• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easiest Character to Pick up?

Nayubz

Smash Rookie
Well, my sister wants to get good at the game.. but since she's small (10) I taught her the basics and came here to ask what the easiest character to get good with is.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
definitely metaknight. he's a top tier char that's easy to pick up. just trust me on this one. Also, mario, kirby, and jigglypuff. Definitely not ike though. why is everyone saying that??? he's too slow.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
toonlink is a horrible choice for a child, they wont know how to set up with projectiles, or take advantage of any other properties...theres no good character thats 'easy to learn' you have to spend time with them all. i guess you can successfully buttonmash with sonic, this isnt advised though, you wont get far.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
toonlink is a horrible choice for a child, they wont know how to set up with projectiles, or take advantage of any other properties...theres no good character thats 'easy to learn' you have to spend time with them all. i guess you can successfully buttonmash with sonic, this isnt advised though, you wont get far.
I was thinking the same thing...Toon Link is not a pick up and play character...

Let her try Pit though. He has great recovery and good B moves, along with smashes and arials. Try that.

aids514

Smash Cadet
definitely metaknight. he's a top tier char that's easy to pick up. just trust me on this one. Also, mario, kirby, and jigglypuff. Definitely not ike though. why is everyone saying that??? he's too slow.
I don't think his 10 year old sister is concerned with tiers....

My personal opinion is that Fox is the easiest to pick up. He's got a very simple moveset with a good recovery (important for begginers) plus he's got a good set of advanced tacticts at this point too so if she gets better, she doesn't necessarily need to switch.

And whoever said Snake....He's got like...the steepest learning curve in the whole game. I think Snake would be a terrible choice. That's just my opinion and, after all, I am only a "Smash Child" haha.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Why not let her pick any characters... just don't beat her up too much unless she really doesn't care, most child like to feel good and play for fun, but losing isn't appealing to all of them, although some really don't care.

There are no simple characters, but there are complicated ones, like Snake, to avoid. Lights one are not recommended either, the kind of Meta Knight or Jigglypuff won't last long for them, they will get hit a lot.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4400333#post4400333

Pit is the easiest to play at first. This doesnt mean any old shmo and pick up Pit and beat someone else whos been playing Pit for a long time or beat any other top player for that matter, but it seems like Pit is easy to start out with, which isnt a bad thing in my opinion. I mained Pit for the first week Brawl was out after all until momocon rolled around, then I switched to Meta Knight that morning :/

Exovel

Smash Ace
I honestly think that Pit and Marth/Ike are the easiest ones to pick up and play. The easiest of those being Pit. Recovery is usually troublesome for beginners, especially younger ones... and his is incredible. His arrows take a bit of skill to control to their full potential, but I don't she will be too concerned with that. I've found that my little bro and his friends struggle the most with the speediest characters and the ones with poor recovery, so I suggest watching out for that.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Let her pick characters she's familiar with, if there aren't any, just let her pick the one shes most attracted to aesthetically and go from there, little kids like to use characters they think look cool or cute

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dunno, G&W?

He's not too hard to use, top tiers never usually are...

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Kirby or Pikachu. I know when I was 10 playing N64 those were definitely the two characters I went for first.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Definitely Kirby. Effective, useful B-moves that don't cause suicides, excellent recovery, and good power. And the bonus is you can try out the B-moves of any character!

Shanky

Smash Cadet
Kirby for sure....Pit is easy to pick up but he is also pretty difficult to KO with if you're a beginner.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'd suggest Luigi, Pit, Pikachu, or Kirby. Mostly because they aren't hard to recover with, and their attacks do what they look like they do.

Dsparil

Smash Rookie
Why not let her pick the character? As long as she picks up something that she likes, she'll stick with it and get better even if it is harder.

If you force her to play a character that doesn't apeal to her, chances are she won't play anymore.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Let her pick characters she's familiar with, if there aren't any, just let her pick the one shes most attracted to aesthetically and go from there, little kids like to use characters they think look cool or cute
Which is why Ike is so popular. :laugh: Just kidding.

But I'd like to say meta knight, great recovery and rapid attacks just what a newb needs.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
For a young scrub, Metaknight would be a good bet. Good fast attacks, that are easy to use, he can be used both slow and fast, and it's very easy to recover with him. Just let him/her have some time with him and they will eventually learn the rest, and then they can start practicing with oter characters if they want to.

Viscano

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Pikachu, Kirby, Toon Link, Ice Climbers, Jiggz, or Yoshi. All characters that a kid would gravitate towards.

Some girls like to play as girl characters, though, so maybe she'd enjoy Peach, Zelda, or ZSS...

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Lol everyone's suggesting different people. RedMage will come over and knock my teeth out if I say Peach SO INSTEAD I'm going to suggest Lucario only because I've seen it done (somewhat).

My brother's girlfriend didn't know how to play video games PERIOD and he wanted to team up against me and a friend. So he taught his girlfriend the basics and told her to choose Lucario. After a few matches she was doing decently for a new player. He taught her Lucario's Double Team and that was...well a great move for her to use 100 times per life.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Ok, i'm going to try and point out all the bad suggestions, whether than make one myself.

Toon Link has a complex trio of projectiles so no.
Ice Climbers can be very weak with unskilled players, and if you wanted her to later move on to advanced tactics.... I'm 17 and Ice Climber chaingrabs give me headaches.
Peach is an extremely advanced character as has been said.
ZSS... come on do you want to teach your ten year old sister that's a role model?
Ike is slow, and his attacks like B> would create many many bad habits if you wanted her to graduate to advanced play.
Luigi has some of the most complex recovery in the game, strange slippery movement, a B> that can SD, and a sweetspotting B^.
G&W is has a very unique playstyle to work with...... but his B moves and recovery are simple, so I'll allow it.
Well those are all the bad suggestions i can read on this page. I think someone said Snake on the last page.... and yes, he was very very stupid. Your sister can't spam Ftilts, she's a prodigy if she can tilt already! And an advanced projectile game she could never graduate to.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Ok, i'm going to try and point out all the bad suggestions, whether than make one myself.

Toon Link has a complex trio of projectiles so no.
Ice Climbers can be very weak with unskilled players, and if you wanted her to later move on to advanced tactics.... I'm 17 and Ice Climber chaingrabs give me headaches.
Peach is an extremely advanced character as has been said.
ZSS... come on do you want to teach your ten year old sister that's a role model?
Ike is slow, and his attacks like B> would create many many bad habits if you wanted her to graduate to advanced play.
Luigi has some of the most complex recovery in the game, strange slippery movement, a B> that can SD, and a sweetspotting B^.
G&W is has a very unique playstyle to work with...... but his B moves and recovery are simple, so I'll allow it.
Well those are all the bad suggestions i can read on this page. I think someone said Snake on the last page.... and yes, he was very very stupid. Your sister can't spam Ftilts, she's a prodigy if she can tilt already! And an advanced projectile game she could never graduate to.
You're eluding to the fact that this young girl is an idiot, and though I don't know the kid I have to say what you're doing here is mildly offensive. I've seen kids get good with Ice Climbers, Peach, Toon Link, Lucario, Zelda, Pikachu, and others. I'll admit that I wouldn't suggest someone like Snake to a kid (especially a young girl who will have little interest in playing any character that isn't either female or an animal) but I think you should give her (and the characters) a little more credit. This game was, after all, intended to bring in an even wider audience (including younger kids) and the characters were--for the most part--designed to accommodate such players.

coolbananas

Smash Cadet
Teh Valley of Justified Bemusement, Norway
We're talking about the main character for a 10 year old girl. Thus, she would have a lack of tactics, would be playing with all items on, and would be a fun to use, rather annoying character, like ROB. She wouldn't be setting up attacks with her projectiles or contemplating the best style of approach.

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I'll go with Meta Knight also. Within an hour of getting Brawl I thought I was awesome with him; then got *****slapped online and started learning missused characters.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Pit.
Why?
Well, he is the the new 'noobcannon'.
He is too strong dispite the fact he is fast and most of hit moves are spammable, he has a reflector, and projectile.
and he has good recovery.

He takes no skill to learn and play well with.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
You guys, we're talking about a 10 year old GIRL. The chances of her wanting to be a male character are slim to nothing. She'll want to be Peach, Zelda, or any of the pokemon choices. That said, I think she should go with Lucario, personally.

Jamizoid

Smash Rookie
Pit. Or anyone who has a nice recovery so she doesn't get KO'ed to easily.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
I think the most important thing to learn as a new player is simply recovery so you should let her play a character that has as un complicated a recovery as possible like captain falcon or link TL etc...

Top Bottom