• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dumb things you did/thought as a kid

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Admit it, we all had a few screws loose when we were younger. This is where we put those screws after they've fallen out.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I believed in Kids Shows, so I actually thought a talking sponge existed back then. (This was I was really young back then)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I believed in Kids Shows, so I actually thought a talking sponge existed back then. (This was I was really young back then)
This is more common than you think. For quite a while, I thought that if I wanted it hard enough, I'd get a living, breathing pokémon... o_o

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I thought a serial killer was a person who kills people, except instead of blood that comes from their victims wounds, cereal pours out instead.

Also, when I first heard of the concept of god, I pictured god to be a man with a graduation cap & gown with a diploma in hand, watching me from the clouds.

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
I always believed the whole "mash a " to catch a Pokemon in any ball thing. I also believed that if I didn't go to bed by 10:30, the late night ghost would come and posses me for the rest of eternity.

D

Deleted member

I believed if I slept while facing the wrong side, I would have nightmares.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Idk if you know of these, but on the swedish countryside, there are these balls of hay wrapped in white plastic on some places. I used to believe they were teeth from giants.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If you didn't get off the escalator fast enough you'd get pulled underneath.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I believed in Luigi in Super Mario 64. I also thought Mewtwo was the best character in Melee simply because he was the hardest to unlock.

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
I thought "tomorrow" was spelled "tommorow" and I thought "Wednesday" was spelled "Wensday".

Literally no one corrected me until first year university.

WHAT THE ACTUAL H.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
THE MOST EMBARRASSING Thing in my life was back in first grade... I said I "Liked" my friend (It was a girl btw, and we were not dating like younger kids these days) when talking to my other friend. Back then I thought "Like" was something similar to: "I 'Like' this ice cream". But as stupid as I was back then, I never, I repeat... NEVER Learned ANYTHING useful and my friend took it the wrong way... but after my friend understood what I thought "Like" WAS, I learned what "Like" Really meant and we still hung out up until 3rd grade. The WORST thing in my life.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Since mario jumped into/ out of sewers, I ACTUALLY WENT INTO A SEWER TO FIND BLOCKS WITH QUESTION MARKS when I was 7. It was an interesting day when my parents found me there

Yurika

Smash Rookie
When I thought that my Level 100 Charizard traded over from my Red Version would singlehandedly beat Yellow version for me and all it just did was not obey me.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
One of the dumber things I've done was tape a boogie board to a longboard and go down huge hills going down head first. It was definitely a lot of fun, but thinking back on it, it was really stupid.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
While it's on my mind, here's some Smash-related ones.
  • I thought :4ness::popo::4kirby: were all from the same universe because of their eye shapes. (64 Ness being fought on Dream Land to unlock him and the Iceys often teaming up with Kirby in Melee's Classic Mode certainly didn't help with that.)
  • I insisted that :4samus: was a robot.
  • My brother and I really, really thought :4wario2: was the fourth unlockable character in 64. We had no idea how to unlock :4luigi:, so we assumed that he was unplayable like Metal Mario.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
I thought there was a secret extra temple in OoT called the smoke temple that was hidden in death mountain, and that the only way to get there was to find a way to get epona to ride up to death mountain.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Just in general, I would try out most of the "cheats and secrets" from Gamefaqs that were obvious lies. Like getting the mist stone in pokemon yellow or battling Mewthree. I wanted to believe.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I didn't believe in silent letterss and pronounced my words how they were spelled.
For example, I'd spell "Wednesday" "Wensday" because it you're gonna spell it Wednesday, you should be saying "WED-nes-day:. I'd also say Moose and Meese because of Goose and Geese. I sound like the Bull**** Man right now but being the above-average kid I was... I just thought logically.

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
I believed that becoming a super Saiyen was possible if I focused hard enough. I also believed that if I made a wizard's broom and believed I could use it to fly, I would, just like in Kiki's Delivery Service. The results of both of these led me to have disbelief in myself, and led me to believe that I had holes in my faith, because I did not become a super Saiyen and I never did fly with that broom of mine that I made from a stick and bristles. I was a troubled child.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I used to be terrified that tornadoes would attack my house if God thought we were bad. I have no idea where I got the idea, but there ya go.

Last edited:

Nooph

Smash Cadet
I believed that becoming a super Saiyen was possible if I focused hard enough.
you reminded me of this video that i personally think is pretty great:

on-topic, i used to believe that running with your arms behind your back truly made you run faster. i used to be that guy.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I used to be absolutely frightened of Bloody Mary when I was younger, thinking she was real.
I would never "risk my life" going to the bathroom at night.

Nooph

Smash Cadet
I used to be absolutely frightened of Bloody Mary when I was younger, thinking she was real.
I would never "risk my life" going to the bathroom at night.
what are you talking about i still don't risk my life for that

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There was this big sinkhole near the playground of my old elementary school, and I was scared of it, so I made up a legend of a gigantic rock-eating snake that lived down there that would grant you good luck if you fed it.
I hoped that if enough people did it, it would fill up the hole. It didn't, but a school legend was born all the same.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
That's actually kinda brilliant.
I will make sure it will be written down in that school's history. That's how brilliant it is.

One more dumb thing I thought: I thought that the hidden character picture in the instruction manual (next to the link info) was an actual character and when I fight that character, the stage would be a FD form of the underground temple (from adventure mode in the game) as like a weird shadow character. However, all along, the picture today I figured out was actually :falcomelee: messed up. Oh my childhood imagination...

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I've thought the original XBOX was... a Speaker. In Portuguese, Box means Caixa, and a Speaker is "Caixa de Som" (literally Sound Box). Since it had "Box" on the name, I simply assumed it. Back then, I did not see a XBOX in person!

Zekkaran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zekkaran
3DS FC
0791-3028-9167
i believed that ridley was gonna be in smash melee because of the cinematic intro and tried everything to get him.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I tried doing bike swordfighting once. It was a good thing I practiced before calling up my friends, because literally the first time I tried swinging my wooden sword I fell off and knocked the wind out of myself. I had to lay in the road for a few minutes before being able to move again. On a related note, this also put the kibosh on my idea to strap my Duel Disk to my bike
and play Yu-Gi-Oh.

One of my friends had a mom who had the capability to make three-way phone calls. We used this feature a lot. Being a dumb kid, I called it a "three-way" for short. It took a few years for me to realize why my folks thought this was so funny.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
When I was like 2, I thought aeroplanes were just small things that flew through the sky.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I thought "tomorrow" was spelled "tommorow" and I thought "Wednesday" was spelled "Wensday".

Literally no one corrected me until first year university.

WHAT THE ACTUAL H.
Wow. Worst teachers ever :/

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
A fun anecdote, my Scottish physics teacher back in school used to pronounce Wednesday as "Wedens-day".

Brilliant

Top Bottom