• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

edge guarding with zelda

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
ok when i use to play zelda back in the day i was working on a way to edge guard using nair. It is risky but it can work.

So this is how its done: you jump off the stage at the opponent then you jump and nair at the same time while moving zelda back towards the stage. if done right the opponent will mostly be getting hit by the front half of zelda and when the nair is done he should go flying back away from the stage.

This is a risky move which if missed or done wrong can leave zelda in a bad position. but this could also be a edge guard needed to help zelda's game play.

I don't know if this is already known since it was something i was working on over a year ago and at that time no one else knew about this.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I think this might only be useful against people with terrible recoveries. I remember NinjaLink doing it to Rykoshet's Ike on that one match that ended with a reverse nayru's to dair gimp.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I like using Din's to edgeguard it seems as if whenever I jump off the stage I die and it's not safe either.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
I use this a lot actually and it can work if you do it right. If you get predictable with it you can jump off stage and airdodge back onstage to fool the opponent and possibly upsmash them.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I use this a lot actually and it can work if you do it right. If you get predictable with it you can jump off stage and airdodge back onstage to fool the opponent and possibly upsmash them.
IDK it seems rather risky. According to what kata and mr eh told me about Zelda's aerials it doesn't beat anything and will trade with Zelda getting the worst end of the trade. So unless you're playing a character with A slow aerial or a super bad recovery I think the con's far out weigh the negatives.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Guys, Im planning on writing an edgeguarding thread in a couple minutes, so we can discuss this there yes? Ive got some things for edgeguarding as well.

Ug, Im trying to upload my pics from photobucket here but its being ******** >_>. Its not showing the pic, only the whitebox and red x >_>

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
1st off its good to hear others have learned of this within my year absent.

IDK it seems rather risky. According to what kata and mr eh told me about Zelda's aerials it doesn't beat anything and will trade with Zelda getting the worst end of the trade. So unless you're playing a character with A slow aerial or a super bad recovery I think the con's far out weigh the negatives.
yes it is very risky i would rate the risk a 10 out of 10 and the reward only a 7-8 out of 10. aerials don't work that way there is no priority exactly its more about who hits first thats why there is no clashing in the air (only duel hits or one winning out). And since her nair is disjointed it has a better chance of hitting first and working. it can work on characters depending on their recovery, for ex: you go out you can do this to marth since he can't do much with out it causing him to sd. It could also work on falco but is very risky since his side B spikes. It does not work on mk, snake (b/c wont nock out of his up-B) G&W since his up-B distance and he will hit you if you try it. so its character based and does work on some of the better characters in the game but not all of them

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
1st off its good to hear others have learned of this within my year absent.

yes it is very risky i would rate the risk a 10 out of 10 and the reward only a 7-8 out of 10. aerials don't work that way there is no priority exactly its more about who hits first thats why there is no clashing in the air (only duel hits or one winning out). And since her nair is disjointed it has a better chance of hitting first and working. it can work on characters depending on their recovery, for ex: you go out you can do this to marth since he can't do much with out it causing him to sd. It could also work on falco but is very risky since his side B spikes. It does not work on mk, snake (b/c wont nock out of his up-B) G&W since his up-B distance and he will hit you if you try it. so its character based and does work on some of the better characters in the game but not all of them
Why can't marth fair? then DJ then up B stage spike you? Zelda will be worse off if the aerials trade.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
AIm: yes marth could do that that is why its situational and very risky. also u don't have to be low enough to get stage spiked.

I guess the best way to think about this move is its a way to shock your opponent, no one should see this coming right away and could get you an advantage stock wise,but using it to much is asking to be killing or gimped yourself.

Like i keep saying its very dangerous this is only for the zelda users who are willing to throw caution to the wind and just go for it.

And talking about its danger i just want to bring up that so much of what she can do is dangerous, such as her neutral B momentum cancel if u mess up you die, and her ability to teleport to a edge hog if u mess up you could die. Doing cool things with Zelda u have to be risky

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
AIm: yes marth could do that that is why its situational and very risky. also u don't have to be low enough to get stage spiked.

I guess the best way to think about this move is its a way to shock your opponent, no one should see this coming right away and could get you an advantage stock wise,but using it to much is asking to be killing or gimped yourself.

Like i keep saying its very dangerous this is only for the zelda users who are willing to throw caution to the wind and just go for it.

And talking about its danger i just want to bring up that so much of what she can do is dangerous, such as her neutral B momentum cancel if u mess up you die, and her ability to teleport to a edge hog if u mess up you could die. Doing cool things with Zelda u have to be risky
I don't want to do cool or flashy things with Zelda nor do I want to do things where the risk out weigh the reward.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Aim i am just giving people a way to edge guard that could work besides din's fire if you don't want to be risky don't. in fact during tourney play i have never tried this but it can work i have done it in friendlies. In fact it was only recently i decided when i play zelda i am going to try to be riskier since i think it could improve her metagame.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Im sorry Im really not trying to be rude. But:

1) Could you post with a little better typing. Trying to comprehend what you type sometimes kinda makes me tired :\

2) Isnt that what I tried to do (as in give people some risky/situational things to do offstage), and you came and told me it would never work? And then you say its never been done in tournies. Im just curious as to why your method would work so much better than mine.

3) Zelda is all about risks :)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
1st off as much as u r being rude i am not the best writer so u will have to deal with it.

2n what your thread is doing is giving people ideas that could never work and are risky your method puts you off the stage next to someone who could use invincibility to kill you mine does not, also mine has a chance of working on a smart player yours does not.. i have not said it has never been done in a tournament just i never used it in a tournament.

3rd r u saying she is about risks or are u being sarcastic b/c she is a defensive character? i will answer u like u r sarcastic. She is not about risks what i was saying is almost all her AT are risky and i am thinking about trying to work with them to see how they pay off.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
1st off as much as u r being rude i am not the best writer so u will have to deal with it.

2n what your thread is doing is giving people ideas that could never work and are risky your method puts you off the stage next to someone who could use invincibility to kill you mine does not, also mine has a chance of working on a smart player yours does not.. i have not said it has never been done in a tournament just i never used it in a tournament.

3rd r u saying she is about risks or are u being sarcastic b/c she is a defensive character? i will answer u like u r sarcastic. She is not about risks what i was saying is almost all her AT are risky and i am thinking about trying to work with them to see how they pay off.
Im sorry I really wasnt trying to be rude, I mean if its not possible to type any neater then ok, but its just easier to comprehend what you're saying.

Um, my thread wasnt revolving around what I found. Its for general discussion, for other people to show their findings too. By all means I would love for you to post this there. But, I mean, even you said that this edgeguarding technique is risky and situational, and so is mine, yet you're so set on that mine would never work. I just dont get it. You never even gave it a chance or looked into it at all.

And I wasnt being sarcastic. Zelda has a ton of situational and risky techniques that when all working are great for her, like the NL momentum cancel and ledgewarping. Zelda's cant be afraid to take risks, and she is a risky character. I dont see how I was sarcastic at all.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Im sorry I really wasnt trying to be rude, I mean if its not possible to type any neater then ok, but its just easier to comprehend what you're saying.

Um, my thread wasnt revolving around what I found. Its for general discussion, for other people to show their findings too. By all means I would love for you to post this there. But, I mean, even you said that this edgeguarding technique is risky and situational, and so is mine, yet you're so set on that mine would never work. I just dont get it. You never even gave it a chance or looked into it at all.

And I wasnt being sarcastic. Zelda has a ton of situational and risky techniques that when all working are great for her, like the NL momentum cancel and ledgewarping. Zelda's cant be afraid to take risks, and she is a risky character. I dont see how I was sarcastic at all.
the 2nd part thats were u r wrong. I have tried it that was not a new idea a lot of people have tried it and it does not work i was trying to save people time since its something i and some other zelda's know wont work

the 3rd part. i was not sure what u ment since a lot of people think of her as a defensive character it would of made sense if it was sarcasm. But ether way i was answering it like it was sarcasm so i would not have to explain what i ment later.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Look, honestly Im not going to continue to argue with you because neither of use are going to budge on where we stand. Also, by what those people posted in the thread, my idea wasnt "OMG so old never works noob".

:\ just saying. Whether its gonna be worth it or not, Ive never tested or looked into so I will continue to.

Good day

Top Bottom