• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 2 - Paris - 23 & 24 February 2008 - Up to 256 Players !

Samochan

Smash Master
You guys are messing with my budjet...

45 € when paying at the venue... >_>;; Make sure you're gonna arrange good online paying possibilities then. :p Oh and I wonder that fixed cash prize... do you mean the sponsor actually pays the winners that sum of munny + some money from the entry fees? O_o

Slhoka

Smash Lord
You guys are messing with my budjet...

45 € when paying at the venue... >_>;; Make sure you're gonna arrange good online paying possibilities then. :p Oh and I wonder that fixed cash prize... do you mean the sponsor actually pays the winners that sum of munny + some money from the entry fees? O_o
No, of course. It's just that they're sure to have enough people to offer such cash prizes ;)

And you're right, Helios, FCD was the biggest with 250+. I don't know the exact amount of players, though.

Cort

Apple Head
Maybe I'm over estimating the amount of people capable of attending this tournament since it's Europe

but I think it could very well become the biggest one yet

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'm wondering the same thing as Exalador.
Are these the minimum prizes, or just estimations?
*remembers ESA1*
May I remind you that ESA1's cash prize went down because of many people flaking, including you ?
Actually, if 100 people out of the 200 registered decide to flake, the cash prize may be a bit lower...

Now that I've explained that the cash prize is proportional to the amount of people attending the tournament, I'm happy to tell you that this rule won't apply here. The cash prizes listed above are the minimal cash prize.
In fact, I think they'll probably be a bit higher, but I can't promise anything. And anyway, unless we have a massive amount of money available, I'll be against higher cash prizes if the organisation and playing conditions aren't perfect (= amount of TVs, good and enough food (and not just enough)).

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
May I remind you that ESA1's cash prize went down because of many people flaking, including you ?
Actually, if 100 people out of the 200 registered decide to flake, the cash prize may be a bit lower...
No offence, but they were not just a bit lower, they were a lot lower. The estimated prizes
were about 8 times bigger than they in the end were. So I'd call that a calculation error, nothing more. As I heard the first prize in singles was 300 €, and the estimated one was 2400€.

Quote from the ESA1 thread:
Possible cash prizes
Single :

1st : 2400 €
2nd : 1100 €
3rd : 300 €
4 : 100 €
5 : 50 €
6 : 50 €

Double :

1st team : 1000 €
2nd team : 350 €
3rd team : 150 €

Crew :

1st crew : 1000 €
2nd crew : 350 €
3rd crew : 150 €
I'm not putting this in to be an arsehole or something, I'm just saying that it's not strange that people put a question mark on the estimated prizes.

I still heard that the tourney was ran PRETTY WELL, and some said that it was the best tourney they've ever been to, including Amsah. And that is the most important thing! :)

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree whole-heartedly with Tonberry here, on all accounts.
Just saying it should be made clear whether these are just estimations, or actual minimum prizes.

Let's say "only" (:p) 100 people show up, would you still pay out €1500 to the winner?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
No offence, but they were not just a bit lower, they were a lot lower. The estimated prizes
were about 8 times bigger than they in the end were. So I'd call that a calculation error, nothing more. As I heard the first prize in singles was 300 €, and the estimated one was 2400€.

Quote from the ESA1 thread:

I'm not putting this in to be an arsehole or something, I'm just saying that it's not strange that people put a question mark on the estimated prizes.

I still heard that the tourney was ran PRETTY WELL, and some said that it was the best tourney they've ever been to, including Amsah. And that is the most important thing! :)
I was ironic. The cash prizes in your quote were the possible cash prizes, only with 200 people attending. Then, 150 people confirmed they would come. And in the last week, we noticed that many frenchies would flake, but not as much as the reality. I remember receiving a call from Poilon on thursday's night, telling we would have about 125 people. Which means that except for the food which was bought on saturday, the organisation cost was planned for 125 people attending, not the 9x people who came. It wasn't a problem for the tourney itself, since we had enough entry fees for the organisation costs. But the cash prize was lowered, because about 1000€ were missing, in comparison to our expectation.
Well anyway. What I mean is that the price of a tournament can't be lowered in the last minute, especially when you rent TVs like we did. The only thing you can change is the cash prize. And that why he was so much lowered. So if the 100 foreigners you are stick to their plans and come, as well as the 110 Frenchies or something like that... not only the cash prize will be the one announced, but it will even be higher.

Helios : First, there won't be "only" 100 people, for the simple reason that about 130/140 of them already paid either their plane/train tickets or their entry fee. But anyway, after a discussion with Poilon, I can say that we are sure to have these cash prizes. Even if something like 100 people come.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thank you, that's all I wanted to know =)

Sorry to say, but I suck too much at smash now to be able to compete for first prize tho =/

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
Helios, there are billions of other reasons to come to ESA 2, just pick one or 2 that suit you, and come !!!! you like this game deep in your heart, and you like travelling, and you like smashers, and you probably like Paris (cuz Paris rocks !) and you like you-know-what with Luma and me ^^ etc...
oh well, I'll see you at gulner soon anyway XD.

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to know what the venue looks like, did a little research and found THIS VIEO on the EPITA-website.
It's in french and appearently doesnt feature the actual venue but nonetheless the location seems to be pretty cool. Really looking forward to this :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I wanted to know what the venue looks like, did a little research and found THIS VIEO on the EPITA-website.
It's in french and appearently doesnt feature the actual venue but nonetheless the location seems to be pretty cool. Really looking forward to this :)
The venue is the second location shown in this movie, in the last 2 mn (when a guy named "Romain I-forgot-his-name" is shown. It's the big blue building. The empty room with many chairs and tables is the room where people wil sleep. Then, the guy goes in the upper floors : we'll be in the 2nd one, the one with red lights. We can't see it on the video, but there are some little lights on both sides of the floor, it's quite funny ^^
And about the rooms we'll use, well... they're just classrooms ;)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Some news !
We made our decision about how many attendents we'll allow : the limit will be at 256 people, because we won't have time otherwise. Well, we may change our mind in a few day if a lot of people still wanna come, but for now, we'll stop at 256 players.

So, it means that those who aren't confirmed can validate (but only if you have your tickets).
You will also be able to validate by paying in advance as soon as the online payment system will be ready (in a few days, I guess).

Edit : ah and also, good news for Link fans and the french crew : niam's school trip in Ireland has been cancelled, so he'll be attending the tournament =)

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
Some news !
We made our decision about how many attendents we'll allow : the limit will be at 256 people, because we won't have time otherwise. Well, we may change our mind in a few day if a lot of people still wanna come, but for now, we'll stop at 256 players.

So, it means that those who aren't confirmed can validate (but only if you have your tickets).
You will also be able to validate by paying in advance as soon as the online payment system will be ready (in a few days, I guess).

256 players is amount, have you organisators considered to apply the mages rules? I highly doubt the tournament will finfish in the scheduled time otherwise.

(The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
2 Minutes Late � Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late � Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late � Loss of set)

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Some news !

Edit : ah and also, good news for Link fans and the french crew : niam's school trip in Ireland has been cancelled, so he'll be attending the tournament =)
Why is that good news for the French crew? It's not like you'll beat either Holland or Sweden anyway ^^

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Nobody validated its assistance in the last week?
210 yet...
A few frenchies confirmed.
And I hope some foreigners will do the same now that the inscription are re-opened.
BTW, I didn't validate some people who posted here recently (Till for instance). Can those people tell me if they're sure to come ?

And also, I found a short video showing one of the rooms of the venue.

Top Bottom