• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Effects of Pepsi/Other Soft Drinks on the Body

Death

Smash Lord
I'm really into soccer (it is my favourite sport) and I have noticed that recently, my stamina has gone down to a ridiculous low. I get tired around 10 min into a game (indoor or outdoor) and find it difficult to breathe. Could this be a side effect of Pepsi? If so, how?

Also, to what extent does Pepsi or other soft drinks affect breath? I find after drinking Pepsi, my breath smells pretty bad. Any ideas?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The most obvious negative effect comes from the corn syrup that it is saturated with.
As for athletic effects, soda causes dehydration when combined with athletic activities (speaking from experience).
Then there is the Caffeine, which causes your body to crash after a short while.
If you trying to be active, its best to stay away from Soda.

scorekid100

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what your problem is and sorry I can't be of any help. BUT don't blame it on pepsi. Pepsi is the most sacred of all soft drinks everywhere. the epitome of liquids consumed. the bestest drink ever formed. And how could your breath possible smell bad after drinking pepsi? it smells oh so delicous.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I don't think there would be much of a difference swicthing. Just stick with water, it always helps.
As long as its Dasani water (the Coca-Cola company owns my soul). :bee:

I don't know what your problem is and sorry I can't be of any help. blame it on pepsi and switch to Coke. Coke is the most sacred of all soft drinks everywhere. the epitome of liquids consumed. the bestest drink ever formed. And how could your breath possible smell bad after drinking Coke? it smells oh so delicous.
Fixed that for ya. ;)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Pepsi sucks, Coke sucks, Drink JONES. No HFCS.

Seriously though, research the damage that High Fructose Corn Syrup does, and you'll see why I avoid that **** like the plague. Add in the fact that most soft drinks are loaded with it and caffeine, and you can see how that would have a negative effect on the body (diabetes is a common thing in most research studies).

Jones has a great cola that, while I think either has a bit more sugar than Coke or maybe the same, uses natural cane sugar versus processed stuff created for the sole purpose of being cheap and easy to produce.

If you play soccer a lot, drink water. Most sports drinks also have HFCS.

Smash Master
Hell, most sliced bread has HFCS. You really can't avoid it without drastic diet/lifestyle changes.

scorekid100

Smash Apprentice
Fixed that for ya. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL. To be honest I like coke almost as much as pepsi but coke zero is where its at. That **** is delicous! Its like regular coke but it has that awesomesauce flavour to it. Plus its in a black can(auto win). And to think I never would have tried it had coca cola never gave out 1 free can to everyone on our street:laugh:

pickle962

Smash Lord
I agree with just about everyone else. Sodas aren't good for you if you do athletics. Have water or an energy drink like powerade instead of soda.

D13

Smash Ace
It corrodes teeth. I like my teeth. =X

If you like soccer as much as you say, I would cut down on the soda.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow youre n00b. My stomacch is already used to the abuse Ive given it since I was 3. Plus Pepsi sucks, coke is better but much more damaging. But as I said my stomach is already used to it, so there is no way my stamina can go down any lower XD

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Yeah, I agree with the majority of people on here that soft drinks aren't good; especially if your an athlete. I'm a runner and whenever I drank any soft drink before a run or even Gatorade it felt like those drinks weighed me down or something. Water hydrates the body best.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hell, most sliced bread has HFCS. You really can't avoid it without drastic diet/lifestyle changes.
Try Wheat Bread. It's better for you, and if you get whole wheat, it'll not have HFCS. In fact, last night I spent $50 on soft drinks ( A LOT of soft drinks) that are made with real cane sugar instead of HFCS. Awesome part? Most of them have less grams of sugar than Coca Cola does.

It's really not that hard to avoid HFCS if you are conscious of it. Sure you can't eat oreos and such, but really, they are HORRIBLE for you.

What's all this Jones stuff?
Drink GUS.
www.jonessoda.com

It's a super-sweet drink, but it's MUCH better than Coke.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Softdrinks are an absolute no no as an athlete!

I just plain hate soda(unless it's fruit flavored). If you have a craving for it I'd either find a substitute or limit yourself to special occasions only.

HFCS is pretty easy for me to avoid... but maybe it's because I don't have much of a sweet tooth. It doesn't require drastic changes at all. Simply avoid overconsuming candy and other unhealthy treats and you win. Also, limit your intake on processed foods and certain preservatives.

My drink of choice is water, fruit juice, and certain homemade sodas. :)

Remember... real sugar is better than any other sugar substitute!

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
OP, I would suggest you stop drinking them for soccer... I find that for any sport, they have a noticeably bad effect on my performance..

But there are many more factors. I find that my worst sport days are after late nights... Even if it was a relaxed night, and some late nights are, the lack of sleep is verrrrry apparent the second I start running.

You might not have mentioned it because of the stigma and the way it would skew the resulting posts, but if you smoke I would definitely suggest stopping... Or a healthier alternative, such as vaporization, although those are not as good as stopping =B

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I saw something on the food network to make like...a peach soda or something.

looked delicious.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
i try to limit myself on soda during the week (partly due to the fact that i potentially have 8 cavities and soda's aren't good for that >_>). ive been meaning to have some jones for awhile now but im usually broke.

water, juice, milk, and tea for me (most of the time)

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Here's why I stopped drinking Soda a long time ago

Get a glass of any soda (i used coke), put a penny in it, and leave it for a few days.

It will ****ing dissolve the penny, and you're putting that stuff inside of you?

ew

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Here's why I stopped drinking Soda a long time ago

Get a glass of any soda (i used coke), put a penny in it, and leave it for a few days.

It will ****ing dissolve the penny, and you're putting that stuff inside of you?

ew
I heard the same thing happened with certain types of hot sauce.

It's best to avoid Soda at all costs. Especially if you're doing athletics.
From personal experience, soda causes your body to crash faster and it also makes you gas out when being physically active.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Drink Tropicana and Aloe Vera instead. Sweet and more nutritous than a soda.

If all else, just have Tasty Juice.

Tea > water IMO. Got supplements from the leaves, and the nutrients from water. Yes it's got caffeine, but there's actually very little to have any noticeable effect. Plus it's got a subtle sensual flavour. I actually find tea very addicting, i down that stuff like mad during dimsum

Top Bottom