• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dumb Untested Lock

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I was trying to practice the turnip locks and realized that we could probably start nair lock out of dtilt.

Dtilt, footstool/float release, nair. Repeat it a couple times up to maybe 50% and then smash or dair? Dtilt is totally techable but then if people do that just tech chase basically. Anyway if you save it for last stock or sometime during the final game of a set, the opponent won't really be prepared even if they know about it.

I haven't tested this on people but dtilt/footstool/nair strikes me as a very sound way to rack up 60 percent. Especially since landing dtilt is a pretty common occurrence and doesn't really require you to approach like the turnip locks.

Thoughts?

edit: Screwing around on Sonic. From 0% I do (Dtilt, sh footstool float cancel) x 2, then dtilt, Full Hope footstool float cancel, then some combo finisher. I'm pretty sure that they can get out of it past the third rotation.

Last edited:

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, D-tilt > Footstool is a true combo and can be followed up with N-air if you react to the opponent's DI fast enough.
Also, opponents cannot tech D-tilt when they have been locked by N-air or after a footstool, meaning this true combos until around 70% on fast-fallers, from what I can remember.

Keep in mind that a good player will DI away from you, meaning the lock can only be repeated for as long as the stage length allows.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
That's really good that dtilt can't be teched after a reset. We really need easier ways to rack up damage because the greninjas and ryus and other characters have their footstool combos, too. It's kinda ridiculous lol

EOE

Smash Apprentice
That's really good that dtilt can't be teched after a reset. We really need easier ways to rack up damage because the greninjas and ryus and other characters have their footstool combos, too. It's kinda ridiculous lol
That's true. Some ways I like to set this up are after a SH D-air > Footstool or Turnip throw > Footstool.
D-tilt itself is actually really difficult to hit with due to its slow start-up. Some useful ways to land it are baiting and punishing with float and JCFF, performing immediately after a soft-spot N-air, and frame-trapping with Turnips.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
If only we could footstool out of throws lmao.
I'm too lazy.

Okay, so what kind of finishers work best? I've been partial to dtilt -> sh nair (weak hit) -> grab/dthrow -> bair.
Of course they might be able to jump or escape after weak hit nair but screw it, it's a tech chase lol.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I really suck at the footstool combo regardless of the starter, I always somehow mess up the falling Nair.

If only we could footstool out of throws lmao.
You can do the footstool combo from a shorthop Dair though (Shorthop Dair > second jump > float > release > weak Nair hit).

EDIT: oh lol apparently this was already mentioned earlier so ignore what I said :p

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I really suck at the footstool combo regardless of the starter, I always somehow mess up the falling Nair.

You can do the footstool combo from a shorthop Dair though (Shorthop Dair > second jump > float > release > weak Nair hit).
I find this extremely difficult to do. I can never get the timing right.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
It's easy once u find the right timing. For me I have a hard time doing it at 0, but once 5 percent is tacked on I'm a pro.

And with the sh dair or the sh turnip throw u just have to land the hit as a spacing that's comfortable to u. Like when I do the turnip throw I release turnip a little after the apex of the jump so I can space it right since the turnip always sends u away from peach. Just toy around. We gotta do this in tournament so we can be swag. Don't you wanna be swag??

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I'll try this week, lol. I have a tournament this weekend and it'll be streamed on Events2compete's twitch page.

There will be a lot of swag if I pull it off.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
LOL, and the rainbow came out so clearly you don't even have to do it that fast. That lock looks maaaad easy xD

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Holy ****. I wish I could do that. Going to try really working it this weekend. Footstool to float is just so hard to mess up one of those times.

Last edited:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Ok, so the stuff I posted in the OP works. It's kinda easy and very reasonable to pull off in game.

But that stuff Yaaay posted is haaaaaaard. I either do the uair too fast or too slow. @ EOE EOE !!! Resident technical expert! How the **** does that uair/footstool lock work? Break it down if you have it figured out lol

EOE

Smash Apprentice
But that stuff Yaaay posted is haaaaaaard. I either do the uair too fast or too slow. @ EOE EOE !!! Resident technical expert! How the **** does that uair/footstool lock work? Break it down if you have it figured out lol
I saw this on Youtube a few months ago and didn't think it was guaranteed. Having tested it myself, the opponent is in hitstun until their descent after being hit by the first hit of a ground-float U-air. This means that a footstool is a guaranteed follow-up, as shown in the video. Fastfallers like Sheik and Fox remain grounded during the footstool, and so the combo can be repeated. Other characters are aerial during the footstool, and instead can be followed up with a N-air lock.

I'm going to make a video about it soon - it's a nice 0-death lock on all mid-height and tall characters if you have the stage length to work with! =)

Last edited:

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
Yo im sure this is easier with c stick made attack. Doing float into an uair is mad hard doing inputs.

Key313

Smash Cadet
That's excellent! My problem is timing the uair. I'm not sure how to land the spike with it.
Your landing is what stops the second hit. I find it easier to do a floating d-air and then right after the last hit release the float and input the u-air. After that I would practice the the short hop d-air method. I agree with Lemonade on the c stick. D-tilt to a ground float u-air could help for practice too. You can attempt it several times before their percent gets too high.

Top Bottom