• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ECRC Event #4 - GameUnicon 09: S.N.E.S. Tournament - August 2009 - MA

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I see. I don' t play much Yu-Gi-Oh anymore, but its just funny when I enter and I just top a regional. It makes me laugh. :laugh:

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Yeah man. Last time I played yugioh was at a regional actually now that I think about. I think I got like 10th place with some gadget build I never even test played with before lmao yugioh is such an easy game D:

how about you. you play MTG at all?

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I did. I'm so far behind now. The best I did was 24th at States when Kamigawa was the Block. I love the game though. No over expensive cards and decks are so diverse.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Yeah man. Last time I played yugioh was at a regional actually now that I think about. I think I got like 10th place with some gadget build I never even test played with before lmao yugioh is such an easy game D:

how about you. you play MTG at all?
MTG is for losers
Teach me how to play when you come.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I hate drafting. Always got a cheater when its comes to drafting. " Hold on let me go get my Land." *Puts broken cards for Draft in deck* :ohwell:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yugioh used to be good fun. Now its turning into trash, and every player is a snobby ******* that acts like they are good, when they haven't even top 4'd a regional before, lulz. MTG will always be the greatest game of all times, no matter what.

I used to play MTG a lot, but my current living conditions and location prevent me from playing any TCG's at all.
MTG community is mostly terrible too =\. Still a great game though, I just have slacked a whole lot because I never really enjoy the community...

St Viers knows whats up.

MTG sealed deck side tourney at this.
I'd do it (and ****)

Iwan

Smash Ace
holy s***.

NEAL??!!???

*dies*

Seriously though, this sounds epic, and to be honest too good to be true. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
ill own anyone in constructed for MTG
I highly doubt this. There is a huge plateau in skill levels of constructed MTG after which the only ways to improve your game are to tighten your play vs. the usual suspects up and be on the cutting edge of deck tech. Unless you're a regular on GP/PT top 32 lists, there's really very little that can distinguish one constructed player from the thousands of other competent constructed players.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
I highly doubt this. There is a huge plateau in skill levels of constructed MTG after which the only ways to improve your game are to tighten your play vs. the usual suspects up and be on the cutting edge of deck tech. Unless you're a regular on GP/PT top 32 lists, there's really very little that can distinguish one constructed player from the thousands of other competent constructed players.
lol, I'll sealed deck MM anybody.

And mogwai, you must not have played MTG or been in the CCG community for long so I'm not gonna touch that assessment lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
lol, I'll sealed deck MM anybody.

And mogwai, you must not have played MTG or been in the CCG community for long so I'm not gonna touch that assessment lol
um, 'scuse me?

I've been playing MTG since Unlimited. I've been part of the competitive community at varying degrees of activity since Tempest. I've drafted weekly with Nick Eisel and Ben Peebles-Mundy at the O at CMU for 3 years throughout college. There are good people out there in the community, but as a whole, it blows. I don't care if MTG is 100 times better than other CCGs about sportsmanship and being a socially acceptable human being, players still tend to fall short of what I expect from them.

I've had good friends in the community and had little sub-communities that are awesome, but either way, when I go to a PTQ, I'm lucky to meet 1 opponent out of the 7/8 rounds who I actually enjoy playing against. This may be my skewed view from having to play the unbelievable d!ckbags around NYC and Philly (I'll just come out and say it, fuck you, Conrad Kolos) for the majority of my career. But one way or another, I'm tired of playing my *** off to beat my opponent's turn 5 Realm Razor on the play at a PTQ, only to have the guy not shake my hand or say good game.

I'll sealed deck MM you. If you're as good as you think you are, it'll just come down to who gets the better pool.

Atrion

Smash Apprentice
I'll go in on sealed or draft or even shards constructed. I just came back after a long time(ice age) so rebuilding now.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
I've been playing MTG since Unlimited. I've been part of the competitive community at varying degrees of activity since Tempest. I've drafted weekly with Nick Eisel and Ben Peebles-Mundy at the O at CMU for 3 years throughout college. There are good people out there in the community, but as a whole, it blows. I don't care if MTG is 100 times better than other CCGs about sportsmanship and being a socially acceptable human being, players still tend to fall short of what I expect from them.

I've had good friends in the community and had little sub-communities that are awesome, but either way, when I go to a PTQ, I'm lucky to meet 1 opponent out of the 7/8 rounds who I actually enjoy playing against. This may be my skewed view from having to play the unbelievable d!ckbags around NYC and Philly (I'll just come out and say it, fuck you, Conrad Kolos) for the majority of my career. But one way or another, I'm tired of playing my *** off to beat my opponent's turn 5 Realm Razor on the play at a PTQ, only to have the guy not shake my hand or say good game.

I'll sealed deck MM you. If you're as good as you think you are, it'll just come down to who gets the better pool.
Ok. You've played MTG for awhile, and you've played with people from CMU. I know who Eisel and Mundy are. I've even read some of his articles. And now that I remember, Eisel got busted at a Pro tour for adding cards to his limited deck, lol.

MTG has one of the best communities out of any card game, and its not amazing, you're right. But I've been playing CCG's since I was 5, and the MTG community is the best of them all. I don't even really know why you brought up this topic either, because I wasn't trying to debate anything about "which community is the best to start with. It is obvious. Maybe you should start playing Yugioh for a few months, go to a regional and SJC, and you'll see what I mean.

**** happens. When you go to a tourney, people will be douches, rulesharks, cheaters, and even theives. I've been through the worst of it with yugioh, and I've seen a huge share of it with MTG, and even Naruto. I've been to many many card stores, and yes, many of the worst ones(and best) were from NY, and some from PA. The one that sticks in my mind recently is Neutral Ground, actually. You can't expect a community to have 100% good basis of people.

Even smash has fucktards and d1ickbags alike, but smash is one of the most rare communties I've ever seen, for reasons known to you and I. After googling Conrad, it seems he has some impressive creds, and I may have even met him once before, but the better people get, the more arrogant, cocky, and worse as a person they will become.

And luck, lol. Luck is a big part of any game. It can win you $10,000, or lose you $10,000 dollars. I've lost to ******** topdecks, and I mean rediculous topdecks, but that doesn't stop me, and it shouldn't stop anybody. I will agree with you on that one. Sportsmanship is one thing MTG lacks entirely.

Heh. I'm retired, and have been for ages now. I do an occasional draft/sealed irl, but most of my time is spent on MWS or apprentice.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
*bunches of stuff*

Heh. I'm retired, and have been for ages now. I do an occasional draft/sealed irl, but most of my time is spent on MWS or apprentice.
That's fine. I only make it to limited PTQs and Pre-Releases anymore. I sorta miss having a weekly/biweekly draft group...

Anyway, you sound like a reasonable person with decent thoughts on this, so I'm not gonna antagonize you on this. I agree that you can't have all good players, but in the semi-pro level of MTG especially, I'd say that over 50% take poor sportsmanship to a whole new level and regardless of whether that's a huge step above all other CCGs, it's still unacceptable. Honestly, I blame parents for not nurturing gaming in kids, so that once a child decides that they don't want to play sports, they no longer have authority figures teaching them to not be douchebags about losing. etc etc etc <insert rant here that no one really cares about>

Moral of the story, smash community is too good. <3

EDIT:
Eisel's mostly a good dude. His story on this issue of his ban is much different from the one you'll see online, so I don't really no what to believe, but I just don't let it affect my judgment of him. Regardless of what happened in the past, he is one of the best limited minds to ever play the game and drafting with him has taught me a lot about what it's all about.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
That's fine. I only make it to limited PTQs and Pre-Releases anymore. I sorta miss having a weekly/biweekly draft group...

Anyway, you sound like a reasonable person with decent thoughts on this, so I'm not gonna antagonize you on this. I agree that you can't have all good players, but in the semi-pro level of MTG especially, I'd say that over 50% take poor sportsmanship to a whole new level and regardless of whether that's a huge step above all other CCGs, it's still unacceptable. Honestly, I blame parents for not nurturing gaming in kids, so that once a child decides that they don't want to play sports, they no longer have authority figures teaching them to not be douchebags about losing. etc etc etc <insert rant here that no one really cares about>

Moral of the story, smash community is too good. <3

EDIT:
Eisel's mostly a good dude. His story on this issue of his ban is much different from the one you'll see online, so I don't really no what to believe, but I just don't let it affect my judgment of him. Regardless of what happened in the past, he is one of the best limited minds to ever play the game and drafting with him has taught me a lot about what it's all about.
Yeah I live in the middle of nowhere, and that is what made me quit :( I was going to attend states, but I don't have a deck. Maybe I'll attend a PTQ sometime soon.

Lol, parents can be a problem, but its also the influence of other players that may change things. If one learns that calling the judge on something as small as one sleeve bigger than another in your deck will get him DQ'd from a tourney for 5 booster boxes, than yes, some players will go that far. This happened to me, and the funny thing was I just bought the pack of sleeves before the draft happened, considering I forgot my limited stuff(lands, etc).

It was game 3, and if I beat him I would have won 5 boosters boxes for 30 dollars, but nope. one miss cut sleeve and I was DQ'd. I could have even gotten banned, but I made the vendor owner, who was a good friend of mine come over and clarify I just bought the sleeves, and I was let go of a ban. So I was lucksacked pretty harshly, and it was technically my fault because I didn't bring my limited stuff, but whatever.

The smash community is amazing, and I've yet to see one better than it.

I don't know him, I won't judge him. He made a mistake, and served his time. I hope he learned his lesson is all.

Iwan

Smash Ace
so like, how much are you guys charging to get pictures with neal? will it be reasonable? Like around 100 dollars per picture? And is there a "Neal Vicinity" fee for entering within like 20 feet of neal?

I refuse to pay more than 50 dollars for a vicinity fee, but that or lower would be.....LIKE BOUT FO PICHAS WIT NEAL

Chum

Smash Apprentice
MTG community is mostly terrible too =\. Still a great game though, I just have slacked a whole lot because I never really enjoy the community...

I'd do it (and ****)
We definitly need to play some time, I need a jump start to get back into magic.

Top Bottom