• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge options

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
When you grab the edge what do you do when your opponent is near you or kinda further away? In most ness vids I see a ledge jump'd dair, but could there be any possibilities with ledge hopping without it be obvious? Rolling can be laggy, attack is situational... what else?

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I usually don't even bother as my edgegame usually revolves around Yo-Yo guarding and PKFLAAASH! SHBair's are also my forte.

Edge grabbing is just too risky sometimes.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Vilness's Nessgeguard shows some really good options(The PKT2 ledge sweetspot is REALLY nice) Dtilt is always an option, though you have to be careful which character you use it against, as is tailwhipping though that requires a lot of skil. PK Flash is incredibly situational, as is the F-smash(which requires great spacing against a good opponent). I think going after the enemy with the f-air is probably the overall best bet in most situation, you just have to practice it enough so you can always get back to the edge. Ness requires a lot of practice, spacing, and knowledge in his edgeguarding. At least....as far as I've seen. I'm still not practiced enough in ANY of the techniques I just mentioned, I've only succeeded with the F-smash or dtilt edgeguards and even those I've only managed to pull off once or twice. I'm simply repeating what I've been told, what I've seen, and my own assumptions based on a higher level of skill.

PwNess

Smash Rookie
i think annoying means when you're the one hanging on the ledge. what i usually do is the ledge jumped dair, fair and even uairs to grabs or tilts. if you have some distance between you and your opponent, you can try a ledgedash to whatever or maybe a ledge jumped pk fire.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Below 100%:

Press R (if they're close), or control stick towards the stage (if their far away).[

Above 100% or against Peach:
Press away from the stage, Dj, DI so that you do a half circle back onto the stage, fair or nair (depeding on opponent).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's what i was thinking, but ledgehopping like that could be risky.... and rolling can get predictable.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
What else can you do. Above 100% all his regular getting back onto the edge moves are too slow...

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Try doing the same thing Sage mentioned but sweet spotting the stage a time or two. Your enemy might get pissed and try an attack, which will probably(hopefully) miss, and give you a way onto the stage. And if he doesn't, then at least it's a slight extra mindgame for when you actually TRY to hop on the stage.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
How about ledge hopping away, then PKT2 at the ledge and/or at the opponent? lol mindgames ^_^

indie_dave

Smash Ace
oh em gee i read the first post and lawlz my arses offz
laik z0mg u no whut a gr00d edjgard a bez 4 teh edgjz?
laika pikka f0x he R teh Rox0rz against teh j1g9lez1!!!!1!!!!!!!1!!

[i like shinespiking jigglies ^_^ and ackt1ngz laika 71207120125]

ness v jiggly :''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

actually i see a lot of nesses ledgehop fair or uair more, and it works even if predictable. also, ledghop-->airdodge, but he takes awhile to get high enough up huh

edit: Z0MG NEW TRAILER

Ademisk

Smash Champion
,,................w.......t......f.

Edit: also, a quick thought, maybe if you do a ledgehog and attempt something like a waveland when you're nearing the stage, fake the opponent out like you're going for an air-dodge, and well....you know what to do after a waveland I'm sure. Of course, this idea only works if the opponent isn't right at the end of the stage with a long reach. Of course, if he's too close for it to work he's either A) Marth or B) Close enough that an edgeroll would be applicable

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Ledge hopping with ness is hard, I say don't bother because it's so complicated. In the first ssb and in this one.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Da mihi caput. pis dame miti. df sdh hsdfjk fkljsd wkl.

Yeah really, that's all Ness can do to get back onto the edge. It's still better than some characters though...

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Well, I can't think of anything else. The last possible thing you could do would be the Reverse Edgeguard, which is not only insanely difficult to pull off, but requires the enemy to actually come after you rather than sittting there waiting to pound you if you try to get up.

And since that's the only thing I can think of, I declare that the final word has been written about edge recovery, here, today.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
I'd say waveland, ledge hop fair, or rolling off the edge are the safest options depending on the situation

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Waveland if their far away only... Ness DjC makes it so he can't do it as fast as other characters.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I havent't tried to waveland with any other characters, how is his slower than other characters because of his DjC when it's the lowest in the game?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Cause he goes down then up and when you djc an airdodge I usually get poopie results... I dunno, I don't really like wavelanding since everytime I do it in all the situations I use it in I end up getting punished...

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I've been trying to master it, I think it has a good possibility of being useful against Falcos and Foxes, I could be wrong but if I don't try I won't find out.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I've been trying to master it, I think it has a good possibility of being useful against Falcos and Foxes, I could be wrong but if I don't try I won't find out.
Wait? Why is wavelanding good against them but not the rest of the characters?

BTW, I don't like wavelanding, I always waveland into a move or something. I am trying to learn something similar to SHAWBD or whatever with Ness.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
only mentioned them because they're really hard for me to beat. The only other character I have a real problem with is Marth....and his range ***** any attempt at wavelanding. SHAWBD? What's that?

Also, by Waveland into a move you mean you waveland and then Ness attacks, or you waveland directly into the opponent's fist? Cuz the second one is the only reason I've found that the waveland really suffers.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ask on the Luigi boards... too busy to explain it. The Marios are the best at it but anybody with a long wavedash can sorta do it.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
If the enemy is close, a better option than rolling would be to drop and then jump straight up and use an uair so that Ness JUST barely lands on the stage. If you're going to do this though, make sure to master your straight up vertical PKT recovery, just incase you miss the stage. Most of the time you'll end up auto-cancelling this attack, and the hitbox on the side of Ness's head is big enough that most people won't be able to do anything.

Top Bottom