• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elsword

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
What the heck is Elsword? Take Smash bros, give it to a Korean company and have them make an MMO out of it. Kind of.

Watch the video that instantly got me hooked:

(Please note video slightly outdated, there are 8 characters on the NA version now)

"Sweet spicy tamales Warchamp, that looks hot. What's it gonna cost me?"

This is a 100% free to play game that doesn't blow chunks, and an MMO at that. PvE gameplay revolves around running dungeons in groups of up to 4 people to complete quests and such and beating the crap out of monsters. Get loot, etc. The usual RPG stuff. PvP involves beating the life out of each other, duh.

The only things that cost money are cosmetic items, and "convenience things".

"Convenience things":

- Each character has four locked skills that have to be unlocked by completing a chain of side quests, which usually involve horrible drop rates. They're kind of a pain, and you can pay like $2 for an item that instantly unlocks the skill for that character. These skills are typically a bit better for PvP, but you can always live without them.

- Inventory space is limited, and you can buy more slots. I've been playing for over a year and the default inventory space has never really been a problem for me. Inconvenient at worst.

- You have 3 slots for consumables during dungeons that can replenish your health/mana, or give buffs or something. Can unlock it to 6 for a character via a paid item. Most replenishables are on a shared cooldown, so again it's a pretty non issue.

- You have four ability slots, and can pay to unlock a second row of 4 skills that you toggle between during play. Only really useful for a couple characters, and primarily for PvP in those cases. Not really necessary.

- If you die in a dungeon, you need to use a resurrection stone to revive, or wait for your party to finish it. Quest progress won't count if you're dead when the dungeon ends (For completion quests). If everyone dies and doesn't revive, the dungeon ends. Your character starts with 9 stones and that counter gets reset to 3 every day if you have less than 3. Non issue.

Problems with the game

Pretty minor gripes all things considered. In fact, I only have one real one.

- Stamina system. Your characters have 100% stamina which gets consumed when you play dungeons. It consumes less the more people you have in your party. When you hit 0% stamina, you can't play dungeons anymore. It gets reset to 100% each day. You might think this is a way that they milk money from you, but you'd be wrong. Stamina can't be purchased in any way, not with in-game money or real money. There are a couple ways to get 30% Stamina potions, but you can't get the tokens or the item itself in trades. Stamina is also unlimited on weekends.

- Prices. While cosmetics and above mentioned convenience things are the only paid part of the game, the prices can be a bit steep. When it comes to cosmetics, you have two choices. Buy the item for 30 days, and then it disappears forever, or buy it permanently. Permanent cosmetics cost double, and to completely outfit your character (Minus accessories) in a permanent outfit, it's about $25-$30. Still, if you have two characters, that's basically retail game price, and that's pretty damn good for an MMO, which is usually that plus a subscription.

If none of that made you think you'd hate this, and/or you like sidescrollers and/or beat 'em up games, definitely give this a try.

Website here: http://www.elswordonline.com/. Steam version here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/237310/

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Looks crazy, sorta like MvC, I have registered and also will give it a try at some stage tonight/tomorrow/next year.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Plays like smash bros? Guess i'll give it a whirl tomorrow.
ish. It's kind of like an in-between of Street Fighter and Smash, since you have a couple moves and some fixed combos, but your movement is not as locked down as SF and more similar to Smash.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Wow, this was posted today. I got into this game for a short while, and I thought it was ok, but my current windows computer sucks. -_- Things got pretty laggy in towns/fields, the only thing I could play with a good frame rate is 1v1 PvP. Gonna get laughed at for this, but I hope it'll work for mac eventually (doubt it) since it's the only most powerful computer I have in the house to play league, and don't give me that bootcamp stuff.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Wow, this was posted today. I got into this game for a short while, and I thought it was ok, but my current windows computer sucks. -_- Things got pretty laggy in towns/fields, the only thing I could play with a good frame rate is 1v1 PvP. Gonna get laughed at for this, but I hope it'll work for mac eventually (doubt it) since it's the only most powerful computer I have in the house to play league, and don't give me that bootcamp stuff.
well that escalated quickly

Don't worry, we won't judge you if you use a Mac.

Probably. :troll:

Anyway, I just read its tvtropes page. Totes gonna use the healer chick and be all "IM SAVING YOU" etc

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Oh, yeah. She has one move that can heal. I use it. It's not crazy good or anything, so I think that adds to your goal.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I've seen ads for this before.
Is it good? I'm not a huge MMORPG fan...
It's free so I don't see what you have to lose. :)
Oh, yeah. She has one move that can heal. I use it. It's not crazy good or anything, so I think that adds to your goal.
A game of this nature seems like it would be a bad idea to have lots of healing, since moves in PvE can be dodged and healing fundamentally is broken in PvP (Roll from Tatsunoko vs Capcom could heal herself and others which was infinite lulz and really, really, really broken with the right partners).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's free so I don't see what you have to lose. :)
I guess, but just curious.
Can it still be interesting even with stuff like level farming (or other tedious work)?
Which is one of my problems with most RPGs. And why I don't really play a ton of MMORPGs.

Another thing is if it's one of those "buy to win" kind of games (the ones where you pay money for very overpowered weapons)?

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I guess, but just curious.
Can it still be interesting even with stuff like level farming (or other tedious work)?
Which is one of my problems with most RPGs. And why I don't really play a ton of MMORPGs.

Another thing is if it's one of those "buy to win" kind of games (the ones where you pay money for very overpowered weapons)?
I don't think you'll find an MMORPG that isn't grindy. You can pay money to make things less grindy. Can't pay for power.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't think you'll find an MMORPG that isn't grindy. You can pay money to make things less grindy. Can't pay for power.
I understand, but is it in a way where it can get tedious?
I understand in a RPG, grinding is inevitable. But is it in a way that can get boring?

Despite this, I do get the idea. A platform fighter beat-em-up with RPG elements (kinda like Maplestory).
I've played a game with a similar concept (River City Ransom) and I liked it. So I'll look into it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Started playing, thought the cel-shading looked very jaggy so I tinkered with my graphics card settings to make it anti-alias it, and it looks about 10x better.

If anyone has NVIDIA cards, I could probs help yew do it too--it's very simple. I don't know how you'd do it with any other graphics cards though.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
apparently someone/thing called "Wind Sneaker" but I might be misinterpreting the article or actual strength of the heals.

iunno, I think it's Rena.
That's Rena's more offensive/combo oriented class but she does learn a buff around level 55 that somewhat heals.

I've been playing this for awhile now with my Girlfriend (who got me into it) It's pretty addicting and I could help with some questions here. I don't play it religiously but I'm A Rank in PVP and I know my way around it if anyone is curious getting into it.

Be warned, the community fares from surprisingly nice to completely immature, but PVP is the worst offender of this. Don't go into PVP thinking it plays like dungeons.

I understand, but is it in a way where it can get tedious?
I understand in a RPG, grinding is inevitable. But is it in a way that can get boring?

Despite this, I do get the idea. A platform fighter beat-em-up with RPG elements (kinda like Maplestory).
I've played a game with a similar concept (River City Ransom) and I liked it. So I'll look into it.
Grinding at first is pretty easy, and you shouldn't have a problem getting your first job change (I'd say you could probably reach level 25 in about 4 hours maybe?) but afterwards the EXP requirement drastically starts increasing. I would say it gets pretty tiring once you get into the higher levels, but it's not impossible.

1. Don't skip the story quests, they offer additional EXP. If you unlock another dungeon, don't jump straight into it, as it doesn't offer any more EXP than the previous dungeon before you. You get more EXP for doing dungeons that are close to your level, and even in some situations, you cannot get any EXP at all if you're too underleveled or overleveled.

2. Play with a party when doing PvE. There's a party EXP bonus that will make both dungeons and grinding easier.

2a. Alternatively, join a guild and do Field Grinding. There's certain skills for guilds that allow perks depending on how the GM invests in them, and of them is something called Warrior's Spirit*. This gives you about a ~5% EXP Boost for each party member that is in your guild, and since Field grinding cost less stamina than doing PvE, it's worth doing.

2b. You can also play PVP, but the amount of EXP you get isn't comparable to the amount you would get from doing PvE. If you have a 50% EXP Boost Medal (which you can get from the store for about 120 K-Ching for 1 day) it would substantially help, seeing how you're still allowed to play PVP if you run out of stamina for the day (which resets at 3 AM and there is unlimited stamina on weekends).​

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
That's Rena's more offensive/combo oriented class but she does learn a buff around level 55 that somewhat heals.

I've been playing this for awhile now with my Girlfriend (who got me into it) It's pretty addicting and I could help with some questions here. I don't play it religiously but I'm A Rank in PVP and I know my way around it if anyone is curious getting into it.

Be warned, the community fares from surprisingly nice to completely immature, but PVP is the worst offender of this. Don't go into PVP thinking it plays like PvE.
fascinating. PvP always scares me. lel

She has an ability called Aero Tornado how excellent, I must have this.

Also zzzzzzz emergency maintenance, guess I'll play some more tomorrow. (I'm like, level 8 atm going onto some bridge)

suddenly merge

DOES EVERYONE PLAY ON THE MAIN SOLSTICE SERVER OR W/E ITS CALLED CAPS

Also Raven is hawt. And a badass.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
fascinating. PvP always scares me. lel

She has an ability called Aero Tornado how excellent, I must have this.

Also zzzzzzz emergency maintenance, guess I'll play some more tomorrow. (I'm like, level 8 atm going onto some bridge)

suddenly merge
She also gets a move early on called Phoenix Strike that basically covers the whole screen and lasts for about 10 seconds even hitting monsters off-screen and it's very useful during dungeons due to it's power and range, but later on you'll be more likely to use her other skills to take out bosses.

Also IMO Rail Stinger > Aero Tornado but I don't even use Rail Stinger anymore and you might find yourself in the same situation where you invest a lot of SP into a skill but find one that's better later down the line (you can reset skills completely with an item or even reset specific skills with another item).

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
She also gets a move early on called Phoenix Strike that basically covers the whole screen and lasts for about 10 seconds even hitting monsters off-screen and it's very useful during dungeons due to it's power and range, but later on you'll be more likely to use her other skills to take out bosses.

Also IMO Rail Stinger > Aero Tornado but I don't even use Rail Stinger anymore and you might find yourself in the same situation where you invest a lot of SP into a skill but find one that's better later down the line (you can reset skills completely with an item or even reset specific skills with another item).
Haha, well I've already gotten to the point; I put heaps of points into her backflip 3 shot bow attack but her close range assault kick skill does like, 5000 damage (more if it crits) so it's like, "well ****, I have no reason to use that other one wtf"

Gonna play some more tomorrow after work~

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Whelp i had a feeling that the archer class was gonna be female. And the 2nd class i like to run is also female (the martial artist). Now i'm gonna look like some guy who likes playing as females. And none of the male characters are classes i like to play ._.; Ah well, i'll deal

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Started playing, thought the cel-shading looked very jaggy so I tinkered with my graphics card settings to make it anti-alias it, and it looks about 10x better.

If anyone has NVIDIA cards, I could probs help yew do it too--it's very simple. I don't know how you'd do it with any other graphics cards though.
I force anti-aliasing as well. Really looks a ton better.

I recommend looking up a skill guide because if you butcher your skills, your choices are remake your character or drop like $20 to reset your points. Or just hope for an event that gives you a skill reset.

Whelp i had a feeling that the archer class was gonna be female. And the 2nd class i like to run is also female (the martial artist). Now i'm gonna look like some guy who likes playing as females. And none of the male characters are classes i like to play ._.; Ah well, i'll deal
Boo hoo

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Being an archer is somewhat hard on a platformer lol. My main gripe is how my standard bow combo flips me backwards causing me to fall of ledges most of the time =_= i'm an archer who just kicks mainly....

Anyone who feels like adding me: Zalzala

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I force anti-aliasing as well. Really looks a ton better.

I recommend looking up a skill guide because if you butcher your skills, your choices are remake your character or drop like $20 to reset your points. Or just hope for an event that gives you a skill reset.
I looked up a skilling guide and was just like... I have no idea what I'm reading, so I think I'll just figure it out as I go along. Shouldn't be too hard, I've played League, WoW, Dota and Etrian Odyssey so...

Being an archer is somewhat hard on a platformer lol. My main gripe is how my standard bow combo flips me backwards causing me to fall of ledges most of the time =_= i'm an archer who just kicks mainly....

Anyone who feels like adding me: Zalzala
I'LL ADD YOU IF I CAN FIGURE IT OUT.

Tag: Aerodrome

(for anyone else who wants to add me)

Edit: Rena moves faster in the air, which is infinite lulz

Edit 2: is it possible to solo all the dungeons? I just did one on very hard, and was curious. I don't like queing up with people who aren't my friends because often I just end up trolling them (In WoW I just aggro and tag everything, in League I pick AP Caitlyn support etc) and my friends tend to not mind this, but everyone else does.

Edit 3: I'm such a moron, it's on steam.

Why didn't I just get it on steam-- zzzzzzzzz

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I dunno how to queue for a solo dungeon when going for very hard difficultly, would be nice to know if possible

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Steam one uses your account still, so you can just grab it if you want

I dunno how to queue for a solo dungeon when going for very hard difficultly, would be nice to know if possible
Hit 'Start with current members'

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Steam one uses your account still, so you can just grab it if you want
wait so it the whole thing on one server? err... wrong way of putting that.

Like, cross console compatibility except not on a console.

zzzz *plays more until can get steam working again*

Edit: I JUST SAW USSI WALKING AROUND

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Considering there are 8 channels to pick from, its pretty funny we ran into each other.

I've started to get a hang of the game... I'm going full out sniper rena, although ew my hair is blonde now. Green hair back pls

Does PvE pick up in difficulty eventually? Cause right now its just mashing the Z button to kick the mobs in an infinite combo

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It was glorious. Also lol at you getting a marriage proposal. I should do that irl one day and just propose to random people on the street. regardless of gender

ALSO I AM SO ****ING GOOD AT THIS GAME (i think)

upload_2014-2-21_17-25-5.png

wow such technical score, very aero

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Considering there are 8 channels to pick from, its pretty funny we ran into each other.

I've started to get a hang of the game... I'm going full out sniper rena, although ew my hair is blonde now. Green hair back pls

Does PvE pick up in difficulty eventually? Cause right now its just mashing the Z button to kick the mobs in an infinite combo
12 channels :p

Earlier dungeons are definitely easier. Death is quite possible as you move into the later stages.

ALSO I AM SO ****ING GOOD AT THIS GAME (i think)

wow such technical score, very aero
So good, nice non widescreen resolution.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've been sent into dungeons solo after queueing into them due to some people lagging out. Man they are tense in very hard >_> took me 17 min to beat richie mines on very hard at level 29 as Sniper Rena. Super armor (mini-)bosses make me sad when i'm solo :[

Also, getting purple weapon for other classes when i still have 32 hours before i can trade ;-;

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So good, nice non widescreen resolution.
I don't know if you are scolding me for not having widescreen or not. All I know is that I prefer the non-widescreen look >:[
I've been sent into dungeons solo after queueing into them due to some people lagging out. Man they are tense in very hard >_> took me 17 min to beat richie mines on very hard at level 29 as Sniper Rena. Super armor (mini-)bosses make me sad when i'm solo :[
welp, sounds like you found a case of "careful what you wish for", ehhhhh? Heh.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So just encountered the first hard boss i would say (when everyone is at the level) first time i saw someone die in a dungeon too.. Altera core is no joke

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So just encountered the first hard boss i would say (when everyone is at the level) first time i saw someone die in a dungeon too.. Altera core is no joke
I'm still level 15. =P

I should fix this by playing some more

What level are yew bro.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Level 38 atm kinda bleh cause i can't buy any good gear due to the 3 day rule =_= Been spending the last 4 hours doing my Grand Archer class change -____- The last requirement is just stupid

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I had my first death vs William Kobul or w/e it is.

Do Res Stones cost money to buy? I just used one anyway, lel

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I had my first death vs William Kobul or w/e it is.

Do Res Stones cost money to buy? I just used one anyway, lel
Can't buy them, you start with 9 and it gets reset to 3 each day (if you have less than 3)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've started to die a lot mainly due to still using my level 24 armor and weapon while being level 41 lol, i have my 40 armor set now but i just don't have the materials to craft them to purple

Last edited:
Top Bottom