• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Error 86420 - Online

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
My Original Issue:
Hi there,
I've recently been attempting to use the online Project M servers that are hosted independently.
I've hooked everything up correctly and have access to the servers. i can exchange my friend code and input other's codes.
My problem however is that for the majority of the time, when i go to join a game, it will load for a while and then disconnect me with the error code: 86420.
I cant call nintendo as they've shut down their servers and their page for the error code has taken down the solution and instead has a link to their wifi-shut-down.
I've managed to play with two people - both of which had extreme lag. It is not however due to my internet speed - i have cross referenced this with one of the other players who said that my connection should be working fine.

I've tried turning off my firewall to no avail
The other information i have gathered on this instructs me to give the wii a static ip (which i believe i have done according to a guide) and to then give access to ports on my virtual servers through the router and the DMZ section.
I don't know if im doing this incorrectly and thats why this isnt working or if there is another issue.

Please help, i'd really like to have this working - i've already put in a lot of effort to get the online functionality up in the first place.

Thank you in advance!

Solution:

Okay guys, so i fixed the issue, i think this is a universal solve for online error 86420 on the wii (i dont think its the same for wiiu).

I will go through the steps i was told to do and it should resolve the issue.

Summary:

1. - Set a static IP for your wii
2. - Access your router
3. - Porting forward

Explanation:
Basically, this error code, and others like it all stem from errors connecting to the server, i cant remember the specific numbers, but there is a set of nintendo codes that apply to this. (i think its something like all error code 80000+ are for internet errors). To fix this issue we have to tell your router that the wii is allowed to access other servers and has the permissions to do so.

1. The first step is to set a static IP address for your wii:
We do this so your router knows which computer (console etc) to port the permissions forward to when we get to that.

Here is the step by step for that:
http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-wii.htm

Basically, find the IP address of your router, plug it into your wii connection settings of it as the guide tells you and change the last set of numbers to something out of its current IP range.
(so if its 192.168.0.1 you want to change it to 192.168.0.120. However, if your ip is 192.168.0.120, u have to change it to 192.168.0.1 (or something of a similar nature)) You then have to obtain your primary and secondary DNS Server codes (Call your ISP or login to your account on their website and they will probably have them there under settings)
Follow the step by step, its pretty cohesive.
This is so your router doesnt get confused between devices on your connection.

2. Next you want to access your router:
This part can get a little confusing, so make sure you take it slowly and carefully.
Now we need to look up your device via this site: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
First, pick the brand of your router from the list, then the model number (on the bottom of the router), then look for 'Nintendo Wi-fi'.
It will then have a step by step guide on how to apply the port forwards for your specific router.
If those options aren't there, you'll need to use the user guide specific to your router to find out how to apply forwards.

3. Porting Forwards:

Okay, so if you've followed till now, you should know how to access your router & how to port forwards from the guide.
We need to port these through:

443, 3074, (From the portforward guide) & 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920 and 80, (From this wiki: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Nintendo_Wi-Fi_Connection#Wii_Port_Forwarding_-_Ports)

You can name these ports whatever your like, the inbound and outbound port should be the same, all with tcp & the Static ip address of the wii (the one u made in the first step).

You then need to port one more code through:
Port forwards '1-65535' udp with the static ip from your wii.

This is how it should look specific for these ports (atleast how it worked for me):
Make sure you enable them!

Follow all of this correctly and you should be sweet to play online without error 86420.
Still laggy for me at some times, but you cant solve that unless you play local.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi there,
I've recently been attempting to use the online Project M servers that are hosted independently.
I've hooked everything up correctly and have access to the servers. i can exchange my friend code and input other's codes.
My problem however is that for the majority of the time, when i go to join a game, it will load for a while and then disconnect me with the error code: 86420.
I cant call nintendo as they've shut down their servers and their page for the error code has taken down the solution and instead has a link to their wifi-shut-down.
I've managed to play with two people - both of which had extreme lag. It is not however due to my internet speed - i have cross referenced this with one of the other players who said that my connection should be working fine.

I've tried turning off my firewall to no avail
The other information i have gathered on this instructs me to give the wii a static ip (which i believe i have done according to a guide) and to then give access to ports on my virtual servers through the router and the DMZ section.
I don't know if im doing this incorrectly and thats why this isnt working or if there is another issue.

Please help, i'd really like to have this working - i've already put in a lot of effort to get the online functionality up in the first place.

Thank you in advance!
I frequent the Wifi Friend Code Thread, and I too have that problem. No one really seems to know why that is and what causes it. It isn't based on location either because there isn't any correlation between who I can't play and where they are. I've played a player from Canada and I'm from South Texas. I just visit the thread, hope to find matches, and who's lucky enough to connect to me. Just letting you know you aren't the only one. I'll be looking for a solution as well. Sorry for the tl:dr. Lol

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, im yet to actually do it and solve the issue - but my cousins husband is a techy and he told me its a porting and permissions issue, he sent me a step by step to fix it, so il try that out in a few days when i have some time and if it works il post it here ^.

Top Bottom