• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Just popping in for a moment to say happy 1,000 posts, B.L.A.D.Es! Keep fighting the good fight!

Here's some fanart that I've gathered up to celebrate.

Lin and Cross congratulating Elma for making it into Smash ;)
tumblr_o4m1nh9b4e1rexsk5o1_1280.png

Glasses are great and so is Elma. You do the math.
cf444c9b86da80c17c8aaa052d15f8db.jpg

A Fire Emblem Awakening style "confession" screen. Elma is best S-Support.
35152e14-7a5a-43fb-a8e9-4955b04edf32.jpg

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
From Samus in her Justin Bailey
Well, yes...but it was the 80s and people didn't bat an eye, and it's kinda fruitless to complain about it now.
Zero Suit
Sometimes, it needs to be skin tight but rocket heels is a bit off, and it's not like Other M was free from criticism of it's protrayal of Samus...Team Ninja doesn't have a good history with sexualization.
Peach in her sport outfit
No, it's a pretty damn conservative sport outfit really...
Elma with some outfits in the game.
Yes, XCX also has some awful issues with sexualization and even came under fire for Lin. But a) the default costumes are all pretty good in that regard (minus
true form
) and b) it's all avoidable thanks to the ability to choose a cosmetic appearance different from what you're wearing for stats.
Honestly I never even noticed strange angles or something like that
It's literally gravity defying...and like, why do you think cleavage exists in real life if things that massive don't touch and go sideways...
And all the cut out, or emphasise on their breast is something that has always been in Japanese designs, not just in XC2
This is a problem. This shouldn't be a revelation but Japan isn't exactly the most progressive culture for women, sexual attitudes towards them and sexual harassment because of it.
I just find kind of hipocritic (not you in particular, mind you, but the people who complain about XC2 design while eloging XC1) calling Pyra sexualized (when her cleavage is completely covered)

All while no one baits an eye against Sharla
Because the latter is a real outfit, it exists (well, maybe not the boots), and skin isn't the devil, unnecessary and random skin is. No part of Sharla's outfit is 'cut out'. Cut short maybe, but that's just how some people dress in real life.

The latter one makes sense with regards to physics (ignoring the way the jacket curves in under the breasts), it holds itself together logically.
Like I said, I dropped XC1 so I don't know what does and doesn't make sense for Sharla, but the fact that it physically makes sense should blow this comparison out of the water immediately. It's not the most 'socially progressive' outfit possible but its a far cry from the problem makers in the industry.
But at the same time it could be said that Pyra, being a Fire Blade, would need to show some skin in order to dissipate some heat from her body (she and Brighid do state when they reach Tantal that their bodies is considerably warmer than normal humans)
If it needs to disapate heat then why is the selection of skin so haphazard...why does she cover some areas entirely and not others...it's such a copout reason that doesn't actually make sense...furthermore isn't she immune to heat in some way?
and I fear that we might became like the FE fandom, full of elitism who think they are better because they knew the series before it was popular.
It's not elitism to hate where a series has gone in order to garner more followers/earn more money...it's elitism to think that you're better because of it. You're implying fans can't criticize a series for changing...

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Samus' Zero suit is fine because it's meant to be a skintight suit to wear under her suit, Peach's sports outfit is fine because it's practical for sports, that's something a normal person would wear in that scenario. And there are many Xenoblade X outfits that are heavily sexualised, but they are all optional and come with equally sexy male counterparts.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sharla's design I'll be clear, but I think something like that is more fitting for her because she's a medic, she's not a weapon who's purpose is for battling like pyra, when talking about characters being sexualised you have to take into account the role the character has and if their outfit is practical for who they are as a character, Sharla's look isn't perfect but it's more fitting than Pyra's.
I think Sharla's breast size is more to scale with her character, as opposed to being a young girl with G cups. Also Sharla's outfit makes more sense, it's something someone who is confident in their body could wear, meanwhile Pyra's 3 inch skirt and g string doesn't really fit her character as a reserved personality.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The fire blade thing doesn't really work for mythra tho, and they're all supposed to fight anyway, Mythra was the form who fought Malos and nearly destroyed the world I believe.

Sharla's thing is that she was a normal civilian medic, in that case she would be able to wear whatever she wants, it's far from a perfect outfit and not at all what I would choose for her but it doesn't spoil her design like pyra and mythra imo.
Mytrha is a much more confident character to, so her sporting her outfit isn't so out of character. At least that is how I see it. And the way Blades fight is different from humans, they generally don't get physical damage (Vandham even points it out) so them having full armour isn't as necessary as the actual warrior (in fact most Blades wear revealing outfits, even the male ones like Godfrey and Borg).

Well, yes...but it was the 80s and people didn't bat an eye, and it's kinda fruitless to complain about it now.

Sometimes, it needs to be skin tight but rocket heels is a bit off, and it's not like Other M was free from criticism of it's protrayal of Samus...Team Ninja doesn't have a good history with sexualization.

No, it's a pretty damn conservative sport outfit really...

Yes, XCX also has some awful issues with sexualization and even came under fire for Lin. But a) the default costumes are all pretty good in that regard (minus
true form
) and b) it's all avoidable thanks to the ability to choose a cosmetic appearance different from what you're wearing for stats.

It's literally gravity defying...and like, why do you think cleavage exists in real life if things that massive don't touch and go sideways...

This is a problem. This shouldn't be a revelation but Japan isn't exactly the most progressive culture for women, sexual attitudes towards them and sexual harassment because of it.

Because the latter is a real outfit, it exists (well, maybe not the boots), and skin isn't the devil, unnecessary and random skin is. No part of Sharla's outfit is 'cut out'. Cut short maybe, but that's just how some people dress in real life.

The latter one makes sense with regards to physics (ignoring the way the jacket curves in under the breasts), it holds itself together logically.
Like I said, I dropped XC1 so I don't know what does and doesn't make sense for Sharla, but the fact that it physically makes sense should blow this comparison out of the water immediately. It's not the most 'socially progressive' outfit possible but its a far cry from the problem makers in the industry.

If it needs to disapate heat then why is the selection of skin so haphazard...why does she cover some areas entirely and not others...it's such a copout reason that doesn't actually make sense...furthermore isn't she immune to heat in some way?

It's not elitism to hate where a series has gone in order to garner more followers/earn more money...it's elitism to think that you're better because of it. You're implying fans can't criticize a series for changing...
I'm not going to start a war over it, but I don't really think that criticize a legitimate good game is going to chance a culture like the Japanese one about women.
And I'm not saying that fans shouldn't complain about what is changing, I'm saying the opposite: fans shouldn't criticize things that were already in the game. Sharla default outfit is just as revealing as Pyra's, yet no one complains about her being sexualized. And the player is capable to see most characters in their underwear, which is something that XC2 doesn't allow anymore, which could be seen as an actual improvement on the sexualized department.
You say that Sharia design is made of real clothes, but also is a poor excuse since there are more realistic clothes that aren't as revealing (and more fitting for a doctor near marriage) , making her in fact a sexualized character by your definition. Also the character designer of XC2 said that he wanted to convey in their designs that Pyra and Mytrha aren't fully complete, for example he names the crosses on their clothes, so not having a full armour until completion isn't a bad way to convey it. It can be argue that he could have used other means, but he at least had an idea in mind when he designed those characters (unlike other designs seen around).
The Fire Emblem fandom went into an "elitism" phase after Awekening came out, complaining about it introducing things like Marriage, a My Unit character and being more accessible with a "no perma death mode", when most of these things were introduced in prior games (Marriage in Genealogy, My Unit in the DS games and so on).

I really hope that the Xenoblade fandom doesn't go trough a similar phase, even to it already kind of did when X came out and everyone complained that "It wasn't as the original" even tho it never needed or wanted to be like the original. Seeing people complaining about XC2 character design, yet not pointing out at Sharla or other revealing outfits in the series in order to criticize just XC2 is not only unfair, but it can damage the fandom just like how it happened with FE. At the very least that is how I see it.

That being said it is totally fair to call some design choices in XC2 questionable (I too think that Pyra shorts are too small), but it should be pointed out alongside other similar choices in the past of the series and not just use that to criticize a single game.
Especially when that same game features several female characters, like Morag, with great designs, all while some idiots sends insults and death treats to Masatsugu Saitō (the main character designer for the game) because he "destroyed the integrity of the series".

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
And the player is capable to see most characters in their underwear, which is something that XC2 doesn't allow anymore
Which is a good thing, but one problem doesn't fogive another one.

Sharla default outfit is just as revealing as Pyra's, yet no one complains about her being sexualized
I don't want this to be a flame war either, so this will be my last comment on it, but.. it's not, it's really not, and weird 'equivalences' like this make this discussion pretty impossible. If you really do think that there isn't a difference there then the conversation can't really move on.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Mytrha is a much more confident character to, so her sporting her outfit isn't so out of character. At least that is how I see it. And the way Blades fight is different from humans, they generally don't get physical damage (Vandham even points it out) so them having full armour isn't as necessary as the actual warrior (in fact most Blades wear revealing outfits, even the male ones like Godfrey and Borg).
See I'd be fine with it if the same applied to Malos but it doesn't. And while there are a couple male blades that show some skin, none are quite sexualised to the level of most female blades, I'd be fine with sexualised designs if it wasn't practically exclusive to female characters, you brought up godfrey but he's entirely covered up and gorg isn't nearly as sexualised as pyra for example

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
and I fear that we might became like the FE fandom, full of elitist who think they are better because they knew the series before it was popular.
It's funny you mention FE, since a lot of the Xenoblade 2 complaints reminds me of the types of complaints people made about character designs in Awakening compared to previous games.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
See I'd be fine with it if the same applied to Malos but it doesn't. And while there are a couple male blades that show some skin, none are quite sexualised to the level of most female blades, I'd be fine with sexualised designs if it wasn't practically exclusive to female characters, you brought up godfrey but he's entirely covered up and gorg isn't nearly as sexualised as pyra for example
You are right about Godfrey, for some reason I remembered his outfit to be a lot more skimpier, but anyway it could be argued that male sexualization has more to do with them being muscular rather than half naked, but that is a whole other discussion.
It's funny you mention FE, since a lot of the Xenoblade 2 complaints reminds me of the types of complaints people made about character designs in Awakening compared to previous games.
That was exactly my point. It wasn't a random mention, but I really wanted to show the parallelism between the two fandom.

But anyway, let's change subject: we have surpassed 1000 replies! That is a big accomplishment, well done fellow Blades! Here is a special fan-art I just found:
1513231238686.jpg

I hope this is what we will get one day in Smash

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You are right about Godfrey, for some reason I remembered his outfit to be a lot more skimpier, but anyway it could be argued that male sexualization has more to do with them being muscular rather than half naked, but that is a whole other discussion.

That was exactly my point. It wasn't a random mention, but I really wanted to show the parallelism between the two fandom.

But anyway, let's change subject: we have surpassed 1000 replies! That is a big accomplishment, well done fellow Blades! Here is a special fan-art I just found:
View attachment 154943
I had that image as an iPhone wallpaper once, it’s great!

The duos thing made me also think of the Project X Zone series. Imagine if we got Project X Zone 3, and Fiora would be paired up with Shulk this time, and we get Rex & Pyra and Elma & Lin as well!

(Also Chrom and Lucina should return and a new FE duo would probably be... Alm and Celica? And/or Corrin and Azura.)

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

The duos thing made me also think of the Project X Zone series. Imagine if we got Project X Zone 3, and Fiora would be paired up with Shulk this time, and we get Rex & Pyra and Elma & Lin as well!

(Also Chrom and Lucina should return and a new FE duo would probably be... Alm and Celica? And/or Corrin and Azura.)
I LOVE Project X Zone! The second game is in my backlog since it game out, but I would love a third game, especially with Elma in it!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

I'd kill to have Alm and Celica. We might end up getting Byleth and Edelgard instead though, depending on timing.

I hope KOS-MOS would stick around as a solo unit at least also hope for a Reyn/Riki tag team but let me get back to reality

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
Revived this acc because I wanted to say Elma is currently my #1 pick for Ultimate! I have been replaying X and her character is so much more appealing the more I pay attention to her!
One thought I had for her Final Smash is, of course, her Skell. But It'd also be cool to see Lin, Tatsu, and Cross join in as well, like with Shulk and his Final Smash!
That also leaves the Overdrive mechanic open. Hopefully they make it a special, like with Limit Break and such.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I've always been jealous of the people here who say they've managed to dream about Elma in Smash. Well I finally had a Smash Ultimate dream of my own, but Elma wasn't in it. Instead, the only new character was a deformed version of Funky Kong. And by 'deformed' I mean he was still a three-dimensional ape, but parts of him were all blocky and sharp, like he was a pixelated character with flesh and fur stretched across him (I hope that makes sense).

Thanks a lot, subconscious. You'd better not do that to Elma, I swear to the Bionis.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
View attachment 154943
Oh god, this is what I needed! All six major characters across all three Xenoblade games in one art piece.

I do hope that after Elma gets in and Rex gets added as DLC, they’ll do a special drawing with all 3 Xenoblade protagonists and their fellow important side character.

And there’s hope for future Xenoblade protagonists as well!l from future games (unless Elma is the main character of X2) Damn this series has a lot of potential to become one of Nintendo’s biggest series, and Nintendo is actually putting a lot of thought into the series.

I’m happy with how much this series grew.

Last edited:

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
I've always been jealous of the people here who say they've managed to dream about Elma in Smash. Well I finally had a Smash Ultimate dream of my own, but Elma wasn't in it. Instead, the only new character was a deformed version of Funky Kong. And by 'deformed' I mean he was still a three-dimensional ape, but parts of him were all blocky and sharp, like he was a pixelated character with flesh and fur stretched across him (I hope that makes sense).

Thanks a lot, subconscious. You'd better not do that to Elma, I swear to the Bionis.
The only dream I've had of Smash Ultimate was of The Chorus Kids, except it was only one of them. They were still 2D, but nonetheless, I was disappointed when I woke up.
Potentially seeing Elma's render, artwork, and in-game model always gets me excited!

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard

View attachment 154943
I both love and hate this image. Love it for the obvious reasons, but it also reminds me of a rumor I saw once that's since been proven false that said we would be getting a Xenoblade Warriors game. I know the Warriors franchise isn't for everyone, but I adore the series (except Dynasty Warriors 9) and I haven't been able to beat the idea of Xenoblade Warriors out of my brain since then, no matter how hard I hit my head against a wall. The thought of seeing characters from all three games having Heart-to-Heart conversations like the support convos in Fire Emblem Warriors just... Aaah! I want it!

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I both love and hate this image. Love it for the obvious reasons, but it also reminds me of a rumor I saw once that's since been proven false that said we would be getting a Xenoblade Warriors game. I know the Warriors franchise isn't for everyone, but I adore the series (except Dynasty Warriors 9) and I haven't been able to beat the idea of Xenoblade Warriors out of my brain since then, no matter how hard I hit my head against a wall. The thought of seeing characters from all three games having Heart-to-Heart conversations like the support convos in Fire Emblem Warriors just... Aaah! I want it!
I've been wanting a Xenoblade Warriors game for a long time now. It would be so cool!

It may be many, many years from now, but I think it's possible that we could eventually get a Xenoblade Warriors, and I'm excited for that.

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
Here's a curious question. What versions of the dual swords and dual guns from X would Elma be using in Smash? My guess is would be Sakuraba Industry weapons. I don't know what the name of the weapons she has in one of her official renders are but I do think those would be a good fit as they are beam type weapons from what I've heard. As for the dual swords I am a fan of the cobalt sword designs and would like to see those. Not sure what color though.

Edit: Blades II, that was the design I was thinking of. It was really hard to find what the actual names of the weapons were given there weren't many images to go with them.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Here's a curious question. What versions of the dual swords and dual guns from X would Elma be using in Smash? My guess is would be Sakuraba Industry weapons. I don't know what the name of the weapons she has in one of her official renders are but I do think those would be a good fit as they are beam type weapons from what I've heard. As for the dual swords I am a fan of the cobalt sword designs and would like to see those. Not sure what color though.
The guns in her official render, the Gemels, do indeed do beam elemental damage, meaning they're pretty much laser guns. Those would most likely be the ones she uses.

As for swords, I really have no clue. I would say she would use the Iron Blades or Iron Blades II, Developed by Sakuraba Industries, since I believe her defult swords are the Iron Blades. I would like Iron Blades II, but she starts off with Iron Blades, so they may go with that. Or, if they want her to represent herself at her most powerful, they could go with one of the Carbide Blades.

So, I feel she would use those weapons as a default, and her alt costumes could possibly make the weapons change to the other color levels, along with her armor

Alternatively, since her render uses Gemels (I can't tell what level they are, but the look to either be Soldier, or Warrior level), developed by the Grenda Galactic Group, they could go with the Ralzes swords, developed by the same manufacturer.

EDIT: I've never used the Gemels before, and as it turns out, they literally are laser guns, they fire blue beams, and don't even sound remotely like realistic guns, so they're even more perfect for Smash than I first thought!

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Colours can probably vary per palette, but I'd say the basic selection from Sakuraba would be most likely yes, dual guns and dual blades (not II), since that's what's equipped at the start and what's basic to the game.

Edit: and while Bayo might have magical rings around her guns when's hey shoot I don't think that really declassifies them so much. It's more about what the impact is of getting shot from what I know of ratings (in my country anyway)

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo will show new videos at Gamescon 2018.
Gamescom will be late August, though: 21-25
https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1024570572817219584
Elma time?

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Elma time?
Oof, I missread it. Sorry, I'm tired.

Um, it's possible. I think if we see XCX port, there may be a good chance that Elma will be revealed at the end

Last edited:

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
The guns in her official render, the Gemels, do indeed do beam elemental damage, meaning they're pretty much laser guns. Those would most likely be the ones she uses.

As for swords, I really have no clue. I would say she would use the Iron Blades or Iron Blades II, Developed by Sakuraba Industries, since I believe her defult swords are the Iron Blades. I would like Iron Blades II, but she starts off with Iron Blades, so they may go with that. Or, if they want her to represent herself at her most powerful, they could go with one of the Carbide Blades.

So, I feel she would use those weapons as a default, and her alt costumes could possibly make the weapons change to the other color levels, along with her armor

Alternatively, since her render uses Gemels (I can't tell what level they are, but the look to either be Soldier, or Warrior level), developed by the Grenda Galactic Group, they could go with the Ralzes swords, developed by the same manufacturer.

EDIT: I've never used the Gemels before, and as it turns out, they literally are laser guns, they fire blue beams, and don't even sound remotely like realistic guns, so they're even more perfect for Smash than I first thought!

Yeah the Iron Blades II were the ones I was thinking of. Not really a big fan of the normal Iron Blades. They just look too bulky for me. The Iron Blades II at least look slimmer.

The Gemels would definitely work the best with them being laser guns. As the Dual Guns and Dual Guns II look and function too much like realistic guns that I don't think Sakurai would want to incorporate those. Given how he never incorporated guns in Snake's moveset.

Now that you mention it, the Ralzes blades could probably work well for Elma. If she is equipped with Gemels the Ralzes would work great aesthetically together with them given they are made by the same manufacturer like you said. Plus since they are smaller katana looking swords when compared to the Iron Blades and Iron Blades II, they could look better for Elma if she's designed as a fast and nimble fighter like Sheik and Bayonetta. Personally I want her to use the Blades II because I think they're cooler but I'll be fine with whatever she's given.

I guess it could also depend on what weapons Elma is equipped with as a blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. But we've got at least until sometime in August to find that out. I am so hyped for her in this game I can't wait. Even if she isn't in Ultimate, the fact that all 3 Xenoblade Protagonists still exist together in one game is enough to make me happy. I'd also kind of be bummed if she didn't get her true form as an alt. Yeah it's a spoiler but it's probably going to be her default appearance in X2 whenever it gets made. Plus even doing a simple google search of Elma already spoils it for you.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Elma time?
It's possible.

Many of the dataminers have theorized that August 24th is when we will get Elma, based on the timing of previous updates.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yeah the Iron Blades II were the ones I was thinking of. Not really a big fan of the normal Iron Blades. They just look too bulky for me. The Iron Blades II at least look slimmer.

The Gemels would definitely work the best with them being laser guns. As the Dual Guns and Dual Guns II look and function too much like realistic guns that I don't think Sakurai would want to incorporate those. Given how he never incorporated guns in Snake's moveset.

Now that you mention it, the Ralzes blades could probably work well for Elma. If she is equipped with Gemels the Ralzes would work great aesthetically together with them given they are made by the same manufacturer like you said. Plus since they are smaller katana looking swords when compared to the Iron Blades and Iron Blades II, they could look better for Elma if she's designed as a fast and nimble fighter like Sheik and Bayonetta.

I guess it could also depend on what weapons Elma is equipped with as a blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. But we've got at least until sometime in August to find that out. I am so hyped for her in this game I can't wait. Even if she isn't in Ultimate, the fact that all 3 Xenoblade Protagonists still exist together in one game is enough to make me happy. I'd also kind of be bummed if she didn't get her true form as an alt. Yeah it's a spoiler but it's probably going to be her default appearance in X2 whenever it gets made.
I actually like using Iron Blades (I) and their upgrades because they're bulkier. When she actually removes them from the holsters they're not as chunky but I'd still prefer the Blades to look different to ones we currently have, there's already so many 'finesse' looking swords, even Ragnell is hardly that bulky and Ike's a semi-heavy. It's just make her stand out a bit more.

That said having seen the official renders with the Gemels I take back what I said about the Dual Guns (I) being the most likely, think those might be the ones chosen not just because of the official artwork (or yes, the bullets though I don't think the mere pressence of bullets is as big a deal as people make it out to be) but also because the bladed look on the front of them makes them look more natural to use in melee attacks, assuming she doesn't just switch to her blades for every single one.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I actually like using Iron Blades (I) and their upgrades because they're bulkier. When she actually removes them from the holsters they're not as chunky but I'd still prefer the Blades to look different to ones we currently have, there's already so many 'finesse' looking swords, even Ragnell is hardly that bulky and Ike's a semi-heavy. It's just make her stand out a bit more.

That said having seen the official renders with the Gemels I take back what I said about the Dual Guns (I) being the most likely, think those might be the ones chosen not just because of the official artwork (or yes, the bullets though I don't think the mere pressence of bullets is as big a deal as people make it out to be) but also because the bladed look on the front of them makes them look more natural to use in melee attacks, assuming she doesn't just switch to her blades for every single one.
I do agree with you that it's not as big a deal as people think, but it's not so much about ratings as it is Sakurai. He's stated that he doesn't want realistic firearms in Smash, that's why he's toned down the Ray Gun, and Snake only uses explosives. Bayo even uses magic bullets, and that's why the Gemels would be the perfect fit. They're lasers, similar to Fox's gun.

Also, I feel like the Iron Blades II would stand out amongst the other swords in Smash. Plus, they're less bulky, and using the Iron Blades I would make is so she'd have to have the holsters on her back, and I don't necessarily think they'd do that, but Idk. Elma's all about moving and striking fast, so adding those bulky holsters on her back wouldn't really fit well when trying to accurately depict what she's all about.

And, yea. I do agree that she wouldn't always change weapons. I think she would have different neutral attacks based on which weapon she's currently holding.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Once again though, I like them because they're bulky, it's not about the shape, it's about the overall design, it looks like its more fierce imo, the heft of them.

And I actuallyquite like how Elma looks with the sheaths on her back, it's almost jetpack like, and helps set her sillhouette apart from others. Look at your own profile picture, part of her identity is the things floating behind her head. It may be the guns in your picture but she's not going to be sheathing those, she'll be switching them for the blades.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Once again though, I like them because they're bulky, it's not about the shape, it's about the overall design, it looks like its more fierce imo, the heft of them.

And I actuallyquite like how Elma looks with the sheaths on her back, it's almost jetpack like, and helps set her sillhouette apart from others. Look at your own profile picture, part of her identity is the things floating behind her head. It may be the guns in your picture but she's not going to be sheathing those, she'll be switching them for the blades.
You do bring up a good point. Having your weapons on your back is an iconic part of X.
It's just personal preference, I suppose, I'd personally like her to have the Blades II, because they look sleeker, and I think they look a lot cooler, but the Blades I still look cool, and are her default blades. Plus, having the blades on her back at all times would look really cool.

So, Idk, I'm fine with whatever weapons they give her. Not much point in arguing or complaining about what weapons she'll use anyway, no matter what, she'll be an awesome character. And I'll just be glad she got in

Staarih

Smash Master
I've been following Resetera's Top 101 Essential RPG's list where they've started gathering the list based on the votes given there, and Xenoblade Chronicles X made it to #59 on the list. Maybe not the best possible score (I'm predicting both XC and XC2 placing higher), but it beat out a few Fire Emblem games and BotW. Sure, the boards may be limited and biased, and the votes don't necessarily correlate to any larger scale, but either way, I like to see XCX getting appreciation in some shape or form!

Also, sorry to interrupt any ongoing discussion (?) hehe, I come and go every so often. Elma support still going strong!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
This night I've a really strage dream: Elma was confirmed, but she was that ugly version from that fake leak...and also 3 Palicos from Monster Hunter were added as separate characters (and they weren't echos). It surely was strange, but it shows how much I want the Colonel in the game.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
This night I've a really strage dream: Elma was confirmed, but she was that ugly version from that fake leak...and also 3 Palicos from Monster Hunter were added as separate characters (and they weren't echos). It surely was strange, but it shiws how much I want the Colonel in the game.
Lol, yea, that's a strange dream.
It sucks it had to be the gross fake leak version though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
EVO coverage of Ultimate starts 6 PM PST iirc, think anything will happen then? Not counting on it to be Elma though if there even will be anything

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
EVO coverage of Ultimate starts 6 PM PST iirc, think anything will happen then? Not counting on it to be Elma though if there even will be anything
I’m not counting on Elma either. I think she’ll be revealed alongside other XCX related stuff in a Nintendo Direct.

I feel like we may get some new stages revealed, and possibly a new mode or two.

There’s also the fact that everyone thinks there will be a new character. Idk if we’ll get one or not, but if we do I have a feeling it’ll be somehow related to a fighting game. A lot of people have been speculating Heihachi from Tekken

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm just excited to see who they've got lined up. They said on Twitter that the matches would feature "notable fighting game personalities" but we still haven't heard who they are. There are a lot of FGC members who say they're interested in trying to play Ultimaye competitively, like Infiltration and Sonic Fox, so they could have some big surprise guests.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My personal guess is that Elma will be revealed at Gamescom, which is around the same period of time the next update for Xenoblade 2 drops. I can totally see them giving informations about it, saying "available now" and then...one more announcement...

Besides, since this would be the last update before the Torna Story DLC...how would you feel if Elma somehow plays a role in that story?

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
My personal guess is that Elma will be revealed at Gamescom, which is around the same period of time the next update for Xenoblade 2 drops. I can totally see them giving informations about it, saying "available now" and then...one more announcement...

Besides, since this would be the last update before the Torna Story DLC...how would you feel if Elma somehow plays a role in that story?
I could totally see that, alongside a XCX port as well
I don’t think she’d play a role in the story. It wouldn’t make sense, and she’s also been confirmed to be a challenge mode blade, I believe

Top Bottom