• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge hogging vs what we have in Sm4sh

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I love Smash4's system.

A) It often results in some INSANE ledge play, even in team games, where 90% of the action is currently happening offstage where people keep grabbing the ledge, then releasing in an attempt to hit someone with an aerial, then going back to regrab.

B) It prevents characters with easily ledgeguarded recoveries from immediately being dropped to F-tier. No matter where G-dorf lands on the tier list this time out, it won't be because his recovery is unbelievably easy to ledgeguard.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
I don't personally care for it, but it's definitely a more balanced mechanic. It puts too much emphasis on early gimps and off-stage play for my liking. I prefer a system that has more emphasis on outplaying your opponent in the neutral and a good punish game instead of winning every match with stage spikes.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't personally care for it, but it's definitely a more balanced mechanic. It puts too much emphasis on early gimps and off-stage play for my liking. I prefer a system that has more emphasis on outplaying your opponent in the neutral and a good punish game instead of winning every match with stage spikes.
I dunno. I think the early gimp is much harder now because previously all you had to do was push them off the stage and grab the ledge to take a stock...

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I love the new system. There was a certain skill and elegance to the old way of knocking someone off the ledge and timing the ledge grab so they fall to their deaths, but it always just felt unfair to die that way. Obviously in a competitive game, it's not cheating if it's part of the game, but after surviving a smash and then recovering all the way back to the stage, it feels wrong to die just because your opponent is there. Many characters become completely nonviable just because they can't get around edgehogs.

The new system creates a unique sort of engaging ledge battle while never feeling cheap. It's a great solution to an issue that's been around since SSB 64, and one I never expected them to fix.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Smash4's edge game is far more interesting. Forces some thought into the decisions, and opens up a lot of interesting edge-trump plays that didn't exist under the old system.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Some people say matches become slower because of it, but I think they become more interesting because players can come back one way or the other and counter attack, and ledge guarding actually becomes ledge guarding and not just ledge grabbing and then wait for your opponent to fall down.

Just because of this, more characters become slightly more viable.

You actually have to keep them away from the ledge with air game if you want to guard it.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I'll miss edgehogging, but a new game (sometimes) calls for a few tweaks. I like how sweet spot is nerfed a little, though not enough. Oh I will add though that it looks like you can still down smash some recoveries, but its really precise in timing. I would like it if you could let go of the ledge faster (hurray for Pikachu), but that would mess up ledge trump setups which I do like, but I think you can avoid a ledge trump in many ways for example if you spam A or jump after grabbing a ledge which I don't like (I think... haven't tested excessively yet), but then again can be used for mindgames.

There are some cool edge guards like back-airing your opponent into the stage which also gives the opponent a chance to tech the wall. Being unable to meteor cancel makes spikes rewarding when you land them too.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I think Smash 4 ledge mechanics make watching Smash more entertaining and more tense at times, since someone is not down and out until the KO.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't have a problem with the new ledge if recoveries weren't so damn easy.

Top Bottom