• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EDIT: Actual '48 character' translation inside.

Kiri

Smash Cadet
EDIT: All original text below is how I first wrote it in this thread. However, I just want to add that I have now washed my hands of this thread. I am fed up with you idiots who come into this thread without reading through, and many of those then saying things you could find answers to in the original text. I have never met such a sordid bunch of slow and frustrating people such as yourselves, who will try and rubbish people like me who have only translated this in order to help out. It disgusts me.

I have never stated that this article was official. I have never stated that I knew where it came from. All I know is that it has been around for a while and I thought I would translate it for you all in order to help out, but now I regret even doing that.

But the worst thing is people who can't let go; this is a ****ing game we're talking about here people, and you treat it as if it's life or death. Seriously, I've seen people threatening to kill themselves if Ridley is not included as a playable character....what has happened to make it come to this?

So, if you're one of those lazy people and can't be bothered reading this whole edit..... all of you need to grow up and stop posting such bloody stupid replies. Read through the topic, take time to think what yo're going to say BEFORE typing and pissing off normal people like me who give up their time to help you out with a game we should all enjoy and NOT turn into such an idiotic flamewar. Good day.

Okay, I know there are other threads about this, but they lead to nowhere, so I figured I'd get on translating myself.

The top paragraph is the most interesting section, basically saying things like with Sumabura X, Sonic, Snake and Dedede have been added to the list of playable characters. It states that in previous versions they were not playable. It goes on to mention that there were a total of 25 playable characters in DX (Melee) and will be 48 playable characters in X (Brawl) which is double the amount.

The next sentence is the most important part. It states that there will be hidden characters (obviously) included as part of that 48, but of those hidden characters, some (it doesn't say how many) will be model changes.

Which basically means clones. Which basically means Fox/Falco, Ganondorf/Capt. Falcon etc. etc.

The middle and bottom paragraphs contain nothing of interest, merely stating where certain characters originated, eg. Lucas from Mother3 on the Nintendo 64 and other such various things.

So the main point I guess is assuming this document is real (as I think it is), a 48 character roster is real, containing clones, still hidden characters and characters we know (including such things as Pokemon Trainer being counted as 1 character and the same for Zelda/Sheik). Also of note is that it does not mention any other 3rd party characters...so we'll just have to wait for that.

Thanks for your time.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
You think a document that's from a newspaper that doesn't exist, in a format not used by any Japanese newspaper, with information that's copy+pasted from the final paragraph of Wikipedia.jp's Brawl page is real

Cuz I don't.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai never actually said no clones. That was something that people twisted out of something else he said.

I am tentatively believing this, and hoping it is the truth. :grin:

Kiri

Smash Cadet
Sakuri said no clones... I think there will be no clones
Trust me, it says model changes in the final sentance... the bit where it says; "モデル替え" means model change :)

You think a document that's from a newspaper that doesn't exist, in a format not used by any Japanese newspaper, with information that's copy+pasted from the final paragraph of Wikipedia.jp's Brawl page is real

Cuz I don't.
Also, I haven't said anything about it being from a newspaper. I have just seen it being circulated around so thought I would give it a proper translation.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
From what I understand, whoever first posted it said it's from some newspaper. I forgot the name, but another person living in Japan said they can't find it at all online or anything. Also, it was supposedly from yesterday which means it took quite a while to leak.

And again, no newspaper would use a format with so much whitespace, it's the same text as Wikipedia, and it looks as if it's printed on regular paper.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna stick to brawl central, i doubt either you or someone else you know could translate that.

Before you say you got this translation of babel fish, let me just tell you babel fish DOES NOT translate images

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Well, Wario's costume change is a "model change", so does that get included? I doubt it, but that would really suck if he was like... MODEL CHANGE! WHAT?!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Sakuri said no clones... I think there will be no clones
Sakurai never said this. Here is my clone list:

Claus
Wolf
Falco
Black Shadow
Felix-Isaac
Louie-Olimar
Mewtwo-Lucario
Dark Samus

Any other ideas?

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna stick to brawl central, i doubt either you or someone else you know could translate that.

Before you say you got this translation of babel fish, let me just tell you babel fish DOES NOT translate images
Well... if he's in Japan and japanese, it's likely that he can speak and read Japanese...

Kiri

Smash Cadet
From what I understand, whoever first posted it said it's from some newspaper. I forgot the name, but another person living in Japan said they can't find it at all online or anything. Also, it was supposedly from yesterday which means it took quite a while to leak.

And again, no newspaper would use a format with so much whitespace, it's the same text as Wikipedia, and it looks as if it's printed on regular paper.
Look, again I'll say... I don't know where its from. I merely translated it for everyone.

I have a 22 year old, Japanese girl sat next to me who double checked my translation. I have been studying Japanese for 3 years solid. Please humour me when I say that the translation is 100% correct.

Well, Wario's costume change is a "model change", so does that get included? I doubt it, but that would really suck if he was like... MODEL CHANGE! WHAT?!
Wario's costume is not a model change, merely a costume change so that is not counted on the final roster.

Claus
Wolf
Falco
Black Shadow
Felix-Isaac
Louie-Olimar
Mewtwo-Lucario
Dark Samus

Any other ideas?
Please leave your list ideas out of this...this is a translation thread, not a dream list thread.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
48 character sounds good but I am wondering what it means by model changes and how many there are. Also if there are clones in this game I hope there FS is diffrent.

but of course that assuming that this info is real.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Trust me, it says model changes in the final sentance... the bit where it says; "モデル替え" means model change :).
^^^^This man is wise.

モデル = MOTERU = MODEL
替え = I have no clue. Stupid kanji.

Holy crap, you people will believe anything if it's written in Japanese and someone claims to have translated it...
I can semi translate bits and pieces, and he is correct. PM SamuraiPanda if you want.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
^That's MODERU good sir. I can read katakana (I don't translate because I know zero kanji).

And I doubt not Kiri's translation, but the legitimacy of the article. Someone could've easily faked that, considering the piece of paper its on.

Sounds about right. I predicted around 50 characters, and didn't think all clones would be removed.

I'd really love this if it was true.

Kiri

Smash Cadet
Hey, thanks for the support. I even did what someone above said and stuck that bit into Babelfish...it translates to 'model changing' ...you can even go check yourself! :3

My personal opinion is that since they mentioned Melee before with a roster of 25 (which includes clones like Falco), I think the 48 includes clones also. I'm pretty sure PT is listed as one character as is Zelda/Sheik (this makes sense as they share a Final Smash).

I believe Wario's costume change is just that, since it brings no new moves...therefore, that is only one character.

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
Would someone like to tell me what the 6 in brackets is for? ;)

The one in the sentence about Lucas being planned for melee, but missing the roster because Mother 3 didn't get released on the N64.

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
MODEL CHANGES does not equal CLONE. I do think the writer refers to just MODEL and not move sets really (i.e. Falco could use the same model of Fox, but could use other attacks as well).

The team seriously has no excuses for cloning here. They worked for years and Masahiro Sakurai said that he accidentally got that number with the previous one. Keep in mind, ten months is quite less than two years really.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Ewww! It actually sounded better with the fake "Ness, Marth, and Roy deconfirmation" translations. :(

Thanks for the real translation at least....

Zeela12

Smash Ace

Claus
Wolf
Falco
Black Shadow
Felix-Isaac
Louie-Olimar
Mewtwo-Lucario
Dark Samus

Any other ideas?

lol, the validity isn't even confirmed yet, especially with the clone thing, and already people make "clone lists."

I seriously lol'd.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wario's alternate costume IS a different model

so technically that IS a model change

CO18

Smash Hero
Thanks for translating this man, this is really interesting, 48 characters would be awsome I just hope this newspaper is true.

Fats McRobot

Smash Cadet
I trust the OP on this one.

Sakurai only said that some characters wouldn't be returning, not that there wouldn't be clones...

Unfortunately, outlook is still not so good for my Pichu.

Peeto87

Smash Rookie
Is it possible that "model changing" could mean Zelda becoming Sheik and PT switching Pokemon?

^This is just a thought, I don't think it is.

I think thats a point. But could we just find out about Sakurai's quote regarding clones? That would end the whole discussion. Also, Louie won't be in, because theres nothing that separates him from Olimar. I don't think clones will return.

Kiri

Smash Cadet
Wario's alternate costume IS a different model

so technically that IS a model change
But his hit boxes and wire frame model are the same....Wario in his Original Form is not a separate character = NOT A MODEL CHANGE.

I think "model change" = look different, like Fox got his Command Look, and Ganondorf will probably get his TP look...
Model change = clone. Whatever the characters look like is a COSTUME CHANGE.

AGH. Sakurai has always refered as clones as Model Changes. Read his diary entries from way back then.
Thanks for agreeing with me :3

Thanks for translating this man, this is really interesting, 48 characters would be awsome I just hope this newspaper is true.
Yeah, I hope this is true too, well at least it is translated ok now! I'll have to see how many are in the game next week! :D

Top Bottom