• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 - Live Event and General Recap

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
With E3 coming to a close, it's time to step back and take stock of this week. Dozens of games were shown over several press conferences. We have compiled a list of notable games from E3. Games from Nintendo are here as well as some other non-Nintendo titles, including some lengthened sections and information on Nintendo's bigger titles presented at E3. For those who want a basic overview of Nintendo's E3, aren't interested in reading, or want to re-watch Nintendo's Live event in all in its glory, check out the video straight below.

Yoshi's Woolly World

Yarn Yoshi, the title in development by Good-Feel company, has been officially announced with a vague launch window and a new name. Yoshi's Woolly World was announced by Takashi Tezuka of Nintendo and Etsunobu Ebisu of Good-Feel during the Nintendo Live Event.

Yoshi's Woolly World is a simple platformer with a unique art style. Everything in the game is "made" of knitted yarn, reminiscent of Kirby's Epic Yarn with a 3D twist. Wooly World takes inspiration and mechanics from previous Yoshi games - most notably the ability to use eggs. In the last "Yarn-styled" game, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's trademark eating mechanic was nowhere to be found.

Yoshi's Woolly World features a two player co-operative play that allows a second player to play as Red Yoshi. Two-player mode will have a Yoshi be able to spit the other Yoshi out as its own egg. This game is planned for release in the first half of 2015.

Hyrule Warriors

"Hyrule Warriors" was announced about five months ago. In the Live Direct, Nintendo showed off some unedited gameplay along with new information, new characters, a release date, and more.

From what was shown at the Nintendo Event, Dynasty Warriors' influence is front and center. For those unfamiliar with Dynasty Warriors, players pick one General character and takes on hundreds of enemies, slashing and attacking their way through hundreds of lesser foes and doing battle with enemy Generals.

The playable characters confirmed so far include shoe-ins Link and Zelda, as well as two more from the Legend of Zelda series' past: Midna (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess) and Impa (various Zelda games). Nintendo says many more playable characters are on the way.

Many other key features of the Dynasty Warriors series are present in Hyrule Warriors. One such feature is the dynamic battle system, where players assist other Generals on the field if they're under pressure. One specific feature new to Hyrule Warriors is stronger bosses and dungeons. It's very possible that multi-stage boss patterns are present in the game as well.

Two-Player mode is all on one screen but makes use of the Wii U touchpad as a map. Hyrule Warriors is set to be released on Sepember 26, 2014.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a Wii U title that takes inspiration from Kirby Canvas Curse on the DS. The player is able to draw paths on the touch screen to move Kirby around. The art style takes inspiration from claymation, from the enemies to the frame-by-frame animations of the line Kirby rides on.

So far it's hard to say where this game will differentiate itself from the first entry in the Curse series, Canvas Curse. Fortunately, with how long it's been since the original game, treading old water isn't a bad thing. Familiarity can be gold for a creative, puzzle-based game such as this - go back to something that works and refine it some.

The biggest defining feature that makes this game stand out from it's predecessor is Kirby's ability to transform into various vehicles.So far, transformations include Tanks, Rockets, and Submarines. This game is currently slated to come out sometime in 2015.

The Legend of Zelda Wii U

The Director of The Legend of Zelda Wii U, Eiji Aonuma began presenting Zelda but discussing how the development team is "Rethinking conventions of Zelda" by focusing his thoughts around Zelda's world. Comparisons were made with the first NES Zelda game, with Aonuma saying he hopes to recapture that feeling of a vast explorable world that made the original so magical.

For the next Zelda game, there will be a heavy emphasis on exploration. The next game will be more open world and expansive, allowing the player to explore freely rather than along a set path. Powerful enemies in a peaceful world seems to be the theme.

In the brief trailer, a character that appears to be Link is shown fighting against a tentacle monster on the horizon. Link uses the horse to chase after the tentacle monster. Link rips off his cloak, exposes his outfit, and pulls out a special arrow that transforms before the trailer cuts fades with the release window: "2015."

The short trailer seems to reveal what appears to be Link, but this may not be the case - Aonuma coyly alluded to the fact that it may have been another character. The Legend of Zelda Wii U is scheduled to come out next year.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Captain Toad from Super Mario 3D World returns with his own game! In Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker the player is able to go through the same puzzle platformer type levels as the Captain Toad levels from Super Mario 3D World but extended into a full out game.

Four stages were shown: A haunted mansion, a mine cart level with first-person shooter controls, and a boss level. Each level is a small cube-shaped microcosm that can be rotated freely with one stick while the player controls Toad with the other stick. The direct Toad controls set this game apart from the similar Captain Toad treasure-hunting levels in Super Mario 3D World.

In each level there are three collectable diamonds and a star which completes the level when collected, Super Mario 3D World-style.

All the levels shown have the graphical power of Super Mario 3D World, but Captain Toad is focused on single-player puzzle than multiplayer platforming. Hopefully, more will be shown soon. Look for more Captain Toad this holiday season!

List of Nintendo Games at E3:
Games at the E3 Nintendo Digital Live event: (Release dates/windows right next to it)

Smash bros Mii trailer:
Smash bros Palutena trailer
Smash bros Pac-Man trailer

Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS October 3rd on 3DS and Winter on Wii U
Yoshi's Wooly World 2015
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Holiday 2014
Bayonetta 2 2014
The Legend of Zelda Wii U 2015
Hyrule Warriors September 26th 2014
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse 2015
Xenoblade Chronicles X 2015
Mario Maker 2015
Splatoon - 2015

Show Floor for Wii U:
Mario Party 10 Unknown Release Date/TBA
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2015
Star Fox TBA
Project Guard TBA
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric November 25th 2014
Project Giant Robot TBA
Art Academy Later in 2014
Devil's Third TBA

Show Floor for 3DS:
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire November 21 2014
Fantasy Life October 2014
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright August 29th
Theathythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call September 16th
Pokemon Art Academy October 2014
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate 2015
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (And on Wii U) Fall
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal November 25th 2014

eShop:
Wii U / 3DS
Shovel Knight
Shantae and the Pirate Curse

Wii U eShop exclusive:
Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition
Nihilumbra
Tengami
Armillo
Affordable Space Adventures
Chariot
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Chromophore: The Two Brothers Director's Cut
6180 the Moon
Teslagrad
A.N.N.E.

3DS eShop exclusive:
Tappingo 2
Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighters

Non-Nintendo

Multi-Platform Titles

Star Wars Battlefront
Assassin's Creed Unity
Rainbow Six
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat X
Far Cry 4
Metal Gear V
Batman Arkham Knight
Dead Island 2

Xbox One

Halo Master Chief Collection
Cuphead
Sunset Overdrive
Phantom Dust
Crackdown 3
Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha'

PlayStation 4

Little Big Planet 3
Uncharted 4
Infamous; First Light
BloodBorne (creator of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls)
ABZU
No Man's Sky
The Order 1866
Let it Die
Grim Fandango

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Game Collector, Musician, Gamer, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He's a friendly guy too. He can be reached on Twitter, @Thirdkoopa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
#SaltySplatoon for APEX 2015!

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Two-Player mode is all on one screen but makes use of the Wii U touchpad as a map. Hyrule Warriors is set to be released on Sepember 26, 2014.
In the Press Conference they explicitly state "You can play two players by using both TV and gamepad. It's not a splitscreen experience."
I assume what you state is probably another option but the way you word it makes it sound like you can't do the thing they specificly mention in the video. You might want to correct that.

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
It's an odd feeling being hyped about a hardcore-looking game like Hyrule Warriors while also being hype about a mellow-looking game like Yoshi's Woolly World...Still can't wait either way though.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The best part from Hyrule Warriors was when they pulled the moon down. Bricks were ****.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Am I the only one who personally thought to myself, "Wow, I have no problems with anything Nintendo talked about. There goes my money for college...."?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Xenoblade Cronicles X and Splaatoon are impressive. but the 3DS C.O.D.E name: Steam is one hell interesting 3DS Game alredy.

And smash have show new pokemon never show in the direct even a curios new and returning assist trophie.

Yes, Shadow the hedgehog is back as a Assist trophies.

This NINTENDO E3 ROCK!!!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I really like the Skull Kid's design (Majora's Mask). It's a shame he doesn't have a more active role in any game (besides being an assist trophy in Smash4, which to be honest, doesn't feel enough for this popular character), not even a re-release of his game for the 3DS since it's the sequel to Ocarina of Time, as well as being just as popular (google Majora's Mask and see how many pages' worth of relevant results you find, and what they all talk about).

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I really like the Skull Kid's design (Majora's Mask). It's a shame he doesn't have a more active role in any game (besides being an assist trophy in Smash4, which to be honest, doesn't feel enough for this popular character), not even a re-release of his game for the 3DS since it's the sequel to Ocarina of Time, as well as being just as popular (google Majora's Mask and see how many pages' worth of relevant results you find, and what they all talk about).
aonuma confirmed that he has heard that the fans want a majora's mask remake. He might not have said that he was going to make it yet, but he definitely knows about the overwhelming popularity.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Before E3 I was actually worried that Nintendo wouldn't show many games for the Wii U. Boy how wrong I was. The Wii U is getting so much love now. Where were all these games last year? On that note, OMG I WANT SPLATOON NOW!!! GIMME IT GIMME IT GIMME A WII U AND IT! IWANTITIWANTITNOW!!!!!!!

......So yea, major hype for that game.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I'm hyped for Palutena, with Pac-Man a near tie.

Now to wait 'til the 3rd of October...

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
aonuma confirmed that he has heard that the fans want a majora's mask remake. He might not have said that he was going to make it yet, but he definitely knows about the overwhelming popularity.
Yeah. If Midna suddenly popping all over the place, Skull Kid will more than likely follow suite.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Nintendo's E3 was definitely impressive. I'm probably going to have to pass on Pokemon OR/AS and Smash 3DS in order to afford all the Wii U stuff I want, along with Codename STEAM.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
The digital event was awesome, so many great games!
Splatoon was my highlight. Give us a mario character with FLUDD in that game! Here are my other highlights form the digital event, enjoy!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Aside from the Obvious Smash.
Looking forward to the following Nintendo games:
Hyrule Warriors - It was either Dynasty Warrirors or another game similar to it that was really really awesome, but I could only play it at a friends house. With Zelda characters and enemies it should be so much more interesting and fun. Definently a must buy.
Yoshi's Wolly World - Kirby's Epic Yarn was awesome, the Yoshi games were awesome. Get the visual style of Epic Yarn, and being made from Good Feel..... You're bound to have..... Good Feels.

Zelda Wii U - The first Zelda was really awesome. Secrets were actually secrets, and it was so awesome when you found things. It was the Skyrim of the NES days (and for quite a long time to come). From what I've seen so far, it looks like Zelda Wii U won't be quite as restrictive when it comes to roaming around.

Mario Maker - If you can have co-op, and if there's bosses, I will definently want this. Otherwise I'll just mildly want this, because it's fun to pretend to be a level designer. I'll make a few nearly impossible levels for myself, then make a bunch of levels that I feel would be the perfect difficulty for the average player (I'm not going to piss my friends off by having them try really hard stuff).

Splatoon looks like it's a nice twist on the FPS genre, and looks very fun. However, from what I've seen it looks a little too much like other FPS games outside of those few special mechanics. I'm not too fond of playing characters that are all little kids, it's weird. I probably won't get the game, even if it has nice potential.

The other games look fine. However, I'm not a fan of Xenoblade X (not a fan of that gameplay style)

As for the the Showfloor:
I will get the artwork games if possible. Maybe I'll actually get myself to pick up drawing, I love drawing but my love for video games is too strong to make me bother with getting good at it. Funnily enough, while I got straight As in school for just about everything, Art was the only class I failed. Perhaps that's why it interests me, because I just can't comprehend how to do it. :bubblebobble:

New Star Fox, Hooray! Hopefully Fox gets a good model, instead of his "box head" that he has been using recently. Also, hopefully it gets a lot of polish like Kid Icarus has been getting. I was worried the Star Fox series might have died after seeing Kid Icarus's gameplay because they are so similar in soo many ways.

Monster Hunter 4 - Must have game. So much fun watching co-op playthroughs of the Monster Hunter Series.

Bah, my post is much longer than I thought it'd be. Just a bunch of good games out there. :bubblebobble:

Jpleb

Smash Rookie
I think it would be cool if Mario occasionally showed up in Splatoon and started cleaning up everyone's goo, sort of like a rebel computer that harms everyone and causes chaos.

Top Bottom