• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Election Day '08: Obama Wins, Old guy doesn't

Who are you voting for in the US Presidential Election?

• Obama Biden

Votes: 204 72.1%
  • McCain Palin

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
They'll be filing in a lawsuit that the referendum was too powerful to be a referendum because it was a reworking of the constitution instead of an addition, which would require the meeting of the state legislator to approve it.

Grandeza

Smash Master
They'll be filing in a lawsuit that the referendum was too powerful to be a referendum because it was a reworking of the constitution instead of an addition, which would require the meeting of the state legislator to approve it.
Thank god...I hate referendums. Such a bad idea =[

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Oppression by the majority. And bigots, most of who fifty years ago would of been racists.

laki

Smash Apprentice
To be fair I'm a young liberal black man and I voted for prop 8 *shrugs*

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Being liberal doesn't mean you're not a bigot

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I guess you didn't see the hedgehog there!

Broom joke. Personally I think anyone who uses the confederate flag then says "PRIDE NOT HATE" is an idiot and for some secretly racist, there are tons of confederate symbols to show pride in the revolution that aren't so deeply tied to racism

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I guess you didn't see the hedgehog there!

Broom joke. Personally I think anyone who uses the confederate flag then says "PRIDE NOT HATE" is an idiot and for some secretly racist, there are tons of confederate symbols to show pride in the revolution that aren't so deeply tied to racism
EDIT WITH FULL QUOTE: I don't care. I'm a Son of the Union and a Son of the Confederacy (family was in MO, literally split sides during the Civil War)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
LOL What are they going to do, go around claiming that the (now) California Constitution is Unconstitutional? *laughs*
Of course they will. The fact is, there are thirty six thousand gay people who may or may not have their marriage licenses revoked. If not, there'll be eighteen thousand gay couples, who will have a more privelaged life than the rest of the gay couples that didn't get to be married in that 4 1/2 month window.

No matter HOW you look at it, it's extremely messed up, unconstitutional, unamerican, and unjust.

No, I don't care that you don't believe in gay lifestyles. You don't believe in drinking alcohol, or going to strip clubs either-- but those are both legal, and they deserve to be to those who wish them in their lives. Hell, being gay isn't even dangerous like alcohol, or (to the rest of the world's eyes) smutty like going to a strip club! Its ridiculous to think that these things are legal, while gay marriage isn't.

M.K

Level 55
I don't get why the choice between marrying someone of opposite sex or someone of the same sex is any different than choosing what candidate to vote for, what food you like, or what your favorite color is.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
That isn't true. Something in your life has influenced you to be attracted to either the opposite or same sex.
Why are you attracted to the opposite sex?

And let's pretend for a second that I did choose to be gay, (who would want to?), why don't I have the right to marry another man, just as I have the right to vote, and have a favorite food or color?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
That isn't true. Something in your life has influenced you to be attracted to either the opposite or same sex.
If that were true why don't you just go out and have gay sex right now. After all it's a choice right?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I don't get why the choice between marrying someone of opposite sex or someone of the same sex is any different than choosing what candidate to vote for, what food you like, or what your favorite color is.
Well we already answered why you think that earlier in the thread

M.K

Level 55
If that were true why don't you just go out and have gay sex right now. After all it's a choice right?
It's my choice on whether or not to do it, so I choose not to do it because I prefer not to.
I mean, really? Is it really this complicated?
Gay men and women should be allowed to get married because it is no different from a straight man and a straight woman getting married. It is something they have obviously chosen to do, based on prior influences or this so called "genetic" influence.
I mean, they should be able to express their love to the correct people because nothing could be worse than a straight man/woman finding out that their loved one is not attracted to them in the same manner.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It's my choice on whether or not to do it, so I choose not to do it because I prefer not to.
I mean, really? Is it really this complicated?
Gay men and women should be allowed to get married because it is no different from a straight man and a straight woman getting married. It is something they have obviously chosen to do, based on prior influences or this so called "genetic" influence.
I mean, they should be able to express their love to the correct people because nothing could be worse than a straight man/woman finding out that their loved one is not attracted to them in the same manner.
You're right, I do have the choice to have sex and marry a woman. But I never would... because I just don't swing that way.

So allow me to rephrase. I didn't choose to prefer males to females, just as you probably didn't choose your preference between chocolate and vanilla.

M.K

Level 55
You're right, I do have the choice to have sex and marry a woman. But I never would... because I just don't swing that way.

So allow me to rephrase. I didn't choose to prefer males to females, just as you probably didn't choose your preference between chocolate and vanilla.
I guess if you look at it that way, you are correct.
You "naturally" prefer one, so you "choose" to do it.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
How do you know? Are you gay?

Edit: If not, how on earth could you know it's a choice?

That's like the guys on this forum that say they know women want *******s.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I don't think Meta-Kirby deserves to be jumped on quite this much. It seems to me like he's not really saying sexuality is a choice, but that it is something that is determined by outside forces in your environment (which may or may not be true).

So put down your pitchforks, guys. Save it for the next time he suggests assassinating Obama.

M@v

Subarashii!
Someone brought this up earlier and was provided to a link where it showed he had, also giving a link to the certificate.

You're a complete and utter moron if you believe that A) He has a reason for not showing it and B) Think that the election runners wouldn't have thought "Hey, how do we know he's a born American? Should we check his birth certificate? Naaaah"
I didnt really care who won the election. I would of preferred McCain, but I dont have too many issues with obama. I was just wondering if the whole birth certificate thing was cleared up.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Short of being EVERY gay person in the world you couldn't possibly know that.

Smash Master
The only gay things I ever did was singing and dancing in church. Hmm, irony.

Anyway that's probably not true. Homosexual parents do not have a higher preponderance of homosexual children.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I didnt really care who won the election. I would of preferred McCain, but I dont have too many issues with obama. I was just wondering if the whole birth certificate thing was cleared up.
Yeah I didn't really care that much either to be honest. I can't really say that I'm liberal or conservative, or democratic or republican. I mean, there are social issues with which I may agree with the liberal standpoint on, but there are many economic issues where I may agree with the general conservative standpoint on.

I just hope that Obama will be able to do what's best for everyone.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I belive the large number of votes went to the democratic party because the last presdient was republican and did a bad job. But what really suprised me is that how did Ohio a republican state won the side of democratic. But yea, I'm one of a few people from Texes that wanted a demorcatic presdient.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Though you may bring up seperation of church and state, America was founded as a Christian country with Christian ideals and marriage is sacred and holy matrimony though you can fairly easily argue that.
Actually it was founded on bloodshed and land stealing. But it's roughly the same thing.

Everyone has the equal chance of being great by themselves. That is the point of America.
That is a freedom I have as being an American, and well... it will be taken away from me and my family if Prop 8 fails.
Because America is about equal rights, and homosexuals had their rights to marry the people they love taken away?
No matter HOW you look at it, it's extremely messed up, unconstitutional, unamerican, and unjust.
I'm confused, can someone explain to me what it means, what America means?

Oh that's right, it's just a bull**** attempt at rhetoric.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
America is basically bull ****. How about privacy? They can invade YOUR privacy if ABSOLUTLEY necessary, and if they think you are a terrorist, maybe they could kidnap you and torture you for something you don't know.

Maybe America CAN change its flag color, and the color of the white house, if the PEOPLE wanted it, right?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I belive the large number of votes went to the democratic party because the last presdient was republican and did a bad job. But what really suprised me is that how did Ohio a republican state won the side of democratic. But yea, I'm one of a few people from Texes that wanted a demorcatic presdient.
Because they suddendly opened their eyes and realiazed how miserable a president Bush was, and seeing as McCain has been portraited along side Bush, republicans started to fear that McCain might go down the same road therefore turned on his their own party and voted for Obama, though this is all theoretical so I may be wrong, nonetheless though the outcome still came out as Obama.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It was Ironic when Obama won the state that McCain was senator in.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hey now, don't jinx us. I'm sure there could be one worse than Bush. Have you seen the movie Idiocracy?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Because they suddendly opened they're eyes and realiazed a miserable a president Bush was, and seeing as McCain has been portraited along side Bush, republicans started to fear that McCain might go down the same road therefore turned on his their own party and voted for Obama, though this is all theoretical so I may be wrong, nonetheless though the outcome still came out as Obama.
I wouldn't pin it on that. I'd pin a lot of the votes (not all of them, but a portion) on young voters/other voters who were "inspired" by Obama merely saying he'd change things and was portrayed as "hope". Really, I don't understand how being told that someone's going to do something as vague as "change" and give "hope" can inspire people, but apparently, it does.

Also, I think a good portion of the Republican party has hated Bush for a while. Honestly, I am not entirely disappointed with his presidency, but recently he's just been annoying. He doesn't have to worry about re-election or anything, but he's wimping out and not having a spine for whatever reason. It's kind of obnoxious.
In any case, I don't understand how McCain can be portrayed as Bush's third term. He's got a few Republican views, but he's really not all that much of a Republican on many issues. I've never really liked McCain, especially since he managed to bring his time as a POW into every debate for the nominee of the Republican party. I respect his service, but it doesn't have that much to do with a presidential election, certainly not enough to bring up that often. Basically, it was the lesser of two evils here for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom