• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dumping textures in dolphin?

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
I know about the "dump textures" check box in graphics>advanced>utilities but I dont know how it works. can someone explain how to dump textures?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
When it is checked, textures rendered in the game will be dumped to

Documents (or whatever your default folder is)\Dolphin Emulator\Dump\GALE01\

It will dump textures anytime you are playing with this box checked. It will not duplicate dumped textures within the folder.

You can be playing the game with the texture dump folder open and see it dynamically dumping textures. If I am trying to find a specific one, like when fox/falco shoots their laser (which we need to investigate, I think theyre just black and white images, meaning the color is stored somewhere in a .dat file?), I would get to the point where I'm in a match --> pause emulator. Delete contents of the GALE01 texture dump folder. Go back to match, and then shoot a laser. It will dump the gun texture and red laser flash (I think thats what it is), and nothing else.

The reason why this works, from what I've found, is that once you boot up Dolphin, it will dump a texture that it sees it for the first time. But then while the emulator is still running, it will not dump any textures is has previously seen, even if you have deleted them from the folder. So in the above example, you would want to make sure that when you fire the gun to get the textures, it is the first time the game is seeing the game textures (on that bootup). So no previous lasers must be shot.

Every dumped texture has an identification of it's "Type", which is the last number in the file name (e.g. _14, _8. This is pertinent information to know if you are trying to replace it with something custom.
http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-hacks-and-you-updated-1-7-11.247119/page-80#post-11921901

Last edited:

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
When it is checked, textures rendered in the game will be dumped to

Documents (or whatever your default folder is)\Dolphin Emulator\Dump\GALE01\

It will dump textures anytime you are playing with this box checked. It will not duplicate dumped textures within the folder.

You can be playing the game with the texture dump folder open and see it dynamically dumping textures. If I am trying to find a specific one, like when fox/falco shoots their laser (which we need to investigate, I think theyre just black and white images, meaning the color is stored somewhere in a .dat file?), I would get to the point where I'm in a match --> pause emulator. Delete contents of the GALE01 texture dump folder. Go back to match, and then shoot a laser. It will dump the gun texture and red laser flash (I think thats what it is), and nothing else.

The reason why this works, from what I've found, is that once you boot up Dolphin, it will dump a texture that it sees it for the first time. But then while the emulator is still running, it will not dump any textures is has previously seen, even if you have deleted them from the folder. So in the above example, you would want to make sure that when you fire the gun to get the textures, it is the first time the game is seeing the game textures (on that bootup). So no previous lasers must be shot.

Every dumped texture has an identification of it's "Type", which is the last number in the file name (e.g. _14, _8. This is pertinent information to know if you are trying to replace it with something custom.
http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-hacks-and-you-updated-1-7-11.247119/page-80#post-11921901
thanks for the explanation, I wanted to take a crack at finding the laser flash and some other things like sheiks needles

Top Bottom