• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy Pivoting discovery!

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I feel perfect pivoting is a lot easier cause you don't have to change up the control scheme. But hey, if it works for you then by all means change up your control scheme

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Interesting - I think I would have to have both attack and special set to shoulder buttons for this to be useful. And I can see it being very difficult to just hold both of them down the entire match just in case you have to PP.

ACAR

Smash Rookie
You have to pretty much have A & B as the triggers if you use either of the Pro Controllers as shown here.

https://vine.co/v/ezZAhzt2bYi

For Gamecube Controllers just set Z & R trigger to A & B instead, or whatever combination you feel comfy with.

But yeah, this is now practical, good job Daz.
You have just released a new terrible power onto the community.

Also no, it doesn't work with C-stick on tilts :(

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Given what the vine showed, this could work with an original Classic Controller, right?

Right? :(

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
You have to pretty much have A & B as the triggers if you use either of the Pro Controllers as shown here.

https://vine.co/v/ezZAhzt2bYi

For Gamecube Controllers just set Z & R trigger to A & B instead, or whatever combination you feel comfy with.

But yeah, this is now practical, good job Daz.
You have just released a new terrible power onto the community.
For real, though, how is learning to hold L and R for the entire match more practical than just learning to PP?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Well, it works! You do perfect pivot really easily... Unfortunately, you can't input Attacks or Special Moves while doing this.

ACAR

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Because regular PP (or rather the weird twirly walk, does it have a name?) requires absurd amounts of precision, few top player would trouble themselves to actually utilize it during a match, and even they had trouble doing it consistently.

This new method allows you to do it on command without the issues of precision, but with the trade off of having to attack prior to initiating the movement. Characters such as Luigi can utilize this to its fullest while it might inconvenience other characters to try.

Also yeah, the guy in the vine was using a classic controller fi yuo didn't notice. Or did you mean the Wii U Pro controller?

As for it's use, Perfect Pivoting is a fancy movement tool that keeps your character in the neutral position while moving you around, essentially it is Smash 4's version of wave dashing, though it looks waaay dumber.

It keeps your character in the neutral position, allowing you to use tilts and smash attacks on the go.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Because regular PP (or rather the weird twirly walk, does it have a name?) requires absurd amounts of precision, few top player would trouble themselves to actually utilize it during a match, and even they had trouble doing it consistently.

This new method allows you to do it on command without the issues of precision, but with the trade off of having to attack prior to initiating the movement. Characters such as Luigi can utilize this to its fullest while it might inconvenience other characters to try.

Also yeah, the guy in the vine was using a classic controller fi yuo didn't notice. Or did you mean the Wii U Pro controller?
This is a bit of an exageration of how hard PP actually is. Most top players can easily do it but only a few actually utiltze it. I've seen alot of top players PP pretty consistently when messing around.

Anyway still the easier the better in this case.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
This is a bit of an exageration of how hard PP actually is. Most top players can easily do it but only a few actually utiltze it. I've seen alot of top players PP pretty consistently when messing around.

Anyway still the easier the better in this case.
You mean like when Nairo did a Perfect Pivot Taunt with Captain Falcon in a grand final match?

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
It's a frame perfect analog input. If there's a way of doing it that isn't frame perfect, then we should use it.
The only downside is needing to hold A and B, inputting those buttons would mean you would make an attack.
In order to do this you would need to jab first and hold b, it's still not instant.
In a fast situation like this you would be better off using perfect pivoting.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
It's a frame perfect analog input. If there's a way of doing it that isn't frame perfect, then we should use it.
The only downside is needing to hold A and B, inputting those buttons would mean you would make an attack.
In order to do this you would need to jab first and hold b, it's still not instant.
How was the previous method frame perfect again? It can be done during the first 3 frames of a dash by just tapping the control stick slightly in the other direction...

fadgames

Smash Rookie
Saw this done on a Vine somewhere and it's pretty amazing. My issue is that it's still not very practical in application (no debates on perfect pivoting in general, please). Changing up your inputs is like changing up how you play the game.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
In practice, needing to jab first makes it useless. To use this effectively, you will need to hold the triggers down for the whole match. Try using the end-lag of your moves as an opportunity to push the triggers down again. That's basically what I did to use the F-smash while holding an item, before the patch.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
@Quillion Oh man... Oh man... Oh man... they did it! I think you'd get a good kick outta this one :D

Also, do you think Nintendo will want to patch this?

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
I'm doing this on the gamepad and you don't need to attack to start doing the pivots, after a SH just when you hit the ground use the attack button first then instantly press the special move and start pivoting.
4:30 am here I'll post some gifs on how to make this work using not laggy aerials

Last edited:

Jugoken

Smash Cadet
VINE VID EXAMPLE--------> https://twitter.com/cosmowright/status/589399683308609536

GUIDE:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32y24i/a_new_easy_way_to_perform_consecutive_perfect/

IN COPY PASTED WORDS FROM REDDIT USER CREDIT TO JRZFINE:
So, how does it work?
CONTROLS:
This method is by far the easiest to execute on WiiU Pro / Classic controllers due to having two extrashoulder buttons, but this can work on any controler scheme.
~ ZL: Special Move/Attack
~ ZR: Attack / Special Move (needs to not be the same as ZL)
~ C-stick: Smash Attack
That's all you need!
HOW TO EXECUTE:
To do it, you hold both ZL and ZR (do not let go for the entire process), then start a dash and hold the movement stick in that direction. When the dash begins, flick the cstick in the opposite direction, just like you would using a normal pivot. This can be done multiple times in a row by flicking the c stick over and over again in a rhythmic fashion (This is very easy to do after you get a feel for it).
PROS:
~ You can do anything out of perfect pivots, because the game registers you as stationary (Similar to wavedashing in Melee).
~ This method is much more reliable than the normal PPivot method, which allows for more people to take advantage of it.
~ This method also allows you do PPivot back and forth, similar to dashdancing in Melee. It's effectiveness, however, is dependent on the user, since everyone's PPivot travels a different length.
CONS:
~ You are REQUIRED to input either a tilt/jab/special move before you can start preforming the perfect pivots.
~ You cannot attack or use a special until you let go of ZL/ZR, so you have to exit 'pivot mode' in order to attack out of it (Because of this it is advised to attack by letting go and quickly pressing ZL/R again.).
----------------
imo you can get past the con of attacking. You don't have to atk you can press the buttons during the frames of letting your shield drop, or you can do minor A button atk in any direction and then press b quickly after words so it doesn't become a smash atk or another atk. There many possibilities to fake out your opponent and get past wasting a move

Last edited:

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Mmm... It will be interesting to see how this will be used, as it does seem a lot easier to pull off than normal perfect pivoting.

I wonder though, will Nintendo remove this in a later patch? Is it worth learning now?

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
after testing this for some hours I can confirm the following:
You CAN easy PP after shielding
You CAN easy PP after aerials attacks
You CAN easy PP after rolls
You CAN easy PP after spot dodges
You CAN easy PP after airdodge

basically attacking isn't needed at all

Cool

Smash Journeyman
after testing this for some hours I can confirm the following:
You CAN easy PP after shielding
You CAN easy PP after aerials attacks
You CAN easy PP after rolls
You CAN easy PP after spot dodges
You CAN easy PP after airdodge

basically attacking isn't needed at all
THIS is interesting. We may be seeing a lot more PP.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'd like to use this to reliably perfect pivot after a Little Mac D-Throw, but I can't bring myself to use Smash Stick these days. Guess I'll have to grind those inputs out normally.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
anyways in this post I'll put all the examples of easy PP after different inputs

Easy PP after aerials

Easy PP ledgesnap (unlike a normal ledgesnap you can miss it,Its input based)

Easy PP after shielding

Easy PP after spotdodge

Last edited:

Incomming 336

Smash Rookie
This also works with just holding down b and using the c-stick for special moves. You can still do every attack while holding down b (except for special moves). If you do a smash attack though you have to release the b button and press it again. You have to turn Alt. Smash Attack off though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom