• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt Projectile Thread

Spirst

I've noticed that there hasn't been much in-depth discussion about Duck Hunt's projectile game. As an integral part of the character, it is vital to understand how the projectiles function. Here is a list of the projectiles in relation to other projectiles in the game.

Note: The gunmen each have exactly 5% HP and attacking them has no effect on stale move negation. Also of note is that if a can explodes on you, you take 8%. If a can explodes on someone else, they take 10%.

OHKO-One Hit KO

:4bowser::4charizard:

Fire Breath/Flamethrower

Vs Can: Fire goes through the can but does not move it until the flame is closest to the point of origin (the mouth).

Vs Clay Pigeon: Pigeon is destroyed.

Vs Gunmen: Destroys gunmen in a short time. Gunmen can fire through the flame.

:4bowserjr:

Cannonball

Vs Can: Goes through the can unaffected and pushes it.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Destroys clay pigeon and continues unafeected.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunman and continues unaffected.

Mechakoopa

Note: The Mechakoopa has 7% health.

Vs Can: Goes through the can unaffected.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Clay pigeon momentum stopped. Koopa marches on forward.

Vs Gunmen: Goes through gunman but does not KO it.

:4diddy:

Peanut Popgun

Vs Can: Gets cancelled and pushes can.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Gets cancelled while Clay Pigeon is unaffected.

Vs Gunmen: When charged, OHKOs gunman and gets cancelled.

Banana

When thrown, the gunmen is OHKOd and the banana is cancelled.

:4drmario:

Megavitamins

Vs Can: Gets cancelled.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Destroys clay pigeon and gets cancelled.

Vs Gunmen: Gets cancelled. Does not KO gunman.

:4gaw:

Chef

Vs Can: Bits get cancelled.

Vs Clay Pigeon Goes through food bits but ultimately gets destroyed by the pan hitbox.

Vs Gunmen: Gunman can tank multiple hits and shoot through.

:4greninja:

Water Shuriken

Fully charged water shurikens will go through every single projectile as well as destroy the clay pigeon.

Uncharged water shurikens will get cancelled by all projectiles. Completely uncharged shurikens will not OHKO the gunmen until three are used. Medium charged ones can OHKO gunmen.

:4dedede:

Gordo Throw

In order for a gordo to be reflected, a minimum of 3% must be dealt to the gordo.

Vs Can: Stagnant can will halt momentum of gordo. Bouncing can will reflect it back.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Pigeon is destroyed and gordo momentum is halted.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunman and momentum halted.

:4link::4tlink:

Note: In neutral position for Link, all gunmen shots will be deflected. Clay pigeons connecting with the Hylian Shield will bounce up. If a pigeon is shot as it is tossed, it can still hurt Link. Clay pigeons should be thrown near his feet.

Hero's Bow

Arrows will go over the can. However, if the two interact:

Vs Can: Gets cancelled. Hits can back.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Sends clay pigeon momentum vertically. Arrow gets cancelled.

Vs Gunmen: Charged arrows OHKO gunman and gets cancelled.

Boomerang

Vs Can: Boomerang cancelled. Can reflected.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Clay pigeon destroyed. Boomerang sent back.

Vs Gunmen: Gunmen OHKOd. Boomerang sent back.

Bomb

Vs Can: Explodes on can.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Both are destroyed.

Vs Gunmen: Explodes and OHKOs gunman.

:4lucario:

Aura Sphere

Vs Can: Regardless of aura boost, will always get cancelled by the can.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Pigeon destroyed and aura sphere cancelled. Aura sphere will always be cancelled.

Vs Gunmen: Gunman gets OHKOd if charged. However, a gunman will always tank an aura sphere regardless of boosts.

:4luigi::4mario:

Fireball

Vs Can: Gets cancelled and knocks can back.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Pigeon is destroyed and fireball is cancelled out.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunman and gets cancelled. If Mario's fireball isn't fresh, it will not OHKO the gunman.

:4megaman:

Metal Blade

Metal Blade will pierce through every projectile.

Crash Bomber

Vs Can: Blows up.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Both get destroyed.

Vs Gunmen: Explodes on gunman but the last hit hurts Duck Hunt.

Leaf Shield

Leaf Shield will go through every projectile.

Mega Buster (Lemons)

Gets cancelled by every projectile. Takes two to break clay pigeon.

Charge Shot

Gets cancelled by every projectile.

:4ness:

PK Thunder

Gets cancelled by all projectiles. A can interrupt his PK thunder and gimps him. Very funny stuff.

PK Fire

PK Fire actives on all the projectiles.

:4pacman:

Bonus Fruit

With the exception of the key, which goes through every projectile, every other item will be cancelled by any projectile.

:4peach:

Turnips

Vs Can: Gets cancelled out and knocks can back.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Destroys pigeon and gets cancelled.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunman and gets cancelled.

:4pikachu:

Thunder Jolt

Vs Pigeon: Gets cancelled. Clay Pigeon goes through.

Vs Gunmen: Gets cancelled. Takes two jolts to KO the gunman.

:4pit::4darkpit:

Arrows

Vs Can: In neutral, too high an angle.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Gets cancelled and pigeon momentum goes vertical.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunmen and get cancelled.

:4rob:

Laser

The laser will go through every projectile and hit you.

Gyro

When thrown: the gyro is cancelled by all projectiles.

:4robinm:

Thoron goes through all projectiles.

Arcfire

Vs Can: Fire activates on can. If the fire moves the can, it will be towards Robin.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Fire activates on clay pigeon and both are cancelled.

Vs Gunman: Fire activates on gunman and OHKOs it.

:rosalina:

Luma possesses about 48%-50% HP.

Luma Shot

Vs Can: Can is pushed far away and Luma goes through.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Clay pigeon is destroyed and Luma goes through.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunman and Luma goes through.

Star Bits

Vs Can: Star bits go through.

Vs Pigeon: Pigeon goes through star bits unaffected.

Vs Gunmen: If all hits land, OHKOs gunman and goes through.

:4sheik:

Needle

Vs Can: Can cancels all needles.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Clay pigeon gets destroyed and needles are cancelled.

Vs Gunmen: Gunman sometimes tanks all needles and is OHKOd. (Have had mixed results, need more testing).

Burst Grenade

Vs Can: Activates on can and explodes.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Activates on clay pigeon and explodes.

Vs Gunmen: Activates on gunman and explodes. If you're right behind the gunman, you will get sucked in.

:4samus:

Charge Shot

Vs Can: Gets cancelled by the can.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Destroys clay pigeon and gets cancelled.

Missiles

Vs Can: Explodes on can if hits.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Both are destroyed.

:4villager:

Lloid Rocket

Regardless of whether Villager is riding it or not, it will always get cancelled by any of the projectiles and if Villager is riding it, he will get sent up as if he connected with you.

Additionally, the gunman shots can penetrate through the tree. Feel free to shoot any Villagers trying to camp behind the tree.

:4wario2:

Wario can use Bite to eat both the can and the clay pigeon. He cannot eat a gunman.

:4wiifit:

Sun Salutation

Vs Clay Pigeon: Gets cancelled and destroys clay pigeon.

Header

Vs Clay Pigeon: Breaks clay pigeon and momentum halted.

:4yoshi:

Egg Throw

Vs Can: Egg is broken. Delicious.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Egg is broken. Clay pigeon momentum pushed vertically.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunmen and gets cancelled/broken.

:4zss:

Paralyzer

Vs Can: Gets cancelled. Can pushed.

Vs Clay Pigeon: Both get cancelled.

Vs Gunmen: OHKOs gunmen and gets cancelled.

Something I've observed is that the can will sometimes get pushed back or not pushed at all even if hit by the same projectile. For example, a Mega Man fsmash will sometimes send the can flying back and sometime, the can will remain stagnant. One pattern I've noticed is that if a projectile connects on the upper part of the can, it will have no affect. If it connects along the center of the can, the can will be pushed. Overall though, the can seems to have some inconsistent properties.

Additionally, the can seems to retain momentum from a projectile if it isn't pushed away. If Lucario does a fully charged aura sphere at high percents and the can is bounced through and laid on the ground, jabbing it once will send the can flying back as if the aura sphere connected.

For projectile heavy characters such as Mega Man, I STRONGLY recommend using the Mega Gunmen (Custom 3). The Mega Gunmen have 25% HP, which is 5x the HP a default gunman has. It can tank a fully charged Mega Man fsmash, and three lemons. A Mega Gunman can be used as a shield to negate projectiles such as Samus' missile spam, Mega Man projectile spam (with the exception of metal blade/leaf shield) and so forth.

EXTRA INFORMATION:

Uses for Gunmen: http://smashboards.com/threads/thoughts-and-uses-for-gunmen.376433/

Can Shenanigans: http://smashboards.com/threads/fun-and-games-with-cans.376053/

General Duck Hunt Guide: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-duck-hunt-dog-players-guide-ko-percents-added.371263/

Last edited:

Spirst

great info, thank you for this
No problem, glad at least someone has commented. I'm planning on updating this with some stuff I missed (Pacman fire hydrant, Miis, etc) as well as providing a writeup on how each attack interacts with the can.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Maybe this is the place to post, but I've found that when locked in a multihit combo (Multiple jabs, fire breath, etc) Duck Hunt can throw a clay pidgeon to help himself get out of it (If he's not too high off the ground). I feel this is an effective way to reduce the damage taken while also inflicting a little bit and providing for a quick follow up setup.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this is the place to post, but I've found that when locked in a multihit combo (Multiple jabs, fire breath, etc) Duck Hunt can throw a clay pidgeon to help himself get out of it (If he's not too high off the ground). I feel this is an effective way to reduce the damage taken while also inflicting a little bit and providing for a quick follow up setup.
Can also throw out the can

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
I feel like I shouldn't have posted on this. Just saw that the last reply was 4 months ago.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Any info on each specific gunman as well as the customs? Fire frame, hp, damage for each gunman/quick/mega

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Not sure what is on-topic about this projectile discussion, but my points are projectile related:

There's a huge discrepancy between duck hunt duo can launch and villager pocketed can launch:

Villager can launch duck hunt duo to KO with a pocketed can at a mere 94% (compared to duck hunt launching villager at something about 170%).

Even more curiously, a villager will launch himself with the can much more (about the 94% level) than duck hunt. So in terms of metagame, you want to avoid a villager pocketed can at all costs, but try to get the villager to self-KO with his own can (in theory you can prematurely detonate with a frisbee, but most will walk or roll into their own can assuming normal DHD-esque physics are in effect).

Some frisbee override/cancel/interrupts:

In terms of frisbee, it seems like during the initial launch, it can be easily destroyed (either the opponent's projectile will cancel or override), but once it reaches roughly midway, it can override/destroy one other (similar damage) projectile before the next projectile will cancel or override. The shots fired at it will also destroy projectiles (so it's good for clearing a wall).

On frisbee:

Projectiles I've seen it override are:
Pikachu's arcing bolt
Mario's fireball
Luigi's fireball
Samus' homing rocket
Low powered mewtwo psychic ball
Low powered lucario psychic ball
Low powered Link/Toon Link's bow
Fox's laser (sometimes up to two will be overridden)
Falco's laser (only once)

Projectiles I've seen that override it are:
ROB's laser (second and third stage)
Bowser Jr's cannonball (regardless of charge)
Megaman's metal disc
Megaman's thrown leaf shield
Bowser's flame (if that's considered a 'projectile'?)
Charizard's flame (if that's considered a 'projectile'?)
Kirby's sword... thing
Shiek's needles

Projectiles that I've seen it will cancel:
Mewtwo's high powered psychic ball
Lucario's high powered psychic ball
Link's bomb (doesn't nullify explosion)
Link's mid-to-full charged bow shot
Both of Ryu's projectile moves
Peach's bob-omb
Diddy's peanut shot (mid-high charge)
Samus' forward (non-homing) missile
Zero suit samus' (slightly and above) charged shot
Villager's rocket

Projectiles that I've seen it will interrupt/stop (but not necessarily cancel):
Diddy's banana peel
Peach's vegetable/Mr Saturn
Ness' PK fire
Lucas' PK fire
Robin's arc fire
Any slightly charged variant of Robin's projectiles (especially arc thunder)
Any of Pacman's projectiles (except the key and the yellow flying key thing)
Dedede's spiky ball (depends on speed: slower = interrupt)
Duck hunt duo's can
ROB's spinning top

I don't recall the others off the top of my head.

A great way to counter projectile spammers is to 'set up shop' - either by deploying gunman or can as a protective shield against incoming projectiles, and then deploying frisbee (which will be protected until it leaves the shield).

Classically, I find gunman works best for Fox and Falco's laser, and the can works best for nullifying Link/Toon Link arrow spam (as the shot curves and often collides with the can, but the can also can survive the higher damage shots - one arrow will take down a gunman, versus several lasers).

Projectile air attacks

One thing I do encourage duck hunt duo players to do (which I often find rarely is the case) is to deploy the gunmen and, if able, the frisbee in the air. It's often an ovelooked technique, and most non-DHD players (IE the opponent) will not know the timing of the gunmen or their range, which often forces either a poorly timed dodge, or another jump (usually into up-B and thus freefall).

I often find by deploying an airborne gunman on an opponent who is recovering, their lack of knowledge on DHD forces them to do either a bad landing, a bad dodge (sometimes the gunman still gets them) or another jump, which opens for spike, a forward/back air or an up air (in that order). Done right, it can interrupt an up-B without giving the same air time as a can, usually causing KO. Some players will attack the gunman in the air, which can leave them in a vulnerable attack lock.

Frisbee in mid-air is a great way to deal with 'unapproachable' characters with large area of attacks in the air (such as Ike), but pretty difficult to utilise.

Ness/Lucas

Regarding their PSI magnet, although they can't absorb the projectiles (being physical), they can absorb the can's explosion (if it denotes without hitting them). Bizarrely, their bats can deflect the gunman's bullet.

Top Bottom