• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Erroneously Conflating Chess Strategies with Robin Techniques - The Thread

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Googled "Fire Emblem Chess" and found this. Mildly relevant.

With all the hype surrounding the series of buffs Robin received in the most recent patch (v1.1.0), many Robin players among the Smashboards ranks (and files!) have taken to calling Robin's new dthrow+uair kill setup the Checkmate Combo. Since I'm all about the Robin-as-chessmaster motif, this got my brain thinkin'-- what other Robin techniques can (and, indeed, should!) be referred to using vaguely related chess terminology? My suggestions can be found below.

Catching an opponent out of a roll behind you with a fsmash or dsmash could be considered an En Passant. Grabbing an opponent out of a roll or tech could be considered Discovered Check.

Converting out of an arcthunder or arcfire trap with an unexpected move (e.g. Nosferatu, another arcfire) before attacking with an aerial is a Zwischenzug. If the trap converts into a grab, this is considered a Zwischen-check (which can then be followed up with a checkmate combo, naturally).

Against an opponent without strong options at-range, having a fully charged Thoron puts them in a very dangerous position and may force a Zugzwang situation. (Just as in chess, the Smash 4 Robin Zuzwang is also common in the endgame)

In doubles, keeping one opponent stuck in place with arcthunder, arcfire, or Nosferatu to allow your partner to concentrate on the other is a Pin. Separating both opponents with a well-spaced nair is a Fork. Catching both in the same Thoron is a Skewer.

Ending a stock early with offstage pressure or an early Elwind spike is called a Fool's Mate. Similarly, going too deep offstage to secure a kill is considered a Sacrifice.

Getting that sweet, sweet KO from a hard tossed tome can only be called a Scholar's Mate.

If ever you've found yourself dabbling in For Glory strats and rolling more than twice in a row, you're obliged to self destruct due to Threefold Repetition. If only this rule could apply to Sheik players with fair or Ness players with PK Fire...

More suggestions are welcome. Come-- let us grow Robin's metagame in form if not in function!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Though these are neat, I don't think (and don't think we should try to make) any of these catch on, haha.

It'd come off as pretentious at best, I think, especially because at least Checkmate is rooted in one of her actual winquotes.

Top Bottom