and they're sending it back to me. I'll keep the thread updated in terms of if they just gave me a new one and managed to salvage the save data or not.

that's exactly what I wrote yesterday, they saved all data on mine, lets see if they have the same SOP for everyone!

basically, receiving a new Wii u without missing any information, sounds good for me

let us know when you received it

Last edited:

THECONTESTKID

Smash Rookie

as far as i understand from Nintendo, this error comes from the flash memory having reading errors (HARDWARE ISSUE),
lets say this is happening to a certain lot of Wii Us (we don't know which series o date or range of serial#s, and i don't think Nintendo would say that), so is not from an specific menu, IT'S RANDOM

Nintendo hasn't release a "fix or update" since this is not a global, starting from the fact that is not affecting all users Nintendo should help you if you call and open a service call to get either a replacement or repair. (I'm waiting for other users confirmation if they received a replacement with all data saved as i did to confirm that data lost is not a problem)

there's not such a thing like UPDATE or PATCH to wait for.

go for the ham!! with your controller in hand as well! LOL

So my advice is: if you planning to get a Nintendo Wii U, make sure you have a USB memory to have it as default saves directory and you are going to be save all the time. the chances like this are null, since you are not touching the internal system flash memory too much.

best regards

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I also heard Smash isn't the direct cause of this, as other games have had the same problems. To name a game I have, Super Mario 3DS World, which also apparently had the same issue, but I played through the whole game 100% and had no problems, so perhaps my Wii U is safe.

Like I said, I'm gonna go ham, and well, my Wii U will be safe either way as long as I DON'T reformat my Wii U. However, if this were to happen, all I'd need to do is delete my Smash 4 data to play again, correct?

Thanks, and I will go for that ham, hehe.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
T

So my advice is: if you planning to get a Nintendo Wii U, make sure you have a USB memory to have it as default saves directory and you are going to be save all the time. the chances like this are null, since you are not touching the internal system flash memory too much.

best regards
Ive been trying to do this since awhile. What data needs to be moved, and how do you specify that the external storage will be the default saving location?

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I have no confirmation on this and it's purely personal speculation, but I'd assume the error comes from shutting the game down when it's invisibly autosaving. Same thing happened with Mario Kart 8 and it corrupted the game data and even bricked systems.

Safest thing to do if this is the case is to always exit to any sort of a menu, then wait at least 10 seconds and then shut the game down.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
that's exactly what I wrote yesterday, they saved all data on mine, lets see if they have the same SOP for everyone!

basically, receiving a new Wii u without missing any information, sounds good for me

let us know when you received it
finally got it today. no such luck though. paperwork says that they were unable to recover any user information AND they couldn't duplicate the problem that i was experiencing. i haven't plugged it in yet because i'm still going over the paper work, but it appears that i've lost everything.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Has it beem confirmed yet on what the 5.3.2 update did and if it fixed this problem?

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
So far, no more reports have been gotten.

That one they linked seemed to be a different error code than this one.

But nope, no official confirmation has been done.

Andy Worsfold

Smash Rookie
So its ChristmasChristmas day, my son unpacks his new sealed Wii u and up pops error codev160-0103. Well that's his Christmas day ruined thanks Nintendo. Just a pile of junk!

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
So its ChristmasChristmas day, my son unpacks his new sealed Wii u and up pops error codev160-0103. Well that's his Christmas day ruined thanks Nintendo. Just a pile of junk!
You can call Nintendo support and get it fix for free.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I have to wonder.

Was the wii u in a bundle?
Was it when you were configuring it or when trying to play a game?

Last edited:

Mordo

Smash Rookie
upon further review, nintendo sent me a new wii u entirely. they couldn't save my data, but put my mii on the new one to link to my nintendo account, as well as my brother's. i haven't tried to play smash or hyrule warriors yet, only a game i didn't even get to open before having to send it off. i can only assume that since it's a new wii u, i won't end up getting the error again.

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Wow, a month and Nintendo still hasn't made an official announcement on this... sadly not surprising really at all. They probably won't at all. I should hopefully be getting my shipment back any day now.. I really wish they could explain in their return e-mails whether or not they could save the Wii U's console data or had to send a new replacement itself if needed.

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Update: My Wii U actually just arrived back! I just wanted to confirm that it is possible to have all of your data saved and still in order, as this appears to be the case for mine. I'm glad Nintendont could at least do something right!

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Opened my Wii U on Christmas Day. So far no problems. I've been avoiding SD cards and when playing smash I make sure to go to the menu screen and let it load for a few seconds before I click on home menu and eventually shut off the console. My Wii U is a 32 GB bundled with Mario Kart. I've only played Smash so far.

Xyekenvort

Smash Rookie
I finally got a message from the retailer, to pick up my Wii U :D

Going to pick it up right now. I'm actually curious as to what they had to do to fix it...

EDIT: Well after some testing, with other games and stuff, I finally tried to run Smash...and the error popped up again...

The console came exactly the same as it was when I sent it for repairs, with installed games, saves, messages, files, settings and all that stuff. I was a bit skeptical at first, usually with issues like these the manufactures have to change or delete some setting or corrupt data so the system can operate normally again. No note or repair came from Nintendo, just a paper with the exact problem I stated when I sent it written on it. In almost a month, they did absolutely nothing :/

I can honestly say that Nintendo's customer service is, without a doubt, the absolute worst i've ever seen. But this will not end here, since the retailer gave a final day of warranty i'll go there again and i'm gonna run wild. Even if I have to call Nintendo directly and demand them a new system, and a data transfer. I don't care...

Last edited:

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
So I got my Wii U back today. Turns out that Nintendo had originally proposed a 4-6 week turnaround period, but they got it to me the day of Christmas Eve. It looks like they sent me a brand new Wii U (with my Mii/game data transferred). All I need to do is redownload all of the games that I had purchased. Quite a quick turnaround time, I must say.

I think at this point I am going to refrain from playing Wii U until I back up all of my game data to an external hard drive.

LifeCarrier

Smash Rookie
I hope this lack of posts in a while means no new issues have surfaced.

A quick update on my part, mine was a digital copy, nothing I tried could fix the issue, anytime someone picked Sheik, Samus, ZSS, Sonic or Shulk my game would crash and show the error screen, I was able to try a physical copy from a friend and it worked properly on my system, so I called Nintendo and they agreed to send one to me.

So if you're on my situation you could try that, who knows, maybe digital copies work properly on systems whose physical copy turns out faulty somehow...though that seems more unlikely as in my case what was corrupt was the game file hence loading those characters from the disk was able to go around the problem.

KING PIG

Smash Rookie
got update data 1.0.2 also running 5.3.2 still scared of this nasty bug

details here http:// en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13305/~/how-to-update-super-smash-bros.-for-wii-u

is it fixed plz reply

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I dont know.

However, it seems it was fixed in the update that followed right next to the one of MK8.

The update has been for a week now and they haven't been any reports of the error happening again.

Raging_Zoroark

Smash Rookie
I live in Brazil, so I can't send mi WiiU to Nintendo for repairs. I guess there's no way for me fixing this problem.

Do you guys know if there's a way to make WiiU to only read an external HD? I mean, my Wii Fit U get the error code because of a corrupted uptade file that I can't delete or move. If there's a way to make the console only read an external HD that doesn't have this file, maybe that could be a temporary solution?

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Unfortunately, I don't own an external hard drive. There is no way for me to test that.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
I just called and I'm good to ship and get repaired for free. Still a drag though. The only reason I bought a Wii U and I can't even play it correctly. I was even a victim of the Super Smash Brothers Brawl problem with Wii's not being able to read Dual Layered Discs correctly. Unlucky Probs.
Wow,that is so harsh,i feel bad for you

Has it beem confirmed yet on what the 5.3.2 update did and if it fixed this problem?
It does not fix the problem

Last edited by a moderator:

JaredK22

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jrdkilr22
3DS FC
2664-2858-9403
Switch FC
SW-1079-9038-3317
Did the 1.0.2 update fix the error? Nobody has mentioned it yet.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Did the 1.0.2 update fix the error? Nobody has mentioned it yet.
The issue of more than likely a hardware issue. If you call Nintendo support they can give you the steps to get your console fixed. There has been no news or statements given by Nintendo, however they will fix your console even if it's no longer under warrantee and it hasn't been modded in any way.

My theory is that the update simply prevents the issue, and since it is more than likely a hardware issue, it needs physical maintenance.

Give Nintendo Tech Support a call, DO NOT format your systems, and Nintendo will help you out.

Last edited:

JaredK22

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jrdkilr22
3DS FC
2664-2858-9403
Switch FC
SW-1079-9038-3317
The issue of more than likely a hardware issue. If you call Nintendo support they can give you the steps to get your console fixed. There has been no news or statements given by Nintendo, however they will fix your console even if it's no longer under warrantee and it hasn't been modded in any way.

My theory is that the update simply prevents the issue, and since it is more than likely a hardware issue, it needs physical maintenance.

Give Nintendo Tech Support a call, DO NOT format your systems, and Nintendo will help you out.
Oh cool! :p So it does help the issue. I didn't get the error yet though so lucky me!

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Oh cool! :p So it does help the issue. I didn't get the error yet though so lucky me!
Yeah, from my understanding the new update helps the stability of the game, I think it is in the patch notes.

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
this is a really big problem for me. i just got a pikachu amiibo for my bday! i want ssb4 but i just got my wii u for xmas... i also have pokemon rumble u and mario... i cant use pikachu (or thorachu) for anything... i wish we knew more about this error code... i call it a glitch! it messes up every gamer's life! i wrote this on my precious wii u... wii u if i mess you up i am sorry but should i take the risk? i dont play online much exept on just dance 2015 and minecraft... i also post to miiverse... i dont have a sd card for my wii u all mine were used on my 3DS.... (rip cat city and jewel...) my 3DS is messed up (charger port of all things) so ssb3DS isnt a option. should i take the risk or no? i cant spend $100 for my wii u to get fixed up.... ive never messed up anything from nintendo i usually just do bad jobs on downloading stuff lol... if anyone has any idea how to fix this without bricking the system please let me know :(

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Wait. What system version are you using of the wii u?

The thing that was causing the bug was supposedly fixed by the 5.4 something update. But the update supposedly just prevents the bug from happening, not fixing it.

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
i read a post that said it was happening with other games so here are the ones i have both digital and physical

just dance 2015 (physical, i have used online)
scribblenauts unlimited (physical, i have used online)
super mario 3D world (physical, i used miiverse)
nintendo land (physical, i used miiverse)
disney infinity (barely played it couldn't figure it out)

then my digitals

pokemon rumble (i used miiverse)
super mario (virtual console)
amiibo tap! nintendo's greatest bits (lol my little cousin said that haha, only accessed the eshop from there)
netflix (i have a account)
amazon (i have an account
wii u chat (never chatted with someone)

Top Bottom