• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editing the Character Selection Portrait

Giga_Bowser129

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm new to texture hacking on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. How do you edit the Character Selection Portrait of all the characters? I've been trying to replace Meta Knight's blue outfit image with an image of Galacta Knight but it didn't work, can someone explain to me how to do all this?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
They're all in common5.pac. What you have to do is open it up in BrawlBox, go to sc_selecchar, then keep looking til you find MK's. Right-click, replace wih the picture you want. MAKE SURE it says True for Has Palette, or it won't work in-game.

marter

Smash Apprentice
Open up common5.pac in BrawlBox. Metaknight's Blue Costume is here:

common5_en -> sc_selcharacter_en -> char_bust_tex_lz77 -> MiscData[21] -> Textures(NW4R) -> MenSelchrFaceB.215

Right Click on that, and select replace. Pick the image that you want. File -> Save and you are done. There is a chance that the file will be too large after being replaced, so if it freezes brawl, go back to common5.pac, and go to here:

common5_en -> sc_selmap_en -> MiscData[70], and replace all the phrases you think you'll never see with a "?". That'll lower the size.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Open up common5.pac in BrawlBox. Metaknight's Blue Costume is here:

common5_en -> sc_selcharacter_en -> char_bust_tex_lz77 -> MiscData[21] -> Textures(NW4R) -> MenSelchrFaceB.215

Right Click on that, and select replace. Pick the image that you want. File -> Save and you are done. There is a chance that the file will be too large after being replaced, so if it freezes brawl, go back to common5.pac, and go to here:

common5_en -> sc_selmap_en -> MiscData[70], and replace all the phrases you think you'll never see with a "?". That'll lower the size.
Eh, I was close. I haven't edited CSP's in a while :laugh:

AlexTheMagic

Smash Rookie
How do you do this in Project M?
I've yet to try this but I believe if you have a copy of project M in a normal folder then you may freely tinker with the specific common5.pac data in the folder using brawlbox and then replace the old data that's in the sd card using winimage. Will update if successful.

Edit1: So for project M common5.pac is empty, the portraits are probably in another common pac

Edit2: So none of the common.pacs had portrait data in them but I managed to find some "MenSelchrFace" data in projectm/pf/menu/common/char_bust_tex
There aren't enough files to cover every character portrait so either thats not what these are or theyre only the new projectm-exclusive portraits.

Edit3: JK, these are the portraits, you just have to open a specific "MenSelchrFace" to reveal the additional palettes for each character.

Edit4: I'm replacing the old portrait image as instructed above but the program isn't letting me change "Has Palette" to "true". The dimensions for the image are right and the preview looks good.

Edit5: Alright, to switch the "Has Palette" to "true" you must select image format CI8(or similar formats). This gives the portrait a palette.

Edit6: SUCCESS! Sort of. I replaced the image it shows of your character at end-game screen where it shows your kills/deaths/etc.

Edit7: Found the buggers. C:\Users\YourName\Desktop\Project M\projectm\pf\menu2
Your copy of pm thats NOT on your SD card is where you can find and tinker with these, then its a simple "insert folder" (menu2) using winimage to replace the one on your sd card.

Last edited:

j29736

Smash Rookie
NNID
j29736
3DS FC
1762-3986-5024
They're all in common5.pac. What you have to do is open it up in BrawlBox, go to sc_selecchar, then keep looking til you find MK's. Right-click, replace wih the picture you want. MAKE SURE it says True for Has Palette, or it won't work in-game.
Thank you for existing
I've yet to try this but I believe if you have a copy of project M in a normal folder then you may freely tinker with the specific common5.pac data in the folder using brawlbox and then replace the old data that's in the sd card using winimage. Will update if successful.

Edit1: So for project M common5.pac is empty, the portraits are probably in another common pac

Edit2: So none of the common.pacs had portrait data in them but I managed to find some "MenSelchrFace" data in projectm/pf/menu/common/char_bust_tex
There aren't enough files to cover every character portrait so either thats not what these are or theyre only the new projectm-exclusive portraits.

Edit3: JK, these are the portraits, you just have to open a specific "MenSelchrFace" to reveal the additional palettes for each character.

Edit4: I'm replacing the old portrait image as instructed above but the program isn't letting me change "Has Palette" to "true". The dimensions for the image are right and the preview looks good.

Edit5: Alright, to switch the "Has Palette" to "true" you must select image format CI8(or similar formats). This gives the portrait a palette.

Edit6: SUCCESS! Sort of. I replaced the image it shows of your character at end-game screen where it shows your kills/deaths/etc.

Edit7: Found the buggers. C:\Users\YourName\Desktop\Project M\projectm\pf\menu2
Your copy of pm thats NOT on your SD card is where you can find and tinker with these, then its a simple "insert folder" (menu2) using winimage to replace the one on your sd card.
And thank you holy crap you guys helped me a LOT.

Top Bottom