• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding with fox help.

Sakurai_Hates_Elites

Smash Rookie
I used to shinespike a lot when the shine was the **** of the walk. Since it isn't as powerful in Brawl, what are the best options for Fox to edgeguard? I'm taking less risks and it's costing me matches...Help would be much appreciated.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
the best edgeguard is to not edgeguard in brawl, edgeguarding doesnt seem to work as well as in melee, your best bet is to get ur opponent to a high percentage and mindgame a u smash, f smash, b air, u air. These are all his best killing moves in that same order.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Yes, sadly, edge guarding doesn't work as well in this game. However, whenever someone trys me, from below, I shine. From the side, I ledge hop bair, and from above, I either ledge hop onto the stage, or ledge hop uair. But still, OTRU's right, try not to edge guard as much, it's harder.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
the best edgeguard is to not edgeguard in brawl, edgeguarding doesnt seem to work as well as in melee, your best bet is to get ur opponent to a high percentage and mindgame a u smash, f smash, b air, u air. These are all his best killing moves in that same order.
That isn't true. Edgeguarding is just a lot more difficult than in Melee, but it is actually very effective if you manage to do it right.

As Fox, jump after your opponent with a D-Air, than jump (trying a FootStool) or Shine. Also, use your F-Air for recovery after going out there and Edgeguarding. Second Jump + F-Air makes you go higher than just Second Jump.
You can also B-Air if you get the timing, and it is very strong, almost 100% if it hits.

Just remember, Edgeguard is not 100% kill like in Melee, your opponent has several options like Dodging, and your MindGames will need to be effective.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I used to shinespike a lot when the shine was the **** of the walk. Since it isn't as powerful in Brawl, what are the best options for Fox to edgeguard? I'm taking less risks and it's costing me matches...Help would be much appreciated.

I got a couple shine spike kills today..

I mean its harder but definatly still a good strategy. definitly

CurryLad

Smash Cadet
i hate ending up killing myself when i jump off to shine spike people. my friend is a pro at footstool jumps so im too scared to try and follow him off stage.

Curse marke Sasuke

Smash Rookie
Edge guarding is still applicable, just a lot harder with the enhanced DIing.
You basically need to try and make your opponent do what you want them to so you can guard the easier.
Short hop bair from the edge is decent.
I occasionally throw in a nair, but those seem to be the only guarding moves with knockback.
Shine, sadly, was killed. ; _ ;

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Grab the ledges by walking off and slamming your stick to the edge or running off and SHINING then turning around so you quickly grab the ledge when the nearly lagless shine is done. Try to predict where he goes and knock him with BAIRS and NAIRS with LEDGE HOPS either OUT the stage or ONTO the stage (it all depends).

You can even drop down on some stages with a BAIR right from the ledge if they're coming back from the bottom don't FF though. You can SHORT HOP off the LEDGE with a NAIR out so it will knock him with the weak hit. Then you can MAYBE follow up with a REVERSE back AIR.

Don't be afraid to try new things! New game new things! Good luck!

mega tortuse

Smash Rookie
ok i kidan dont like shareing my secerets but.... i jsut use a split kick to knock them off then right befoer they grab the ledge use a doward air att(aka dair spike)forcing them down with you then use a fire fox and grab the ledge then ya if they have a good recovery to they it while ya are invinclbe and jsut fall to their doom. :p
if unpracticed i t can backfire and end in your demise :(

hope that helps

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice
ok i kidan dont like shareing my secerets but.... i jsut use a split kick to knock them off then right befoer they grab the ledge use a doward air att(aka dair spike)forcing them down with you then use a fire fox and grab the ledge then ya if they have a good recovery to they it while ya are invinclbe and jsut fall to their doom. :p
if unpracticed i t can backfire and end in your demise :(

hope that helps

someone tried that on me once...i airdodged and he fell to his death ;)

n00b5ch00lbus

Smash Rookie
iv been useing shine spikeing alot to edgegaurd and its been working quite efficiently for me. u can also try down smash near the edge before they grab onto it.

Top Bottom