• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EDIT: Actual '48 character' translation inside.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Is it possible that "model changing" could mean Zelda becoming Sheik and PT switching Pokemon?

^This is just a thought, I don't think it is.
I think he brings up a good point. What if "model change" actually meant "transformation"? We'd usually say something like Melee has 26 characters, including transformations (Sheik) anyways.

And then again, I doubt they'd actually use the word "clone" in Japanese. So that meaning clone is also perfectly viable. =/

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
This is getting old... this is all you've seen here for the most part for days.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I think he brings up a good point. What if "model change" actually meant "transformation"? We'd usually say something like Melee has 26 characters, including transformations (Sheik) anyways.

And then again, I doubt they'd actually use the word "clone" in Japanese. So that meaning clone is also perfectly viable. =/
Read my previous post. Sakurai has refered to clones as Model Change characters in the past already.

CO18

Smash Hero
Oh my, like pretty good year said, Sakurai always refers to model changes as clones. Transforming is not a model change!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What do the hit boxes have to do with it not being a model change when it's obviously changing to a different model...

Since when does hitboxes = different model?

Model =/= hitboxes

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to state the usual. I will believe this when I see this. This may be false. Maybe some troll randomly typed this out attempting to pull this was real and maybe this is a real deal thing here in the text. We really need a source on this or else we have a new debate now.

ruffrydr017

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna stick to brawl central, i doubt either you or someone else you know could translate that.

Before you say you got this translation of babel fish, let me just tell you babel fish DOES NOT translate images
Brawl Central makes mistakes just as easily as we do. They posted the fake Ness translations, but eventually did change them to their correct words.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
The bad thing is we wont know intill the end of the month. Also it worrys me that were not getting new scans of this so called article, if it revealed something like that do you think there will be more pics around?

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't 'Model Change' just as well be the new models all the old character's are getting? It may not seem that important, yet characters like Fox, Zelda and Sheik have gotten some pretty big revisions on their character design. 'Model Change' could be referencing said revision.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ok, although indeed Sakurai never sayd "no clones" i think it's to soon to assume itm eans clones. If this is not from a Nintendo Employee, then maybe who wrote this noticed characters like Wolf, Dark Samus(assuming they're in) and seeing how they look a lot like Fox and Samus, they assume is just a model change?

Another teory could be that he means that Veterans, got a new model(wich is obvious). Or he is counting Transformations? Giga Bowser, Wario Man, Sheik?

Or Clones, from the three, the first and third are the best if you ask me.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
48 with clones sounds just fine to me. I don't see why people complain so much about clone characters, when half of them have to be played completely different from their original.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
^That's MODERU good sir. I can read katakana (I don't translate because I know zero kanji).

And I doubt not Kiri's translation, but the legitimacy of the article. Someone could've easily faked that, considering the piece of paper its on.
....No, it's MO-TE-RU. I know Japanese. I can read all katakana and hirigana except for a couple.

Flister

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flister
Obviously the validity of this article is dubious, but as Tatsuman said there is nothing unbelievable about it. It makes perfect sense. Why does Lucas use altered Ness special moves with completely different standard moves, a la Luigi? Because it allows Ness to return as he was before. 48 characters including a couple of similar yet unique movesets is something I'm sure most of us would embrace. I'm not saying it is true, I'm just pointing out an interesting way to look at it. It's an intriquing idea.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Its my understanding that Japanese is written from right to left, and this is written from left to right, like our own language.

If true that would be a huge red flag. I would consider this fake for now.

Peter_Parker

Smash Cadet
NNID
thomfolk
3DS FC
3368-2346-7128
So I'm not sure about the definition of MODEL CHANGE. So I read Sheik's profile on the DOJO.

Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her MODEL on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game.
So Sheik has a new TP model. A CHANGE from the OoT model.

That's what I think.

As for the validity... well... ****, I have no ****ing clue.

GnooroopoftheGerudo

Smash Rookie
I have a real hard spot with the bad rap that "model change" characters get. A lot of people don't seem to realize how useful they can be. I'm a fairly neutral party on the subject anyway, as I main adult Link, but think about it this way: What do you do if you really like Fox's moveset, but just can't handle how outrageously fast he is? You play as Falco, and still get the same basic moveset, but sacrifice the speed for a little more power. The same idea can be seen with Marth and Roy, or Captain Falcon and Ganondorf...they offer a bit of choice to the player, while still keeping the game fairly balanced.

I'm not saying all clones are a good idea, or even that too many clones are a good idea. I'll be the first to admit that Ganondorf being a clone character of Captain Falcon was a strange idea (I've grown to love playing as Ganondorf anyway, and I hope that if they do change his moveset, his moves will at least act similarly, even if the motions are a bit different (think Roy and Ike)). In other cases though, having a very similar moveset makes perfect sense. Pichu as a clone of Pikachu makes perfect sense, when you think about it, but I think it was executed poorly. It made sense for him to be lighter, and even faster, but who knows why his moves were more powerful? Young Link and Link made perfect sense as clones, as they are (or at least were) the same person...with a simple seven-year age difference. Dr. Mario doesn't make much sense as a separate character, but I'm sure there are people out there who prefer the slight differences in his movesets to Mario's, and I don't think there's any more wrong with that than one person liking Sheik of Marth, or Jigglypuff over Samus. To each his own.

And frankly, the most relevant argument I have in the defense of clone character is that, according to my understanding, we wouldn't have even had some of those characters if they weren't clones. I believe it's been said that Sakurai put them in because he had a little extra time with Melee, so he saw a chance to put in a few more characters, even if he didn't have time to design full and unique movesets for them. If it weren't for that, we may not have even had Ganondorf or Falco, or any of the other clones that have their fanbases in melee.

So really, if Sakurai ends up having a little more time than he thought he was going to (which I severely doubt, what with the delays and all that), I say he should go for it, and perhaps add in a couple of the less requested (but still popular) potential characters, even if it means they have to have a slightly tweaked, borrowed moveset until the next Smash Bros. comes out. It's a chance to represent. That's all I'm saying.

Now, as far as whether or not this is likely, or whether or not this article is at all factual or not, I'm not really in much of a position to comment on validity. Forty-eight characters would be fantastic (even with a few clones), and I doubt anybody would disagree, but considering the lack of any concrete information regarding this articles source, I would recommend we all take it with a grain of salt until the Japanese copies of the game get out. Of course, you've got to admit...this one seems a little bit strange even for a leak...it seems a bit more work went into it than your standard "gameFAQs" prophet BS...but there's more against it than for it, methinks...

So yeah...we should probably just wait.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Okay, again, model changes does not necessarily mean clones. It might just mean things like Young Link is now Wind Waker Link, hence a character model change. That does not necessarily mean a clone character like Melee had. Again, everyone jumps to conclusions.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Couldn't 'Model Change' just as well be the new models all the old character's are getting? It may not seem that important, yet characters like Fox, Zelda and Sheik have gotten some pretty big revisions on their character design. 'Model Change' could be referencing said revision.
that's preposterous. EVERY character has a new model.

I love how people are debating what model change could mean, when it's VERY clear what it means.

Clones are back. Not too hard to figure out. if this. article is true, that is. I believe it is

Kiri

Smash Cadet
Indeed...I'm getting rather annoyed with how my words are being interpreted when it's quite clear in Japanese what it means.

It just bugs me how people cling onto various hopes in the face of all known reason. Like even if Sakurai were to show people fighting Ridley as a boss, they would *STILL* say he was playable. :/

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
But where is this thing from anyway?

Zeela12

Smash Ace
model change would be pretty cool. Like wario changes, only that he is really still the same person. Maybe that's what sakurai meant by "only he gets special treatment."

I don't mind costumes, it would be pretty cool to use wolf but it's actually fox moveset.

Indeed...I'm getting rather annoyed with how my words are being interpreted when it's quite clear in Japanese what it means.

It just bugs me how people cling onto various hopes in the face of all known reason. Like even if Sakurai were to show people fighting Ridley as a boss, they would *STILL* say he was playable. :/
No kidding. I'm going to hazard a guess that not many of these dudes know any Japanese. I don't either, but then again, I'm not arguing with someone that does.

I really don't see Ridley as anything more than a boss. I couldn't care less if he was in though...

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap, read the entire thread before posting. MODEL CHANGE=CLONE. No one cares what you think it is so stop trying to say that its not.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I've tried to write up a fake 48 character roster to get an idea of what the actual roster will look like, but I can't get to 48 without including a bunch of random characters that nobody thought had a chance. I guess that means that there's going to be a bunch of random characters that nobody thought had a chance.

If they're going to include that many character and keep clones then I don't think it's impossible that all the characters from Melee will return after all.

What I don't get is why a newspaper got a copy of the game early to review it. I could see if it was a gaming magazine or something, but why a newspaper? Or is it common for that to happen in Japan?

Top Bottom