• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Edelgard doesn't make it, I'd be fine with for Byleth (though please make the female avatar the default one, she's clearly the more popular of the two)
I don't mean to bring offense, but Male Corrin wasn't exactly the spotlight of the two sexes either. I think the Male one is first because it's usually the first option of the two given to you. Not like Smash dictates whichever one is canon just by whichever one is first. I honestly was against Male Byleth in general because of Chris Niosi, but since they replaced him with Koichi, it's not really an issue on my end anymore.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if they pulled a Robin + Lucina with Byleth and Edelgard, considering how Edie IS one of the more central characters in the story. Heck make their trailer a shout out to the Kostas scene except replace Kostas with whatever Smash character ala Captain Falcon lol.
If any of the 3H characters is going to have a Final Smash, they're going to have a cinematic one like Joker, Banjo, and Hero have. It's obviously gonna be a gambit, too. In my head, I'm imagining that it's going to be something like Assembly/Lure/Onslaught which is lead by Byleth and has, in the charge:

- Edelgard
- Dimitri
- Claude
- Flayn
- Jeralt
- Random Knights of Seiros

I'm assuming they're going to use Pre-Timeskip designs so that's mostly why I choose Flayn (since she'll always join your class) and Jeralt. Can't exactly bring Rhea in, even though she has one of the four routes.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If Edelgard happens I fully expect her design to be that of her Commoner design, with her post-timeskip design being an alternate.

I do expect some things from her promoted forms being incorporated into her Smash appearance.

D

Deleted member

@Shishœ You should post your moveset here. :p
**** u right

***Edelgard von Hresvelg, The Flame Emperor***

**Overview**
Edelgard would be a heavy fighter alongside the likes of Browser and Ganondord, slow but incredibly powerful and resilient, a first for the FE cast in Smash. Although unlike other heavies, she's quite short and small, being slightly shorter than Marth and Lucina.
In battle, she wields the Relic Axe, Aymr, designed especifically for her usage, despite its unusual design, it remains quite deadly. In addition to this, she possesses the power of two Crests, the Minor Crest of Seiros and the Crest of Flames.
Her idle stance is based off her 3H stance as an infantry unit, holding Aymr in her right hand behind her and with her left hand extended forward.
Her default appearance is based off her academy phase design, with her war phase design composing half of her alternate costumes.

**Normals**

*Jab*: Stepping forward, Edelgard swings Aymr diagonally downwards with one hand and then diagonally upwards
*Side Tilt*: From below her left arm, Edelgard swings Aymr horizontally.
*Up Tilt*: Edelgard swings Aymr above her while spinning it once(Based off her standard attack animation as an Armor Lord/Emperor).
*Down Tilt*: While crouching, Edelgard stomps the ground with the tip of Aymr's handle. This move can spike opponents.
*Dash Attack*: With both hands, Edelgard spins and strikes Aymr in front of her(Based off the Combat Art animation for armored units from 3H).

**Aerials**

*Neutral Air*: Edelgard spins horizontally while striking with Aymr, hitting in front of her twice and behind her once.
*Forward Air*: With both hands, Edelgard strikes Aymr diagonally down in front of her(Based off her final attack in the ending cutscene for Crimson Flower).
*Back Air*: Edelgard winds up and then strikes behind her at full force as she turns around. A slow move but incredibly powerful.
*Up Air*: Edelgard spins Aymr above her in a multi-hit move based off Hector's infamous "axecopter".
*Down Air*: Holding Aymr above her, Edelgard slams it down as she falls to the ground. The initial hitbox can spike and a second hitbox appears if she hits the ground, smashing it and covering both her sides(Based off her dodge crit animation as an Armor Lord/Emperor).

**Smash Attacks**
*Forward Smash*: Edelgard smashes Aymr in front of her with both hands. It has a slow startup but will descend quickly once she starts the swing, with its strongest hit being at the very end when it smashes the ground(Based off the Combat Art animation for infantry units in 3H).
If Vow of Flame is active, Edelgard will spin afterwards as she holds Aymr with only one hand and then strike a second time(Based off the Flickering Flower animation for the Emperor class).

*Up Smash*: Edelgard thrusts Aymr upwards and afterwards, the Crest of Seiros manifests, launching opponents away(Based off the Bolt Axe animation for Armor Lord/Emperor from 3H).
If Vow of Flame is active, the Crest of Flames will manifest first, trapping opponents in a multi-hit move before the Crest of Seiros appears and launches them away.

*Down Smash*: Edelgard slams Aymr's handle on the ground in front of her, after a split second a pillar of flames appear in front of her.
If Vow of Flame is active, a second pillar will appear behind her and both will be slightly bigger than normal.

**Grabs and Throws**
*Grab*: Edelgard grabs the opponent with her left hand. While grabbing, she sticks Aymr down on the ground and takes out her dagger.
*Pummel*: Edelgard stabs the opponent with her dagger.
*Forward Throw*: Edelgard stabs the opponent and then kicks them away.
*Back Throw*: Edelgard pushes the opponent behind her and then stabs their back.
*Down Throw*: Edelgard knocks the opponent on the ground and then stabs them while on top of them.
*Up Throw*: Edelgard strikes the opponent with two upwards slashes, with the second launching them away.

**Specials**

**Neutral Special - Lightning Axe**: Aymr is covered in lightning as Edelgard holds it above her and soon afterwards, swings it down as a bolt of lightning strikes down in front of her. The bolt of lightning resembles the one produced by magic weapons in 3H and is about three times Edekgard's size. This move can be held down and the longer it is charged, the further away the bolt of lightning will be from Edelgard, indicated by a flashing blue light on the ground.
If Vow of Flame is active, the bolt of lightning will light up the area it lands in flames for a few seconds, damaging anyone who steps on it.

**Side Special - Flickering Flower**: Edelgard slings Aymr open, quickly spins in place, strikes in front of her and then closes Aymr(Slightly based off her standard crit animation as an Armor Lord/Emperor). This move acts as a command grab and if it connects, Edelgard will swing the opponent as they're trapped in Aymr above her before slamming them on the ground and launching them upwards. While slow, it deals significant damage and reaches quite far in front of Edelgard. If used in the air, Edelgard will fall downwards with the opponent and slam them on the ground or suicide with them if they reach the lower blastzone, much like Ganondorf's Flame Choke.
If Vow of Flame is active, this move will then greatly reduce the opponent's movement speed for a few seconds.

**Up Special - Raging Storm**: Starting from below, Edelgard strikes Aymr upwards as she rises in the air, at the apex of the move, she strikes horizontally twice in front of her before slamming Aymr down, spiking opponents. All of those hits autocombo into one another, making it a powerful move but it isn't the best for recovering, especially as it leaves Edelgard wide open if it misses.
If Vow of Flame is active, connecting the move will prevent Edelgard from going into freefall, allowing her to act again afterwards and even use Raging Storm again.

**Down Special - Vow of Flame**: Edelgard extends her left hand forward, revealing the Crest of Flames and then closes her palm as she "grabs" it, making her body be covered by a fiery aura. By revealing her true strength, Edelgard's moves will gain a fire effect and recover a bit of HP when hitting, and her specials and Smash Attacks will have modified properties for the remainder of that stock. The drawbacks to this are that Edelgard becomes more vulnerable in this state, increasing the damage she takes, and if her damage % is increased by 50% or more(meaning she can heal herself to avoid this), the effect will dissipate. Additionally, Edelgard can choose to disable this move herself by using it again which will not only bring her back to normal status, but will also reduce the damage she takes up until she receives a certain amount. This move can only be used once per stock, meaning that if Edelgard loses it, she won't be able to use it again.

***Final Smash - Raging Flames***
*"I'll strike you down!"*
The Gambit Boost portraits of Edelgard and Byleth will flash on the screen as Edelgard summons Byleth a certain distance from her with both then dashing towards each other while they strike any opponents in their path. If they hit any opponents, a cutscene will play out where Edelgard deploys an exosive cart with Byleth at her side and as she slams Aymr's handle on the ground, the cart explodes in a fiery explosion, then returning to the stage where they are launched away. Afterwards, the place where the explosion happened will be lit up with flames for a while, damaging enemies who step on it. Both Byleths can appear and which one shows up is decided at random much like Joker's different All-Out Attacks.
This was formatted for discord but i aint changing it now
Only thing I changed from the original is adding an aerial variant for Side B though I might revise this moveset in the future

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Fire Emblem Three Houses has sold amazingly well, with 2.29 million copies as of September 30th:

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/9139-f...ink-s-awakening-remake-3-13-million-worldwide

That means it has outsold Xenoblade 2, Arms, is almost on par (if not beyond) with Awekening's lifetime sales and isn't far from what Persona 5 did in its lifetime (2.7 millions since the end of 2016 on both Ps3 and Ps4).

I'd say this only helps the chances of a 3H rep to join!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Fire Emblem Three Houses has sold amazingly well, with 2.29 million copies as of September 30th:

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/9139-f...ink-s-awakening-remake-3-13-million-worldwide

That means it has outsold Xenoblade 2, Arms, is almost on par (if not beyond) with Awekening's lifetime sales and isn't far from what Persona 5 did in its lifetime (2.7 millions since the end of 2016 on both Ps3 and Ps4).

I'd say this only helps the chances of a 3H rep to join!
i agree

but the overabundance of FE in general is still pretty disturbing at the moment.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
i agree

but the overabundance of FE in general is still pretty disturbing at the moment.
I made a twitter account supporting Edelgard in the Smash fanbase, and I've seen a lot of people saying that they will accept another FE character if it's Edelgard or any other non sword users. So the fanbase wouldn't riot with Edlegard as much as with Byleth, and I' quite sure Sakurai and team have seen this kind of feedback.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I made a twitter account supporting Edelgard in the Smash fanbase, and I've seen a lot of people saying that they will accept another FE character if it's Edelgard or any other non sword users. So the fanbase wouldn't riot with Edlegard as much as with Byleth, and I' quite sure Sakurai and team have seen this kind of feedback.
Sakurai himself said there was too much FE, and even then I'd consider Chrom lucky to even get the grace. I wouldn't personally anticipate FE DLC at the moment, but give it maybe another year and I'll consider it.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Problem with the fire emblem representation is that it quite big but all the characters feel the same ..... If they would have fused marth, Roy, Chrom and Lucina into one char like hero for example we certainly would have place for a good fe villain like Edelgard.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Wait, are you Edelgard 4 Smash on Twitter?

Still that is reassuring that people are in support of her. But what does the Japanese community say? Seeing as Nintendo does listen to them more while the people outside of Japan are only bonuses.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Wait, are you Edelgard 4 Smash on Twitter?

Still that is reassuring that people are in support of her. But what does the Japanese community say? Seeing as Nintendo does listen to them more while the people outside of Japan are only bonuses.
Yup, @EdelgardFor is me!

About the japanese fandom it's a lot harder to say, but she is still very popular. If she was really hated we would have known by now.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think the lack of spirits for certain games could be lining up for a 1st party pass. So far we'd have Edelgard (or heaven forbid Byleth), Astral Chain protag, and King Boo. Other than those 3 games, every major 1st party release has had spirits. I would expect a gen 8 pokemon too if we're getting that, so I guess it will be really telling if Animal Crossing New Horizons gets spirits or not.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If what was above regarding Sakurai true: Then I really do hope he does decide to not go for Byleth (or at least as the sole 3H rep if they HAVE to put in the avatar character) and that Nintendo/IS don't force him to like they did with Corrin.

But again it depends if Japan even cares for that sort of stuff compared to the West (seeing as it's primarily the Western audience that's vocal about character selections), considering how big avatar characters are in Japan, thus my constant worries about Byleth being picked as the neutral "safe" option (as much as I admitted partially accepting them back in a previous page).

Sakurai himself said there was too much FE, and even then I'd consider Chrom lucky to even get the grace. I wouldn't personally anticipate FE DLC at the moment, but give it maybe another year and I'll consider it.
All the more I am starting to retroactively hate Corrin's inclusion. It's thanks to them that the "too much FE chars/swordfighters" complaint kicked to overdrive, amongst other things.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
I think the lack of spirits for certain games could be lining up for a 1st party pass. So far we'd have Edelgard (or heaven forbid Byleth), Astral Chain protag, and King Boo. Other than those 3 games, every major 1st party release has had spirits. I would expect a gen 8 pokemon too if we're getting that, so I guess it will be really telling if Animal Crossing New Horizons gets spirits or not.
They could also release a fighter pass of third parties again. But there will be dlc fighter of first party nintendo franchises released along the next year. However they will be sell individually so the people who do not want those fighters could decide to not buy them and buy the fighter pass, that will probably have the most unexpected pics.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Problem with the fire emblem representation is that it quite big but all the characters feel the same .....
It's the other way around, they "look" the same, but the feel is very different: As a Chrom player, playing as Roy is not as smooth as one would think, and it's even worse with Marth and Lucina.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
It's the other way around, they "look" the same, but the feel is very different: As a Chrom player, playing as Roy is not as smooth as one would think, and it's even worse with Marth and Lucina.
This. The jump from Chrom/Roy to Marth feels even worse

Troykv

Smash Master
The look is pretty much the reason why many people see them as the same.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
All the more I am starting to retroactively hate Corrin's inclusion. It's thanks to them that the "too much FE chars/swordfighters" complaint kicked to overdrive, amongst other things.
The year is 20XX. The Smash Fandom remains scarred by Corrin's inclusion...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If what was above regarding Sakurai true: Then I really do hope he does decide to not go for Byleth (or at least as the sole 3H rep if they HAVE to put in the avatar character) and that Nintendo/IS don't force him to like they did with Corrin.

But again it depends if Japan even cares for that sort of stuff compared to the West (seeing as it's primarily the Western audience that's vocal about character selections), considering how big avatar characters are in Japan, thus my constant worries about Byleth being picked as the neutral "safe" option (as much as I admitted partially accepting them back in a previous page).

It's probably the one time Sakurai should have said "No!" to his staff's suggestions. Telling how even he thought the amount of FE in 4 was getting a bit much.

Hell, the guy half-jokingly mentioned how swords are omnipresent in media and "they could use an axe every once in a while". Regardless of mechanics that could be brought by the latest game, there isn't much of anything to make sword lords stand out anymore. This is why people were heavily skeptical of anything interesting being done with :ulthero:, yet Sak pulled it off with aplomb using DQ's rich swag.

At least TH has more main lords than Fates, that's our only solace so far. Also, people vastly prefer girl!Corrin, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I find it interesting how so many people find Edelgard to be too vile to like, yet adore their waifu Lucina who
attempts to murder her husband or mother in cold blood.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sooo, guess what I saw on Twitter?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play this right away (I still need to finish Luigi's Mansion 3, plus Pokemon is just around the corner), but at least I made sure to pick the Black Eagles house again for New Game + even though I had just done the Crimson Flower route.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I find it interesting how so many people find Edelgard to be too vile to like, yet adore their waifu Lucina who
attempts to murder her husband or mother in cold blood.
While I love Edelgard, let's be fair.
Lucina has a breakdown and can't go through with it. Edelgard started a war/revolution which killed thousands and thousands of people.

Sooo, guess what I saw on Twitter?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play this right away (I still need to finish Luigi's Mansion 3, plus Pokemon is just around the corner), but at least I made sure to pick the Black Eagles house again for New Game + even though I had just done the Crimson Flower route.
I'm excited, but super bummed that Anna has no supports! They did my girl dirty. They couldn't give her one with Byleth, at least?

ZelDan

Smash Master
So from what I hear,
Jeritza
is recruitable only during the Crimson Flower route, which works for me as I'm actually in the middle of doing that route for the first time right now.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
So from what I hear,
Jeritza
is recruitable only during the Crimson Flower route, which works for me as I'm actually in the middle of doing that route for the first time right now.
If he is I have no idea how to do it since that was the route I went with first.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
So from what I hear,
Jeritza
Crimson flower route is great but it had a couple of problems... one of them was an incredible big Jeritza shaped hole on it. which looks like it got fixed. (since it was something that needed fixing, intead of something that was added, thats why Jeritza is free AFAIK)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Gayritza is canon. It truly runs in the family.
Based on what exactly? :090: I'm unsure if the DLC is still worth buying since it's not all out yet, but last time you said someone in the Mercedes line was gay I recall it being a heated debate about headcanon.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
While I love Edelgard, let's be fair.
Lucina has a breakdown and can't go through with it. Edelgard started a war/revolution which killed thousands and thousands of people.

I'm excited, but super bummed that Anna has no supports! They did my girl dirty. They couldn't give her one with Byleth, at least?
As far as effects of their actions, sure Edelgard is worse. As far as personal moral compass? Declaring war for what you believe to be a truly just cause is not nearly as bad as trying to murder your own family just because you love your daddy more.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As far as effects of their actions, sure Edelgard is worse. As far as personal moral compass? Declaring war for what you believe to be a truly just cause is not nearly as bad as trying to murder your own family just because you love your daddy more.
From her perspective, that mother just went insane and nearly killed everyone they loved. And could very well do so again.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
From her perspective, that mother just went insane and nearly killed everyone they loved. And could very well do so again.
Might want to spoiler that.
But she didn't try to kill anyone. Lucina assumed she was going to. Most benevolent characters would try to find a way to break the spell first. Lucina immediately decided murder was the answer.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Might want to spoiler that.
But she didn't try to kill anyone. Lucina assumed she was going to. Most benevolent characters would try to find a way to break the spell first. Lucina immediately decided murder was the answer.
Oh brother. Aren't we past spoiler age for that game by now? There's a Grima-possessed Robin floating free in Heroes for crying out loud.

Anyway, murdering Robin wasn't the first thing she tried to change the past. But none of that really worked and so she's getting a bit desperate at that point.

D

Deleted member

If I remember,

Lucina can't even go through with killing Robin (if she's her mom) if you let her. The only reason Lucina even wants to consider it is if it saves the world from Grima, which is far greater a threat as she came from a timeline where Grima won and destroyed the world.

It's not even comparable. Saving the world is less complicated than challenging a flawed but functioning system that spans generations.

E: Wait this isn't the general speculation thread. How am I here?

Last edited by a moderator:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
If I remember,

Lucina can't even go through with killing Robin (if she's her mom) if you let her. The only reason Lucina even wants to consider it is if it saves the world from Grima, which is far greater a threat as she came from a timeline where Grima won and destroyed the world.

It's not even comparable. Saving the world is less complicated than challenging a flawed but functioning system that spans generations.

E: Wait this isn't the general speculation thread. How am I here?
Ironically i dont think you are offtopic.

I think that the biggest thing that resonates with me favoring Edelgard is that at least on crimson flower she is completely aware of what does starting a war actually means, she actually have remorse for teh countless of people that will actually suffer from this indirectly. But the thing that FE3H IMO managed to put so well is that literally there wasn't another way to change a the opressive system. Is not like the church of seiros is the devil itslef either, and Rhea likely geniuenily thinks that she is doing what's best for humanity. but either by pride of stubborness, the church of seiros is totally unwilling to discussion or change, issuing draconic punishment (heh) to anything remotely near insubordination.

I hate real world phsycial violence (maybe it was the main reason why I immediatly loved Linhardt rather than just because it was the queer option) and i dislike violent rioting, not because of that ****ty discourse of "damage against public property" but because here (chile) the ruling power has the monopoly of violence and their method of operating is trying to spark violence in order to let loose their violence. This is not crackpot theory, this is special forces modus operandi that have been documented for over a decade with literally thousands of hours of video footage.

But yet, we have been 13 years protesting peacfully (some people even more), we have done carnivals, costume manifestations, conversatories, open street classrooms, lighting candles, and condening violent disturbs understanding that a lot of times is the very same police that starts this violent disturbs. but during this 13 years, the situation have only gotten worse to teh point that even eldery people doesn't care top go out to teh streets, even if the gasses affects them the most. I can't condone people throwing rocks and breaking glasses of big corporative buildings anymore and setting fires to stuff like mac donalds. because for the first time politicians and media have been forced to not laugh in our faces, and even have to adjust their lies on the fly, exposing them within seconds (right now a news channel was showing footage of violent protest in order to instill fear and disraught while teh government tries to pass some ridiculous anti protest laws, and at the same time tons of people started uploading footage of them watching the news and recording the places were "supposedly" there were violent rioting, and the places were completely normal.)

Thats why i think Edelgard as a character resonated so strongly to me. (even when I love claude) She is weighted down by her decisisions, and is aware of teh repercussion of her actions, but still have decided to go on because there was simply no other way.

So do i see edelgard as a unreleatable dumb hearthless villian? not in a century. and thats why i like her so much, even when she actually takes the role of the villian.

Top Bottom