• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EMG Presents : Top 10 SOPO Plays

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

The Ice Climbers, Popo in blue and Nana in pink, were introduced in the 1985 NES game Ice Climber in which they scaled great mountains in an attempt to rescue their stolen vegetables from a great condor. The duo was introduced as a new playable character in Super Smash Bros Melee. The player controls both climbers at the same time, with Popo being the main controllable character and Nana being an AI who copies Popo's moves. That being said, it is possible for an opponent to separate the two climbers and attack each one individually. If Nana gets KOed, Popo can still continue the fight solo.

Speaking of solo Popo, or SOPO for short, Even Matchup Gaming has compiled their Top 10 moments in which the little blue climber had to bring the pain all by himself.

Check out Even Matchup Gaming's YouTube channel for more great Smash Bros content.
Also, be sure to follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Twitch.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and really misses the Ice Climbers. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't miss the Ice Climbers at all. Never liked them anyways.

I do miss Snake and Wolf though.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Everyone always laughs when I pick Sopo in PM. Soon they will learn.

Empulsion

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-3325-3015
Awesome, just awesome. Most of it was nintendo dude or armada. I learn so much watching players like that and their spacing

Shaowz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Epikshaowz
3DS FC
4313-5214-1437
oooooh if only they were brought back.... But that brawl gameplay smh he got rekt

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Wow, Brawl looked like Melee in that Diddy match :troll:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
What i hate with IC is that they make the duo with the intent to be below average, and the solo with intent to be the worst. The only way Ice Climbers are gonna not be terrible without chaingrabs or 0-deaths is if they're made with the intent of being broken as a duo (Brawl -, even then they're the worst in Brawl -).

The amount of skill it takes to do those is massive, though. It makes Popo-only comebacks that much better when you think of how he suffers with a way of doing anything.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Poor silentwolf is never on the good end of famous smash moments.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
I don't miss the Ice Climbers at all. Never liked them anyways.

I do miss Snake and Wolf though.
I know, right? Ice Climbers were fun and unique to play as in Melee, but they got boring in Brawl and Project M. But for serious play? Ice Climbers were good at Wobbling and being a two-in-one character. So they're good for being cheap with their ridiculous chaingrab and 2v1 matches.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Just replace Nana with a Pteradactyl Up-B, and after some balance tweaks we'd be in business!
Yeah, they totally could've just had a solo Ice Climber if that was gonna be an issue for the 3DS version. It might not be the same but at least they wouldn't be completely gone like they are now.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Curse you 3DS! Thanks to you, we can't see the wrath of Popo when his opponent kills Nana....in HD.

Top Bottom